• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
They need it. Launch window is terrible, and 2021 is unclear and seems is going to be weak atm.

I expect Perfectk Dark + Hellblade 2 during TGA as well, then a big IX in spring.

It's not even that unclear.

Here is launch window:
Psychonauts 2
Halo Infinite
Flight Simulator
Sable
The Gunk
40k Darktide
As Dusk Falls
The Medium
PSO 2 New Genesis
Echo Generation
The Ascent
12 Minutes

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

This is likely for Starfield. Inon Zur works mostly with Bethesda, did all of the Fallout soundtracks since FO3 and did the soundtrack for TES: Blades too (which was awesome). After Jeremy Soule was cancelled, Inon Zur will most likely do all of Bethesda soundtracks. So yeah, this is most likely for Starfield.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
That's weird. You would think that if the Series X can do 4K 60fps that the Series S could do it at 1080p. Kind of head scratching.
It's a puzzling one to be sure, but it appears to be the outlier compared to what we're seeing for other games. Ubi's open world games are very hardware demanding, including some of them not performing very well even of good PC hardware.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I mean, if you look at the current team at The Initiative, it's all freakin' unicorns lol

They are building a top notch team there, with senior people that can produce a new game and take it to the finish line while also establishing production pipelines, workflows and a team culture. And be successfull in the first try (+ while going through a worldwide pandemic).

You can only do that with talent in the top 5%. Mark my words, The Initiative will be a reference studio before the Series X gets a successor.
I agree with the caveat that they couldnt foresee a pandemic this year in early 2018 when they started to plan the initiative out.

Their first game will still take a while to come out, people expect to see a trailer at the game awards based on bootys comment and that they saved some games from the last showcase, but I wouldnt be surprised if we only see it next year, at least we know its has had a playable build for a while, which is good considering their size and how long theyve been working on it, but it is probably not ready in a way that can be shown.

Last edited:

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I agree with the caveat that they couldnt foresee a pandemic this year in early 2018 when they started to plan the initiative out.

Their first game will still take a while to come out, people expect to see a trailer at the game awards based on bootys comment and that they saved some cases from the last showcase, but I wouldnt be surprised if we only see it next year, at least we know its has had a playable build for a while, which is good considering their size and how long theyve been working on it, but it is probably not ready in a way that can be shown.
Yeah, I'd rather not see it yet than be disappointed with a mediocre trailer. The game is at least a few years away. It's unlikely to be polished enough to have anything but a cinematic trailer. I hope we'll get a gameplay trailer of Fable at the TGAs (it probably is very unlikely though).

Etoh

Oct 25, 2017
San Juan, Puerto Rico

This is likely for Starfield. Inon Zur works mostly with Bethesda, did all of the Fallout soundtracks since FO3 and did the soundtrack for TES: Blades too (which was awesome). After Jeremy Soule was cancelled, Inon Zur will most likely do all of Bethesda soundtracks. So yeah, this is most likely for Starfield.

I think this is for Outriders (he's scoring that game).

A little Off Topic – it's a pity a talent like Jeremy Soule had to be such a fucking piece of scum. His work on KOTOR, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim is legendary, but...

Yeah. Fucking scumbag.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I think this is for Outriders (he's scoring that game).

A little Off Topic – it's a pity a talent like Jeremy Soule had to be such a fucking piece of scum. His work on KOTOR, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim is legendary, but...

Yeah. Fucking scumbag.
Nah, Outriders will release just in a few months. It's unlikely that he's still doing the soundtrack for it. And it isn't a "next gen" game.

On Jeremy Soule: agreed. Such an amazingly talented person, but yeah. It's honestly upsetting. I hope whoever does TES6's soundtrack will get it right.

Nov 8, 2017
What Xbox needs is Starfield to be exclusive.

That alone won't do anything, it has to also be a project that looks exciting and preferably graphically impressive too. Elder Scrolls and Fallout has name recognition, Starfield as their first new IP in ages will have some level of hype based on the developer but that means nothing to the broader population, it'll have to win over people mostly on it's own merits.

I would encourage letting the game cook for as long as it needs to in order to make sure that when it lands, it's a huge deal.

KozukiOden

Feb 5, 2019
That's weird. You would think that if the Series X can do 4K 60fps that the Series S could do it at 1080p. Kind of head scratching.

im just confused
The one that captured this footage said it is 1080/60 but he cant capture 60fps so im not sure about that info

www.youtube.com

Xbox Series S | Assassin's Creed Valhalla | First Look

#AssassinsCreedValhalla #XboxSeriesS #Ubisoft Broadcasted live on Twitch -- Watch live at https://www.twitch.tv/xboxgamingeu

Etoh

Oct 25, 2017
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Nah, Outriders will release just in a few months. It's unlikely that he's still doing the soundtrack for it.

On Jeremy Soule: agreed. Such an amazingly talented person, but yeah. It's honestly upsetting. I hope whoever does TES6's soundtrack will get it right.

Hmm, yah... I think you're right!

And on TES VI, Bethesda really needs to go all out when hiring the composer. Perhaps look at Gareth Cocker, Jesper Kyd, Curtis Schweitzer or Joris de Man... Austin Wintory is amazing, as well. We'll see.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
So it seems like MS have in fact been talking to developers in Japan, re: possible acquisitions. Wonder who they've approached.

On top of that, there's evidence Microsoft is seeking to make acquisitions in the country, though it hasn't yet landed a deal with a big name there. Several Japan-based game developers, from small to big, said it had approached them about buying their businesses. They asked not to be identified as the talks were private, and declined to give details on how the discussions went.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
That alone won't do anything, it has to also be a project that looks exciting and preferably graphically impressive too. Elder Scrolls and Fallout has name recognition, Starfield as their first new IP in ages will have some level of hype based on the developer but that means nothing to the broader population, it'll have to win over people mostly on it's own merits.

I would encourage letting the game cook for as long as it needs to in order to make sure that when it lands, it's a huge deal.
Yes, I meant to begin with. Of course, apart from Xbox having exclusives games, they have to be very high quality.

With such a brilliant portfolio of studios, we can only hope for the best.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
So it seems like MS have in fact been talking to developers in Japan, re: possible acquisitions. Wonder who they've approached.

It would be a great movement for Xbox to have a japanese studio, especially in terms of prestige.

I have read rumors about From Software and as all of you alread know, Sega. I see the latter is more feasible, but I have yet to see with my own eyes tho.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just watching watching a recent JorRaptor stream of Valhalla on the Series X and he said the game hasn't received the optimization patch, yet. This is probably already known, but I haven't been following things closely. Maybe this could explains some of the graphical concerns people mentioned with recent Series X gameplay?

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
It's not even that unclear.

Here is launch window:
Psychonauts 2
Halo Infinite
Flight Simulator
Sable
The Gunk
40k Darktide
As Dusk Falls
The Medium
PSO 2 New Genesis
Echo Generation
The Ascent
12 Minutes
As it stands, that lineup already looks better than this years, and I'm sure there's more to revealed later. I don't think Xbox has any problems with games going forward.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
From bloomberg article:
"On top of that, there's evidence Microsoft is seeking to make acquisitions in the country, though it hasn't yet landed a deal with a big name there. Several Japan-based game developers, from small to big, said it had approached them about buying their businesses. They asked not to be identified as the talks were private, and declined to give details on how the discussions went."

So I guess rumors were true if even bloomberg is reporting on it.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018

I really think you're underestimating just how much clout the Bethesda Games Studios name endows. They - Todd Howard included - are a brand and icon in and of itself that absolutely has reached a point where anything they do will draw the attention of the "broader population"; the only studios in the industry rn with more weight are Rockstar, Blizzard, and possibly CDProject Red. Starfield could literally be a Fallout 4 re-skin in space but market it with the line "From the studio that brought you Elder Scrolls and Fallout" and it'll instantly be one of the most hotly anticipated titles of the year and a system seller.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I gotta imagine they've been doing this for a while, matter of time right? I kind of hope it's a combination of one team that makes a big splash and one or two smaller teams or older teams that haven't been on top of their game recently but have a lot of potential.

I don't really have a preference for another Japanese studio joining XGS after looking up Valhalla Studios. Apparently Itagaki isn't even a game director/designer anymore and his position is now Advisor.

This isn't really unheard of. For example Mikami stepped back after Evil Within to lead the studio and advise but give the new generation of creative a chance to make their mark. He's still pretty involved and seems to be keeping up the quality and spirit of the studio. Tango did have a pretty strong first outing, I can't say off the top of my head what Valhallas first / recent games were.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
If they could snag sega, fromsoftware, and other smaller studios like level 5, I would think that would be all they would ever need.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Form software would break era.

I think ms needs to prove to japanese devs that they are not going to force them to make non japanese games

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
I'm not sure where to ask this but does anyone use a sound bar? I plan on buying one (leaning toward a Sonos Arc) but I've never had a sound bar before. It's a Dolby Atmos one so it should work with my CX and the Series X right?
Also, it only has one HDMI port that will go in the EArc hdmi port on my tv. If my Series X is connected in a regular port in the tv instead of the sound bar, will I still get Dolby Atmos sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.