• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I believe in the future, they will implement an AI upscale like this method to boost image quality.

As technology matures, MS hardware will be the best place to preserve your games.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I tried Super Lucky's Tale back when I had an Xbox One X and the game was okay at best. I love these types of games but for whatever reason the game just didn't do anything for me. Now I'm trying the NEW Super Lucky's Tale and I'm not sure what they did but the game is way better than it was. Just the overall structure and being able to control the camera all the way instead of increments. So far I'm enjoying it quite a bit especially at 120fps. My only complaint would be it's a bit too easy.

Yea and hopefully they find ways to increase the resolution in games like WD2 because sub 1080p is just hard to look at especially on a 4k TV. I don't care if it was 240htz there's no chance I'm going back to that.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this has any effect of games where the physics are tied to 30. Like how Dark Souls kinda broke in places at 60 lol.
In DF's breakdown, they mentioned the game itself is not aware of the change in framerate, so I think the game logic will remain consistent. It's mostly just a graphics thing.

Sir Chimpanzi

Nov 1, 2017
Personally, I find this great! I played a bit of Watch Dogs 2 a while ago, but it running 30 fps felt awful after getting used to most newer games running 60 fps on Series X. Today I gave it another try after the fps boost was released and felt the difference in gameplay immediately. It plays so much better now!

Of course it would be nice to get a resolution bump as well, but I think that Watch Dogs 2 did not look so bad even though it is running on fairly low resolution. I feel that the low resolution was bothering me more when the game did not run so well either.

I am excited to see what games will receive this treatment in the future and I hope that we will get new additions into the fps boosted games library as soon as possible.

ILPRT

Apr 5, 2019

xboxfpsboost.jpg

First batch of compatible games:
  • Far Cry 4
  • New Super Lucky's Tale (120 fps)
  • Sniper Elite 4
  • Watch Dogs 2
  • UFC 4 (60fps on Xbox Series S)
www.theverge.com

Microsoft’s new FPS Boost mode for Xbox Series X and S can double frame rates in games

This new feature can double or even quadruple frame rates in certain existing games.

Awesome feature. Frame rate is key for me and I hope more games continue to be announced that take care of this!

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I find it quite interesting how they are moderately impressed about this amazing tech, but they were so much more enthusiastic about that simple gow patch.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In DF's breakdown, they mentioned the game itself is not aware of the change in framerate, so I think the game logic will remain consistent. It's mostly just a graphics thing.
Interesting. Hopefully they have a deep dive into this tech but maybe it will give too much away haha. Really amazing stuff.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I find it quite interesting how they are moderately impressed about this amazing tech, but they were so much more enthusiastic about that simple gow patch.
I too was surprised about how understated they were describing something so transformative and which further raises the BC bar to incredible heights.

I do wonder if the previous attacks on Twitter towards DF, John in particular, by Sony and Xbox fanboys has made it easier to just speak fairly neutrally about amazing things like this, especially when it's on the Xbox platform which always brings out the loons.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying DF misrepresented it or anything so daft but it certainly lacked energy for something so technically impressive and right up DF's street.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I wonder if this has any effect of games where the physics are tied to 30. Like how Dark Souls kinda broke in places at 60 lol.
This is something MS have talked about with this technique. There's going to be a lot of games where running at twice the frame rate breaks things. Especially older games. Those ones won't see this feature. It's likely going to be a good rule of thumb that if there's a PC version, that this *should* work, but even then there will be cases where the PC port fixed the issues caused by unlocking the framerate and this will cause problems.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This selection seems so random, but I actually think that these games are so different from each other that they've now set the stage for any other game to join that list.

Platformer, Sports game, FPS, third person shooter, open world...

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I thought it was interesting that Jason Ronald made it very clear that the game publisher/developer gets final approval on the "updated" game - ensuring the FPS Boost updated game maintains the original vision. It sounds like MS is being very careful not to step on anyone's toes - while at the same time trying to make older games better across the board.

I know I immediately went to the MS store to check out Far Cry 4. If it would have been cheaper (not paying $CDN27 for a game I played in 2014) I would have immediately purchased it and tried it out. Renewed interest and new sales benefits both Microsoft and the original publisher/developer.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is the kind of stuff that will make me purchase and play previous gen games. nothing worse than going back to not only sub 1080p(which i know is still a thing with this), but 30 fps with constant dips. A solid 60 is fantastic and will help me overlook most resolutions problems for sure.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was interesting that Jason Ronald made it very clear that the game publisher/developer gets final approval on the "updated" game - ensuring the FPS Boost updated game maintains the original vision. It sounds like MS is being very careful not to step on anyone's toes - while at the same time trying to make older games better across the board.
This is no different to how Microsoft has always approached Enhanced BC. They need approval from the Publisher before moving forward with any BC enhancements.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone say anything about input lag?

I think input lag will be better in the sense that it takes less time between your input and the result on the screen, but maybe it can depend on stuff tied to the game logic?
Very very very few games have input lag tied to something rendered, other than animations. And way less during this gen, it was maybe a hacky thing used in the PS3/360 era, but hardly.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017

I bet it's not as much about maintaining the original vision as reserve the right to update it and sell it as a remaster rather than letting backwards compatibility make it better.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017

I know I immediately went to the MS store to check out Far Cry 4. If it would have been cheaper (not paying $CDN27 for a game I played in 2014) I would have immediately purchased it and tried it out. Renewed interest and new sales benefits both Microsoft and the original publisher/developer.

I don't know what it was listed for in $CDN, but last year Far Cry 4 was on sale almost every 4-6 weeks in one of the recurring weekly Ubisoft Xbox sales for $8 base game, $11.50 for complete Gold edition, or $15 bundled with Far Cry Primal. I'm sure it will be again. Watchdogs 2 was usually $10 for base, $17-18 for complete edition, or $25 bundled with Watchdogs 1 Gold.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Jasonofindy I will certainly look for FC4 in future MS sales. $8 is an instant purchase for me (and I may never even download it - just add it to my digital back log. :) ).

I do think an opportunity was missed. Announce these first FPS Boost games all with special sale prices and see what happens.

I would like to see a 60 fps version of RDR2 on the XSX but I would also not be surprised if Rock Star was to re-release this title as an Ultimate edition.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I simply can't find out if it's supposed to be online already or not?
Cause I don't have it with Super Lucky's Tale.

Oh and Auto HDR is awful with this game, it makes all colors completely washed out, like someone reduced the color slider on TV from 50 to 20.

Last edited:

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
It's rebooting every day since I have the sleep mode deactivated. But sure, I try that some more times. 🤔
Isn't new super luckys take already 4K60 on Series X and the frame boost takes it to 120 so if you don't have a compatible TV (and the right settings on the Xbox itself) you won't notice anything different.

If you're looking for the little sticker that says it has the boost active whilst you play, that's coming in a later dashboard update I believe.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I simply can't find out if it's supposed to be online already or not?
Cause I don't have it with Super Lucky's Tale.

Oh and Auto HDR is awful with this game, it makes all colors completely washed out, like someone reduced the color slider on TV from 50 to 20.
You might be playing the wrong game.

You need to play New Super Lucky's Tale. Which is essentially Lucky's Tale 3. Super Lucky's Tale is essentially Lucky's Tale 2.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
My wishlist to get this 60fps blessing

• Sleeping Dogs
  • Dying Light
  • Mad Max
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Forza Horizon 2
  • Far Cry 5

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Isn't new super luckys take already 4K60 on Series X and the frame boost takes it to 120 so if you don't have a compatible TV (and the right settings on the Xbox itself) you won't notice anything different.

If you're looking for the little sticker that says it has the boost active whilst you play, that's coming in a later dashboard update I believe.

Oh ok, that could be it then.
I have a 4K 120hz TV, that's why I'm asking. ;)

Thought the option to activate or deactivate comes later but it already has the little logo/sticker.
Good to know.

You might be playing the wrong game.

You need to play New Super Lucky's Tale. Which is essentially Lucky's Tale 3. Super Lucky's Tale is essentially Lucky's Tale 2.

Oh shit, that too. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Was searching Super Lucky's Tale under all Game Pass games and missed that completely. 🤦‍♂️