Status
Not open for further replies.

Philosopher

Sep 5, 2018
May 5th is my birthday and I cant think of a better way to celebrate than have a Halo blow out event! Bring it on Phil!

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
Before the Corona situation, Playground Games were welcoming 1 - 3 new hires almost every Monday over multiple months. The RPG team has 38 open positions right now. The target is 200, so this would put the RPG team at ca. 150 devs today.

The Forza Horizon team has 43 open positions, which definitely means quite some people switched to the RPG project. The target here is 200 as well, so they should be almost equally large as the RPG team.

LinkedIn isn't used as much in the UK as in the US, so the listed people of 222 entries will be inaccurate. If we simply look at their targets and the available positions, Playground Games should be around 300 devs these days, with both teams having ca. 150 each. Excluding outsourcing, which will definitely happen for both, as an example via Sumo Digital.

I hope that it's like you said, but I still don't hold my hopes to see Fable in 2021. Probably we'll see something next month from the build, but I don't see possibility for target date up till E3 2021.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I hope that it's like you said, but I still don't hold my hopes to see Fable in 2021. Probably we'll see something next month from the build, but I don't see possibility for target date up till E3 2021.
Oh. I don't think so as well. Always seemed like a beyond 2021 release to me. There might be a slim chance for a release towards the end of 2021, but I'm not sure about that.

Last edited:

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
"Since we announced Playground's second studio, the developer has hired roughly 60 people, with plans to reach 200. Two years to hire less than half your intended headcount might seem slow, but Raeburn said this has been both unavoidable and somewhat deliberate."

- Gavin Raeburn, Playground Games @ link.gamesindustry.biz , 2019/06

Soon it will be a year after this interview. Supposedly game is in development since late 2017, and they are targeting AAA RPG Open-World. Does anyone has any information how much developers are there? My calculation is around 80 on this project.

My bet is that Fable will not be ready to ship before 2022 if full production team is planed to be larger than 200.

During full production it will go very quickly.

343i in 2017 was still 300 employees, today they are +600

But yeah, Fable is for +2022.

Obsidian Skyrim "like" RPG leaded by Chris Parker is in development since end 2018, I think it will be ready for end 2022. Obsidian already have the universe.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
In addition to building hype, announcing the game also helps them to recruit for some of those open positions. But I think you're right to not expect the game next year. The timeline just doesn't really add up for that. It'll likely be one of their big 2022 releases.

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
It's interesting to see that next major releases from CDPR, BioWare and BGS are not Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls or Witcher, so XGS will have fully clear open-world fantasy AAA WRPG market in next few years.

Oct 27, 2017
Games take time to make. If the project started in 2017, a 5 year production time makes sense for 2022. That lines up with the dev times of a horizon zero dawn or GoW 2018 rtc

they can still announce it at this point

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Rare has always had small incubation teams though. This isn't anything new.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of game Everwild is. Because if it's more like a traditional release, I could see parts of that team move over to whatever Gregg's next project is once EW has been released.
Yeah, but I mean there seems to be a push on XGS to enable those encubation projects to move forward with outsourcing and tech support.

Which makes sense. It's a good way to get more content for gamepass without internally ballooning the studio size during production and shrinking when done. That way then can focus the studios around design lead teams and each team will have as much resources as it needs to deliver the game.

Invoker

Chicken Chaser
May 29, 2019
Do you guys think we will be getting big third party exclusives at launch?

I'm talking about AAA games, from
big companies like Capcom, etc.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do you guys think we will be getting big third party exclusives at launch?

I'm talking about AAA games, from
big companies like Capcom, etc.
Its a fresh new gen with massive upgrades on terms of CP, GPU and SSD power. This is the perfect time for exclusive titles. I expect Capcom to be sure, not sure about others.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Before the Corona situation, Playground Games were welcoming 1 - 3 new hires almost every Monday over multiple months. The RPG team has 38 open positions right now. The target is 200, so this would put the RPG team at ca. 150 devs today.

The Forza Horizon team has 43 open positions, which definitely means quite some people switched to the RPG project. The target here is 200 as well, so they should be almost equally as large as the RPG team.

LinkedIn isn't used as much in the UK as in the US, so the listed 222 entries will be inaccurate. If we simply look at their targets and the available positions, Playground Games should be around 300 devs these days, with both teams having ca. 150 each. Excluding outsourcing, which will definitely happen for both, as an example via Sumo Digital.

All just rough estimates obviously. But should be in the right ballpark.

150 wow!

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I truly hope once the BC team starts working their magic again that Rockstar will give us Max Payne 3. And even better, enhanced for X/XSX.

Please Rockstar!

True_fan

Banned
Mar 19, 2020
343i needs to release Infinite footage before all of the toys spoil things. I bet there will be a flood toy that spoils their return. Also I really hope Atriox is the villain. I didn't play Halo Wars 2, so I don't know if his story is completed, but he by far looks like the most interesting villain in the Halo Universe. He is just a beast from that one snippet I saw of him dominating red team. He is very well developed with his voice, mannerisms, quotes, and badassery.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
343i needs to release Infinite footage before all of the toys spoil things. I bet there will be a flood toy that spoils their return. Also I really hope Atriox is the villain. I didn't play Halo Wars 2, so I don't know if his story is completed, but he by far looks like the most interesting villain in the Halo Universe. He is just a beast from that one snippet I saw of him dominating red team. He is very well developed with his voice, mannerisms, quotes, and badassery.

Worth watching the cutscenes at least.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
I would really like another new Dead Rising game. I love that series, even enjoyed 4 for what it was. Such a fun experience that is unique. Think they need to scale the maps down.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I'm really curious to see how the announcements split between May and "E3". I'm sure some folks don't want to hear it, but if we take 343 at their word, we will be waiting until June or later for Halo reveal.

I'm expecting May to be Lockhart and some very limited (1 or 2) looks at next gen games to prove how they scale across systems, plus further info on ecosystem features like back compat handling etc. Not sure if Halo needs to be a part of that.

Though I am really looking forward to seeing how the versions stack up across XB1S, XB1X, XSS, XSX, and a PC with a 3000-series GPU.

Is it E3 yet...? Fuck..

Lol, good memories. Don't get banned though :(

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For XB1 games it's fine (with the app) for 360 games it says 'play on xbox one' now, obviously it's not available. I've just checked on PC and it let me go through to the purchase screen before saying my download queue is full - so it seems the purchase went through.

Hopefully it won't try to push them to the SX when I get it, I just wanted to make sure I collected all the free games while I was console-less with a paid up subscription!

Thanks all.
Yeah, the 360 games with gold games always give me the "Download queue is full" message, but they are tied to my account. The "purchase" still works even if you get that message.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
While waiting for the games to be revealed, i'm excited to play Minecraft Dungeons. Seems like the perfect game to play to loot and grind with friends

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I think we will see Fable, but it's for sure a 2021+ release.

Since the event is in May for the games stuff, we should get a date annoucement this or next week.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious to see how the announcements split between May and "E3". I'm sure some folks don't want to hear it, but if we take 343 at their word, we will be waiting until June or later for Halo reveal.

I'm expecting May to be Lockhart and some very limited (1 or 2) looks at next gen games to prove how they scale across systems, plus further info on ecosystem features like back compat handling etc. Not sure if Halo needs to be a part of that.

Though I am really looking forward to seeing how the versions stack up across XB1S, XB1X, XSS, XSX, and a PC with a 3000-series GPU.

Lol, good memories. Don't get banned though :(

i wouldnt put it past 343 to wait for June for the single player blowout (as originally planned) but am hoping for a multiplayer reveal in may. i could see them showing off mp on series x, announcing the start of flighting on x1 and pc in the coming weeks, and a small campaign teaser to hype up june

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
So is the May event a smaller kind of event, and they have another larger one planned for June?

On a side note looks like Sony's reveal event in June 4th - https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...cerny-see-4-1-staff-post.175780/post-32493642

Based on the buzz, they'll both be big for different reasons. May more focused on hardware and features with a handful of major game announcements and footage showing off the new console(s) and features, and June all about games, with a chance of games.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm watching Stadia Direct now and I see a few people commenting on why the like it so much. I heard things like no loading times, loading up a browser and continuing right where you left off, start playing right away etc.

In a way we already can continue where we left off with instant on, unless the game has disconnected from the internet and then you will be back in main menu, XSX will have this all the way with quick resume. Loading times will be significantly shorter too. The only thing we don't know yet if "ready to start" during downloading of a game actually means we CAN start playing.

Or do we know?

m23

Oct 25, 2017

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
So is the May event a smaller kind of event, and they have another larger one planned for June?

On a side note looks like Sony's reveal event in June 4th - https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...cerny-see-4-1-staff-post.175780/post-32493642
I think the current rumor is that the May event will be a full console reveal/breakdown (potential Lockhart reveal also) with a couple of next-gen game showcases. After that, there's supposed to be a big games blowout in June.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Tomorrow BIG BIG news.

By cons we do not know if it concerns XBOX or Playstation but a lot of video will fall.

Major Italian, French media etc ... will have exclusive presentations.

In views of this communication method, I think it concerns XBOX.

Status
Not open for further replies.