• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Series S question. I understand next gen games target 1440p. But how about current gen games? Will those match the Xbox One X at 4k 60fps HDR?
Edit: The One S can render 4K if developers choose to do so, but it targets 1440p. BC games will run at the targeted resolution, and upscale to 4K using their AI technique if you have a 4K TV. Overall, the Series S is more powerful than the One S but concentrates its resources on other areas, not res.
So we Xbox One owners who use Game Pass will not be able to play The Medium, right? Will there be separate titles on Game Pass playable on either Xbox One, Series X/S and both? I find all this a bit confusing.
The Medium is for Series X|S and PC. It will be on Game Pass, but only playable on those platforms (and maybe through xCloud on Android, but we don't know yet if it'll support it). You can only play Game Pass titles if they're supported by your system. That means:

- Game Pass for PC: only PC games available
- Game Pass for Xbox One: any Xbox One games available, as well as any OG Xbox and Xbox 360 available through BC
- Game Pass for Xbox Series X|S: any Xbox Series X|S games available, as well as any OG Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One available through BC
- xCloud: only xCloud supported games, and only on Android. Requires Game Pass Ultimate

Last edited:

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
I assume what this essentially means is no 900p games?

Like I'd be more than happy with 1440p Witcher 3 whenever that update lands, but not 900p Witcher 3.

Also I have another question as another potential Xbox newbie - how "essential" would Xbox Live be to me as someone who doesn't play online games much at all? Is it required for the likes of PSO2? It seems like it's basically required for sales, too.

the series s will auto enhance the witcher 3 to 1440p/60

in terms of actual enhanced assets / textures / lighting, etc... that will be a studio choice

so if you load up a vanilla copy of the withcher 3 on a series s it will be presented to you at 1440p/60 (or, i suppose, as best as the console can)

in terms of xbox live gold, it's not quite as significant anymore as the overall majority of people just sign up for game pass ultimate... which includes the gold subscription

is gold important? yeah... xbox is a bit more stingy then sony in terms of what you can play with or without gold (admittedly ps+ handles that better)

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
this isn't true

the series s will play every single xbox one game

what the series s won't do is play the xbox one games to the xbox one x 'enhanced' quality (4K/60)

what microsoft have confirmed is that the series s will play xbox one games to an enhanced series s quality (1440p/60)
The series s will not automatically run a game at 1440p/60 unless the Xbo s version already could.

I assume what this essentially means is no 900p games?

Like I'd be more than happy with 1440p Witcher 3 whenever that update lands, but not 900p Witcher 3.

Also I have another question as another potential Xbox newbie - how "essential" would Xbox Live be to me as someone who doesn't play online games much at all? Is it required for the likes of PSO2? It seems like it's basically required for sales, too.
Unless updated games will still run at whatever their original limits were. W3 is getting an update at some point but tekken will still be 900p.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The series s will not automatically run a game at 1440p/60 unless the Xbo s version already could.

Unless updated games will still run at whatever their original limits were. W3 is getting an update at some point but tekken will still be 900p.
Games need to be tested, but Microsoft can indeed do this without touching the code. The quote is from Xbox One X and they talked about having improved the Heutchy Method for Series.
Halo 3 compared between original hardware, X-enhanced back-compat and the Master Chief Collection. The original game actually ran at 640p, and the 3x3 resolution boost on X gives us a native 1920p resolution there.
The results are extraordinary, utilising what's called the Heutchy Method, a technology designed by Microsoft Software Development Engineer Eric Heutchy.

"When the game renders to its original render target, our virtual 360 GPU recognises the dimensions and scales up the render target, so then we have effectively a high resolution copy of the asset stashed in Xbox One memory," explains Bill Stillwell.
www.eurogamer.net

Xbox One backwards compatibility: how does it actually work?

One of the most memorable of E3 reveals also happens to be one of the greatest technological achievements of the curren…

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
the series s will auto enhance the witcher 3 to 1440p/60

in terms of actual enhanced assets / textures / lighting, etc... that will be a studio choice

so if you load up a vanilla copy of the withcher 3 on a series s it will be presented to you at 1440p/60 (or, i suppose, as best as the console can)

in terms of xbox live gold, it's not quite as significant anymore as the overall majority of people just sign up for game pass ultimate... which includes the gold subscription

is gold important? yeah... xbox is a bit more stingy then sony in terms of what you can play with or without gold (admittedly ps+ handles that better)

Ok, I guess I'll get Game Pass Ultimate then!

Here's hoping devs push out a fair number of Series S updates

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Not all games work, but Microsoft can indeed do this without touching the code. The quote is from Xbox One X and they talked about having improved the Heutchy Method for Series.

www.eurogamer.net

Xbox One backwards compatibility: how does it actually work?

One of the most memorable of E3 reveals also happens to be one of the greatest technological achievements of the curren…
That is only applicable to Xbox and 360 games. For Xbo games they will need code updates. MS has talked about enhancing some themselves but it will only be a select few. Otherwise the only improvements will be hdr, better loads, and maxing whatever specs the Xbo version was coded with.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
MĂ©xico
The One S will never render games at 4K. It can upscale to 4K through their AI techniques if you have a 4K TV, but not render. The maximum native resolution it supports is 1440p. But it is overall more powerful than the One X, so if you have a game that isn't stable at 60 fps on the One X, it can be on the One S, just at 1440p or less (and upscaled from whatever resolution to 4K depending on your TV).

That's not true at all, if the developer want, it can render at 4K.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That is only applicable to Xbox and 360 games. For Xbo games they will need code updates. MS has talked about enhancing some themselves but it will only be a select few. Otherwise the only improvements will be hdr, better loads, and maxing whatever specs the Xbo version was coded with.
Nope. Series use their full power of the consoles and they only need to update BC games with mostly 3 lines of code, if they want to enable double the framerate. But the Heutchy Method, which is responsible for the resolution doesn't need code changes.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
anyone else have the Turtle Beach Stealth 600x Gen 2 wireless headset?

www.turtlebeach.com

Stealth 600 Gen 2 Headset for Xbox Series X|S & Xbox One

Shop the new Gen 2 Stealth 600 gaming headsets for Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and Xbox One. You will love the new Stealth 600 Gen 2 for the Xbox Series X|S.

thinking of ordering it. Unless there's another headset that I should be looking at to buy.
i have the first generation, this looks massively improved. my gripes with the first one was build quality and battery life, and this improves on both. Should be decent.

Fahro

Oct 27, 2017
I preordeded a PS5 and a XBSX and also the new Sony Pulse 3D Headset.

what are the chances of it also working on Xbox? Did the old Sony headsets work on Xbox one (they also use a usb dongle like the new one)

the Gamepads of both new consoles have a headphone jack. I tried the to use that with the DualShock 4 and my PS4Pro but the connection was unreliable. I hope that the new consoles have better Bluetooth connections.

how is the audio quality and input lag when using the headphone jack on the Xbox one controller on the one x?

I have great sounding wired headphones and would love to use them, but couldn't because of the connection issues I have with my DualShock. Thats why i also preordered the Sony pulse 3D Headset.

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Does de Xbox Seres S/X OS recognize them as different consoles or are they in the same family of devices as the One X/One S/One when choosing your primary console?

Self-quoting for second page to see if anyone has the answer. This is an important fact for those of us who have family sharing with multiple consoles on a household.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
The series s will not automatically run a game at 1440p/60 unless the Xbo s version already could

there's no such thing as an xbox one s game... only xbox one games

put an xbox one game in an xbox series s and 'if' the developers have allowed it, the series s will bump the game to 1440p/60, or as much as it possibly can

obviously there will be exceptions... but in general that's what the series s will do

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Edit: The One S can render 4K if developers choose to do so, but it targets 1440p. BC games will run at the targeted resolution, and upscale to 4K using their AI technique if you have a 4K TV. Overall, the Series S is more powerful than the One S but concentrates its resources on other areas, not res.

The Medium is for Series X|S and PC. It will be on Game Pass, but only playable on those platforms (and maybe through xCloud on Android, but we don't know yet if it'll support it). You can only play Game Pass titles if they're supported by your system. That means:

- Game Pass for PC: only PC games available
- Game Pass for Xbox One: any Xbox One games available, as well as any OG Xbox and Xbox 360 available through BC
- Game Pass for Xbox Series X|S: any Xbox Series X|S games available, as well as any OG Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One available through BC
- xCloud: only xCloud supported games, and only on Android. Requires Game Pass Ultimate

Thank you for the clarification. So that means that on my Game Pass (for Xbox One) that particular game will either not show up at all or just don't work (maybe with a Series X/S logo on it?). I wonder how many future games will be Series X/S only. If they want people to upgrade, that's obviously the way to go. Otherwise most people could just keep using their Xbox One for Game Pass and get new first party games. On the other hand, Microsoft seems content with us paying for Game Pass regardless of platform.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the clarification. So that means that on my Game Pass (for Xbox One) that particular game will either not show up at all or just don't work (maybe with a Series X/S logo on it?). I wonder how many future games will be Series X/S only. If they want people to upgrade, that's obviously the way to go. Otherwise most people could just keep using their Xbox One for Game Pass and get new first party games. On the other hand, Microsoft seems content with us paying for Game Pass regardless of platform.
Yeah. It might be there to encourage people to get it on PC or Series S or X.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
I preordeded a PS5 and a XBSX and also the new Sony Pulse 3D Headset.

what are the chances of it also working on Xbox? Did the old Sony headsets work on Xbox one (they also use a usb dongle like the new one)

the Gamepads of both new consoles have a headphone jack. I tried the to use that with the DualShock 4 and my PS4Pro but the connection was unreliable. I hope that the new consoles have better Bluetooth connections.

how is the audio quality and input lag when using the headphone jack on the Xbox one controller on the one x?

I have great sounding wired headphones and would love to use them, but couldn't because of the connection issues I have with my DualShock. Thats why i also preordered the Sony pulse 3D Headset.
I have the gold one (black and blue color) and it works with any headphone jack slot, tried it with Xbox without issues, but afaik they wrote on the box that you don't get the virtual 7.1 if you use the headphone jack.

Oct 27, 2017
did a bit more research and figured I might as well get a good set of headphones and spend a bit more money.

Down to two and would like some advice on which ones I should get for my one S & eventually, series X. Or, is there any new headsets coming out in Oct or Nov for the Xbox series X|S that warrants me to hold off on buying on of these two now?

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
1. Any Xbox One game that's being enhanced/optimized for Series X is essentially a native game. So they are making a Series X native version of Gears 5 for example. AC Valhalla and many other third party games will be Series X native at launch

Oct 27, 2017
did a bit more research and figured I might as well get a good set of headphones and spend a bit more money.

Down to two and would like some advice on which ones I should get for my one S & eventually, series X. Or, is there any new headsets coming out in Oct or Nov for the Xbox series X|S that warrants me to hold off on buying on of these two now?

found another one

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Being new you are going to have shit ton of games if you get Game Pass. In addition to GP, you have 3 Generations of BC games to look into. MS has not mentioned what enhancements they will have on Series X...but on Xbox One X they had several 360 and OG Xbox games that hit 4k with very smooth frame rates. Some of the 360 games looked current gen and just looked incredible at 4k. Enjoy!

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
So as far as Xbox Series X/S exclusive games available on GamePass at launch, it's just Call of the Sea and The Medium? Thought one of the older Microsoft conferences said we were getting more than that, but maybe those games like Scorn and Scarlet Nexus got pushed out of the launch window?

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I did not own an Xbox One so I'm a little clueless about the going on's? Can anyone take a minute and answer these questions for me?

1. What native Xbox Series X titles will be available on Gamepass at launch? What Xbox Series X enhanced titles will be available at launch?

2. I want to eventually have 4 controllers for local co-op. I know there is backwards compatibility with the Xbox One controllers. Is there any advantage to the Xbox Series S/X controllers? Will Xbox One play & charge kits work with the Series S/X?

3. I hear EA play is going to be included in Gamepass. Is the included library of games visible from within the Game Pass app or is it in a separate app?

4. How long do Gamepass titles typically stay in the library?

I don't think we have a full comprehensive list yet, but for Ms 1st party everything released post gears 5 should be compatible with SX in at least being 4k60. Some older games like SoT and FH4 are also confirmed for at least a 4k60 upgrade.

Everything releasing towards the end half of the year should be compatible too, so AC, Dirt5, Watchdogs Legion, Yakuza 7...

Ms promised over 100 S|X enhanced games for launch (as in games that will be recompiled to support them) I reckon close to launch we will get the better picture.

There are also games that will be enhanced by the BC team, we know some of the xbone games will be enhanced (Gears Ultimate for example will be 4k60 SP and 4k120 MP on SX and 1440p at the same framerates on SS) but again not much of a comprehensive list there yet.

2. No, Ms said that the improvements to SS/SX controllers were made at a driver level and they will update the older controllers with the new features.

The new controllers have supposedly better ergonomics but I think the Elite 2 is already on the same mold (it just feels better on the hand then other controllers), so if you have any where you can test you can try and see the difference and decide whether it's worth getting a new one or not.

3. Currently the library handles it pretty well. There are separate lists for each service and it recognizes if you own the game or it's being entitled a license from the service. And it just let's you install it. This works for the library, the store, on both your main or shared console. And on top of that there's an app that you can see all the catalog, games with discounts and trials. Though to be honest I almost never even open it.

4. Games stay at a minimum of 3 months, and after 60 days on the service they get 20% discount. That said the average life of a game on the service is usually much higher at closer to 1 year. Only the bigish releases that came shortly after launch like Rdr2 that basically stay only for 3 months.

5. What happens when a Gamepass game leaves the library? Do you still get to keep it, like PS Plus? Or does it deactivate?
You usually receive a 30day notice on both the dash and the mobile app. You can try to finish the game in that period or purchase it with a 20% discount (the discounts apply to dlc as well).

If you purchase the game is yours forever, otherwise you no longer can play it. Supposedly the 20% discount stacks with another promotion but I don't think I remember ever seeing a game on gamepass and having significant discounts at the same time, it's usually the publisher that controls it overall.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Can you use a Bluetooth headphones (like airpods) on the Series X?

If it's like the current gen, no. And you wouldn't want to either. The widely compatible Bluetooth audio protocols add 100-200ms latency which is fine for watching video on your phones because the phone also delays the video to sync up. Playing games with the delay sucks.

There are some proprietary BT protocols for low latency audio but most headphones don't support it and both transmitter and receiver have to talk the same protocol. That is why wireless console headsets use a USB dongle and their own proprietary wireless tech.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
Can you put the gamepass subsciption on hold if there are no titles that interest you at the moment?

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Will Xbox 360 Controllers with play and charge work, even if it's only while plugged in? I have an old one lying around.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Should we create an xbox helpdesk OT for questions? I think we're getting quite a few in the regular xbox threads (e. G. The ganepass one) which is cool, as it's nice to see interest in another platform.

PS could have one too to keep ebmveryone happy!?

Jonatron

Apr 22, 2020
Having skipped the Xbox one and only having played DS3 on PS4, the amount of confusing info to dissect as a casual gamer looking to get into next gen is mind boggling.

I was leaning towards a Series S as it would only be connected to a 50" 4k tv. Not fussed about native 4k and thought the Series S would play next gen games with the same graphics and frame rate as the Series X, but just at lower res. Seems that was misguided and the Series S won't even play BC games to the same graphical and frame rate improvements as the Series X?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Having skipped the Xbox one and only having played DS3 on PS4, the amount of confusing info to dissect as a casual gamer looking to get into next gen is mind boggling.

I was leaning towards a Series S as it would only be connected to a 50" 4k tv. Not fussed about native 4k and thought the Series S would play next gen games with the same graphics and frame rate as the Series X, but just at lower res. Seems that was misguided and the Series S won't even play BC games to the same graphical and frame rate improvements as the Series X?
Yes thats only for BC tho. As the Series S will take the BC version of a One s game and Series X takes the version from One X
It all has to do with amount of ram. Remember the Series S isnt 4k focused machine. One X was. And that where the BC part comes in play.

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I'm in the market for a good Xbox Wireless (Native) headset, ideally with USB-C. First ones that I've come across are the new Turtle Beach 600X/700X Gen. 2. Any other recommendations?