• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So many conflicting reports about noise levels. I think it's less about consoles being so different from each other and more about people having very different definitions of "whisper quiet". I can definitely hear my Xbox but I can also hear noise coming from xbox controller so yeah, I have very sensitive ears.

Its different opinions offcourse and people are at different positions from the console. So far the console for me has been quiet. I am 1 meter away from it. Its a constant laptop noise i would say.
Its doesnt go up or down for me. Its pretty consistent after how many hours. And i am only hearing the console if mute my screen really.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Diablo III wasn't exactly a game that looked or ran bad on XOne...
Other games went from ugly to stunning on X1X (FFXV for example).
Some games went from pixelated nightmares to smooth and art like (Halo 5)
Other games went from borderline unplayable in places to super smooth (Dark Souls 3).

The benefits to some games are much bigger than the benefits to Diablo 3, which was already great on XOne.

How are the frame rates in DS3?

Its different opinions offcourse and people are at different positions from the console. So far the console for me has been quiet. I am 1 meter away from it. Its a constant laptop noise i would say.
Its doesnt go up or down for me. Its pretty consistent after how many hours. And i am only hearing the console if mute my screen really.

Great way to phrase it.

Addikt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't seem to find the Visual/Performance toggle in gears 4. Am I missing something? According to the detailed info I have the "x" assets installed

It's only in the options menu that you access from the title screen. It can't be accessed once playing the campaign, exit to title screen and toggle it there.

CptPusheen

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even when running insects demo? Because this is currently the only app that can ramp up the fan in my Xbox. For the rest of my games it's much more calm but still audible

Oct 25, 2017
lol what in the actual fuck...

moved my Halo 5 to an external in preparation for the switch to the X, hook it up, move the installation onto my X's internal, then it's gone from my external, AND non-existent on my X...

go fuck yourself MS, downloading 100 gigs of stupid now.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Question our house has 2 cats and a Great Pyrenees dog who is a shedding machine. We vacuum pretty much every day but you will still see some fur here and there. Better for my one x vertical on top of my cabinet where hair etc can be an issue or inside the cabinet which is tighter but only has the door open while playing where heat could be an issue?

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, Diablo III wasn't exactly a game that looked or ran bad on XOne...
Other games went from ugly to stunning on X1X (FFXV for example).
Some games went from pixelated nightmares to smooth and art like (Halo 5)
Other games went from borderline unplayable in places to super smooth (Dark Souls 3).

The benefits to some games are much bigger than the benefits to Diablo 3, which was already great on XOne.
I suppose that's fair. I haven't been keeping up with how a lot of games have benefited from the upgrade. I have been playing just about all my games on PS4, so I haven't been aware of how stuff like Dark Souls 3 ran on the X1. I only bought my X1 for stuff like Gears, KI, and Halo. Those of course are looking great on the X1X, but when I looked into a few of my PS4 games to see how they ran on X1X and if I should sell my PS4 versions and swap over, I didn't see enough there to make it worth the time or money.

I still think that poster would get more out of buying extra games instead of the hardware though.

Addikt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I sit about 3m away and use Dolby Atmos on reasonably loud and I can still hear my Xbox revving up and down with a faint whistling which is very annoying. I am returning mine for a replacement when the retailer receives some new stock. My noise is definitely not normal and my partner even commented on it without me even bringing it up with her. I also had a friend come around and 5 minutes into the game he stated something was wrong with my Xbox. This is not a case of different opinions, this is a case of hardware failure rate. There are definitely people out there with issues.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question our house has 2 cats and a Great Pyrenees dog who is a shedding machine. We vacuum pretty much every day but you will still see some fur here and there. Better for my one x vertical on top of my cabinet where hair etc can be an issue or inside the cabinet which is tighter but only has the door open while playing where heat could be an issue?
As long as you keep that door open while you play, it'll be fine inside the cabinet. Digital Foundry tested that in their X1X breakdown and it did just fine inside of their media cabinet.

Oct 31, 2017
PSA: To anyone experiencing issues with sound while machine is off.

If you turn off "instant-on"

You no longer have that annoying sound, that seemed to work for me.

I didn't have this issue on S model but yeah

I was about to return this shit until I found this out.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
I call BS on silent system . When theird no noise I can hear the fan. Its low sounding but you can hear it.

But when any game volune is going you cant hear a thing

Oct 25, 2017
So many conflicting reports about noise levels. I think it's less about consoles being so different from each other and more about people having very different definitions of "whisper quiet". I can definitely hear my Xbox but I can also hear noise coming from xbox controller so yeah, I have very sensitive ears.
Might also be a question of frequency rather than decibels. Could be hearing noise some people simply can't register at their age or with their hearing.

Plus there's the question of if you're putting your XB1 in a well-ventilated area or isolated from your playspace, etc.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Played some QB, Forza 7, Gears 4 and Halo 5. It's interesting to see how different games deal with the 1X in different ways. Forza is damn stunning but a little sterile for my tastes, Gears looks really gritty and chaotic, which is awesome fun. Just a shame about the splitscreen. QB is an interesting one because there a graphical issues going on but the gameplay is solid. Halo 5 is what I have played before but the extra polish and iq is nice to see.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017

Mine is quieter than my OG Xbox One, but the same as my S maybe slightly louder.

Also do you/anyone know what causes that buzzing sound in the controller?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Deleted images for quote

Try a certified 4k HDMI cable, a short one (under 6 feet). Somewhere in that chain you may have a wrong spec hdmi cable. My One S was troublesome like this until using only the included xbox hdmi (to switcher/receiver) and the output hdmi from switcher/receiver had to be changed to a certified 4K cable.

Meanwhile my ps4 pro worked with 4k on any cable (yuv420).

Strange is isn't it.
Extremely strange. I got it to work, Xbox->AVR->TV, by swapping cable, identical cables and length, just a different one between the Xbox and AVR.
Seriously. Lots of people must have problems like this or don't even bother checking if they're truly getting 4K and HDR.

Anyhow... Some impressions:

I've been playing Forza 7 and Gears 4. 4K is awesome but by far the best thing for me is HDR. You really can't understand how awesome this is before trying it, no trailer or screenshot can show it on a regular screen. I drove off the track sooo many times just because I was staring at the sun shining through the clouds in Forza lol ;D
Texture resolution is crazy cool too. I didn't think I would be this impressed tbh, I've already played half through Forza and I was still saying wow out loud like 20 times during a 1 lap Nordschleife race! Holy crap this game is pretty!

Gears 4 explosions are fantastic in HDR too! Love it! :)

But...

I'm super disappointed at the noise when playing UHD Blurays! :( To be honest, this thing is basically unusable for me coming from using a dedicated Blurbay player, it's just way too loud. I'll be searching for a standalone UHD player now, Xbox One X is not a replacement for this imo.

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I played a few games since the last 48 hours and my console is quiet, dead quiet. Only if you let a game be in pause mode, every 3-5 minutes it does a very soft fan sound for 3 seconds to let the hot air out, that's it, rest, dead silent. If you hear something it's probably the disc drive.

Also, just wow:

OytoLJY.png

Anyone tested Mirrors Edge from 2008? I heard it even got HDR.

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
lol what in the actual fuck...

moved my Halo 5 to an external in preparation for the switch to the X, hook it up, move the installation onto my X's internal, then it's gone from my external, AND non-existent on my X...

go fuck yourself MS, downloading 100 gigs of stupid now.

Try a hard reset before you download everything again

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Mine is quieter than my OG Xbox One, but the same as my S maybe slightly louder.

Also do you/anyone know what causes that buzzing sound in the controller?

Digital foundry said there's was louder than the original as it's one of the quietest consoles they've ever owned. Ether your OG Xbox was defective, your new console doesn't vent like it should with the fans or you had hearing loss in the last 3 or so years lol

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Playing banner saga 2 , the fans haveny kicked on and its real quiet. A slight whirring sound like a laptop

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, Dark Souls 3 is mostly 60 FPS? Hm.

Oh shit. My bad.
I was talking Diablo III. The original person I was responding to was touting Diablo III and that was on my mind.

No, Dark Souls 3 does not run 60FPS on X1X, but it's a MUCH more stable frame rate than it was on XOne... I didn't see any noticible drops below 30FPS in my testing, but then again, I'm not Digital Foundry...

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone saying this is quieter than an OG Xbox One needs to go see a doctor. That's straight up impossible simply because of the design. A large fan spinning at low RPM will always produce less sound than whatever is inside the X.

Now if you insist on it your OG was defective or you mean the small annoying 60mm fan in the power brick. Which was easily eliminated by removing it as it wasn't necessary. The OG One is without a doubt the quieter than both a S or X.

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How are the frame rates in DS3?

Great way to phrase it.
It totally matches the kind of cooling MS choosed

The spiral fan is the same kind of fan you would find in a ultrabook together with the vapor chamber. Good ear there

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a funny story for you:

I love my Pro, I think it's a great console for what it does and Sony exclusives are cool as fuck. However, I hate loud consoles to dead. I'd say they are my biggest nemesis. I can't remember if my original PS4 was loud at the beginning, but it became loud after 3 years of use. I've had the Pro for a year and I got into the PlayStation ecosystem because the PS4 had the best looking games, both first and third party. I was against buying the Xbox One X because I don't like Microsoft games at all. Yet, all I've been thinking about these days is 2 things:

* I bought my PS4 because I mainly play third party games and it was the best place to play them. Now that the X is the best place to play, it seems logical to follow thru and go with it.

*My Pro is loud with Pro patched games. It gets hairdryer levels of loud with COD WW2 and Wolfenstein. I've tried using headphones but I don't like it. It has got to a point were I don't want to play because it gets too loud. Whenever I buy a game, all I think about is "gee, I bet this motherfucker is gonna be loud"

It is because of those reasons that I have concluded that I'll buy an X. We already have an Xbox One at home (that VCR looking thing) and even if I don't like many things about it, I appreciate how whisper quiet it is. I won't sell the Pro tho, as I really want to play all those exclusives coming down the road (also because I want my nephew to have all my consoles when I die) I'm a sucker for Japanese games so an Xbox only life seems impossible to me.

I don't know how much is left of this gen, and I'll probably get fucking pissed off if new consoles come out in 3 years time. However, I'll try to enjoy all those years we have left. Fingers crossed that I actually get a quiet unit and not a defective one. Fingers fucking crossed.

(Now I reaaally regret giving my 360 collection to my ex-gf. I had a 100 games collection lol)

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a funny story for you:

I love my Pro, I think it's a great console for what it does and Sony exclusives are cool as fuck. However, I hate loud consoles to dead. I'd say they are my biggest nemesis. I can't remember if my original PS4 was loud at the beginning, but it became loud after 3 years of use. I've had the Pro for a year and I got into the PlayStation ecosystem because the PS4 had the best looking games, both first and third party. I was against buying the Xbox One X because I don't like Microsoft games at all. Yet, all I've been thinking about these days is 2 things:

* I bought my PS4 because I mainly play third party games and it was the best place to play them. Now that the X is the best play, it seems logical to follow thru and go with it.

*My Pro is loud with Pro patched games. It gets hairdryer levels of loud with COD WW2 and Wolfenstein. I've tried using headphones but I don't like it. It has got to a point were I don't want to play because it gets too loud. Whenever I buy I game, all I think about is "gee, I bet this motherfucker is gonna be loud"

It is because of those reasons that I have concluded that I'll buy an X. We already have an Xbox One at home (that VCR looking thing) and even if I don't like many things about it, I appreciate how whisper quiet it is. I won't sell the Pro tho, as I really want to play all those exclusives coming down the road. I'm a sucker for Japanese games so an Xbox only left seems impossible to me.

I don't know how much is left of this gen, and I'll probably get fucking pissed off if new consoles come out in 3 years time. However, I'll try to enjoy all those years we have left. Fingers crossed that I actually get a quiet unit and not a defective one. Fingers fucking crossed.

(Now I reaaally regret giving my 360 collection to my ex-gf. I had a 100 games collection lol)

Here's how I've rationalized it.

I started this generation with a PS4. I then got an XB1 and spent a lot of time with EA Access, backwards compat, etc., so much so that it became my console. Over the summer, I purchased a Pro to have the best possible Sony experience, and just in case I didn't like what the X had to offer.

Perhaps most importantly, however, I have a group of friends on XB and a group of friends on PS4. So if one group is all in on a multi-console multiplayer game, I'll grab it for whatever console group is gonna play it (e.g., Destiny 2 on PS4, Siege on XB1). Exclusives are obvious allocated according to whatever console has them

For every other multi-console release, though? X gonna give it to ya.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
Digital foundry said there's was louder than the original as it's one of the quietest consoles they've ever owned. Ether your OG Xbox was defective, your new console doesn't vent like it should with the fans or you had hearing loss in the last 3 or so years lol

Yeah, my OG Xbox was defective. The Disk Drive, Wi-fi were at the point of dying before I got the X the fan and my god the power brick were loud ( I hate power bricks)! It didn't used to be that loud though, I can't really remember how quiet it used to be because it being dying of the course of the last year (started about 11-12 months ago).

So I had to use it up until I got my X as I traded in my S a while ago. My X only seems to slightly louder than the S under full load. I can only just hear it when it's idle or playing a non-enhanced game. I should also add that my console is only an arms length away. (I sit at a desk to play).

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Guys, i need help.

Somehow the console don't recognize that I have Xbox Live Gold.
Used a 2 Weeks code, couldn't play online games and still had the banner "get gold" when i press the Xbox button.
I said f'it now and bought 1 months gold but still the same, banner, can't play online games. Already restarted the console.

What the heck? If i press on the 4 games per months commercial and then on get gold again it shows me i have gold but still can't play online.

Don't I have a logo somewhere as a confirmation like on the 360?

Edit: Ok restarted everything, now it seems to work. Still have commercials.

This whole system so wobbly and janky on every corner, like a self build PC with self build beta OS. Not what i know from Playstation.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Bed time over here. This evening started with lots of issues fir me but still ended on a high note because of Forza and Gears. Didn't think HDR abd texture resolution would do that much.

Tomorrow I'll try Assassin's Creed and FFXV. :)

And it really feels like a premium console, the weight, compactness and angular design makes it feel much less like a toy compared to other consoles.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Does anyone else have sound issues? I played Dishonored 2, Witcher 3 and Gears 3 so far and dialogues sound like 128kbps mp3s....

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyones TV have a black screen and green flash when starting up a HDR game?? But AVR says resolution error for 2 seconds then its fine.

Not sure if the S did that when booting HDR

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Finally getting to look at some actual X enhanced titles. Tomb Raider looks super pretty. From my couch on my 58 inch screen, enhanced's IQ is on par with the native 4K, with clearly improved shadows and geometry detail, so enhanced is the way to go. 60 FPS may tempt me, but I'll wait to see if it locks to 60 fps or not. I should probably jump ahead to geothermal valley and see for myself. Forza 7 is just absurdly pretty, obviously. Trying Quantum Break now, which I know won't be... but I may as well check it out.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, i cant hear it, it just sits there quietly.