• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Hoping they do some of the Resident Evils before village. I usually like to do a run through before a new one so this would be great

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I sincerely hope literally every single Assassin's Creed game before Valhalla gets a boost, especially the Ezio Collection, AC4, Unity, and Syndicate. Much like Far Cry 4, all of those games were released before One X enhancements were a thing, and currently just run at their basic Xbox One framerate - which is barely 30fps.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
*watch dogs 2*
"really impressive actually, runs at silky smooth 60 fps"
*900p resolution*

cmon....
So blame Ubisoft for not bothering to update the game on Xbox even though a PS4 Pro patch exists... MS have already doubled the framerate of their game for them for free, it shouldn't be on them to do what Ubisoft should be doing.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Oh ok, that could be it then.
I have a 4K 120hz TV, that's why I'm asking. ;)

Thought the option to activate or deactivate comes later but it already has the little logo/sticker.
Good to know.

Oh shit, that too. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Was searching Super Lucky's Tale under all Game Pass games and missed that completely. 🤦‍♂️
It's hella confusing. Playtonic did a bad job of telling people that NSLT has been reworked to the point where it's more of a sequel than an enhanced version. Most of the levels and hubs were completely overhauled. It has all new cutscenes and a completely rewritten story (though you fight the same bunch of evil cats). They reworked the controls. The level themes and the order you play through them is the same, and many of the same level names show up, but some of them have been expanded and reworked to the point where they're unrecognizably the same level. The Soggy Boggy Boys level I remember being an espescially significant overhaul from being a small short level with a few basic puzzles to being an expansive level with loads of platforming.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
I am seriously considering planning to buy a Series S and a "HDR ready 32 inch 1080p or sub 1080p" TV to use for legacy games....

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like downloading it and witnessing this mess myself now that I have better hardware
I mean, you can run it at 60, but it's pretty usual to have noticeable dips in framerate driving around, and have enormous spikes of CPU usage. It's not completely awful, on foot or on missions it runs pretty good.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Shame about WD2 being at 60fps but being locked at 900p. Ubisoft never updated the game to One X specs.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
A lot has been mentioned about these titles being old or undesirable or both. However, I think there are likely a couple of reasons for that. The first has been mentioned by a few people: they seem to have chosen diverse titles from a genre and tech perspective. However, I believe there might be another reason. I would guess that all of these games currently have pretty stable and flat statistics around purchases, downloads, and playtime and have been stable for awhile. By making this announcement and deploying the enhancements on the same day they can now chart how those statistics change. Do sales see a spike, do these games see a measurable amount of new Monthly Activity? Does any related DLC see a spike?, etc. This data then gives them possible info about what types of games to target, whether the benefits outweigh any testing cost, etc. Maybe just as importantly it gives them concrete data they can show to partners when approaching them to sign off on these type of updates.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I tried playing NSLT today but didn't see any mention of FPS boost. Gonna try with Sniper Elite 4 and see what happens.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Sniper Elite 4 is definitely running at 60fps but I don't get the FPS Boost badge like Auto HDR. Maybe it'll appear soon?

Also, this games feels sooo much better in 60fps. Can't wait for this to come out for other games

Gwyn

Oct 25, 2017
Latest xbox skip ahead build shows the FPS boost icon when I played NSLT.
I had to drop resolution to 1080p from system settings since lg b7 can't do 4K 120FPS.

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
Mirror's Edge, Portal and Sonic Generations please!

Also, getting the resolution up to 4k from the early One/360 games would be great (at least the ones I mentioned above are already 4K on the X).

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome, but a really strange list of titles. Hopefully some more popular title support comes soon or they find a way to enable it in most games.

Dec 11, 2017
74-C2389-E-122-D-420-F-A2-A8-4-FE0-F43-CCD15.webp

Looking at the thumbnail that might contain future FPS boost candidates, and I was surprised to see Cuphead there. I suppose it would make the bullet-hell easier to navigate.

Then again, this background of games might be completely unrelated because I think the developers of Rocket League added 120fps with a specific patch so it shouldn't be using "FPS boost".

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
A lot has been mentioned about these titles being old or undesirable or both. However, I think there are likely a couple of reasons for that. The first has been mentioned by a few people: they seem to have chosen diverse titles from a genre and tech perspective. However, I believe there might be another reason. I would guess that all of these games currently have pretty stable and flat statistics around purchases, downloads, and playtime and have been stable for awhile. By making this announcement and deploying the enhancements on the same day they can now chart how those statistics change. Do sales see a spike, do these games see a measurable amount of new Monthly Activity? Does any related DLC see a spike?, etc. This data then gives them possible info about what types of games to target, whether the benefits outweigh any testing cost, etc. Maybe just as importantly it gives them concrete data they can show to partners when approaching them to sign off on these type of updates.
Well, I can say in my small circle of friends, many have downloaded Sniper Elite 4 in the last day due to this update. Going by my friends list that has about 400+ people on it, there was a good 50 of them playing Sniper Elite or New Super Lucky's Tale yesterday...which is something I never seen for any of these two games. Both games happen to be Game Pass games as well.

It will be interesting to see what the sales of Watch Dogs 2 is after they put it on a sale. Currently it is $49.99 which is pretty outrageous for such an old game...but I have it added to my wish list so when it goes on sale and if the sale is good I will 100% buy the game.

I know, again based on my IRL friends and people on my friends list that engagement goes up on games that get enhanced. Back before the Series Consoles, when a game would get "X" Enhanced I would see a lot more people playing that game on my friends list. When Gears 2 and Gears 3 were updated it was a massive amount of people playing those games the day the enhancements rolled out.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
This is awesome, but a really strange list of titles. Hopefully some more popular title support comes soon or they find a way to enable it in most games.
It needed a few more titles as part of the roll out and perhaps 1 or 2 big titles like Fallout 4 or something else that is more popular. Still love these updates! I am more looking forward to is getting more enhanced games resolution wise like they did when the One X was around. There are still a lot of 360 games that could use the resolution bump....if they are able to do that and a performance bump it would be amazing. Lost Odyssey at near 4k/60fps! Oh my!

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
74-C2389-E-122-D-420-F-A2-A8-4-FE0-F43-CCD15.webp

Looking at the thumbnail that might contain future FPS boost candidates, and I was surprised to see Cuphead there. I suppose it would make the bullet-hell easier to navigate.

Then again, this background of games might be completely unrelated because I think the developers of Rocket League added 120fps with a specific patch so it shouldn't be using "FPS boost".
These background games are completely unrelated. They've used similar stock background photos in the past and they never are a hint at anything.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's not bug free though. I just tried a miniball game where you have to go from point A to point B and it slows down like crazy.

Interesting. Curious to see that.
I noticed when you beat an opponent and the last 1 second it's flowing up the air the animation also seems to go back to 30 or so, no idea if that's intended.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was interesting that Jason Ronald made it very clear that the game publisher/developer gets final approval on the "updated" game - ensuring the FPS Boost updated game maintains the original vision. It sounds like MS is being very careful not to step on anyone's toes - while at the same time trying to make older games better across the board.

I know I immediately went to the MS store to check out Far Cry 4. If it would have been cheaper (not paying $CDN27 for a game I played in 2014) I would have immediately purchased it and tried it out. Renewed interest and new sales benefits both Microsoft and the original publisher/developer.

Only thing I don't like about this is I wouldn't be surprised if publishers didn't want changes made to older games because they don't want people focusing on those older games. :/

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was interesting that Jason Ronald made it very clear that the game publisher/developer gets final approval on the "updated" game - ensuring the FPS Boost updated game maintains the original vision. It sounds like MS is being very careful not to step on anyone's toes - while at the same time trying to make older games better across the board.

I understand MS's caution, Can't imagine a publisher would be too happy if they were working on a remaster of something and then Microsoft dropped an update to make it 4K60, I'm a little surprised Ubisoft were ok with them doing it with Watch Dogs 2 so soon after Legions not that well received launch, But it's also a great way to boost sales of old games without the publisher having to do anything.

Hoping we get some new additions with these features soon, Max Payne (all of them) and Stranglehold on XBox at 4K 60 would be amazing.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I understand MS's caution, Can't imagine a publisher would be too happy if they were working on a remaster of something and then Microsoft dropped an update to make it 4K60, I'm a little surprised Ubisoft were ok with them doing it with Watch Dogs 2 so soon after Legions not that well received launch, But it's also a great way to boost sales of old games without the publisher having to do anything.

Hoping we get some new additions with these features soon, Max Payne (all of them) and Stranglehold on XBox at 4K 60 would be amazing.

I think one thing a lot of companies need to also consider is like, for a lot of people, no matter how much "You can jump in at this entry!" you say, like, a lot of people just really prefer to play a new series from the beginning. But if someone is that way, but a game is like, 810p30 or something, for the first one, they may be less inclined to. Hell maybe they bought the game, but they don't want to buy the new one since they haven't played the first one and they feel like they're wasting money. But you bump that first game up to 4K60 and suddenly...huh, maybe I should check it out. Play it. Beat it. Finally move onto the new one. Maybe become a fan of the series.

I am absolutely the kind of person like this, and I've met plenty who are. Is it a ton of people? I don't know, but even with friends of mine who like, don't play games, right, if they want to watch a series of movies, but there isn't an ideal way for them to watch it, they'll maybe just kinda wait. Like, say a friend of mine who hadn't seen marvel, but she wanted to watch from the beginning, but waited until the bluray came out (apparently this was 2011 according to google), since she'd seen it in theaters. She then watched it the way she wanted to, became a fan, and watched Avengers 2012 when it came out in theaters, like 3 times.

But then maybe it doesn't need to be a ton of people. It just needs to be the kind of person to whom 60 fps patch might matter. And of those people, I would imagine there's probably a significant chunk who also cares a lot about the way they consume media. I dunno. Maybe it's just like me and two other people like that lol.