• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I did not own an Xbox One so I'm a little clueless about the going on's? Can anyone take a minute and answer these questions for me?

1. What native Xbox Series X titles will be available on Gamepass at launch? What Xbox Series X enhanced titles will be available at launch?

2. I want to eventually have 4 controllers for local co-op. I know there is backwards compatibility with the Xbox One controllers. Is there any advantage to the Xbox Series S/X controllers? Will Xbox One play & charge kits work with the Series S/X?

3. I hear EA play is going to be included in Gamepass. Is the included library of games visible from within the Game Pass app or is it in a separate app?

4. How long do Gamepass titles typically stay in the library?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
5. What happens when a Gamepass game leaves the library? Do you still get to keep it, like PS Plus? Or does it deactivate?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
5. What happens when a Gamepass game leaves the library? Do you still get to keep it, like PS Plus? Or does it deactivate?
You can't play it anymore. But they do appear in a "leaving soon" category so it's not a surprise when they leave (and you can buy them with the usual GP discount)

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I did not own an Xbox One so I'm a little clueless about the going on's? Can anyone take a minute and answer these questions for me?

1. What native Xbox Series X titles will be available on Gamepass at launch? What Xbox Series X enhanced titles will be available at launch?

2. I want to eventually have 4 controllers for local co-op. I know there is backwards compatibility with the Xbox One controllers. Is there any advantage to the Xbox Series S/X controllers? Will Xbox One play & charge kits work with the Series S/X?

3. I hear EA play is going to be included in Gamepass. Is the included library of games visible from within the Game Pass app or is it in a separate app?

2. All controllers. No benefit to new controllers except the new share button, which is not terribly important. Play and charge kits should work fine on all.
3. It won't be a thing until later this year, but safe to say it will still be a separate app. I think you can still subscribe to EA Play on its own, so they wouldn't fold them in.
4. it honestly varies. Sometimes about three months, some have been there for well over a year. First party titles will obviously never leave.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. If you mean XSX exclusive (not available on any other Xbox or PS platforms), none. For enhanced titles lots. Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 first party, Ass Creed, Watch Dogs, Yakuza 7, and more third party. google it.
2. All controllers. No benefit to new controllers except the new share button, which is not terribly important. Play and charge kits should work fine on all.
3. It won't be a thing until later this year, but safe to say it will still be a separate app. I think you can still subscribe to EA Play on its own, so they wouldn't fold them in.
4. it honestly varies. Sometimes about three months, some have been there for well over a year. First party titles will obviously never leave.

Wait Yakuza: LaD is gonna be on Game Pass day one?

Oct 27, 2017
Is the discount a fixed percentage off?
Yes, the percentage varies depending on how long after release it is:

www.xbox.com

Xbox Game Pass Games Library | Xbox

Explore the Game Pass library and play hundreds of games.
Between 31 and 90 days from a game's launch date, members receive up to a 10% discount off the Microsoft Store price. After 90 days from a game's launch date, members receive up to a 20% discount.

Ehh. Can you even buy games on Xcloud? I'm trying to understand if it would feasible to be an Xcloud only player.

I don't think that's an option right now. You just get access to whatever is on the xcloud library.

Maybe later on they'll do that, probably when there's a significant xcloud playerbase.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Ehh. Can you even buy games on Xcloud? I'm trying to understand if it would feasible to be an Xcloud only player.
I don't think so. Pretty sure Xcloud is only game pass games. You can also stream games you own from your console to your phone/tablet, but that requires a console.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yes, the percentage varies depending on how long after release it is:

www.xbox.com

Xbox Game Pass Games Library | Xbox

Explore the Game Pass library and play hundreds of games.

I don't think that's an option right now. You just get access to whatever is on the xcloud library.

Maybe later on they'll do that, probably when there's a significant xcloud playerbase.
I don't think so. Pretty sure Xcloud is only game pass games. You can also stream games you own from your console to your phone/tablet, but that requires a console.

Good info, thanks. Not pulling any triggers until Starfield, so I will wait and see how this shakes out.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017

1. The Medium is the only native Xbox Series X launch game I'm aware of that will be on GamePass. Microsoft has announced Xbox Series X enhancements for several first-party games, including Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, and Sea of Thieves. I don't know if their enhancements will be available on day one, though. Destiny 2: Beyond Light should be available at launch and Bungie has announced that it will run at 60 FPS on Xbox Series X.

2. Aside from some ergonomic tweaks, the only functionally difference between Xbox Series controller and Xbox One controllers is the share button. I doubt Play and Charge kits will be compatible across them.

3. We don't know. The best guess is that EA Play will be a separate app.

4. A while. Not a lot of games have left so far. First-party games should be up there forever.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

So Sony's analog to Game Pass is PS Now and it works similarly to that in that when a game leaves GamePass you don't have access to it. Xbox Live Gold (their online play subscription) is like PS+ in that you get some free games every month but you lose access to those games if your sub lapses (though you regain access to them if you resub).

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

xCloud is currently more of an additional perk than anything else. If you only want it to experience MS first party games then you would probably be covered but still probably wouldn't recommend going that route.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think the old play and charge kits should work on the new controller but you'll need a usb c cable to charge them

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

I don't know if this means EXCLUSIVE XSX titles or just Native XSX titles... so here's a list of the launch lineup right now:

I missread the gamepass part. Ignore the below quote. This is Launch Games

Xbox Series X Launch Games

Here's Eurogames list of gamepass titles at launch AND future confirmed right now:
Xbox Game Pass games list: September 2020 games plus every game currently available for Xbox consoles • Eurogamer.net
Upcoming Xbox Game Pass games coming in 2020 and beyond
Though Microsoft announces most Xbox Game Pass games close to their release - often around a week before they arrive - with all Xbox Studio Games titles, Bethesda and Zenimax games as well as EA Play titles coming to the service from day one, we have an idea of some games coming ahead of time...

Confirmed upcoming Xbox Game Pass games due 2020:

• Destiny 2 expansion Beyond Light (November 10th, 2020)
  • Dragon Quest XI S (December 4th, 2020)
  • Tetris Effect: Connected (November 10th, 2020)
  • The Medium (PC and Xbox Series X, release 2020)
  • Call of the Sea (2020)
Confirmed upcoming Xbox Game Pass games due 2021:

• Halo Infinite (2021)
  • Psychonauts 2 (2021)
  • The Gunk (Xbox One, Xbox Series X and PC, coming September 2021)

Confirmed upcoming Xbox Game Pass games with no release date:

• As Dusk Falls (Xbox Series X and PC, release timing TBC)
  • Avowed (Xbox Series X and PC, release timing TBC)
  • Elder Scrolls 6 (Xbox Series X and PC, release timing TBC)
  • Everwild (Xbox Series X and PC, release timing TBC)
  • Fable (Xbox Series X and PC, release timing TBC)
  • Forza Motorsport (Xbox Series X and PC, release timing TBC)
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator (PC release August 18th, 2020, Xbox release TBC)
  • State of Decay 3 (Xbox Series X and PC, release timing TBC)
  • Scorn (Xbox Series X, release TBA)
  • Senua's Saga: Hellblade II (Xbox Series X, Xbox One, release TBC)
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 (Xbox Series X and PC, release timing TBC)
  • Starfield (Xbox Series X and PC, release timing TBC)
  • Warhammer 40,000: Darktide (Xbox Series X and PC, release TBC)

Everything on gamepass not on this list would be first party games, like:

Gears 5
Gears Tactics
Forza Horizon 4
( /\ we know these are getting next gen enhancements)
Halo MCC
etc...

Last edited:

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Actually I have a question about Game Pass currently that might apply to Series X as well: Looking at my list of installed games, how can I tell if a game has left Game Pass? Ex. Yooka-Laylee is leaving at the end of the month, and I assume the Game Pass tag will be removed from the tile. Would the only way to know is to try and launch it afterwards?

TigerPhin

Oct 28, 2017
I have a launch XB1 and am getting a series x. Do we know if i will be able to move game downloads across my network or just an ethernet cable to avoid redownloading them?

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Does de Xbox Seres S/X OS recognize them as different consoles or are they in the same family of devices as the One X/One S/One when choosing your primary console?

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Actually I have a question about Game Pass currently that might apply to Series X as well: Looking at my list of installed games, how can I tell if a game has left Game Pass? Ex. Yooka-Laylee is leaving at the end of the month, and I assume the Game Pass tag will be removed from the tile. Would the only way to know is to try and launch it afterwards?
I think so yeah, if there's no game pass tag on it then launch it and see.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this means EXCLUSIVE XSX titles or just Native XSX titles... so here's a list of the launch lineup right now:

I missread the gamepass part. Ignore the below quote. This is Launch Games

Fairly sure this list is somewhat unreliable because at least with Everwild, I read somewhere that they're not even 100% sure what the actual gameplay is going to be yet.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

1) This I do not know.

2) Yes the Play & Charge kits will work, the battery structure is not changing on the Series S/X iteration of the controller. New to the Series S/X iteration of the controller: dedicated Share button (Share was available on Xbox one in the Guide menu but didn't have a dedicated button before); new hybrid d-pad; slightly altered ergonomics for comfort while maintaining very similar silhouette. All of the other features remain the same. For what it's worth, I recommend rechargeable AA batteries over the Play & Charge kit, as speaking anecdotally, I have had quality and durability issues with Microsoft's play & charge offerings since the 360 days — I did own 2 Xbox One specific P&C kits that failed on me within a year as well. My Eneloops also last, by no exaggeration, 2x longer than my P&C kits did on a full charge (40-50 hours on Eneloops vs 20-25 on P&C kit).

3) It is currently a separate app and I imagine it will remain a separate app as it is being advertised as a separate service and not necessarily a library merger. It will simply have its subscription cost covered by an active Game Pass subscription.

4) It really varies per-title and whatever unspoken agreement Microsoft makes with publishers. They do list in a "Leaving Soon" section quite a ways ahead of their departure from the service — as another user said, you will have plenty of heads up that it's leaving if you check back with Game Pass somewhat regularly.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I don't think Yakuza LAD is going to be on game pass day 1.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Titles such as Gears 5, Sea of Thieves and Forza Horizon 4 will get extra enhancements. Other titles will receive enhancements due to backwards compatibility.

All your controllers from Xbox One (besides Kinect) should work. Xbox One play & charge kits work with the Series X|S.

Probably a different app. But it hasn't been added yet. ''This holiday''

This really depends. Microsoft titles usually stay forever. Most other titles stay for 6-12 months, but there have been games that have been on the service for longer. And there are also some games that have a very short stay such as GTA 5 and RDR2, which were on the service for 3-4 months.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018

All your controllers from Xbox One (besides Kinect) should work. Xbox One play & charge kits work with the Series X|S.

I don't think Xbox One Play & Charge kits will work. The battery itself might, but the new controllers are USB-C, while the Xbox One controllers are micro USB.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A couple of notes: EA Play is (going to be) included with Game Pass Ultimate, and not the regular Game Pass for Xbox. It's been a while since I've subscribed to (what was then) EA Access, but I recall that I could download the games from the Full Library menu and bypass having to use the specific app.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017

I don't think either of these are correct.

Aren't the new controllers usb-c? If so then the play and charge kits won't work.

And theres no reason to think EA Play will be a seperate app as it's now just a part of Gamepass. I'm sure you'll be to select EA Play as a category, but it would go against what Gamepass is to have a completely seperate app. Also if it were seperate how you access it via Xcloud. The games will almost certainly be folded into GP.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think either of these are correct.

Aren't the new controllers usb-c? If so then the play and charge kits won't work.

And theres no reason to think EA Play will be a seperate app as it's now just a part of Gamepass. I'm sure you'll be to select EA Play as a category, but it would go against what Gamepass is to have a completely seperate app. Also if it were seperate how you access it via Xcloud. The games will almost certainly be folded into GP.
Oh good call with play and charge. The battery might work, but you'd need a new cable at least. Or maybe neither will be compatible.

Yeah I suppose that's possible with EA Play, we don't know either way yet. I hope you're right, I'd prefer all of them are just on the same page

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Xbox One Play & Charge kits will work. The battery itself might, but the new controllers are USB-C, while the Xbox One controllers are micro USB.
Oh good call with play and charge. The battery might work, but you'd need a new cable at least. Or maybe neither will be compatible.

Yeah I suppose that's possible with EA Play, we don't know either way yet. I hope you're right, I'd prefer all of them are just on the same page
For usb you can buy adapters from micro USB to USB-C for a few cents.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Series S question. I understand next gen games target 1440p. But how about current gen games? Will those match the Xbox One X at 4k 60fps HDR?

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally looking forward to gears 5 on series x enhanced because I haven't sniffed this series since gears 3. Been hearing good things

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I have a Series S question. I understand next gen games target 1440p. But how about current gen games? Will those match the Xbox One X at 4k 60fps HDR?

No. You could see improved framerates and performance from Xbox One S, but you won't see the same enhancements we saw on Xbox One X. No 4k.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
Don't know if this has been said for question 1 but The Medium is a series X and S exclusive.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
If I understood it correctly the Xbox Series S will play Xbox One S games but not One X titles

this isn't true

the series s will play every single xbox one game

what the series s won't do is play the xbox one games to the xbox one x 'enhanced' quality (4K/60)

what microsoft have confirmed is that the series s will play xbox one games to an enhanced series s quality (1440p/60)

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
1. The Medium is the only native Xbox Series X launch game I'm aware of that will be on GamePass. Microsoft has announced Xbox Series X enhancements for several first-party games, including Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, and Sea of Thieves. I don't know if their enhancements will be available on day one, though. Destiny 2: Beyond Light should be available at launch and Bungie has announced that it will run at 60 FPS on Xbox Series X.

So we Xbox One owners who use Game Pass will not be able to play The Medium, right? Will there be separate titles on Game Pass playable on either Xbox One, Series X/S and both? I find all this a bit confusing.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
this isn't true

what the series s won't do is play the xbox one games to the xbox one x 'enhanced' quality (4K/60)

what microsoft have confirmed is that the series s will play xbox one games to an enhanced series s quality (1440p/60)

I assume what this essentially means is no 900p games?

Like I'd be more than happy with 1440p Witcher 3 whenever that update lands, but not 900p Witcher 3.

Also I have another question as another potential Xbox newbie - how "essential" would Xbox Live be to me as someone who doesn't play online games much at all? Is it required for the likes of PSO2? It seems like it's basically required for sales, too.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
this isn't true

Sorry, that was what I meant