• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
As admirable and pro consumer as the Microsoft "no more generations" approach is, I 100% think it's going to bite them in the ass purely from a narrative angle. Sony is going to hammer the "only possible on PS5" stuff (as they rightfully should if it's true) and it's going to become something that the whole internet will use to beat MS over the head with if their first party games aren't up to the visual fidelity of Sony's first party offerings. Or if that SSD in the PS5 does indeed allow them to do things the XSX can't.

I just saw someone retweet a dev saying "it's time to leave the past limitations behind" or something to that effect in relation to PS5. In my opinion, MS cannot afford to have the "PS5 is a real, actual leap forward while the Series X is just a souped up Xbox One" narrative take hold. Which I'm already seeing console warriors saying. Can't have that become the widespread thought, too.

Just wait...

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So it should be fun to see some of what Sony is up to with the PS5 next week, as there will be 3rd party games that we will be able to play at their best on the Xbox Series X and even some of us that are Xbox primary platform gamers will end up getting a PS5 at some point to play some select exclusives at least. But don't let the hype and emotional reactions of social media and others cloud the bigger picture as an Xbox fan that won't change due to anything next week:

• Xbox Series X is the most powerful console for next generation
  • Xbox Game Pass is unmatched as an awesome gaming subscription experience and value gateway into the next generation launches with all of their first party titles and other games
  • Xbox backwards compatibility is unmatched in their approach, as shown by some of the further direction by Sony to developers about "PS5 compatibility" prior to and beyond this July which almost certainly means a less robust approach
  • Xbox Game Studios should be as healthy as ever going into next generation as we should start to see during their July event, and I think Halo Infinite is going to be an awesome experience for Xbox fans that will have single player and multiplayer content that can punch with anything that others put out during the launch

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I hope they are working on new IP!

I'm usually banging the drum for new IP, but in this case I'd like to see Undead Labs at least fully realize their dream for State of Decay before moving on.

As admirable and pro consumer as the Microsoft "no more generations" approach is, I 100% think it's going to bite them in the ass purely from a narrative angle. Sony is going to hammer the "only possible on PS5" stuff (as they rightfully should if it's true) and it's going to become something that the whole internet will use to beat MS over the head with if their first party games aren't up to the visual fidelity of Sony's first party offerings. Or if that SSD in the PS5 does indeed allow them to do things the XSX can't.

I just saw someone retweet a dev saying "it's time to leave the past limitations behind" or something to that effect in relation to PS5. In my opinion, MS cannot afford to have the "PS5 is a real, actual leap forward while the Series X is just a souped up Xbox One" narrative take hold. Which I'm already seeing console warriors saying. Can't have that become the widespread thought, too.

It's a risk, but it's about Game Pass. You can't just cut off all the Xbox One Game Pass subscribers from 1P games, especially when they're only going to sell a relatively small number of new consoles in the first year. At some point the current-gen band aid has to be cut off, though. I really hope they show beyond the cross-gen period in July.

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
So it should be fun to see some of what Sony is up to with the PS5 next week, as there will be 3rd party games that we will be able to play at their best on the Xbox Series X and even some of us that are Xbox primary platform gamers will end up getting a PS5 at some point to play some select exclusives at least. But don't let the hype and emotional reactions of social media and others cloud the bigger picture as an Xbox fan that won't change due to anything next week:

• Xbox Game Pass is unmatched as an awesome gaming subscription experience and value gateway into the next generation launches with all of their first party titles and other games
  • Xbox backwards compatibility is unmatched in their approach, as shown by some of the further direction by Sony to developers about "PS5 compatibility" prior to and beyond this July which almost certainly means a less robust approach
  • Xbox Game Studios should be as healthy as ever going into next generation as we should start to see during their July event, and I think Halo Infinite is going to be an awesome experience for Xbox fans that will have single player and multiplayer content that can punch with anything that others put out during the launch
Great post.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

This. And ReThis.

Deleted member 69222

User requested account closure
Banned
May 14, 2020
Both consoles will be mind blowing and I hope they both perform well sales-wise.

Sony is gonna drop megaton next week, and MS will deliver in July. This is gonna be so much better than the start of this gen as both companies are relatively healthy.

Aug 23, 2018

Some people care way too much about the NARRATIVE for some arbitrary amount of time, rather than the actual games and consoles themselves. Sony having a good showing next week doesn't mean MS can't as well a month later. I wanna be excited and wow'd by both.

I'm just excited to see the ramp up to next gen launches starting next week

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Possibly yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do bring it like that. Only experiences you can play on PS5, compared to our competition. I wouldn't even blame them, it's all business and marketing.

Personally I'm still not too ecstatic about the approach MS is going for. I guess I'm just used to a new console meaning games that will only be playable on that, it's always been like that. Whether that's a good approach by MS remains to be seen. Nobody can know yet.

its a great approach for MS as its about the eco system for them, plus first party and 3rd parties are already working on next-gen only games, with some of the 3rd party ones hitting this year :)

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Some people care way too much about the NARRATIVE for some arbitrary amount of time, rather than the actual games and consoles themselves. Sony having a good showing next week doesn't mean MS can't as well a month later. I wanna be excited and wow'd by both.

indeed

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

The amount of flip flopping is really weird indeed. Just because one console isnt in the news in a week doesnt mean doom and gloom right away.
Until launch we are gonna see alot of info drop from one of the two. Be happy the silence is over.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

This is a weird ass post...

Yep.

Oct 27, 2017

Why are you worried about narratives. Anything and everything can be a narrative in console wars. People are even using the war stuff as a narrative

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019

Do you happen to have a catchy, succinct mantra that we should repeat to ourselves as we watch the PS5 event?

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

All true statements here.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
User banned (2 weeks): Platform wars. Multiple prior bans for platform wars.

Nice PRost.

Bradwaung

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like what MS is doing with their BC team on the Series X. I also want to play Cyberpunk 2077 (and Halo Infinite) on the most powerful console so I'll be there day 1. Sony on the other hand hasn't shown me anything interesting yet.
However, Sony has an event next week; I might change my mind if they announce some cool features and games for the PS5

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
You can play Zelda Breath of the Wild on Wii U

Best selling Zelda to date and made the Switch worth to buy just to play it there.

Launch exclusives lol

Jan 20, 2019

Jesus christ, you know you can enjoy both companies right?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
its a great approach for MS as its about the eco system for them, plus first party and 3rd parties are already working on next-gen only games, with some of the 3rd party ones hitting this year :)

Absolutely, for them it's the best choice and also for people sticking with a Xbox One for a year or more. At the end of the day the situation for MS and Sony are also entirely different. Several studios at Sony have been working on the next gen games for a while now, while Xbox has been struggling a lot until Spencer finally got that position and started getting new studios for XGS.

But several of them still had games in development, multiplatform, and can't commit to Xbox only yet. I expect that Everwild might be the last Xbox One game. I expect that the projects by inXile, Obsidian, Compulsion, Playground (including FH), Turn 10,Double Fine will all be XSX only.

If you think about it "nobody left behind" isn't completely true. Because a year or two after XSX launch Xbox One support stops. But that's normal, at some point it just stops.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you worried about narratives. Anything and everything can be a narrative in console wars. People are even using the war stuff as a narrative
I only "care" in the sense that I hope to see both consoles hit it out of the park right out the gate. I don't want to see Xbox saddled with a swirling shit cloud over their heads upon launch like the XB1 did.

The XB1 was a laughing stock (used games meme, more expensive while weaker, always online stuff, "we have a console for you" etc) before it even hit store shelves. Would suck for something like that to happen again.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious why MS released their BC post yesterday in light of what was revealed today about PS5.

Probably nothing. But still, BC is going to be a significant factor imo next gen, quite remarkable how they saw this coming in 2015, just reaffirms Phil & his team really know the direction the wind is blowing way ahead of time, like his instincts with Mojang, just the type of people you need running the show.

Last edited:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Do you happen to have a catchy, succinct mantra that we should repeat to ourselves as we watch the PS5 event?
rs_596x341-160201175140-Groundhog_Day_again.gif

Joo

May 25, 2018

Well this is really something. Why is there such a need to find a winner here?

Sony having a certain approach doesn't make XSX any worse and vice versa, both consoles will have unique elements and games which are very hard to compare atm.

Just buy both of them if you're so concerned that you'll be missing something.

Jan 20, 2019
Did you read the first few sentences of his post? I mean, I really don't get why certain posters have to crap all over a pretty harmless post about someone excited about their favorite platform...

I read ir, he doesnt need to be this defensive to be excited about the series x.

And this is the user that complaint about peopel bring the ps5 discussion to this thread when he is the first to do it

Why cant peopel just enjoy gamimg as a hole.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Absolutely, for them it's the best choice and also for people sticking with a Xbox One for a year or more. At the end of the day the situation for MS and Sony are also entirely different. Several studios at Sony have been working on the next gen games for a while now, while Xbox has been struggling a lot until Spencer finally got that position and started getting new studios for XGS.

But several of them still had games in development, multiplatform, and can't commit to Xbox only yet. I expect that Everwild might be the last Xbox One game. I expect that the projects by inXile, Obsidian, Compulsion, Playground (including FH), Turn 10,Double Fine will all be XSX only.

If you think about it "nobody left behind" isn't completely true. Because a year or two after XSX launch Xbox One support stops. But that's normal, at some point it just stops.

it wont be a dead stop as games will still be multiplat beyond 2021 and gass games will support a while longer, and also until all 3rd parties think they can make enough $$ to make the full switch.

but when all is said and done, the game being great is the main selling point, pretty graphics are a bonus :)

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

great times ahead thats for sure ;)

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
I read ir, he doesnt need to be this defensive to be excited about the series x.

And this is the user that complaint about peopel bring the ps5 discussion to this thread when he is the first to do it

Why cant peopel just enjoy gamimg as a hole.
I don't really know the posters too well since I'm new but I didn't interpret it as a defensive post. I agree with you that we should all enjoy gaming as a whole, and I kind of appreciated the excited nature of the post.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

This can't be healthy. lol

Jan 20, 2019
I don't really know the posters too well since I'm new but I didn't interpret it as a defensive post. I agree with you that we should all enjoy gaming as a whole, and I kind of appreciated the excited nature of the post.

I understand, im excited as well, microsoft as some great games coming so we should all just focus on that.

Hoping from some obsidian godness coming july

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

It should be an interesting couple of weeks. :)

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
I understand, im excited as well, microsoft as some great games coming so we should all just focus on that.

Hoping from some obsidian godness coming july
Personally crossing my fingers for Fable. We'll see!

And since we're on the topic of PS5 somewhat, I'm excited to see if Insomniac has anything up their sleeves. I'm excited forboth platforms but I've always got time for people being excited about Xbox in the Xbox thread :P

Status
Not open for further replies.