kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
So was anyone able to order an Xbox all access today? I was on the checkout for over an hour on Microsoft site and it always gave me an error page when I click submit after everything was setup. Really bummed out

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Damn what a day, I lined up at Gamestop about 2 hours before opening, I was 11th in line. I thought I had a good chance at preordering. The staff never told us how many xbox they had we had to wait until 8:00am. They only had about 6, lol. And 1 was a X1S. They tried and tell everyone to stay and they will still fullied the order from the warehouse you just had to pay in full right there. After about 40 minutes and they still haven't even processed a single order from the "warehouse." I left I had to work and wasn't gonna wait "maybe 20 minutes maybe 2 hours" Oh well, really wanted to trade in my PS4 and Xbox 1 X but luckily I checked this thread around 10:30 someone mention preorders at Best Buy were live. Try for about 20 minutes and got in a preorder. Got my PS5 and XSX preorders locked in.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
So was anyone able to order an Xbox all access today? I was on the checkout for over an hour on Microsoft site and it always gave me an error page when I click submit after everything was setup. Really bummed out

I think a couple people in here did. I got through the credit check on GS, but they were sold out. Pretty fucking stupid that AA wasn't a separate allotment of consoles.

Jedi79

Oct 27, 2017
Tried periodically since 11 , went between errors and Out of stock all day on MS site

SteveByDesign

Sep 11, 2019
This is the first time since before the PS2 that I will not be there for the next generation on day one.

No PS5 or Xbox Series console for me at launch. Super jealous of everyone who will be playing this November but definitely plan on grabbing a Xbox Series X when Halo Infinite launches, and then a PS5 when there is a mid generation refresh or slim.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Just realized my card got flagged earlier by my bank for trying to preorder the series x. Finally got it unlocked. I'm thinking the universe is conspiring against me getting a series x.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep, that what I meant, if I want extra high speed memory then I need the official memory card . Thanks guys
No you literally have no choice. You cannot play next gen only games without using the built in SSD or the built in SSD+official SSD card expansion. If you add an external HDD or SDD, it can run the backwards compatible games from them, but it will force any next gen games to be moved to the proprietary internal SSDs. You have no slow option for next gen game storage - you play them on their SSD or you don't play them at all.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Fuck it. I tossed a preorder to AC: Valhalla for Xbox Series X to go with the console when I pick it up on release day. I need SOMETHING to show off the power of the console and if it plays at 4k/60, that for sure will be a visual showpiece. I don't think I paid full price for an AC game since 1 and 2. I also forgot that Destiny's new expansion will release day and date on Game Pass at 4k/60. So Valhalla, Destiny 2, Game Pass, and then 2 days later Spidey, Demons Souls, DMC5SE. That's enough to hold me over for a long time.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How come they don't bundle any Game Pass subs though, seems like a huge missed opportunity to say "Xbox comes with hundreds of games to play after you unbox it whereas for PS5 you gotta buy shit"

eek

Oct 26, 2017
How come they don't bundle any Game Pass subs though, seems like a huge missed opportunity to say "Xbox comes with hundreds of games to play after you unbox it whereas for PS5 you gotta buy shit"

I wouldn't be surprised to see a trial card in there. IIRC Xbox One X came with 1 mo? of game pass. I think when I bought mine it had a year of live with it.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
No you literally have no choice. You cannot play next gen only games without using the built in SSD or the built in SSD+official SSD card expansion. If you add an external HDD or SDD, it can run the backwards compatible games from them, but it will force any next gen games to be moved to the proprietary internal SSDs. You have no slow option for next gen game storage - you play them on their SSD or you don't play them at all.
Thanks for clarifying

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is with this citizen one credit line for all access? When i got my xbonex at the microsoft store they had me open up a line with dell to do it

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if not putting up the memory card today for preorder was a strategic move... I mean we know it's going to be expensive, so that might have made the "news cycle" so to speak, and distract. Traditionally you would want as many accessories as possible out there... the margins are high, attach rate, etc and people are preordering EVERYTHING. I just know I want one, since the Xbox is going to be my "main" console, and I don't want to do the "cleaning the fridge technique" so often. The extra 1TB (2TB total) would be just perfect for me, based on how I use my One X.

Oct 25, 2017
For Xbox One games that haven't been enhanced for the Series X, are we expecting them to have the same performance as a One X?

I imagine load times will be better regardless, just not sure if we'll see frame rate improvements or native 4K without devs enhancing them.

Aug 31, 2018
Hey! Just wanted to clarify the $170-$180 for three years of game pass ultimate. So as long as I haven't redeemed game pass ultimate before I should be able to do it? I have had xbox live gold late last year and redeemed regular game pass from a friend's console that gave me one month. Would I still be able to qualify?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For Xbox One games that haven't been enhanced for the Series X, are we expecting them to have the same performance as a One X?

I imagine load times will be better regardless, just not sure if we'll see frame rate improvements or native 4K without devs enhancing them.
Any game that has unstable frame rates on Xbox One X should be stable on Series X. Any game that has dynamic resolution on One X should lock to the maximum resolution on Series X.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get that either. But this will be a cool launch. With Game Pass and PC, you'll have access to so many games on Day One. Don't think a console has ever been so stacked on Day One.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, for $200 you get an optical drive (including 4K UHD BD), double the NVME storage that is required for loading and saving nextgen games, triple the graphical throughput, and more memory.

I can't recommend the Series S. Even at $299.
Yeah, Series S is a bad value and I think people that end up getting the S instead of the X are going to regret it. With games at 100gb+ that 512gb storage is gonna be gone quick and then of course no optical drive and worse graphic performance.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, Series S is a bad value and I think people that end up getting the S instead of the X are going to regret it. With games at 100gb+ that 512gb storage is gonna be gone quick and then of course no optical drive and worse graphic performance.

It looks like upgrading the NVME is going to cost over $200 when that happens. You'll have a system that costs more than a Series X, with most of the limitations. You'll have 50% more nextgen storage though...nah.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean, for $200 you get an optical drive (including 4K UHD BD), double the NVME storage that is required for loading and saving nextgen games, triple the graphical throughput, and more memory.

I can't recommend the Series S. Even at $299.
Not to be rude and nobody knows if S will succeed but the technical and practical downsides of what you just listed are not likely central or tangible problems to the kind of people who have been buying Xbox One S over the Xbox One X for the last few years, which is likely who Microsoft made it for. The mainstream or casual gamer who wants a next gen Game Pass machine probably doesn't care about the things you listed, if they even know what those things do

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not to be rude and nobody knows if S will succeed but the technical and practical downsides of what you just listed are not likely central or tangible problems to the kind of people who have been buying Xbox One S over the Xbox One X for the last few years, which is likely who Microsoft made it for. The mainstream or casual gamer who wants a next gen Game Pass machine probably doesn't care about the things you listed, if they even know what those things do

How much do you like cleaning out the fridge?

To be clear, this is NOT an X1 or PS4 where you can buy affordable third party external storage to store more of the latest games. Series S buyers are starting out with half of the storage and proprietary, very expensive storage as the only expansion option for Series games. An option, which once bought, means they don't have a more affordable than Series X system any more. Because they don't.

Last edited:

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

To be clear, this is NOT an X1 or PS4 where you can buy affordable third party external storage to store more of the latest games. Series S buyers are starting out with half of the storage and proprietary, very expensive storage as the only expansion option for Series games. An option, which once bought, means they don't have a more affordable than Series X system any more. Because they don't.
They can use external drives, and it will just spend a fairly brief transfer time rearranging what you have loaded to play on the S. Many X players may be happy with the X storage, but some won't be happy there either and still have to buy an expansion. But plenty on S and X will be fine just flipping things on and off the internal storage to their cheap external drives to skip using slow internet downloads.

there's plenty of people who will be fine learning external hard drive or SSD options to avoid buying proprietary bigger storage models of console or expansions. It's been a thing on Xbox for many years, and is not that different on Series X|S

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

You can still buy affordable third party external storage as cold storage though. For plenty of people that will be good enough. They'll store 5 to 10 games on the system drive and then swap in as needed.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Hey! Just wanted to clarify the $170-$180 for three years of game pass ultimate. So as long as I haven't redeemed game pass ultimate before I should be able to do it? I have had xbox live gold late last year and redeemed regular game pass from a friend's console that gave me one month. Would I still be able to qualify?
If you go into game pass and it offers you 1 month of Ultimate for a dollar, you're good.

Oct 7, 2018
USA

Yeah but most of the people buying that system aren't gaming enthusiast's and won't be playing more than a handful of games at a time so I don't really see it being a big problem for them to just uninstall and install the game they want when they run out of space.

Is that a perfect option of course not but It seems like you're not really thinking of the financial situation of your average person and how minor of an issue this will be for the non enthusiast crowd

$200 may not seem like much to you but that is a significant amount of money for a large number of people, especially your average family trying to get a great Christmas gift for their kids without blowing the budget on one item.

The combination of a first class streaming and media box with all the necessary apps as well as access to hundreds of high quality games that will look and play great on 1080P TV's all for 25 bucks a month for 2 yrs is going be extremely attractive to a large segment of the population who otherwise simply cannot afford to go next gen.

Bobsjourney

Jul 19, 2020
Just going to clarify something. Even if you did the 1$ ultimate gamepass offer in the past and it expired, you can still do the same trick. The only difference is instead of 1$ Itll cost $15. Ive already done it twice myself

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah but most of the people buying that system aren't gaming enthusiast's and won't be playing more than a handful of games at a time so I don't really see it being a big problem for them to just uninstall and install the game they want when they run out of space.

In my experience almost all people who buy at system launch are gaming enthusiasts.

In fact, most gaming enthusiasts buy well after launch when there are either a lot more new titles and/or a price cut. Casuals even moreso.

Launch buyers are the hardcore.

Note that interest in ordering the Series S and the DE at launch in online communities seem relatively tiny. It's largely something you settle for if you can't get your desired SKU.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
Got my Series S easily yesterday :)
Strange for the US, but in France the Series S was available everywhere day 1 and is still available at Microsoft, Fnac, Amazon, etc... I guess nobody wants it ^^

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
In my experience almost all people who buy at system launch are gaming enthusiasts.

In fact, most gaming enthusiasts buy well after launch when there are either a lot more new titles and/or a price cut. Casuals even moreso.

Note that interest in ordering the Series S and the DE at launch in online communities seem relatively tiny. It's largely something you settle for if you can't get your desired SKU.

And who are the people buying current gen systems while next gen systems are out on the market? That's who the Series S is targeting.

Oct 7, 2018
USA

Maybe I misunderstood your post that I replied to,it looked to me like you were saying the S has no value at 299 because of its limited storage.

I was simply stating that although the lower storage isn't great the savings will be worth it to many because it will create a lower point of entry for those who want to acquire a console for something such as a Christmas gift for a child not necessarily right at launch.

You seem to be pretty hostile and worked up over this perhaps you need a couple days away from new console news?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe I misunderstood your post that I replied to,it looked to me like you were saying the S has no value at 299 because of its limited storage.

I was simply stating that although the lower storage isn't great the savings will be worth it to many because it will create a lower point of entry for those who want to acquire a console for something such as a Christmas gift for a child not necessarily right at launch.

You seem to be pretty hostile and worked up over this perhaps you need a couple days away from new console news?

Yeah, not really hostile nor worked up. Opinionated, always :) Thanks for caring.

Anecdotally I have personally talked to a whole lot of people who have overlooked the NVME storage gap and have not even the wildest idea as to what nextgen storage will cost (and it's not being released until 'holiday' instead of launch, so...). This seems concerning. It's not a great idea to have your consumers encounter such surprises. I have a sinking feeling that we'll be hearing a lot more about the actual cost of having a convenient Series S from a lot of people in the future. Hopefully I'm wrong. I guess time will tell.

I've got my Series X and PS5 optical version on order (and a Quest 2 to boot), none of this will affect me directly. I'm actually thrilled to have made it through these online shenanigans complete with everything locked down and now I'm waffling back and forth on whether to go for the 3070 next month. I should probably wait a while. ;)

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Just an observation from me, but the X has been pre sold out since yesterday for all of 2020 in Australia, but EB Games has had the S model in stock for 2020 up since yesterday. I know it's launch and Australia where our prices and internet is not the best, but so far people understand it's the compromised console and obviously do not want it.