• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1) 10
2) Standard
3) yes
4) neither, select uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 based on your setup
5) no Atmos support
6) no clue
7) should fix itself after a few hours of play

Thanks a bunch.

So for the audio, it seems I can only choose uncompressed 5.1 for the HDMI Audio option.

So am I better off connecting the console directly to my Home Theater?

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
LG OLED owners

One thing that has been bugging me.....why do we set color space to standard and not PC RGB

Does the OLED not do the full color space? I swear it goes 0-255 and not 16-235

Good question.. My B7 absolutely supports the full PC RGB range. I'll trying changing later tonight and see if it makes any difference.

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is xbox one x just play and play or do i have to mess with settings to optomize things?

I have an lg oled 65" 4k if that matters

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sea of Thieves at PC max settings and 4K is going to be mind blowing, hope they add it to the alpha build soon cant wait to try it.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a bunch.

So for the audio, it seems I can only choose uncompressed 5.1 for the HDMI Audio option.

As your receiver supports HDCP 2.2 you should absolutely connect to the receiver first. (as long as it supports HDR)

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Good question.. My B7 absolutely supports the full PC RGB range. I'll trying changing later tonight and see if it makes any difference.

On Xbox the gamma curve for the full range used to be messed up so blacks would be crushed. Not sure if it still is.

Beyond that though there is no reason to set it to full when using a TV. Limited ensures you still get correct video playback. And as long as your TV settings match games will be great too.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pl
So is xbox one x just play and play or do i have to mess with settings to optomize things?

I have an lg oled 65" 4k if that matters
plug and play honestly. It does help you mess around with the tv in the settings of the console. Once you set it up just make sure it automatically switched to displaying 4K because for some reason it started at 1080p for me until i loaded a game and it asked if i wanted to switch to a 4K output.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Talk about driving the point home: The half screen HDR/half screen no HDR feature in Gears 4 is genius.

Yeah, OK, my TV really DOES do HDR, got it. I finally fucking see the difference.

Wow.

That game is a stunner in 4k.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a bunch.

Yes. Everyrhing shoukd plug to AVR and AVR to TV.

If your AVR does Atmos you can just select butaream and Atmos and it will use 5.1 or 7.1 when no atmos

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On Xbox the gamma curve for the full range used to be messed up so blacks would be crushed. Not sure if it still is.

Beyond that though there is no reason to set it to full when using a TV. Limited ensures you still get correct video playback. And as long as your TV settings match games will be great too.

On the ps4 pro if I had it on limited it would set HDR colors wrong so I left it on automitic which used Full, on the xbox one x I see no difference between standard or pc mode ,even with HDR enabled, so I just left it on pc. LG E7 tv. The ps4 pro likes to use rgb full on automatic on my LG which gives crushed blacks, so when I play a non HDR game I just switch to limited.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got my Xbox One X set up. I bought ff15 real cheap despite having it for PS4 Pro. It is disgusting how good that game looks one the One X. WOW.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, biggest surprise so far is the visual difference between the base One and the X versions of Gears 4.

Un-freaking real.

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
Yeah. So, it was partially mitigated once I realized that my TV doesn't auto detect full / limited colour depth correctly when being fed 24hz content, which I was able to change, but it still isn't showing the correct black levels that I get from Netflix, or videogames or what have you. It's clearly an issue with the app, since the pop up menu shows something much closer to black when it overlays. I'm not surprised to hear that a fix is incoming.

I got the latest insider build and it does seem to be fixed.

SirVilhelm

Oct 27, 2017
1) 10
2) Standard
3) yes
5) no Atmos support
6) no clue

#7 is the first thing I noticed about the packed in controller. My A button sticks and it's driving me crazy. I've played on a dozen Xbox controllers including the elite and this is the first one with a sticky button. I was going to call support to replace it but it's the Scorpio edition and I know they wouldn't send me another one

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
X has brought out my graphics whore. Id been playing Overwatch non stop since it came out. Now I cant stop playing Halo 5 and Gears 5. Gears with HDR is particularly impressive. And Halo, its crazy what a difference just 4K makes. Looks like a different game. Now Overwatch almost looks SD to me lol.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
#7 is the first thing I noticed about the packed in controller. My A button sticks and it's driving me crazy. I've played on a dozen Xbox controllers including the elite and this is the first one with a sticky button. I was going to call support to replace it but it's the Scorpio edition and I know they wouldn't send me another one
I had this same issue they are sending me a Scorpio controller replacement. I'll give an update when it arrives to see if it is just a generic model or a scorpio edition (it does say scorpio on the order). You can also try to take a straw and cut up the ends so it fits around the button and move it around the button.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So for Bitstream format, should I choose DTS Digital Sound, or Dobly Digital?

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right left a bunch of stuff on background download, Halo finally finished. Looks a really nice upgrade even on a 1080p screen. Fingers crossed for no issues with it.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Alrighty, I managed to get an X and I am updating now.
I also got the LG UHD 4K Monitor. It is model # 27UD69P. Does anyone know how I should configure the settings? Little lost.

j0hnniX

Oct 25, 2017
GA
Just finished Gears 4 .. O M Gawd! What a Stunner.. Looks beautiful, plays great, I just love me some Gears, lol. Loading up Quantum Break now to play.. can't wait.. these games I held off on until the X released same for the Witcher 3 DLCs..

Sadly, I finished Halo 5 pre-X so I'm holding out to play it later but so far.. what a damn good purchase the X has been.. my first UHD player and movies look amazing.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
How large should my halo 5 install be? Kotaku says 107 gigs but my install shows 97 gigs. Is the save data it creates 10 gigs or something for forge?

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if this is interesting or useful to anyone, but I did a little more testing with the X1X tonight, focusing on power draw and noise. As with last night, I measured the output with the phone directly on top of the X1X, but separated by a 1/2 rubber pad to minimize vibrations. My tv is a Panasonic VT65 VT65 1080P plasma, so the X1X is down sampling for my purposes. Power draw was measured using a Kill A Watt P3.

Power draw at outlet, standby mode: 13 watts

Ambient room noise: 22-25db
As above, with X1X on at dash: 22-25db
As above, with WD 4GB My Passport Ultra plugged in: 24-27db
As above, with TV turned: on 24-27db
As above, power draw at outlet: 47 watts

Game observations:
COD WW2 averaged 29db with 156 watts measured at outlet (Stronghold mission)
Return of the Tomb Raider was 32db in performance mode (162 watts), and 33db average in enhanced mode (183 watts). I did not try 4k mode downsampled.
Wolfenstein II averaged 33db with 199 watts measured at outlet
FM7 averaged 32dB and 151 watts measured at outlet (4 lap race at Homestead, overcast turning to rain)
Titanfall 2 averaged 33dB and 173watts measured at outlet (post patch today)

Since Wolfenstein posted the highest decibel reading at 33, I measured it at my normal seating position 9' away, which yielded 23db; so in my case, the sound dropped off considerably.

Despite the fluctuations on the power draw between the different games, the sound at the console remained fairly consistent.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, biggest surprise so far is the visual difference between the base One and the X versions of Gears 4.

Un-freaking real.

Playing Gears and Tomb Raider in 1080/60 has been (Gaming) life changing.

As someone who still has a 1080 set, my One X is dead silent. Does pushing to 4K make the console work harder? I have a friend who claims his fans kick in when playing, but the console goes silent back at the dash.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
1) 10
2) Standard
3) yes
5) no Atmos support
6) no clue

Is it really better to pick 10 bit if your panel is 12 bit? I know Mindhunter on Netflix supports Dolby Vision so 10 bit wouldn't display the image accurately.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of this display, since I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I have the console connected via HDMI. The FreeSync is on Extended with Fast Response time. Super Resolution is High, Sharpness is 100.. I read places where some monitors have 4K disabled on certain ports. I just want to be sure my display is on the best settings.