• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I wonder if the new xbox controllers will be immediately compatible with windows 10 PC's. Even if they would be compatible with the current wireless adapter.

Mine is pretty worn and I'd like to pick u p a new one after launch.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the data for the most recent quarter, during COVID:

www.resetera.com

Sony Q1 FY2020 (April-June) Results - PS4: 1.9m (LTD: 112.3m) / Best Quarter ever for PlayStation / Strong FY20 FCT: $23.4B Revenue & $2.24B Profit Sales

*The US Dollar figures have been converted from Japanese Yen with exchange rate provided in Sony fiscal reports Source 1 / Source 2 Highlights : Over $5.63B Revenue and $1.153B Profit between April-June 2020 (Q1 FY20) Biggest Revenue ever for PlayStation (and for any platform holder) during...

You can google the Nintendo results yourself. If you won't, or don't, thats fine. Believe in the heavy decline of physical as a trend. I don't care anymore.

I'm late to the party man but this data doesn't support your arguement at all.

Physical has been declining as a percentage of sales since the beginning of the generation - steadily at first, and rapidly more recently.

In terms of volume, it's been on a downward trend for the last 3-4 years as well.

There shrinking percentage and the shrinking volume together tell a clear story. Physical is rapidly becoming less and less important for consumers.

The fact that two major players are releasing consoles that don't have disc drives will only accelerate the trends. As will the rise of services like gamepass, which offers discounts on all digital purchases and challenges physical as a way to access older games (and some brand new games) at low cost.

You bring up Nintendo, but 1) they are an outlier in an industry that includes PC, Sony + MS trends and 2) Physical Nintendo games retain their value for a LONG time - so this platform isnt really for the price conscious.

The writing is written very clearly on the wall. The trailing indicators tell us that yes physical retail is still important to consumers, though its quickly becoming a smaller part of the revenue picture for gaming companies. The leading indicator it's quickly becoming less important to consumers as digital options improve.

Last edited:

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I wonder if the new xbox controllers will be immediately compatible with windows 10 PC's. Even if they would be compatible with the current wireless adapter.

new Xbox controllers have been bluetooth for awhile, so you shouldn't need the adapter and it should work out of the box (I think)

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

new Xbox controllers have been bluetooth for awhile, so you shouldn't need the adapter and it should work out of the box (I think)
I used mine without an adapter with my laptop

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I used mine without an adapter with my laptop
You have to pair it, but yes, they do work. Be careful with plugging in though--once you do that, you have to pair it again (unless that's been fixed).

I don't have bluetooth on my desktop PC o I'm forced to use the wireless adapter. Also I believe the input lag is better than blue tooth?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I don't have bluetooth on my desktop PC o I'm forced to use the wireless adapter. Also I believe the input lag is better than blue tooth?

you can get a tiny bluetooth adapter that you can barely even see for less than $10. Might want to look into that. I'm not sure about the input lag - I believe the OB X1 controllers use WiDi.