• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017

Thought this is worth adding here;

Series S is powerful than all current gen consoles by far.
It's a next gen console that targets 1080p, instead of 4K.

Same Zen 2 CPU as XSX and PS5.
Same RDNA 2 GPU architecture as XSX and PS5.
Same GDDR6 RAM as XSX and PS5.
Same NVMe SSD as XSX.

It's expected to have similar raytracing features, machine learning/AI capabilities as XSX as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tonight's leak apart, this might be the worst kept secret in the whole history of the industry. It's absurd how people knew about Lockhart and Series S since years ago.

Anyways, fantastic price for a next gen console, this will SELL.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
So the only way for next-gen news to come out is for it to be leaked. Guess we should start throwing random PS5 launch dates out until Sony confirms.

/s

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
Great price! This puts it firmly within impulse buy territory for me. I'll probably buy a PS5 at launch, and have this as a game pass + BC machine.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I skipped the Xbone but this is a fairly tempting purchase for so cheap.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda like the black fan in this lighting. Gives it its own little visual quirk and isn't like ostentatious or anything. But the contrast is blown out a bit so who knows.

So this is more powerfull than the Xbox one S but less powerfull than the Xbox one X?
More powerful than both.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
It really does look small. This price point is going to be attractive for a lot of people this holiday.

Still going with the thicc Series X.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great price. Not interesting for people with 4k tv but for most of the general public it's a great deal.
I will need two Xbox série. For my bedroom and living room. But I have a 77cx and 65c9..... so I'll take two série x. (And also I mostly need uhd player in both room)

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Gotta say, props to Xbox's social media team. They've consistently been quick on their feet and light-hearted about a launch cycle that, due to the pandemic, has been messy for both of the platform holders.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Wow, sounds like a solid price-point. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this!

This could be a solid 1440p machine, I've found that resolution scales pretty well to 4K displays!

Edit - quoted posts:

I thought this was more aimed at 1080p?
If would need to be half as powerful as the X1X for that GPU wise and every rumour points to it being 1/3 of the XSX. It could do 1440p30fps in a 4K60fps XSX game though.

The rumoured 4 teraflops of the Xbox Series S is just a bit over what could be required to run games at a quarter of the resolution that the Xbox Series X runs them at, this could be used to provide the headroom to achieve this comfortably, or it could possibly be used to run games at slightly higher resolution than 1080p, alternatively this power could be used for things such as higher quality anti-aliasing. Realistically 1440p could possibly be targeted with more comfort with a 5.31 TF GPU, and 4 TF may be pushing it. It depends on how GPU bound a game is.

Dynamic resolution scaling could be used to help games target resolutions higher than 1080p when possible, and this machine will also likely run Xbox One X enhanced titles even better, so you could potentially be looking at 4K resolutions for last generation titles, and 1080p-1440p for current generation games depending on how GPU bound they are.

Official news of the Xbox Series S is just coming to light after months of rumours, it would be nice to see an increase in teraflops to the 5TF range which could bring 1440p gaming with it closer to reality. Shortly before the Xbox One launched it received a slight boost in power, this would be nice to see once again for the rumours specs of this machine.

More like a 1080p machine.
Indeed, it most likely will be that for current generation games, hopefully it will be able to run Xbox One X enhanced titles even better.

Last edited:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Does that confirm it comes with a controller. I think some were speculating based on reports that they might try and drop it to lower the cost?

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I don't check Resetera before sleep, like normal, and wake up in the middle of the night to this news storm. Crazy! Even crazier it's now officially confirmed!

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Haha and people thought this was a controlled leak by MS to trick Sony into naming their price, only for MS to then claim their own leak was false, and then announce pricing lower than Sony. Sometimes what you think is 4d chess is just some third party advertiser employee leaking slides.