Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Do people here already forgot how much Xbox got positive news and threads in here for like last 6 months?

And when they have one bad show, people are all doom and gloom bla bla.

When MS shows first party games, everyone Will forget that last show they had. And none will remember it when new consoles release....

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Guys, truly, who cares what they way in other threads or what the narrative is. When I read "Xbox has no games" I'm just done. This has always been bullshit.

Next gen Xbox is going to be a force to be reckoned with and the studios at XGS using UE will be the proof of that. People actually even speculating that XSX can't do these tech demo graphics.....i can only say this...miss me with that nonsense. Lol.

Logic truly goes right out of the window for some people it seems.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Do people here already forgot how much Xbox got positive news and threads in here for like last 6 months?

When MS shows first party games, everyone Will forget that last show they had. And none will remember it when new consoles release....
I don't even think the bad show is the source of this. It's just what have you done for me lately to the gamer crowd. I'm sure when they show their 1st party stuff it'll be fine.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Sony definitely made a very clever marketing coup there. Xbox must have known this showcase was coming, right? Last week's showing is a bit questionable in this sense. However, they have plenty of time to bounce back. And it's crazy to me that people have forgotten Hellblade 2, Halo Infinite and the Flight Simulator as graphical showcases for Xbox. But no surprise there, given that most on ERA voted that "nobody can match/surpass Sony's visuals" in that one thread from the other day.
I'm not a partisan of any consoles. I owned Xbox and PS, and even Nintendo at some point in time.

I just think the Xbox marketing has just massively effed up, when showcasing these games. They have not done a great job at convincing the audience that this is exceptional, and how it will revolutionize the industry.

I do agree that Hellblade 2 looked stunning, but the editing of that trailer even suggested that this is CGI, which is a compliment in a way for Ninja/Microsoft. They still did not really explore the fact that this is what we could expect the game to look like, and pussyfooted around by saying it's in-engine. Just commit, show it or don't show it.

Same with Halo. Show all of this is actually playable. Xbox needs to diversify its catalog. Make games that are unique, not your typical shooter, avoid main characters that have been seen and rehashed. Have your franchise that brings back people over, but also try to get that niche audience with a more unique experience. I think Senua is a great step in that way.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
Sony ate MS' lunch today and didnt have to show a single game to do it.

What's even funnier is that they don't even use UE much at all in their first party output.

It's incredibly savvy marketing and it just goes to show how Sony understands the art of communication in ways that the team behind Xbox never have.

Rukari said it perfectly, though I'll paraphrase: understand your product, understand what you're showing, understand the audience you're showing it to, and treat people like adults where appropriate - and when it's with the hardcore segment of your audience, that means all the time.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
its there new gi

Lumen, a fully dynamic global illumination solution that immediately reacts to scene and light changes.

hardware RT can be added by a dev!! my eyes!!

I know what's it's called, I just wanna know how they did it. Global Illumination usually involves some kind of physical simulation.

But yeah, next gen is gonna be gorgeous. This lighting and these smart high polygon rendering stuff is gonna give so much more opportunities for environments that react and feel real, especially with Chaos and Epics recent purchases like Cloudgine, Cubic Motion and 3Lateral. Unreal Engine 5 is going to have a crazy feature set, love to see it.

Nov 23, 2018
An opinion poll. Come on you know it is an biased poll. Such threads should be shut down immediately imo there is nothing to gain from.

And yes graphics matter always I would even say but it is up to each individual what kind of graphics appeal to one.

Millions of fortnite fans plead for cartoonish graphics and millions of Cod fans ead for realistic graphics..... Art design is what is most important if you ask me. Every game can look beautiful in its own way.
By opinion I mean subjective, biased.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Absolutely, and that's why they need to come out swinging, knock it out of the park in July, because you can be sure their competition sure as heck will. :)

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
UE5 looks amazing and looks like a huge leap for games. Reducing 30fps and 1440p is disappointing but still looks amazing. Looks lovely.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
So let me get this straight.

Any project now in development on UE4 can easily be ported over to UE5 when that releases next year?

So...

Playground (RPG studio)
The Initiative
The Coalition
Compulsion
Ninja Theory

Etcetera,. Will likely all be UE5 games? Oh snap!

Microsoft studios have historically shared technology with Epic to improve UE.

I would be shocked if Rare and Coalition in particular haven't been working with them on UE5 for years already.

Last edited:

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Guys, truly, who cares what they way in other threads or what the narrative is. When I read "Xbox has no games" I'm just done. This has always been bullshit.

Next gen Xbox is going to be a force to be reckoned with and the studios at XGS using UE will be the proof of that. People actually even speculating that XSX can't do these tech demo graphics.....i can only say this...miss me with that nonsense. Lol.

XGS will shine

dont worry about the false concern crowd lol

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I know what's it's called, I just wanna know how they did it. Global Illumination usually involves some kind of physical simulation.

But yeah, next gen is gonna be gorgeous. This lighting and these smart high polygon rendering stuff is gonna give so much more opportunities for environments that react and feel real, especially with Chaos and Epics recent purchases like Cloudgine, Cubic Motion and 3Lateral. Unreal Engine 5 is going to have a crazy feature set, love to see it.

it will take a few years but its coming.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Doesn't Sony devs already do this with checkerboarding? You can't tell the difference really
Yes, but there are good and bad implementations. And you can tell the difference if you look for it. But DLSS 2.0 and the fact that even PC gaming is slowly abandoning native 4k in some cases tells you all you need to know. I doubt Sony/MS will have something as great as DLSS, but a really good reconstruction implementation will do wonders for performance and visuals, while keeping image quality high. I think it's a good trade-off.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I just saw that tweet Klobrille, cmon man, LOL.
I'm playing around by being corny and the people who know me know that ;) The rest ... I don't care really.

it will take a few years but its coming.
Yes. It'll definitely take a few until we see actual stuff. Remember, the full release of UE5 is planned for the end of 2021. While devs can upgrade their existing games, games really being built with UE5 in mind are many years away.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Let's be honest, sony is starting to start the playstation machine.

All the marketing that MS has done before no longer counts. I say it again but now we are in "Entertainment Marketing" this is the most important.

No error should be accepted, for me the best is to let sony speak, the PS5 will be showing in the coming weeks. It is useless to present the lockhart before presenting the new first party games, but above all to throw small news while sony is doing his All-in.

July must be impressive and All in.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Well, after seeing that demo and hearing the talk about polycount and all, Hellblade 2 indeed looks more like a UE5 game. Just saw you guys mentioning a way to port easily from UE4 to UE5, that would be amazing for Xbox Games Studios.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The one point where I will agree is that Microsoft needs to showcase its games better. I vividly remember Gears Escape mode from E3 last year. That was so disappointing. Nobody wanted to see Escape Mode there, I think. They did go trailer after trailer which was nice, but they did not leave individual games enough room to really shine. You can't have gameplay segments for every single game you show, but definitely should do for a few.

And Inside Xbox, well I'll not mention American breakfast TV again ;)

However, they have done really well so far since December with one small exception. Better nail the next showcase though. They might leave a bit too much room in May and June for the competition to shine, but at least they can bounce back later!

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I doubt it. Sony's in house studios would be cheaper for them to use because they wouldn't have to pay a licensing fee to Epic. Plus they won't have to learn a whole new engine and their custom engines are tailored to their needs. Just like slipspace will be tailored to 343's needs.
Not for the big dogs, sure. But the output from the smaller studios could well shift in that direction. It's expensive to maintain all these different engines. Days Gone and Concrete Genie already used UE4. I could see someone like SSM or Japan Games or whatever moving towards UE4 as well, as game dev gets ever more complicated.

It definitely tainted their historic communication surrounding next-gen. Against Sony you cannot have a single fail from a communication standpoint if you want to stay relevant, it's sad but you can't do anything against it.

With their Xbox 20/20 shit it seems like they're going freestyle (but it's not their fault, COVID-19 shook everyone, but maybe less Sony's next gen plans because they weren't planning on doing an E3 conference anyway).

Microsoft doesn't know how to communicate properly in general, but this time their plan was going along (well enough to not ridicule themselves) until last Inside Xbox. When they're not following their little planned path, it's easy for them to go off.

And the reality is that this demo alone will do more impressions than everything Microsoft has shown 'til now.
When Sony can excite millions of people by just showing a logo, a controller or having a boring-ass talk about what is an SSD don't even bother thinking about when they show some incredible tech demo (even if it'll surely run better on PC or most importantly XSX).
Sony's plans were very impacted too. They were going to be at hundreds of shows this year, remember? Regardless, everyone is playing by the same rules now. We'll see who adjusts better. The rest of this post seems.. weirdly...... weird. Whatever. This has nothing to do with Sony. If the Unreal demo had been bad.. who cares that it was on PS5.

Sony ate MS' lunch today and didnt have to show a single game to do it.

What's even funnier is that they don't even use UE much at all in their first party output.

It's incredibly savvy marketing and it just goes to show how Sony understands the art of communication in ways that the team behind Xbox never have.
So... I disagree. This deal was inked long before this demo was totally ready. And it was all business. Who knows the specifics of what happened, but this wasn't a spur of the moment decision. Unreal went to Sony (and possibly others) to say "we have a UE5 demo, we want to show it". And Sony agreed to it and paid for it. This isn't a marketing decision. Sony DID NO MARKETING AT ALL. They paid a check and told Epic to say nice things. Yet the marketing was effective :p. Either way, the deal was done before the demo was ready to go. Sony had to have faith that Unreal could put together a good demo (and it was good.. though the more I look at it, the more I see the tricks.) But there was no brilliant chess move here IMO. It was a gamble that paid off.

The narrative is important. It just doesn't work the way people on this forum think. I said this last week several days before the May showcase:

"1) Marketing that captures the imagination of even people who will NEVER touch the games being sold. IE: via really good cinematic trailers. Utterly worthless for people who intend to play the game for its gameplay value. But tremendously valuable for building anticipation and hype for the game broadly. Which means more attention paid, more time spent covering it, more people discussing it. Again, this has little to do with quality of the game."

This wasn't a cinematic trailer.. but I think my point stands. It's not about the game - there wasn't one today. This is how you drive narrative. The hardcore think one way. And honestly, they're wrong.

www.resetera.com

Xbox Game Studios |OT8| Ori and the Speed of the SSDs

For now. Tastes change quickly and inexplicably. I think we might well hit 3rd-person-cinematic-deep-story fatigue somewhere in early next gen (or maybe already have). We'll moan that big AAA games just aren't fun to play anymore. We'll look for variety and whatever - praying that indies and...

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
One buzzword I keep seeing over and over again in relation to PS5 and never in relation to XSX is "balance." What does that even mean? Is the Xbox somehow "imbalanced?" Just weird how lots of third party devs seem to go out of their way to mention that word.

Makes it sound as though PS5 has some sort of magical ingredient that XSX doesn't have.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Tell me what I wrote is wrong and we'll talk about it. Other than intentionally being corny, of course ...

It's all in fun. Stop being so serious.

Like other people said, it came out as you being petty and kinda console warriorish.

But it is your personal account and you can do what you want with it.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Lol that came off really petty. Honestly Spencer has improved the gaming side of Xbox, it might be time for him to clean house on the marketing side, because Xbox just keeps shooting itself in the foot while Sony makes it look easy.

What? Literally prior to last Thursday, Xbox were getting all sorts of compliments for how they had been rolling things out thus far, and everyone was wondering what was going on with Sony.

One Inside Xbox and a UE5 demonstration later, and they need to clean out the marketing department? LOL.

I love this forum.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Lol that came off really petty. Honestly Spencer has improved the gaming side of Xbox, it might be time for him to clean house on the marketing side, because Xbox just keeps shooting itself in the foot while Sony makes it look easy.
I feel like I'm in bizarro land. Before last week everyone was praising MS's marketing and complaining about Sony's, and for good reason, because Sony has been doing a piss poor job so far while MS has been nailing it.

One buzzword I keep seeing over and over again in relation to PS5 and never in relation to XSX is "balance." What does that even mean? Is the Xbox somehow "imbalanced?" Just weird how lots of third party devs seem to go out of their way to mention that word.

Makes it sound as though PS5 has some sort of magical ingredient that XSX doesn't have.
Series X is too powerful, so it's not balanced. All it is is people trying to downplay the console.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I feel like I'm in bizarro land. Before last week everyone was praising MS's marketing and complaining about Sony's, and for good reason, because Sony has been doing a piss poor job so far while MS has been nailing it.
Now I feel like I'm in bizarroland. I definitely remember people complaining about MS marketing for much longer than last week.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

I saw a tweet by Nibel about it too. How Tim calls the PS5 a perfectly balanced system. But they are in a partnership with Sony, so I don't think we should look too much into that. I don't see a reason for XSX to not be a balanced system as well, or even "perfectly balanced".

He clearly wasn't going to talk much XSX when this was a showing on a PS5.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UE5 looks amazing and looks like a huge leap for games. Reducing 30fps and 1440p is disappointing but still looks amazing. Looks lovely.
Dont you find it odd, that this isnt really scrutinised to the same degree AC was for instance. Was it because the visuals stunned people into silence?

But yeah, we're in for a treat with Coalition, Playground Games, NT and Rare all presumably using this for their next-gen games. I dont think many come close to these guys when it comes to showing off UE.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017

Very much this. They'll show jaw-dropping stuff in a month or two with ample time for the message to settle in by the time the consoles are actually out.

Just ignore the hot takes in the meantime.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
Xbox took an L today.

The bright side of that is that there's fair argument they deserved it.

I say good.

Better MS get a few painful reminders now than later.

That's not to say today would necessarily qualify as "painful" for MS, only that they clearly have some kinks to iron out and I consider it a good thing for them to receive blowback now, while they have plenty of time to adjust their approach, rather than when it's too late, like at the very start of last gen.

I'm not judging anyone here in particular, and I get the sense of the board's leanings, but honestly, some of y'all can do without taking it personally when MS catch shit - deserved or otherwise.

Just take a breath and keep your perspective where it should be: on the positive and healthy things you can control, like your excitement for the games and platform and the industry as a whole. Don't get dragged down by the negativity around it, you will never win that battle.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I think the big question is why did Epic partner with Sony for the UE5 demo? I thought MS and Epic had a deal going on with how much they use their engine and the Gears roots

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Xbox took an L today.

The bright side of that is that there's fair argument they deserved it.

I say good.

Better MS get a few painful reminders now than later.

That's not to say today would necessarily qualify as "painful" for MS, only that they clearly have some kinks to iron out and I consider it a good thing for them to receive blowback now, while they have plenty of time to adjust their approach, than when it's too late, like at the very start of last gen.

I'm not judging anyone here in particular, and I get the sense of the board's leanings, but honestly, some of y'all can do without taking it personally when MS catch shit - deserved or otherwise.

Just take a breath and keep your perspective where it should be: on the positive and healthy things you can control, like your excitement for the games and platform and the industry as a whole. Don't get dragged down by the negativity around it, you will never win that battle.
What is this lol? it's not that serious....

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
What? Literally prior to last Thursday, Xbox were getting all sorts of compliments for how they had been rolling things out thus far, and everyone was wondering what was going on with Sony.

One Inside Xbox and a UE5 demonstration later, and they need to clean out the marketing department? LOL.

I love this forum.

lol i know

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is my opinion: Phil once said he needed to rework platform, services and first-party. I think he did all of that - respectively the latter is still in progress.

However ...Sometimes, I wish he would've included marketing in these core pillars he tackled as well.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018

Sony has Thanos' endorsement as part of their relationship with Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.