Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
You can play Call of Duty and...

Well. That's it.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does the Series S allow for external hard drives /SSDs for next gen games, or same constraints as the Series X?

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
That's a bit on the low end, but yeah, that means the OS plus caches etc. is eating about 40 GB.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
That's the worst thing about the Series S, especially considering it's a digital-only console.

EDIT: Forgot that physical games needs to be installed on the SSD too.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Big oof. Hopefully MS have managed to reduce the file size of their first party SX Optimized games.

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
CoD:BO:CW is going to take up almost all of that! You definitely are going to need to get that expansion drive or ext HD with the Series S.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
It's pretty small. But hopefully developers will keep file sizes smaller on the Series S because of lower resolution assets. Also don't forget that ANY external hard drive can be used as a method of 'cold storage' and moving it to the built in SSD is only roughly a ~7 minute process.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the 1tb card at 200+ it means the serie s with as much space as the sérieux would be ...400. Yup. Serie x
Games shouldn't be more than 50gb. Cod is really bullshit

Affrogamer

Sep 7, 2018
Bronx, NY
Honestly, they cut too many corners to get XSS at its MRSP. Maybe it will work for them. It seems like the strategy is to use it to draw gamers into the Gamepass ecosystem. But imho, this is definitely not a next-gen console. I mean its' dropping down to 900p and 720p on some games like let's be real LOL. Imagine playing games as such lower resolutions 4-5 years from now

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I think they should have ate the cost and made it 1TB as well. I know they were trying to hit a price point and make cuts but that's not a lot of room for a casual that is playing COD or Fortnite.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It being a digital-only console makes literally no difference as all disc games need to be installed to the drive anyway.
You can easily reinstall games from disc without having to download 45gbs of data if it comes to that. Might make a difference for people with slow internet or data caps.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
The assets aren't going to be quite as large. I bet it gives you a comparable amount of games on the console as the Series X.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Aren't game sizes smaller on the S due to the lack of 4K? Still not a lot of room but to be expected with a cheaper console.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
It may be relatively cheap but it really doesn't seem like an attractive next gen console with performances woes and glaring issues like that. SSD space is a concern for all next gen consoles but this is really too damned little.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I'm considering the Series S as my companion GamePass console to compliment my PS5 and Switch. I haven't played my One X in like... three months, so this is okay with me. There will probably be 1-2 newer games I keep installed to play, along with some classics from GamePass. I just need to see some actual freaking previews and game analyses before I jump in and buy this thing.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
That's really bad for an All Digital console

And the cost of storage expansion is almost as much as the console, it's not even an option

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, I know for some folks $300 is what they can afford and from that point of view it's great that the Series S exists. Same for parents with younger kids.

For almost everyone else, this feels like a bad value proposition. A Series S and one of the 1TB drives costs more than a Series X. 364 GB will fill up quickly even if they are delivering you lower res textures.

Combined with the fact this seems less of a 1440p machine and closer to 1080p, and it's losing RT features on some games, and it lacks a disk drive...

Even if I were stuck, I'd rather save up the money for a Series X.

N.IgmatikOne

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
Good design but the deal is looking worst with new information released. Not only is it a weaker system, only has 364gb to use for a digital only system.