DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. So we have no disagreement and that currently, XSS does face a potential issue with regards to primarily physical price concious consumers. That may or may not mean anything. That is literally all the point I was making.
Um sure? But the way you talk about this makes it sound like this $299 next gen system is not a major power play because it's impossible of tapping into an increasingly irrelevant portion of the gaming market

Oct 25, 2017
Um sure? But the way you talk about this makes it sound like this $299 next gen system is not a major power play because it's impossible of tapping into an increasingly irrelevant portion of the gaming market

Well, yes, I never contended that a $299.99 box isn't an enticing proposition. Just that it has limitations due to the current realities of the videogame market and the global reality of internet infrastructure in various regions.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and the data you are contending shows years of consistent retail sales with one minor dip and another larger one for one platform specifically. This is all to ignore the fact that PS4 came out in 2013 and physical was increasing up until 2016. Nintendo has posted record physical sales as well, matching nearly the Wii era in some regards.

To be quite frank, if you don't want to believe that 2020 showed an increase or the Nintendo number, I don't care anymore. This is all easily found information via google.

Its too much energy wasted over a worthless argument over an assertion that was absolutely ludicrous, when all I am contending, for the final time, is that one year does not make a trend. And it doesn't. Not for the broader videogame market based off the sales if just one platform.

One year doesn't make a trend but your data shows two years in a row. You keep saying it's one year when there's two years in a row. If you look at movies which you're trying to say it's not like, movies also started with a minor dip that kept getting worse and worse year after year. All your data really shows is two years in a row of decline with the decline getting worse. You have shown no data that shows that it stabilized in year three. If what you say is true, then support your claim and show the data because right now the data you've shown does not reflect what you say. If you're going to say well Covid throws a wrench into all that, that still doesn't change that it will be three years in a row and what makes you think that year four will recover now that the behavior has continued for three years in a row? You keep replying when you could have taken that time to just show us the data you're using to say otherwise.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Series S has a comparable CPU with PS5. This whole gen we have lamented Jaguar holding back the entire medium. When I see devs post about 'optimisation troubles' I have to wonder what they're talking about.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yes, I never contended that a $299.99 box isn't an enticing proposition. Just that it has limitations due to the current realities of the videogame market and the global reality of internet infrastructure in various regions.
The only other consoles coming out with disk drives are both 500 dollars so they are also quite limited due to the current realities... in more ways than one I guess haha

Oct 25, 2017
One year doesn't make a trend but your data shows two years in a row. You keep saying it's one year when there's two years in a row. If you look at movies which you're trying to say it's not like, movies also started with a minor dip that kept getting worse and worse year after year. All your data really shows is two years in a row of decline with the decline getting worse. You have shown no data that shows that it stabilized in year three. If what you say is true, then support your claim and show the data because right now the data you've shown does not reflect what you say. If you're going to say well Covid throws a wrench into all that, that still doesn't change that it will be three years in a row and what makes you think that year four will recover now that the behavior has continued for three years in a row? You keep replying when you could have taken that time to just show us the data you're using to say otherwise.

Here's the data for the most recent quarter, during COVID:

www.resetera.com

Sony Q1 FY2020 (April-June) Results - PS4: 1.9m (LTD: 112.3m) / Best Quarter ever for PlayStation / Strong FY20 FCT: $23.4B Revenue & $2.24B Profit Sales

*The US Dollar figures have been converted from Japanese Yen with exchange rate provided in Sony fiscal reports Source 1 / Source 2 Highlights : Over $5.63B Revenue and $1.153B Profit between April-June 2020 (Q1 FY20) Biggest Revenue ever for PlayStation (and for any platform holder) during...

You can google the Nintendo results yourself. If you won't, or don't, thats fine. Believe in the heavy decline of physical as a trend. I don't care anymore.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the data for the most recent quarter, during COVID:

www.resetera.com

Sony Q1 FY2020 (April-June) Results - PS4: 1.9m (LTD: 112.3m) / Best Quarter ever for PlayStation / Strong FY20 FCT: $23.4B Revenue & $2.24B Profit Sales

*The US Dollar figures have been converted from Japanese Yen with exchange rate provided in Sony fiscal reports Source 1 / Source 2 Highlights : Over $5.63B Revenue and $1.153B Profit between April-June 2020 (Q1 FY20) Biggest Revenue ever for PlayStation (and for any platform holder) during...

You can google the Nintendo results yourself. If you won't, or don't, thats fine. Believe in the heavy decline of physical as a trend. I don't care anymore.
Umm why do you keep posting shit that suggests that retail is losing marketshare to prove that retail isn't losing marketshare...

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
1. AMD already has SKUs around a similar GPU setup since last year - https://www.anandtech.com/show/15206/the-amd-radeon-rx-5500-xt-review
2. RDNA2 based PC GPUs are due to release late this year, just like the consoles. They might have decent Renoir based APUs as well.
3. Microsoft is subsidizing the Series S (supposedly by a significant margin) because they stand to earn back from GamePass/Live etc. Similarly AMD cannot subsidize and leverage their GPUs.

Isn't a RX 5500XT 8GB like $200 by itself? And I can't see AMD putting out a budget card to replace it for a while. I also don't see them releasing an APU to match even the S, because they always seem to keep the APUs with low core counts, and even if they could match it, the cost alone would probably be like $300.

Would subsidising PC hardware even work for anyone? I could only imagine someone as big as Steam being able to make it happen because of the existing marketplace.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
The retail sales volume went up slightly in FY20 vs 19 despite this quarter literally taking place during a pandemic that shut down stores.
Right and what I'm telling you is that video game sales were absurdly high this year but at the end of the day digital sales continued on the trend of significantly eating into retail sales. Much larger than I even thought currently

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what you didn't understand about my post

That poster is right; I asked to show that physical sales from year to year was not in decline for three straight years in a row and the data supplied shows that. There's two things being discussed here; one is marketshare between physical and retail which is what you're focused on while I was talking about units of sales year over year. Primethius showed with that link that in FY20 Q1, sales did not decline compared to FY19 Q1. In fact, they were up.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
That poster is right; I asked to show that physical sales from year to year was not in decline for three straight years in a row and the data supplied shows that. There's two things being discussed here; one is marketshare between physical and retail which is what you're focused on while I was talking about units of sales year over year. Primethius showed with that link that in FY20 Q1, sales did not decline compared to FY19 Q1. In fact, they were up.
The data shown proves that once again, more people are buying digital than retail. There's a reason why the marketshare disparity is getting attention while units sold YoY aren't. It's because one you can extrapolate much more about the current trend from proportional data rather than from sheer sales numbers without any context

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Either you are a troll or you are incapable of reading and rely on assumptions as a substitute. I'm sorry, I can't help you with that. Have a good one. Ignored.
I'm so lost were you not just arguing with me for hours about how retail isn't declining and how digital is merely additive

I don't ignore people for disagreeing with me so if you keep responding I'll keep up too

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
The data shown proves that once again, more people are buying digital than retail. There's a reason why the marketshare disparity is getting attention while units sold YoY aren't. It's because one you can extrapolate much more about the current trend from proportional data rather than from sheer sales numbers without any context

Sure marketshare matters when you're trying to focus on where the money is coming from, but you also can't discredit at the moment if something has a stable business model either. I don't think it will stay that way over time, but you can't completely dismiss it either. Definitely the trend is more people are buying digital.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Sure marketshare matters when you're trying to focus on where the money is coming from, but you also can't discredit at the moment if something has a stable business model either. I don't think it will stay that way over time, but you can't completely dismiss it either. Definitely the trend is more people are buying digital.
I think it's absolutely dismissible and it's why the people in the comments for that thread only bring up marketshare when comparing the health of the digital market vs the retail market. It's because sheer sales numbers lack context, organizing them into percentages gives you more to go off of.

I'm not arguing with you really, but I'm feeling a little salty about how it really seems like the poster just couldn't wrap their head around it. You see this so I know I don't need to convince you of it but the trend of retail pulling in less and less of the pie will ultimately end up with it being considerably less profitable and less important for games companies

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't a RX 5500XT 8GB like $200 by itself?
Yes.

And I can't see AMD putting out a budget card to replace it for a while. I also don't see them releasing an APU to match even the S, because they always seem to keep the APUs with low core counts, and even if they could match it, the cost alone would probably be like $300.
Newer RDNA2 based sub $200 SKUs should offer better performance than the 5500XT/Series S. You are correct that AMD doesn't launch GPU centric/heavy APUs because ... there isn't a big market for it. PC space is more about fit-a-piece-from-here and fit-a-piece-from-there so lots of options in that regard. They only design APUs based on the SIs like HP/Dell who have a few token designs based around these APUs.

Would subsidising PC hardware even work for anyone? I could only imagine someone as big as Steam being able to make it happen because of the existing marketplace.
It doesn't and it can't which is why it won't happen.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's absolutely dismissible and it's why the people in the comments for that thread only bring up marketshare when comparing the health of the digital market vs the retail market. It's because sheer sales numbers lack context, organizing them into percentages gives you more to go off of

I'm not saying it's not relevant. I'm saying there's still relevance to year over year units sold with physical and seeing if it's questionable if it's in decline yet. It certainly has flat lined and it most likely will be in decline probably this upcoming generation. You absolutely can lose market share while still at the same time not have a decrease in sales and that is the data I wanted to see.

Anyway, that's getting off on a tangent. The point is I asked for a certain piece of data and Primethius gave me that piece of data. You then jumped on them for giving me that piece of data when all they did was gave me what I asked for. I do think like it was mentioned earlier, Covid alters that sales trend so Covid is probably making this year more of an anomaly rather than the norm, but we'll have to see how the sales go for the remainder of FY20 and see what happens in FY21 Q1. I think we'll see a decline in FY21 Q1 though and I think at that point it'll be clear as day that yes physical sales are definitely trending downward and we'll probably have an idea at what rate too.

Oct 25, 2017
Series S has a comparable CPU with PS5. This whole gen we have lamented Jaguar holding back the entire medium. When I see devs post about 'optimisation troubles' I have to wonder what they're talking about.

Development is complicated so plenty of programmers I know are leery of any sort of added complexity, even when it seems like the added complexity is very, very insignificant. It's a sort of glass half-empty outlook that comes from spending countless long nights pulling your hair out trying to find some stupid bug.

It seems like the design compromises Microsoft made here are well thought out, but people who have been burned before are going to be gun shy. I honestly think it's a healthy perspective to have on every dev team.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it's not relevant. I'm saying there's still relevance to year over year units sold with physical and seeing if it's questionable if it's in decline yet. It certainly has flat lined and it most likely will be in decline probably this upcoming generation. You absolutely can lose market share while still at the same time not have a decrease in sales and that is the data I wanted to see.

Anyway, that's getting off on a tangent. The point is I asked for a certain piece of data and Primethius gave me that piece of data. You then jumped on them for giving me that piece of data when all they did was gave me what I asked for. I do think like it was mentioned earlier, Covid alters that sales trend so Covid is probably making this year more of an anomaly rather than the norm, but we'll have to see how the sales go for the remainder of FY20 and see what happens in FY21 Q1. I think we'll see a decline in FY21 Q1 though and I think at that point it'll be clear as day that yes physical sales are definitely trending downward and we'll probably have an idea at what rate too.
Because his data doesn't show it's stabilized. We're in a record year for video game sales, that's the statistical noise that gets filtered out when you compare proportions YoY. Of course retail sales are gonna be higher, all game sales are higher. But digital sales increased by a magnitude much higher than for retail. For some reason they really didn't see to get that. I want that particular poster to understand exactly why what they're posting doesn't back up their claim that retail isn't slowly getting skullfucked by digital

But yea, we'll get a better picture in 2021 but man it sure as hell seems clear as day right now

bi0g3n3sis

Banned
Aug 10, 2020
A mp map designer and a technical producer doesn't need to know ram bw, and game engine optimizations at all to do their jobs.

Proof will be in the pudding when the games hit.

You think they know less because they are in different positions in same house? MP map designer doesn't know the specs, really? I'll bet he can design huge map with dense foliage for XSS, but XSS can't swallow that. Yeah, i'm sure he knows the specs.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
You think they know less because they are in different positions in same house? MP map designer doesn't know the specs, really? I'll bet he can design huge map with dense foliage for XSS, but XSS can't swallow that. Yeah, i'm sure he knows the specs.

If you want to see in their concerns as confirmation that Xss will have compromises beyond resolution and minor fps drops then go ahead. I'll wait for the games to hit to see what the situation is.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Has the Aus pricing been discussed?
press-start.com.au

Xbox Series X/S Australian Prices And Release Date Revealed

XBOX SERIES X
$749 AUD/$799 NZD
$499 USD

--
XBOX SERIES S
$499 AUD/$549 NZD
$299 USD

--

About what i expected. The S will definitely be an attractive option as a second unit once the generation is in full swing and prices go down.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's remotely stating the obvious
Maybe obvious to tech people/programmers. You can't fit things in ram that isn't there. If you try to run a game that expects more ram than there is, it won't just affect the framerate or resolution, it just won't work, period. The game won't run. Series S has less ram than Xbox One X, thus it can't possibly run every game with XBox One X upgrades. You would have to pick and choose which upgrades to enable, which means a process that isn't automatic.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
press-start.com.au

XBOX SERIES X
$749 AUD/$799 NZD
$499 USD

--
XBOX SERIES S
$499 AUD/$549 NZD
$299 USD

--

About what i expected. The S will definitely be an attractive option as a second unit once the generation is in full swing and prices go down.

EB trade in deals: Series X for $399 when you trade in a One X. Series S for $299 when you trade in a One S.

Not bad deals. If they have something similar with trading in a PS4 Pro for PS5 I might jump on it!

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know why it took my dumbass this long, but just realized the S pretty much guarantees a 1080p (or technically1440p, basically a not native 4K) mode in all games, hopefully it's a mode X and PS5 get with few extra bells and whistles, because I'd take it over the 4K mode everytime.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'm low key loving the design of the S now. Really grew on me in a way the other two still haven't. Part of it is due to how compact it is. I really hope it runs quietly.

Sep 7, 2020
press-start.com.au

XBOX SERIES X
$749 AUD/$799 NZD
$499 USD

--
XBOX SERIES S
$499 AUD/$549 NZD
$299 USD

--

Oh for an extra $250 I think I'll get the Series X then. I anticipated a bigger price gap.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why it took my dumbass this long, but just realized the S pretty much guarantees a 1080p (or technically1440p, basically a not native 4K) mode in all games, hopefully it's a mode X and PS5 get with few extra bells and whistles, because I'd take it over the 4K mode everytime.

it's going to be weird how they do it

just because if they target 4K on PS5, then S is going to be 1440p with ease and X is going to get the extra bells and whistles

if they target 4K on X, then it's going to be 1080p or 1440p on S, and then you'd have PS5 somewhere in the middle where they could in theory do a performance (uncapped framerate) or scale back to stable 30 and just add shit

if the game is a 30fps target, then PS5 is going to have dynamic res or something

nobody will obv target S first because that could cause some huge issues scaling to both PS5 and X

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
EB trade in deals: Series X for $399 when you trade in a One X. Series S for $299 when you trade in a One S.

Not bad deals. If they have something similar with trading in a PS4 Pro for PS5 I might jump on it!

Yeah I just saw that EB games trade in offer. That seems like a pretty good deal for people who want an X or S.
Interested to see what they offer regarding ps4 and pro trade in for a ps5.

Oh for an extra $250 I think I'll get the Series X then. I anticipated a bigger price gap.
I thought it would be a bigger gap as well. The X does seem like the way to go if you can afford but the S looks like a sweet way to jump in to next gen.
Pretty smart thinking on MS part.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe obvious to tech people/programmers. You can't fit things in ram that isn't there. If you try to run a game that expects more ram than there is, it won't just affect the framerate or resolution, it just won't work, period. The game won't run. Series S has less ram than Xbox One X, thus it can't possibly run every game with XBox One X upgrades. You would have to pick and choose which upgrades to enable, which means a process that isn't automatic.
We'll see. I'd be happy for you to come rub it in my face when all back compat games run with settings identical to One S. I don't think that will happen

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
I feel like they should've at least kept ram speeds similar
Total waste to be higher when games are targeting 1080p, 1440p at the most. These are better RAM numbers than PS4 Pro which is 1440p machine.

Also, XSS has very PS5 like SSD to RAM transfer rate (1.67 seconds to refresh all 8GB of game RAM) than XSX (2.81 seconds to refresh all 13.5GB of game RAM).So if you believe Cerny'spiel abouut PS5 SSD making RAM amount almost irrelevant, then same should apply to XSS.