• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
www.halowaypoint.com

Halo Community Update - Infinite Inquiries

In the past two weeks we've unveiled Halo Infinite, launched Halo 3 on PC as part of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, helped raise money for a good cause, released tons of Halo gear, and so much more. Since this is a pretty hefty Community Update, let's jump right in!

Some good info here. The Infinite demo was weeks old btw.
Art style won't change (good) but they are addressing the flat look at watched the criticism and DF video too

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
www.halowaypoint.com

In the past two weeks we've unveiled Halo Infinite, launched Halo 3 on PC as part of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, helped raise money for a good cause, released tons of Halo gear, and so much more. Since this is a pretty hefty Community Update, let's jump right in!

HOW'S CRAIG?

We've all laughed very hard at the nonstop stream of Craig memes the community is cranking out. Craig is thick-skinned and seems to be taking it in stride though all of this fame and attention seems to be going to his head.
glad to hear that Craig is doing well.

Goldstick

Jun 6, 2019
Porto, Portugal
www.halowaypoint.com

Microtransactions: Halo Infinite will not include real-money loot boxes

Curious to see how that plays out.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
www.halowaypoint.com

The second theme being discussed involves visual fidelity. Negative feedback in this area includes comments around characters and objects appearing flat, simplistic and plastic-like, lighting feeling dull and flat, and object pop-in. We've read your comments, we've seen the homemade examples of retouched content, and yes we've heard the Digital Foundry assessments. In many ways we are in agreement here – we do have work to do to address some of these areas and raise the level of fidelity and overall presentation for the final game.

I am very glad to see them list out the specific issues, and not just a generic "it'll look better." Gives me hope they will tackle some of this before launch.

Their goal of using the original, clean Halo 1-3 aesthetic which is "free of noise but still detailed" is admirable and I hope they can achieve it.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
www.halowaypoint.com

They are taking it on the chin and moving forward. Good to see.

But the crunch they will experience the next 3 months will be legendary...no pun intended.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Seeing 5 out of the 10 global best-seller titles on Steam filled by Microsoft Game Studios titles today is absolutely bonkers.

I couldn't have imagined this a year ago.
I remember the naysayers like it was yesterday. "They'll never put their first party on PC!"
"They'll never put their first party on Steam!"

Ahhh good times..

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Ah well, not a January demo then haha. Several weeks old, so that does mean significant changes. See, I personally preferred the art style of the later Halos, but hey whatever lol. This is what the community hath wrought. Hope they get things sorted, but honestly, tame the pop-in and I'd probably already be pretty happy with the visual presentation overall. (Oo, I also see that the pistol and shotgun that we see in the demo replace the Magnum and Tactical Shotgun of yore. I don't mind, but I can already sense the disappointment from the old guard. Ah well. :p)

Curious to see how that plays out.
And/Or they can do a straight up store, like Sea of Thieves. As long as its additive to a meaningful experience of unlocking progression just through playing and/or achieving things, then I don't mind either.

They are taking it on the chin and moving forward. Good to see.

But the crunch they will experience the next 3 months will be legendary...no pun intended.
Certainly hope not, but that does seem to be what's in store. Forget 3 months.. it's going to continue for a while, since they already have post launch plans. That said, I do hope they rein in the impulse to do that excessively. If the tone of the post stays positive, then I hope that the team is motivated to push hard to deliver a great product, rather than defeated and trying to just get through the ordeal. I'm going to believe that they're staying strong and keeping each other up, but I'm sure that's hard with Covid and distance and the internet being the only constant companion.

But still. Plenty of excitement for the game. Hope morale is good :3

Last edited:

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, it's a reference y'all

www.resetera.com

What do you think of Microsoft's new approach of rebooting games as long lasting platforms?

You forgot Fable. An unnumbered reboot with 'mmo lite' rumours that sound a lot like it being intended to be a long running GaaS platform. All their established big IPs seem to be moving in that direction except Gears which hasn't had it's inevitable next iteration announced yet.It ties in with...
Haha sorry! I don't venture into those threads.

Dhruvenator

Aug 29, 2019
www.halowaypoint.com

Wait is your username based off of....funhaus?!!

SCROBBLES

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I gotta admit, i was really bothered by how janky the movement of that ship was in the flyby during the Halo demo. I haven't seen anyone else mention it but it was like someone tapped an analog stick instead of more natural movement.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Someone may have leaked some marketing materials early.

F2P, 120fps.

8px8oe3eo3e51.jpg

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/xbox-series-x-register

Shawt21

Banned
Apr 26, 2020
www.halowaypoint.com

This scares me. I'm not trying to be dramatic and I hope everything works out, but what I just read was "...we will crunch to reach the visual fidelity... ". I really hope That's not the case

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a new TV for awhile now. Do a lot of newer models support 120?

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, $60 or gamepass gets you the campaign while anyone can play multiplayer. I wonder if Forza will do the same, Motorsport being the free to play game and Horizon being the $60 games from now on.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a new TV for awhile now. Do a lot of newer models support 120?

Yes, quite a bit of the 2020 stuff has HDMI 2.1 support. At the high end there is the LG OLEDs (B9, C9, BX, CX), they have 4x HDMI 2.1 ports. OLED is a way of life. :P In the midrange there is the Sony X900H. The Samsung Q70T/Q80T/Q90T support it as well but only on 1 port (49" model is only 60hz). You want to look for a TV with HDMI 2.1 support basically. These should all support it, but since no HDMI 2.1 devices even exist yet it can't actually be tested and confirmed by review sites like RTINGS.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Most likely real. Seems weird to make Xbox's biggest game F2P when Gamepass exists. This just makes me think that Gamepass players aren't going to need gold to play Gamepass games online in the future.
It's been hinted that gamepass subscribers would get the season passes and free to play is the way to go to get an entire PC market on board immediately

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
It's been hinted that gamepass subscribers would get the season passes and free to play is the way to go to get an entire PC market on board immediately
I didnt think about free season passes for Gamepass subscribers that makes sense.

The biggest competitive MP games in the world are F2P, so it makes sense to use this pricing format. I'm more convinced than ever that this game will have a BR mode at launch or a little after launch.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Try and get one with HDMI 2.1.
Yes, quite a bit of the 2020 stuff has HDMI 2.1 support. At the high end there is the LG OLEDs (B9, C9, BX, CX), they have 4x HDMI 2.1 ports. OLED is a way of life. :P In the midrange there is the Sony X900H. The Samsung Q70T/Q80T/Q90T support it as well but only on 1 port (49" model is only 60hz). You want to look for a TV with HDMI 2.1 support basically. These should all support it, but since no HDMI 2.1 devices even exist yet it can't actually be tested and confirmed by review sites like RTINGS.
Thanks guys. Guess I'll finally go through with it.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
More evidence for Halo MP being free Eh? Certainly gives more credibility to what Jeffrey Grubb Grubb was hearing on his last podcast about them making Halo MP Free and dropping the console MP paywall.

Nazonozonoya

Jan 7, 2018
Has anyone explained why we don't have the Pilots name from the trailers and demo? I've read during the campaign we will learn his name, is it supposed to be some massive reveal? Related to someone prominent in the universe? Don't know why the secrecy. I know he won't say he's named Cortana or something like that. Or maybe his name just isn't relevant and we'll learn it when it comes to cement how close he will get to Chief?

Jun 15, 2020
Has anyone explained why we don't have the Pilots name from the trailers and demo? I've read during the campaign we will learn his name, is it supposed to be some massive reveal? Related to someone prominent in the universe? Don't know why the secrecy. I know he won't say he's named Cortana or something like that. Or maybe his name just isn't relevant and we'll learn it when it comes to cement how close he will get to Chief?
It's Arbiter in disguise.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

The pilot was actually named by the voice actor playing him, apparently. So I doubt he's secretly someone super important.

More likely it just... doesn't really matter. Wouldn't be surprised if even Chief doesn't find out his name for like 15 hours, because it just never came up.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
His last name is probably Chief.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I am really curious how FS2020 will review. No idea.

It'll get extremely good reviews, I imagine. Reviewers will be wooed by the fidelity of everything, and most won't have the expertise or knowledge necessary to really deconstruct it as an actual simulator, so unless it feels REALLY off, it'll likely just get full points for that. I'm predicting a Metacritic of around 93-94, unless there's some showstopping problems in the final release.

Aside from gloating rights or whatever, reviews of Flight Sim won't really be very relevant to the core people actually interested in it. They'll want pilots and longtime users of P3D and X-Plane to give their thoughts on stuff like the flight modeling.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I installed Hellblade today fully expecting to try it out for an hour and then go on with my day.

7 hours later, I just wrapped it one of the most enthralling experiences of my life across any medium of storytelling. Ninja Theory, you are absolute top-tier in my mind. I cannot wait for the sequel.

Please take over the Dead Space franchise while you're at it.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I installed Hellblade today fully expecting to try it out for an hour and then go on with my day.

7 hours later, I just wrapped it one of the most enthralling experiences of my life across any medium of storytelling. Ninja Theory, you are absolute top-tier in my mind. I cannot wait for the sequel.

Please take over the Dead Space franchise while you're at it.
Hellblade is amazing! :)

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Most likely real. Seems weird to make Xbox's biggest game F2P when Gamepass exists. This just makes me think that Gamepass players aren't going to need gold to play Gamepass games online in the future.

Or Microsoft gets rid of Gold. Entices people with free Halo multiplayer. MULTITUDES of people get an Xbox to play *free* Halo multiplayer... and then they see the other offerings Game Pass offers... including the Halo Infinite campaign.

Seems like a great combo strategy to use to get people over to your ecosystem using one game, even.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason Vampyr is always on top10 list btw? Never seen anyone talking about it here. Did I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.