• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Art style won't change (good) but they are addressing the flat look at watched the criticism and DF video too
The art style is a big reason why it looks so nice. They describe the art style as having "legacy aesthetics" with "a more vibrant palette, "cleaner" models and objects with less "noise", though it doesn't mean less detail". I cannot properly express how much I love that they've chosen to go back to a classic look.

Retailers using placeholder prices and dates is one thing, but I kinda doubt they would make up game features and pricing models, so that leads me to believe it's true.
Hmmm, free-to-play Halo would be a megaton.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
t7BNYbb.png

Complete global saturation
Sea of Thieves was hanging out at the top of the lsit during the summer sale despite not being discounted. Honestly, the staying power there is kinda bonkers. Very well deserved, mind. But still!

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Given that xbox is doing smart delivery... couldn't they just announce release dates for the summer games, and just say that they'll be smart delivery ready on release?
I'm thinking about Halo.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how they will go about discontinuing gold if the rumour is true. converting every gold sub to a gamepass sub for time remaining could be an interesting way of getting a large amount of people in to try the service.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
It'll get extremely good reviews, I imagine. Reviewers will be wooed by the fidelity of everything, and most won't have the expertise or knowledge necessary to really deconstruct it as an actual simulator, so unless it feels REALLY off, it'll likely just get full points for that. I'm predicting a Metacritic of around 93-94, unless there's some showstopping problems in the final release.

Aside from gloating rights or whatever, reviews of Flight Sim won't really be very relevant to the core people actually interested in it. They'll want pilots and longtime users of P3D and X-Plane to give their thoughts on stuff like the flight modeling.
Mm. Yes and no. This is something that has already transcended the simulator community into broader gamer consciousness and it could not have come at a better cultural moment. People who have never touched a flight sim will be considering picking this up, and reviews from people like them will still matter. I would not be surprised if the initial groups of people playing this game would include a significant population of people who have never bought a flight sim before - indeed, its place near the top of the charts practically guarantees it.

That said, I think it will, for that same reason, take a hit on MC as well if they don't find a way to make it engaging for people who don't just want to fly for a while. I think it's the same way that Forza Motorsport is cool for a general audience, but isn't necessarily more fun than Horizon. It's more sim, less game (even if it's less sim than some of the even more hardcore titles). i'm hopeful that they'll lay out a roadmap for more game modes that can keep non-aviation enthusiasts engaged longer term.

Given that xbox is doing smart delivery... couldn't they just announce release dates for the summer games, and just say that they'll be smart delivery ready on release?
I'm thinking about Halo.
I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean release on Xbox One, but delay the Series X launch? Or are you saying release the games early..? I'm not sure what the benefit of doing either would be, to be honest.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I wonder how they will go about discontinuing gold if the rumour is true. converting every gold sub to a gamepass sub for time remaining could be an interesting way of getting a large amount of people in to try the service.

I bet they'd do a one-time 1:1 conversion of XBLG time, which would also explain why they discontinued one year subs ahead of time.

My money is still on them folding Gold's features into regular Xbox Game Pass though, not eliminating the paywall entirely.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Super curious to see when they bring Flight Sim to Series X, esp. if it blows up and everyone loves it.

Hoping it's launch and I think it was rumored to be (??) but I could see 2021 too....

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Mm. Yes and no. This is something that has already transcended the simulator community into broader gamer consciousness and it could not have come at a better cultural moment. People who have never touched a flight sim will be considering picking this up, and reviews from people like them will still matter. I would not be surprised if the initial groups of people playing this game would include a significant population of people who have never bought a flight sim before - indeed, its place near the top of the charts practically guarantees it.

Oh I don't disagree, but as I said - for the actual SIMULATOR people, reviews will be pretty worthless. I frequent a couple of flight sim forums, and they are mostly deconstructing and griping about inaccuracies, when they aren't gawking at the visuals.

Hoping it's launch and I think it was rumored to be (??) but I could see 2021 too....

I don't expect it at launch. They'll have an inevitable period of scrambling to fix and improve stuff after the sim launches, that'll tie them up for a while.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What would you guys think of Dirt 5 being the rumored third party title launching on Game Pass? A racing game at Series X launch to fill the Forza void?

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
great post by 343i, good that they clarified on lots of stuff and rumors :)

What would you guys think of Dirt 5 being the rumored third party title launching on Game Pass? A racing game at Series X launch to fill the Forza void?
I think it would show that people are expecting way too much on the basis of vague rumors (many thought third party title = Cyberpunk or Batman)

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to consider Flight Sim's launch as the unofficial start of next gen, even though that officially starts when the first console releases.

It's just clearly a next gen game that happens to be releasing PC first before the actual consoles release.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I'm starting to consider Flight Sim's launch as the unofficial start of next gen, even though that officially starts when the first console releases.

It's just clearly a next gen game that happens to be releasing PC first before the actual consoles release.

Aye. The console releases are semi-arbitrary, semi-meaningful markers of a shift, but the PC is continually progressing.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting news coming out of my football club today:

Really surprising, most fans were under the impression that he had done an amazing job.

I know people here love Phil, but give me half a chance and I'd swap him for Peter Moore to come back in a heartbeat.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The art style is a big reason why it looks so nice. They describe the art style as having "legacy aesthetics" with "a more vibrant palette, "cleaner" models and objects with less "noise", though it doesn't mean less detail". I cannot properly express how much I love that they've chosen to go back to a classic look.

Hmmm, free-to-play Halo would be a megaton.
It would be huge! I'm very interested to see how they're dropping the Gold paywall with this.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Interesting news coming out of my football club today:

Really surprising, most fans were under the impression that he had done an amazing job.

I know people here love Phil, but give me half a chance and I'd swap him for Peter Moore to come back in a heartbeat.

He starts reaching for his sleeve and you know your about to get that megaton

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Oof. Peter Moore has been great. I wonder what's next?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Question about this whole 120fps thing....

Is this something optional or standard (if it's happening) meaning, did the devs have to cut corners and make sacrifices (visually for example) or none of that?

Because yes, it's great the XSX can do 120fps, but how many people realistically can use it? Also, let's first get most of these games at 60fps first without hopefully not too many sacrifices? If they do have to leave stuff out because of that, I'd find that waste. I don't really yet get this whole....drive I guess to deliver 120fps. For BC games? Yes.

Adab1za9

Jun 8, 2020

Is this something optional or standard (if it's happening) meaning, did the devs have to cut corners and make sacrifices (visually for example) or none of that?

Because yes, it's great the XSX can do 120fps, but how many people realistically can use it? Also, let's first get most of these games at 60fps first without hopefully not too many sacrifices? If they do have to leave stuff out because of that, I'd find that waste. I don't really yet get this whole....drive I guess to deliver 120fps. For BC games? Yes.

120fps does make a difference even if your TV is only 60hz (helps with latency) and MP should be lighter than the Campaign so it shouldn't be a big sacrifice and they may just use 1440p or something for it.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
I have a question but don't know where to post it. Someone i blocked years ago on Xbox live has suddenly reappeared in my followers list despite the ban. I've tried blocking and unblocking but they're still stuck there. I really don't like they could be seeing what games I'm playing and trying to find me in matchmaking (they've done that in the past). Xbox follower system seems broken if it allows blocked players to just follow me again anyways.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I feel Halo Infinite MP going free to play will cheapen the franchise immeasurably. Who's gonna pay $60 for campaign only?

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018

I can't disagree more. FPS is king. I'd take 60fps or 120fps over extra visual detail literally any day.

dotnetguy

Jul 12, 2020
www.halowaypoint.com

Halo Community Update - Infinite Inquiries

In the past two weeks we've unveiled Halo Infinite, launched Halo 3 on PC as part of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, helped raise money for a good cause, released tons of Halo gear, and so much more. Since this is a pretty hefty Community Update, let's jump right in!

Some good info here. The Infinite demo was weeks old btw.
Very good to see them speaking candidly about graphics, even including a shoutout to the excellent DF analysis video.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I feel Halo Infinite MP going free to play will cheapen the franchise immeasurably. Who's gonna pay $60 for campaign only?
I'm not anxious about them cheapening the franchise, as the Singleplayer seems to be more important than ever.

What I am anxious about is them leveraging its F2P status as an excuse for an invasive microtransactions model.

dotnetguy

Jul 12, 2020
I know F2P has a commonly accepted definition, but in this case, does it mean...

- You can play Halo Infinite MP without owning the game/having game pass; or
- If you own Infinite you can play MP without XBL Gold

One Night

Jun 6, 2018
I haven't been active since before the Showcase so unsure if it's been posted by anyone else. The 'Optimized for Series X' badge has been retired and will no longer appear on the front of physical retail boxes. An 'Optimized for Series X' feature listing will still appear on the back of the box for applicable games. Not sure if MS will officially communicate on this (probably not). Expect to see online assets like packshots on retailer websites change over the coming weeks.

EDIT: I'm pretty happy it's gone. It was way too big imo and occupied too much space on the front. Glad each game's key art will be more visible.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
We had awful
I haven't been active since before the Showcase so unsure if it's been posted by anyone else. The 'Optimized for Series X' badge has been retired and will no longer appear on the front of physical retail boxes. An 'Optimized for Series X' feature listing will still appear on the back of the box for applicable games. Not sure if MS will officially communicate on this (probably not). Expect to see online assets like packshots on retailer websites change over the coming weeks.

I didn't know this so not sure if it's been posted. Good news.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

EDIT: I'm pretty happy it's gone. It was way too big imo and occupied too much space on the front. Glad each game's key art will be more visible.
awesome news

Steo

Sep 28, 2018
Dublin, Ireland.

Good stuff.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

That's pretty cool. I wasn't really bothered by it either tbh. Still, I know that I was probably in the minority on that, so people should be happy now.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Great to hear. I don't mind the info that much, but the size of the badge and the contrast made it really hard to balance the artwork, especially when placed on top of the already massive rating icon.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Grounded is pretty great. And that's coming from a non-fan of pure survival games (albeit also a massive Obsidian fanboy).

This is how Sea of Thieves should have launched in 2018. Base gameplay loop and progression on Game Preview and Game Pass, full release with the first couple of expansions.

Status
Not open for further replies.