• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
The following technical specification chart is directly from the Xbox article for the Series S announcement

Tech-Specs-1.jpg

Along with the storage capacity and GPU differences there are some other important comparisons to note here are the differences in Ram Size and Speed between the two machines along with a minor downclock on the CPU.

Ram speed in the XSS (224 GB/s vs 560 GB/s) appears to be a bit less than half the speed of the XSX in addition to the lower total (10gb vs 16gb).

CPU speeds have also been slightly adjusted with the SMT clocks being 3.4Ghz compared to XSX at 3.6 GHz.

While the cpu differential is fairly minor the ram speed difference is quite large and definitely worth making note of.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
oh interesting, didn't know that the ram speed difference was going to be that drastic

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That bandwidth is even lower than the One X, but I guess it's fine if they aren't targeting 4K like with that.

Also interesting that the CPU is slightly slower despite people saying it was the same, only 200mhz less so not a huge deal regardless.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Woah, are those RAM speed numbers right?

edit: It's hard to look at this comparison and think that lowering the resolution is the only thing developers will have to do.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this probably needed a thread, Microsoft are (expectedly) trying not to emphasise the spec difference with Series S. Can't wait to see some side by side game comparisons between this, XSX and PS5. Its gonna be a fun ride.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
the 299 game console is the better choice for me. I'll decide if I keep gaming on console or just jum already to a PC. Pc seems to have the brighter future.

OP
OP
RexNovis

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
That bandwidth is even lower than the One X, but I guess it's fine if they aren't targeting 4K like with that.

Also interesting that the CPU is slightly slower despite people saying it was the same, only 200mhz less so not a huge deal regardless.
Yea I don't see the CPU being an issue but the ram bandwidth could definitely end up being a problem since ram is sued for things other than specifically feeding the GPU textures etc. folks forget it also feeds the CPU and is vital for other HW functions as well. I seriously doubt it will scale as linearly as one might think with a lower target resolution.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious on where the Series S will be positioned if we get pro versions of the series X and PS5 midgen, will we have 3 versions of games?

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
The RAM speed and amount is probably already well calculated to those numbers by them. I wouldn't worry too much really

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to some hot three-way comparison videos from DF.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Tbh it's hard to imagine the differences between two versions of a game being only 2160 -> 1440p. There's gonna be more drawback than that when you see those specs.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting that Series X has 3x the TFs with only 2x the performance target. I guess resolution doesn't scale linearly with TFs.

Ram choice is interesting as well. 2.5GB OS with 56gb/s bandwidth. Is that enough?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
That RAM is slower than I expected! But I'm sure they thought this through and can deliver 1440p visuals on games that are 4k on Series X.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Actual Next-Gen is on the right... for the next 7 years

Hello baseline... you fucking suck

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The RAM speeds of the Series S is shockingly low. Not even matching One X here.
And a split-memory pool as well which means scenarios of congestion lowering effective speed further.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woah, are those RAM speed numbers right?

edit: It's hard to look at this comparison and think that lowering the resolution is the only thing developers will have to do.
its basically a PS4 Pro with a SSD and CPU. Same number of tflops and ram bandwidth. For 1080p and 1440p, that should be good enough.

56GBps should be good enough for the OS.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
well it is about 50 GB/s faster than PS4s pool
and to keep things in mind... we aren't seeing a drastic change in resolution (texture/render target)

it's all on I/O, CPU and GPGPU... latency driven things

I don't think PS5's pool needs to be as fast with the SSD and I/O setup they went for.

the series S is going to be rather interesting to see in comparisons.

I expect more drawbacks though than just resolution drops, especially later in the gen

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
How the ram speed compares to the VRam in the upcoming 3xxx series from Nvidia? I know nothing about ram speeds lol :(

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
It's hard to look at this comparison and think that lowering the resolution is the only thing developers will have to do.
According to Microsoft that's the only difference between the 2 consoles.

"The primary difference between Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S is in resolution."

www.theverge.com

Microsoft reveals Xbox Series S specs, promises four times the processing power of Xbox One

The Xbox Series S has a different GPU than the Series X

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
This thing should be fine for cross gen games but I doubt it will hold up as well once next gen games start to release.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
well it is about 50 GB/s faster than PS4s pool
and to keep things in mind... we aren't seeing a drastic change in resolution (texture/render target)

it's all on I/O, CPU and GPGPU... latency driven things

res is around the same but in theory you'd be doing a ton more per pixel. RT is supposed to be very bandwidth heavy for example. It does feel a little low but it does scale in line with the GPU - actually a little more bandwidth per TF than XSX I guess