• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I will be very impressed if RDR2 can hit 60 FPS at 4K on the Series X.
It hits a pretty consistent 30fps on Xbox One X at 4k and the Series X has just over twice the raw power of a One X (6TF to 12.1TF) so on a theoretical level it is technically possible, though that's not taking into account that the power difference probably doesn't scale one to one based on the difference in chip design (the One X is 40CUs at 1.172Ghz, XSX is 52CUs at 1.826Ghz) since the code is the same and was optimized for the One X.

Still, Jason Ronald was talking about doing all sorts of stuff to hit the 60fps target in games in the Colteastwood interview like disabling anisotropic filtering, tweaking resolution and some other stuff, so I have no doubts that they could figure out how to pull off 60fps RDR2 if they were given the approval by Take Two to develop a patch, but that's a pretty big if

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Still, Jason Ronald was talking about doing all sorts of stuff to hit the 60fps target in games in the Colteastwood interview like disabling anisotropic filtering, tweaking resolution and some other stuff, so I have no doubts that they could figure out how to pull off 60fps RDR2 if they were given the approval by Take Two to develop a patch, but that's a pretty big if

I thought the whole point of this method developed by MS was to allow them to push updates to titles on an emulator level, meaning that technically the game code doesn't change (so it is not a patch) and they do not need dev/publisher permission. MS should be able to release this without any permission. Once they implement the ability to turn the feature on/off per game there really shouldn't be an issue.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I thought the whole point of this method developed by MS was to allow them to push updates to titles on an emulator level, meaning that technically the game code doesn't change (so it is not a patch) and they do not need dev/publisher permission. MS should be able to release this without any permission. Once they implement the ability to turn the feature on/off per game there really shouldn't be an issue.
They are making these changes at a system/VM level and are not changing game code yes, however, Jason Ronald said in the interview that they are still seeking publisher approval for these enhancements regardless, probably to prevent burning any bridges with publishers.

Like, you can imagine Take Two/Rockstar would be pretty pissed if they were making a 4k60FPS "remaster" of RDR2 that would cost a full $70 and then MS just releases a free patch for the original game for free to owners of the original game. So MS is being careful to not anger their partners and burn any bridges

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS asks permission from publishers/devs before releasing these enhancements because they are their partners and want to maintain good relationships with them. If a publisher denies them permission then MS will not release the enhancement to the public.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden

MS have been very clear that they will / cannot do this to titles without the approval from the developers (or publisher, rather) since at the end of the day it's not Microsoft's property that they are fudging with. The most likely reason they would get a "no" regarding this is if the game in question is getting a proper/official remaster or next-gen update, which in that case the boosted title will be a direct competitor. Especially if the publisher plan on charging for their own remaster/update. That's why I really don't think R* will allow a 60fps boost to RDR2, even if it was possible, since they most likely will release a remaster of their own just like they plan to do with GTAV.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
MS have been very clear that they will / cannot do this to titles without the approval from the developers (or publisher, rather) since at the end of the day it's not Microsoft's property that they are fudging with. The most likely reason they would get a "no" regarding this is if the game in question is getting a proper/official remaster or next-gen update, which in that case the boosted title will be a direct competitor. Especially if the publisher plan on charging for their own remaster/update. That's why I really don't think R* will allow a 60fps boost to RDR2, even if it was possible, since they most likely will release a remaster of their own just like they plan to do with GTAV.
So no sunset overdrive? Because if so that would suck.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of unfortunate because this isn't really that different from unlocking the fps of a game on your PC and that shouldn't really be the developers business anymore. But I get that MS wants to stay in good graces of the devs

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of unfortunate because this isn't really that different from unlocking the fps of a game on your PC and that shouldn't really be the developers business anymore. But I get that MS wants to stay in good graces of the devs
It's one of the biggest differences between PC being an open system and console being a closed system.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm hoping the Bethesda deal will give us 60fps for pretty much every game they published for the platform. That would be quite the gift for Xbox users.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
If you don't mind a key it's 13€ at cdkeys.com

www.cdkeys.com

Watch Dogs 2 Xbox One

Buy Watch Dogs 2 Xbox One ✔️ CD Key ✔️ Instant download ✔️ Fantastic price ✔️ Digital Download ✔️
Thanks for this. I just bought Watch Dogs 2 for about $CDN20 and have already redeemed the code (got it pretty much instanty). I also picked up AC: Unity for $CDN2. Got that code too.

I paid with PayPal and got both codes instantly. Downloading the games now.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Of course, one of the biggest things with RDR2 is that it's very likely that they'll break something SOMEWHERE. Jason Ronald's already told stories about games that looked like they were going to be great all the way through - until some random character animates double speed or the final boss fails after 50 hours. That sort of thing may always be a limitation in many games, especially if the bar is basically perfection. And the longer, more involved, and more systemic/sandbox-y a game is, the more opportunities it will have to break and fail.

Even if it did work, they wouldn't complete the testing until they put in thousands of hours, probably, which would take a lot of time. Unless they crowdsourced it. Really hope they do that with a tight insider ring.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I just didn't want to buy anything that would get my account banned.

Not at all. Tons of people use CDkeys. And Microsoft will never ban you for using a legit key, which CDKeys is only going to deal in. They have a plenty good thing going right now with legit keys and they're kind of a go to site. I don't even know if it's possible to generate Microsoft store keys.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm most of the way though Sniper Elite 4. This game looks and plays surprisingly well, though being a 2020 title, that makes perfect sense. It looks clean between the 1080p resolution and what must (?) be the higher texture filtering on the Series X.

I lucked out, and was also able to order a $10 USD physical copy of Far Cry 4.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Thanks. I just didn't want to buy anything that would get my account banned.
AFAIK ckdeys sells valid keys they bought in masses. It's the only key site I bought keys and Xbox Live cards from in the past. It's known for it's hilariously cheap Unity keys :)

www.cdkeys.com

Assassin's Creed Unity Xbox One - Digital Code

Buy Assassin's Creed Unity Xbox One - Digital Code ✔️ CD Key ✔️ Instant download ✔️ Fantastic price ✔️ Digital Download ✔️

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a matter of resolution, it's a game that just destroys CPUs on PC.
Your comments about PC version peaked my interest so I reinstalled PC version now that I have a 3080. Game runs at 4K 60FPS lock on Ultra preset, so your comments that you can't get 60fps experience on PC aren't true. My CPU isn't even cutting edge, it's almost 7 year old now hah (although it's 5820K with 6 cores and 12 threads so that helps a lot nowadays). I can see how old 4 core CPUs can struggle here, but any mid range CPU from last couple of years should have no problems at all running WD2.

Whatever bottlenecking I had was all graphics card related when I pushed beyond Ultra setting, CPU was always running at 50-60% usage. So yeah, I don't think WD2 is badly optimized or anything, it's just a demanding game, and if you have decent hardware you can get good solid experience on PC.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Can I redeem a US code on a BR account? What if I change the country, redeem the code and go back to US? Far Cry 4 is pretty cheap on CDKeys.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. Tons of people use CDkeys. And Microsoft will never ban you for using a legit key, which CDKeys is only going to deal in. They have a plenty good thing going right now with legit keys and they're kind of a go to site. I don't even know if it's possible to generate Microsoft store keys.
No but they will ban you if your key happens to be bought with a stolen credit card. I was banned for marketplace theft and lost access to my account. They reverted it after I provided receipts that I bought the key from g2a (I was not aware that something like that happens there at that time and did not think about it since the price point was basically like all other key selling places). They said if that happens again I'm out for good.
This was very scary and I won't buy from anything not authorized by ms again. It's shitty how they handle this, I think on Steam they just revoke the key and that's it

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
No but they will ban you if your key happens to be bought with a stolen credit card. I was banned for marketplace theft and lost access to my account. They reverted it after I provided receipts that I bought the key from g2a (I was not aware that something like that happens there at that time and did not think about it since the price point was basically like all other key selling places). They said if that happens again I'm out for good.
This was very scary and I won't buy from anything not authorized by ms again. It's shitty how they handle this, I think on Steam they just revoke the key and that's it

That's kind of G2A's whole thing though and why everyone hates them.

CDkeys sources theirs legitimately. G2A is some back alley crime shit. No joke. Developers literally want you to pirate instead of using G2A. The only time I have used G2A is to get some really old steam games that didn't have keys literally anywhere else on the internet.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of G2A's whole thing though and why everyone hates them.

CDkeys sources theirs legitimately. G2A is some back alley crime shit. No joke. Developers literally want you to pirate instead of using G2A. The only time I have used G2A is to get some really old steam games that didn't have keys literally anywhere else on the internet.
Yeah I found out afterwards, learned the lesson the hard way. cdkeys is legit, but not authorized and that's too risky for me. Don't want to loose my access forever.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This new feature/technology is a curse and a blessing.

On one hand, it's incredibly impressive how this can be activated for games from the server side without any patch. Which could mean we could get this for a lot more games in the end as we might think.

On the other hand tho, this will make actual "X Enhanced" patches for BC games less a thing than they already are in this new gen.
And it's also alarming for preservation and offline usage in the future. Yes, a patch is already not the same as "on disc" anymore. But at least it's still a "physical" thing, saved on your console, being able to be used no matter what happens with any licenses or companies.
A server side activation tho, could be taken away with the snap of a finger whenever they decide to do so.
I'm not sure how much I like that.

So, you thought Xbox adding an FPS boost was gonna be the bigger problem when it came to game preservation

america.jpg