xboxfpsboost.jpg

First batch of compatible games:
  • Far Cry 4
  • New Super Lucky's Tale (120 fps)
  • Sniper Elite 4
  • Watch Dogs 2
  • UFC 4 (60fps on Xbox Series S)
www.theverge.com

Microsoft’s new FPS Boost mode for Xbox Series X and S can double frame rates in games

This new feature can double or even quadruple frame rates in certain existing games.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
news.xbox.com

Making Backward Compatible Games Even Better with FPS Boost - Xbox Wire

When we were designing Xbox Series X|S, we knew we wanted to continue our commitment to compatibility we started back in 2015, enabling gamers to play their favorite titles from past generations on the new consoles. Nearly all titles benefit from next generation features like faster loading...

We're excited to announce the first assortment of backward compatible titles that will support FPS Boost – available beginning today – are Far Cry 4, New Super Lucky's Tale, Sniper Elite 4, UFC 4, and Watch Dogs 2. We chose this initial collection of titles not only because they are popular among fans, but to highlight several different ways that FPS Boost can improve your experience. For example, New Super Lucky's Tale can now run up to 120 frames per second (fps) and UFC 4 delivers improved framerate performance specifically on Xbox Series S and can now run at 60fps.

This is just the beginning. We will announce and release more titles featuring FPS Boost soon, as well roll out new menu icons and system settings in an upcoming system update. Starting this Spring, you can go into the "Manage Game" section for any title, where you'll be presented with a new "Compatibility Options" button that will allow you to toggle FPS Boost (as well as Auto HDR) on or off. There will also be a new indicator informing you when a game is running with FPS Boost whenever you hit the Xbox Button on your controller. You decide how you want to play your favorite games, whether in its original form or with FPS Boost.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yeah this seems promising! Hopefully Sega gets in the mix on this and I can finally experience Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations at 60 FPS instead of 30!

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
This is fantastic, and surely a huge feat to accomplish.

But I have to wonder, what happened to Fallout 4?

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Very cool, it blows my mind how Sony gets so absolutely dunked on when it comes to BC and they don't seem to give a shit about it. Not interested in any of the initial 5 games they are talking about, well maybe Lucky, but can't wait to see more.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Neat. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to roll out updates for more games.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Great feature for sure! Definitely seems like this is on a case by case basis which makes sense - I'm sure a lot of games would break if they just upped the FPS without properly fixing it.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Very impressive.

I've been putting off playing Far Cry 5 due to it being locked at 30 fps. Far Cry 4 being on this list gives me high hopes that Far Cry 5 might come later.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the BC team is doing this? At least this seems way better than the PS5 implementation that requires devs to patch it in.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Being able to turn on/off Auto HDR and FPS Boost on a per game basis is very nice. Though strange Fallout 4 isn't in the first batch since that's what they initially showed off. For the time being you can get Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE running at 60fps with mods anyway.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox is really going above and beyond with BC. So many great things happening with Xbox right now.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass and now this.

illegal stuff happening here

Might finally try out Far cry 4

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's stuff like this that really justifies investing in Microsoft's ecosystem, even when the exclusive games don't always hit. I feel way more confident my older purchases will have expanded life on new hardware.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Love the continued support of BC. Wonder if they will be able to do this for any 360 games...

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
But only two of those games are FPS 🤔

Bad jokes aside, this sounds great, and I look forward to it hopefully coming to more games

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Really impressive work from the bc team. Hopefully they apply it to some interesting games soon.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Gotta give respect to Microsoft for their commitment to backwards compatibility. This is a huge feat for the team.

Look forward to it expanding to more games.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
So no resolution upgrade ? 60fps is nice but sub 1080p is hard to look at (watchdogs 2)