The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
That HDR in Gears 4....Holy Shit. Even on performance mode the game looks a million times better then the peasant XB1 version. That is the way to play in my opinion

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The BF1 stuff being at pretty much locked 60 is nice. Still want a patch though.
Also the image is much cleaner as the dynamic resolution goes all the way up (but still limited).
Near the end of the video I let the camera being static on the point B, notice how the Xbox One version shifts resolution but Xbox One X stays at max resolution.

Oct 26, 2017
My TV has the firmware before the change to HDR gaming. I downgraded based on all the negative press it was getting, though I also read some reports that the change is fine as long as you switch on dynamic contrast.

I'm not sure what the overall opinion is on that anymore. I'd bite the bullet and test it myself, but not before I can downgrade the firmware back. The instructions on how to do so were lost with the previous TV thread, unfortunately, so I need that insurance policy in case I don't like it.

That's what I notice too: on games where Super Resolution makes a difference, it's a noticeably improved difference. One of the games I can state this with confidence is Infamous Second Son. On the games where it doesn't make a difference, it doesn't seem to make the picture worse either, so I see no reason not to have it on.

Doesn't it hit the input lag quite badly though?

Oct 26, 2017
For those who bought the Dolby Atmos stereo app, how are you plugging in your headphones? Directly into the controller or through a receiver?

Oct 26, 2017
Wew boy. Final Fantasy XV runs better than I expected. This patch is solid so far.

The comparison video showed a much bigger difference that I had expected. Always thought it was crisp on Pro but foliage is blurry compared to X actually and not only foliage. Overall really.

Seems like X really is the definitive version. Wish I could see some footage of a certain area with lots of trees and bushes that looked really damn good. It's near that house where the story also takes you to.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Also the image is much cleaner as the dynamic resolution goes all the way up (but still limited).
Near the end of the video I let the camera being static on the point B, notice how the Xbox One version shifts resolution but Xbox One X stays at max resolution.
That's good to hear. Thanks for checking.

Oct 26, 2017
I just tried it, bouncing between Off and High.

I honestly didn't notice a difference at all. If it's there I'm not feeling it.

Ok that's good then. But I've yet to see a game where I can see it. I mean Prey was blurry and on my 1080p OLED super resolution would help out greatly, not on my B6. Dunno why.

By the way, if I were to put TV resolution in the Xbox settings to 1080p even though I have a 4K tv, would that give me an indication of how the game would look on the standard Xbox One? Probably not because of the supersampling right? Soon I won't have the S anymore but sometimes I just like to make comparisons. Maybe if I disable the Allow 4k option too.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
For those who bought the Dolby Atmos stereo app, how are you plugging in your headphones? Directly into the controller or through a receiver?
I use an Astro mixamp, I just need to make sure the Dolby processing from the mixamp itself is turned off.

I've never tried just plugging into the controller with the Dolby Access app installed.

Nocchi

Oct 30, 2017
I wanted to try Assassin's Creed Origins, but wasn't sure if I wanted to spend my MS balance on it yet...but then I had a great idea. Duh, redbox. Let's give it a test run first ^_^

Padinn

Nov 4, 2017
Just beat Halo 5. Game looks fantastic on X.

Also - anyone get stuttering in menus in Forza 7, typically when a track is loading? I also noticed periodic stutters in Sunset Overdrive during initial phases. Hoping my HDD is okay.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
WW2 looks great but it seems to have some blur/focus issues on the cutscene and some other spots.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Will it even work with regular headphones through the controller? I am legit asking because if so I will check it out. I just was under the impression you needed dedicated headphones and could not do it through the controller.

Nocchi

Oct 30, 2017
I was noticing that Path of Exile is a XBX enhanced game. I briefly tried that game on PC around the time when it first came out; I thought it was pretty cool. Seemed like a good diablo style game, but free, and didn't have super intrusive upselling tactics. At least at the time I tried it. What's it like now? How's that game stack up these days?

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Will it even work with regular headphones through the controller? I am legit asking because if so I will check it out. I just was under the impression you needed dedicated headphones and could not do it through the controller.

Through the controller works and any stereo headphones will work although you'll want something with some decent drivers.

I use Sony golds plugged into the controller and it's awesome.

Oct 26, 2017

Back when they had just released Atmos I tried it out with my Stereo Turtle Beach Stealth 420x + headphones, since they said any pair would work. But it just sounded bad to me, way off. Tinny. And friends in my party sounded like they were sitting in a bathroom or something. Windows Sonic on the other hand sounds fine. I guess you really need a headphones that supports Atmos? Or just go for a real home cinema set.

Oct 26, 2017
Through the controller works and any stereo headphones will work although you'll want something with some decent drivers.

Mine are fully wireless. Could that be why Atmos sounded horrible for me a few months ago? I never managed to find out why the sound was so bad. Surround effect was fine but explosions and just bass in general was weak, overall sound was tinny.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
I've now talked to three people who have seen HDR first hand on the X or Pro and consider it a bigger game changer than things like the jump from 1080p to 4k, or the jump to high refresh rates (60+).

As a PC gamer this intrigues me. HDR still seems like a ways off on PC. Next year we will see the first real HDR displays, but they are going to cost like $1500-2K. Having never seen HDR I'm so tempted to grab an X and a suitable TV. You people in this thread are not helping!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok that's good then. But I've yet to see a game where I can see it. I mean Prey was blurry and on my 1080p OLED super resolution would help out greatly, not on my B6. Dunno why.

By the way, if I were to put TV resolution in the Xbox settings to 1080p even though I have a 4K tv, would that give me an indication of how the game would look on the standard Xbox One? Probably not because of the supersampling right? Soon I won't have the S anymore but sometimes I just like to make comparisons. Maybe if I disable the Allow 4k option too.

Infamous Second Son is a game where you'll definitely notice. It was the first game I tried it on, in fact.

Doesn't seem to affect 4K+HDR games much, from what I've seen.

And as I mentioned before, I really want to just try the current firmware of the E6 to see if the current HDR mode can be acceptable with dynamic contrast on. I just need to make sure there's a way to revert back when I'm done.

Nocchi

Oct 30, 2017
I've now talked to three people who have seen HDR first hand on the X or Pro and consider it a bigger game changer than things like the jump from 1080p to 4k, or the jump to high refresh rates (60+).

As a PC gamer this intrigues me. HDR still seems like a ways off on PC. Next year we will see the first real HDR displays, but they are going to cost like $1500-2K. Having never seen HDR I'm so tempted to grab an X and a suitable TV. You people in this thread are not helping!

What kind of games were you showing them HDR with? The only game that I've really played on my PS4 Pro up til now that impressed me with its HDR was The Last of Us, but admittedly a lot of the games I've played since I got my 4kTV did not support HDR.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is the Netflix app on the X? Is it as good as the included app on TVs like the LG OLEDs?

Oct 26, 2017
I use an Astro mixamp, I just need to make sure the Dolby processing from the mixamp itself is turned off.

I've never tried just plugging into the controller with the Dolby Access app installed.

Back when they had just released Atmos I tried it out with my Stereo Turtle Beach Stealth 420x + headphones, since they said any pair would work. But it just sounded bad to me, way off. Tinny. And friends in my party sounded like they were sitting in a bathroom or something. Windows Sonic on the other hand sounds fine. I guess you really need a headphones that supports Atmos? Or just go for a real home cinema set.

Mine are fully wireless. Could that be why Atmos sounded horrible for me a few months ago? I never managed to find out why the sound was so bad. Surround effect was fine but explosions and just bass in general was weak, overall sound was tinny.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 558s. It'll give the app a whirl try plugging them in both through the controller and through my receiver.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
What kind of games were you showing them HDR with? The only game that I've really played on my PS4 Pro up til now that impressed me with its HDR was The Last of Us, but admittedly a lot of the games I've played since I got my 4kTV did not support HDR.
I've never seen HDR in action. This is from talking to people who have seen it or who have an X and a capable TV.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not yet 100% convinced on HDR. For some games it's really nice but when I then disable HDR and check the same game it still looks quite fine. I used the option in Gears 4 to have one part of the screen in HDR and the part part SDR and the difference seemed subtle in Gears 4. Although I'm not sure if that comparison thingy is all that.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I wish the Youtube app would be better. The PS4 app is light years better as the One app and even got updated to a completely new version that the One still don't have and even before the PS4 app was better because you could scroll through your subscriptions very fast and 100% smooth, this exact same thing feels like slow motion on Xbox One, it is soooo slow. How can someone like freaking Youtube, from Google, has such a piece of shit as app on a Microsoft device?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Just beat Halo 5. Game looks fantastic on X.

Also - anyone get stuttering in menus in Forza 7, typically when a track is loading? I also noticed periodic stutters in Sunset Overdrive during initial phases. Hoping my HDD is okay.

Yeahz the performance in menus is a stutter feature even on PC. Mine also seems to take ages to load in the 1X.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the Youtube app would be better. The PS4 app is light years better as the One app and even got updated to a completely new version that the One still don't have and even before the PS4 app was better because you could scroll through your subscriptions very fast and 100% smooth, this exact same thing feels like slow motion on Xbox One, it is soooo slow. How can someone like freaking Youtube, from Google, has such a piece of shit as app on a Microsoft device?

try Mytube! it's 3rd party YouTube App and its way better with no ads and you can play audio in the background. I believe it supports 4k. It's $1 and ad free.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ebenezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm having a REALLY hard time enjoying most non enhanced games right now. Divinity Original Sin. I can see a difference because of texture filtering but the resolution and/or lack of AA is just eww when about a week ago I was fine with it. Sunset overdrive, same thing. Arkham City, same thing.

Some games like Doom look fantastic without X enhancements.

Anyone else feeling the same?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen HDR in action. This is from talking to people who have seen it or who have an X and a capable TV.

Do you have a newer Samsung or IPhone? Because those show HDR. You could watch an HDR video on one and experience it yourself that way. Granted screen would be small but You could get an idea of it.

HDR is certainly a nice feature but I don't consider it a "game changer" yet personally. Still some work needed to figure out the best way to implement it imo

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a REALLY hard time enjoying most non enhanced games right now. Divinity Original Sin. I can see a difference because of texture filtering but the resolution and/or lack of AA is just eww when about a week ago I was fine with it. Sunset overdrive, same thing. Arkham City, same thing.

Some games like Doom look fantastic without X enhancements.

Anyone else feeling the same?
Yeah, I tried Sunset Overdrive earlier and was like 'nope!'. So janky, I didn't last five minutes.

Oct 28, 2017

I said this last year, a lot, on another forum but nobody really paid attention.

After I got a One S and a Samsung KS8000, the few scattering of games that had HDR was simply night and day. It was a game changer for me. Even watching youtube videos with HDR enabled was mind boggling. It is THE game changing technology for visuals at the moment. Much more so than the jump from 1080p to 4k.

Nick Trovato

Oct 31, 2017
I said this last year, a lot, on another forum but nobody really paid attention.

After I got a One S and a Samsung KS8000, the few scattering of games that had HDR was simply night and day. It was a game changer for me. Even watching youtube videos with HDR enabled was mind boggling. It is THE game changing technology for visuals at the moment. Much more so than the jump from 1080p to 4k.

Agreed ... Night and Day difference when HDR is implemented properly