• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Holy crap, I just watched that tech demo and all I can say is that we are in for a treat next generation. I cannot wait for Gears 6, Hellblade 2, Fable, TOW 2 and any other good games because holy crap they are going to be a treat to see next generation. All that UE 5 glory and HDR is going to be very insane

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I think it's so impressive because it's running real-time on a PS5. Not just in-engine. It's a playable demo they recorded on a PS5. That's really promissing for next-gen. In a way, Epic has beaten both Sony and Microsoft in the race to show off next-gen real time graphics.
But.. like.. "playable". There was a portion where you could move the character in a tight corridor. There was also a section where there was a button prompt. The actually impressive part with the asset streaming and jumping around? NOT playable.

I wouldn't expect Tim Sweeney to say anything positive about Microsoft given the way he showed his ass a couple of years back, so it's just business as usual. Good to know that Series X will be able to do that and more, although tech demos aren't representative of shipped product by any stretch of the imagination.
But.. he has.. Did you forget that Tim Sweeney has stood on MS stages and pledged full support for multiple things (HoloLens even). They've been with Xbox on crossplay and all sorts of stuff. I don't think there's any bad blood. It's just business.

bohex1984

Oct 27, 2017
The UE5 demo is pretty cool, we'll have to wait and see how big of a leap it becomes with time and development on Series X/PS5...

I definitely like the fact that MS is probably having the last word when it comes to a showcase for next gen, at least it seems this way for what we know so far.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
The ironic thing is I bet UE5 will show its best work on Xbox first party studios...

I seriously need to question again what they were thinking with that reveal last week and especially calling it the first look of next gen games...

well technically they was correct as they showed actual next-gen games (albeit 3rd party AA ones) and this was not a game but a UE5 tech demo :)

but i get what you are saying :)

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
People should go watch Unreal Engine 4 demo running on PS4 and then compare it to games we got running on consoles now... How much better games look than that demo.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah always comes off as cringey. Like they don't realise their audience is actually a lot older. Even says why that guy said "interwebs" like they are children. Kids don't watch these things.

I took that interwebs comment as calling out what they saw as whining about the previous reveal event. Not saying I agree, mind. I just thought it was a little dig at placed like Era. Made me chuckle at the time.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
There was ray tracing in that demo. That, or at least some very similar / related technique, is what all that fancy dynamic global illumination was. Can't do that in real time without some form of ray/beam/cone/path tracing.

no its some form of GI, trust me any RT in that demo would be talked about by the UE5 team. :)
let em check th DF video to see???

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
But.. like.. "playable". There was a portion where you could move the character in a tight corridor. There was also a section where there was a button prompt. The actually impressive part with the asset streaming and jumping around? NOT playable.

But.. he has.. Did you forget that Tim Sweeney has stood on MS stages and pledged full support for multiple things (HoloLens even). They've been with Xbox on crossplay and all sorts of stuff. I don't think there's any bad blood. It's just business.
It's still playable. And they said the demo plays out in different ways. The point is this is real time. On ps5. This is how games can look like going into next-gen. This footage is what neither Microsoft nor Sony provided us with so far. Which is way everyone is going nuts over this demo. This looks eons better than current gen games in many ways and it is running in real time. This is really impressive and what people wanted to see.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Guessing it'll be a few years before we see games that are built around UE5 but man is it going to be exciting when that happens. Considering TC's strong bond with Unreal I wonder if Gears 6 will be one of the first games we see that is built around it.

Murdock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
So unreal engine 5 will be used for series x games as well? If so then who gives a shit if Sony's name is attached to it. Show me the games not tech demos

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Loads of people (console warriors) in that reveal thread creaming themselves as though only PS5 is capable of visuals like that and that XSX will barely be an improvement on current gen.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Sony partnered with Epic to showcase UE5 running on PS5. Its a smart way to showcase the potential of the system. They did the same thing with UE4 and MS more or less use UE4 more than any other in game development so this same sort of fidelity will be there on XSX. I am just glad about this demo because it shows a tangible preview of what to expect on next-gen consoles. So don't fret, I am sure TheCoalition will do wonders with it. With G4 and G5, they showed that they are the topmost dev on how to use UE so I look forward to what they (and other studios) will do with it. I am now looking forward to Gears 6 from them.

The good thing about this is that if the ease of development they espouse is as good as they say then it means more devs will be able to achieve high fidelity graphics, which is awesome.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
It's still playable. And they said the demo plays out in different ways. The point is this is real time. On ps5. This is how games can look like going into next-gen. This footage is what neither Microsoft nor Sony provided us with so far. Which is way everyone is going nuts over this demo. This looks eons better than current gen games in many ways and it is running in real time. This is really impressive and what people wanted to see.
yes, absolutely. Because this isn't ACTUALLY playable. It's interactive, but it's not something that people will go in and mess around with and spin the camera. When they turned on the light in the statue room, it moved to a static camera. The rest of the demo was super dark. blah blah blah.

You're absolutely right that this was what people wanted to see. It's a GREAT way to introduce next gen. But that's because Epic CAN, and MS and Sony can't do that. And that's because gamers have no idea what they want XD. Don't want games or gameplay at all. THIS is why cinematic trailers are used. NOT GAMEPLAY TRAILERS. Because people don't care about how the game plays when it's on a screen ANYWAY. They want to be impressed by the visuals. And that's what happened here.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
Loads of people (console warriors) in that reveal thread creaming themselves as though only PS5 is capable of visuals like that and that XSX will barely be an improvement on current gen.

Yep but Xbox surely knew that would be the narrative. I am actually shocked that MS didn't partner up with Epic and gave Sony a "free win" today - especially with the investment Xbox Studios is making in Unreal with the majority of their devs using it!

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Sony partnered with Epic to showcase UE5 running on PS5. Its a smart way to showcase the potential of the system. They did the same thing with UE4 and MS more or less use UE4 more than any other in game development so this same sort of fidelity will be there on XSX. I am just glad about this demo because it shows a tangible preview of what to expect on next-gen consoles. So don't fret, I am sure TheCoalition will do wonders with it. With G4 and G5, they showed that they are the topmost dev on how to use UE so I look forward to what they (and other studios) will do with it. I am now looking forward to Gears 6 from them.

The good thing about this is that if the ease of development they espouse is as good as they say then it means more devs will be able to achieve high fidelity graphics, which is awesome.

It is important to remember that this happened with the UE4 reveal where people thought that day 1 games would like like that UE4 demo. Some can argue that games in the last 2 years got close to that demo, but the geometry and lighting in that UE4 demo really is not represntive in actual games. That demo like this demo does not have AI enemies or anything close to that. It is a tech demo and people need to remember that.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
That demo was amazing. what was the res and fps? 4K? I expect XGS will probably make the best use of UE5 once again.. working with powerful hardware like XSX will make it even better.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Yep but Xbox surely knew that would be the narrative. I am actually shocked that MS didn't partner up with Epic and gave Sony a "free win" today - especially with the investment Xbox Studios is making in Unreal with the majority of their devs using it!

Xbox is inextricably linked with UE4 in a lot of ways. Weren't a good number of Coalition devs people that actually worked on UE4 at Epic?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Now my comment from yesterday makes sense I hope :)

In the end, this is an announcement no one else profits as much from as all the individual Xbox Game Studios using Unreal Engine.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
If Epic partnered with Sony it means they got something in return. It's not a "free" "win".

The narrative now doesn't matter. If Halo Infinite looks and plays bonkers on XSX it won't matter who showed what and when first.

If Microsoft offers a compelling and great console with great looking games, they won't get buried, they're the biggest company on the planet, I don't understand why people are so worried about this stuff.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Since PS5 is the median for next gen power, with Lockhart being lower and XSX being higher, next gen does look great.

I just wish MS would make more games with that kind of look. Thankfully, I think they are. Perfect Dark and Fable are going to be the MS versions of that sort of game, I'd imagine. You can always show off tech better with 3rd person stuff.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Think people are more upset at the now narrative that games on PS5 will look better than Series X because of this demo, and the fumble Xbox made last week showing off "Next gen Games".
Maybe MS wanted to show UE as well but if Sony threw money at it, MS cannot have a solid showcase tech-demo. Now they have to actually use retail games to do it.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
yes, absolutely. Because this isn't ACTUALLY playable. It's interactive, but it's not something that people will go in and mess around with and spin the camera. When they turned on the light in the statue room, it moved to a static camera. The rest of the demo was super dark. blah blah blah.

You're absolutely right that this was what people wanted to see. It's a GREAT way to introduce next gen. But that's because Epic CAN, and MS and Sony can't do that. And that's because gamers have no idea what they want XD. Don't want games or gameplay at all. THIS is why cinematic trailers are used. NOT GAMEPLAY TRAILERS. Because people don't care about how the game plays when it's on a screen ANYWAY. They want to be impressed by the visuals. And that's what happened here.
You can play through the demo with a controller on a ps5. It's playable. I don't see why you would try and nitpick this definition? Of course it's just a tech demo, but the unreal 4 tech demo on the ps4 reveal was very much indicative of what we eventually got this gen. I think both Sony and Microsoft have surpassed it visually with their first-party offering.
And I don't think you're right about the gameplay part. There have been lots of gameplay demo's that have been incredibly well received in the past. Both visuals AND gameplay can get people hyped for a game. But it's not a surprise that, when showing off next-gen systems, visuals play a huge role.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
no its some form of GI, trust me any RT in that demo would be talked about by the UE5 team. :)
let em check th DF video to see???

I don't know how they would have managed dynamic global illumination like that without some form of ___ tracing. Could be wrong, lighting was never my favorite thing, the first time I had to program it myself I just kinda didn't and then tried to tell my professor I was going for a "dark, contemplative mood".

Fair point though, we'll probably see a more detailed write up / frame by frame later. Whatever techniques Lumens uses under the hood though, it looks great.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
The new narrative, it's almost as if all the progress Xbox made since December went to crap.

twitter.com

DAEMON on Twitter

“It's nice to see some next-gen footage that actually looks next-gen, even if it is a tech demo. Jump to 1:25. https://t.co/qYlB4ULgig”

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that Aaron needs to take a backseat, as much as i love his enthusiasm he makes terrible mistakes and at times undoes the good work Phil/MS is doing.

I agree. I like him but he has a certain rep now and a bad habit of overselling stuff. A lot of the turmoil of last week could have been avoided with a more levelheaded handling and setting of expectations. And someone like Aaron must know by now that MS gets a much more critical eye on anything they do, so they have to always be on the ball and aware.

I've noticed that people doing these other reveals like Geoff this week are being very, very careful to set the appropriate expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.