CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Gotta hand it to Xbox. Everything is very seamless and just carries over and works. There are enhancements and new games are coming too. Seems like they are doing everything perfectly as far as execution in the grand scheme of things.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
It's all about whether you trust Microsoft to remain benevolent once they become the overlords of gaming. And no, I don't trust any one company to be that. Hopefully we still have fierce competition long into the future.
I owe no allegiance. I have jumped from Nintendo to Sony to Sega to Xbox and every combo you can think of. I go where I perceive the best value and service. They all have ups and downs.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
No, it's a win for people with budgets. Not for gamers. This shit is going to ruin the quality of games down the line. But at least budget gamers will be happy.

I just finished Outer Worlds and it was one of the best games I've played this year. I'll soon get to play Doom Eternal for the first time and Forza 7. If those are low quality budget titles sign me up. I'll enjoy not paying $75 for a "quality" game.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
This damn thread, Elite Sony Games(TM) and Gamers on a budget are not real gamers. LMFAO.

PS5 ushering in the AAAA game generation.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
"Trojan Horse" implies their real intention is in hiding. It's not. They aren't being subtle or obtuse about this. Microsoft's intention is that every gamer be subscribed to their digital platform and every game be downloaded or streamed through their servers.

It's not about an all digital future. That is happening anyway. It's about an all Microsoft digital future.
Correct, trojan horse was definitely the wrong word to use. I just don't think being able to purchase an actual license for the game will stay around much longer.

G Darksoul

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
It's also the first time maybe in a long long time that I've seen a console manufacturer refer to "speed" of a console in its marketing. For the past decade plus, it was "most powerful". Xbox is putting "fastest" in marketing now because they know the PS5 has the substantially faster UX, and to be honest I don't blame them. Now is the time to do it.
You've got a short memory, Sony used it for the Pro a lot, and how do you know the 5's UX is faster? You've seen it or are you guessing?

RedPanda

Alt-Account
Banned
May 28, 2020
I owe no allegiance. I have jumped from Nintendo to Sony to Sega to Xbox and every combo you can think of. I go where I perceive the best value and service. They all have ups and downs.
thats nice and all, but once one of these large companies buys all the smaller guys and has control you really cant do much about it except jump onboard of what they are offering or dont play games, simple as that.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Its an extremely competitive and attractive option

Sony is pretty behind on the value proposition but probably ahead in hype exclusive titles

However I could totally see Sony buckling and making more and more of its titles available on PC in the future to stay competitive

Plus we are already seeing them get more generous in response by giving people a "gamepass lite" experience with PS Plus collection for PS5

Thank you Microsoft for pushing value and games preservation at the forefront. I may not be snagging a series X personally but I can totally see myself becoming a Gamepass Ultimate subscriber!
I don't think they'll fully buckle. The brand is too strong to fail at this point

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Easy investment to jump into Xbox this gen with Gamepass. Will be fun to play with my Xbox friends again.

Both consoles is the way to go this time around.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

I don't either, I have been all over the map as well. I'm not talking about allegiance. There is major consolidation and change happening here that I haven't seen since Sega left hardware. I worry about the repercussions long term as the competitive status quo has been good for us the past two decades.

Hopefully Sony or Amazon or somebody can compete with this Gamepass strategy long term. Or maybe Sony doesn't need to. Maybe exclusives are strong enough to weather the storm.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
thats nice and all, but once one of these large companies buys all the smaller guys and has control you really cant do much about it except jump onboard of what they are offering or dont play games, simple as that.
It's not something I am worried about as of TODAY. It's better for me if MS is NOT in the lead.
The Bethesda acquisition was impressive but I didn't need it. I was already sold on the service. I was happy.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do think that gamepass will change the way games are made in the long run, the same way access to inexpensive studio equipment and streaming changed the way music is made. For better or worse.

I think it will lead to shorter, more varied experiences where developers want to see how high engagement is before spending millions for portions of a game that 50% are not even going to see. With fixed game cost you kind of have to sell a game like "for your 60 dollars you get 40h of playtime" even if half the people don't finish that game, now on gamepass... why would anyone really care how long a game is etc. In and out. No filler. I hope it leads to this and not some new fucked up way of monetization.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I certainly like the advertising a lot more than sony's usual "gamer pride"... if put it nicely.

But I'm not interested in a new hardware for now especially with how I'm used to play on hybrid hardware and too many games to play already.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I've been with Xbox since the beginning. I'm with this plan too. I simply can't wait till they're firing on all cylinders next gen.

G Darksoul

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I don't either, I have been all over the map as well. I'm not talking about allegiance. There is major consolidation and change happening here that I haven't seen since Sega left hardware. I worry about the repercussions long term as the competitive status quo has been good for us the past two decades.

Hopefully Sony or Amazon or somebody can compete with this Gamepass strategy long term. Or maybe Sony doesn't need to. Maybe exclusives are strong enough to weather the storm.
MS can't buy up every studio and Sony can't compete on that, you also have no idea what else will happen, but what MS is doing NOW is shaking the industry up and that's a good thing for gamers.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
What other console in history has advertised itself as the "fastest" that you're referring to? A historical search for "fastest console" brings up this article from itportal, and they are clearly talking fastest in the literal sense. Loading times, dashboard, etc. So I have no idea of this history you speak of.
The power of a computer is literally determined by how fast it can do calculations. The faster it is, the more powerful it is. The literal definition of a teraflop is " a unit of computing speed equal to one million million floating-point operations per second. "
It's also the first time maybe in a long long time that I've seen a console manufacturer refer to "speed" of a console in its marketing. For the past decade plus, it was "most powerful". Xbox is putting "fastest" in marketing now because they know the PS5 has the substantially faster UX, and to be honest I don't blame them. Now is the time to do it.
Where have we seen the PS5 UX?

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's far too early to say that a subscription service is better (financially) for the less well off. Buying a machine with All - Access is more expensive than buying outright. Similar to buying a phone outright is more expensive than signing up to a "contract".

Encouraging folks to spend beyond their means (credit) is not inherently "better" for the consumer.

I think it's a really smart move by Microsoft, but when I read the cheerleading for "pro-consumer" moves I'm wondering if anyone writing them has ever had to juggle their finances around multiple standing orders for essentials/mortgages/rent/utilities & subs.

In some cases it can be pro-consumer, but to claim that it is always better for the consumer is naive.

As for the argument about if it will impact game design - of course it will - the business side of the equation always leaks into the creative side.

And one final thought - you don't need to mandate daily (24h) online check-ins (remember the start of last gen?) if all your games are only accessible via a subscription or are GaaS./MMO games, do you?

That always-online thing that Microsoft pushed (and got massive push back from last gen) - yeah that's gamepass now.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
why would any dispute that claim when it's a fact? The 'fastest' supercomputer in the world award is always given to the one that can carry out the most operations in a second. Same with consoles.

The power of a computer is literally determined by how fast it can do calculations. The faster it is, the more powerful it is. The literal definition of a teraflop is " a unit of computing speed equal to one million million floating-point operations per second. "

And yet the Xbox One X had the same advantages over the competition, but they never advertised it as the "Fastest Console," only the "Most Powerful." I'm just saying it's very interesting that the marketing begin with "Fastest Console" only when the speed of the PS5's SSD became a talking point.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
No, it's a win for people with budgets. Not for gamers. This shit is going to ruin the quality of games down the line. But at least budget gamers will be happy.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
People are dunking on that post, but I think it's sort of fascinating that it took ten posts and a marketing image to get someone so angry that they remade phrenology, but for gamers.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
And yet the Xbox One X had the same advantages over the competition, but they never advertised it as the "Fastest Console," only the "Most Powerful." I'm just saying it's very interesting that the marketing begin with "Fastest Console" only when the speed of the PS5's SSD became a talking point.
I think you're reading way too much into it.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I think this a good graphic for Xbox. Since this is a new gen, they want the general gaming audience to know what Game Pass encompasses in an single image. I've seen Xbox detail it, and media and insiders discuss it, but this is the best representation of it so far.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Correct, trojan horse was definitely the wrong word to use. I just don't think being able to purchase an actual license for the game will stay around much longer.
I don't think they'll disallow anyone from purchasing games, as there's still incentive on both sides to allow it. Microsoft unquestionably makes a lot of money from people purchasing games, and people who purchase games still benefit by being able to play them once they're delisted. That said, given some of the conversations around digital rights and the transfer of ownership of digital content, I could see the fact that most people will subscribe instead of purchase making the outcomes in those discussions much more palatable for the companies involved.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
People are dunking on that post, but I think it's sort of fascinating that it took ten posts and a marketing image to get someone so angry that they remade phrenology, but for gamers.

I mean the dude said people want to play elite Sony games after referring to the people piling on his posts as corporate shills lmao. Guess he didn't bother to look in the mirror. Fascinating and hilarious at the same time because I just don't see why people get this worked up over this shit. If you don't like gamepass then fine, but to come in here and post something like that in an attempt to spread FUD is ridiculous.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Gamers according to some people in this thread

rich-guy-cigar-money.jpg
There was like a very short window for me going from "poor college student" to "single w/good job" to "wife and kids."

But even when I was I was single with "money," I still didn't spend money like crazy on games. Always wanted the best value I could get.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Love it!

I just hope they ramp up the Play Anywhere usage among 3rd party devs as well, that's their best feature.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Wait if I spend $1.000+ on a PC and then just play with Game Pass, Am I part of the PC Master Race and can treat console gamers like peasants? Or am I a budget peasant that will hold back quality for the Elite Gamers ?

meenseen84

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
People really saying they have concerns about Game Pass quality diminishing because that is what happened to Netflix.

Netflix spent around 17 billion this year and had a record number of Emmy nominations with 160. They also have by far the largest 4K library.

I guess I don't get it

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

No. You said "some people may dispute that claim".
yet to see what the basis for any dissenting opinion would be.