• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
4k target for X - 8294xxx pixels
1440p target for S - 3686xxx pixels
Ratio 2.25:1

Bandwidth ratio X to S -> 2.5:1

Close enough, aside from the slow 2GB which is for OS anyway

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
So, if the graphics performance is ~3 times worse is it reasonable for Microsoft to establish a 'performance target' with a resolution only 2 times lower than the X?

Or is that target 1.5 times more optimistic than the X's performance target? :P

Oct 27, 2017
How do we not end up in a situation in a few years where games display much of the graphics of the series X, but struggle to maintain 30 fps in places.

But yeah, it could mean a return to the 4-year console cycle.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
That RAM speed looks pretty bad at first glance, I would have thought they'd match the speed of the XSX slow pool of RAM at the very least.

But it's worth remembering that the PS4 Pro usually targeted the same resolution and has slower RAM while also not having any of the new technologies of the XSS, as well as the fact that 336GB/S for CPU things was crazy fast anyway.

I'm sure that the Xbox engineers know much more than you or I know about game design and how to make things more scalable

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
That RAM pool makes it more clear to me why devs would have to do extra work for the S. You can't just use the same textures and scale down a resolution slider; you would have to design an extra, smaller set of assets and then, like that recent thread with the Naught Dog lighting artist described, optimize the other graphical goodies to fit within the remaining frame time separately for X and S. So it's nice that the CPU is the same, but not trivial to develop for both.
They said in the development of the machine they made sure bringing games down from X was as easy as possible. MS did a ton of R&D in regards to making things more efficient for devs, I doubt they fucked up here. Everything was meticulous designed and tested.
I don't claim to fully understand game development or anything, but if every next-gen game is going to have to run on this thing doesn't that kind of mean it's going to inherently hold back the industry? Like we're not making a leap like we could be because we have to account for this in-between console? Or will it be up to developers to decide if they want to not support the Series S? If that's the case, it seems dishonest to portray this as an alternative to the Series X.
No.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Actual Next-Gen is on the right... for the next 7 years

Hello baseline... you fucking suck

This has been popping up in my head recently, and it doesn't get much attention. While the Series S is a fantastic price, it further solidifies the fact that the Series X and probably PS5 are making 4K a requirement rather than a suggestion. I know things have more or less pointed toward this for some time, but they pushed 1080p as a selling point all the way back to the 360/PS3 era and definitely didn't always hold themselves to it when graphical capabilities couldn't be met at that resolution (which was a good thing). But the Series S mere existence means that the more expensive machines are for 4K through and through, which means that other graphical advancements are essentially hamstrung. Luckily there are other great technologies like VRS and DLSS that will allow for cheaper ray tracing and other important enhancements like those shown in the UE5 demo.

But yeah, I just find it hard to come to terms with; 4K is a massive resolution jump that I personally don't care about, and it comes at a huge cost to other things that I do care about. 1440p upscaled with different methods should have been the standard for next gen, imo. I guess it just doesn't have the same ring to it. But what the hell do I know about this stuff.

Last edited:

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
IDK. No one can look at a spec sheet and know how it will perform. We'll have to see actual benchmarks to know.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Good compromises. I can't wait to see how the performance scales from the X to the S. I'm going to assume linearly because otherwise they'd be saying more than just resolution differences.

Oct 29, 2017
Can not help to be curious if this will take more than a resolution sacrifice to run series X games . Then again if its slight differences like shadows from high to medium settings or something like that I don't people will really care. Feels like it will come down to can the game run Series X games at pretty much the same frame rate and perform similar .

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming all of the RAM clocked at 224 GB/s is going to be dedicated for games?

So ~5 GB for the GPU, and 3 GB for the system, and the remaining 2 GB at 56 GB/s is for the OS?

Oct 27, 2017
Uh that's a much bigger change in ram speeds, and the CPU is a little slower than XSX? Why? I Would think that could easily stay the same and not shave any costs off.

have they confirmed how much ram is used by OS? Isn't it 2.5 or 3GB for XSX? So 7-7.5GBs for games in XSS? I am no expert by any means, and I don't want to upset anyone, but I really wish XSX was the base model. $499 and price reductions over time to $399 then $299 just like Xbox One would've been great.

I'm happy they have this option tho no disc drive kills it for me since Xbox has such good BC and I've got a lot of discs. I'll wait until XSX hits $400 or less in 2022-23

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming all of the RAM clocked at 224 GB/s is going to be dedicated for games?

So ~5 GB for the GPU, and 3 GB for the system, and the remaining 2 GB at 56 GB/s is for the OS?

its 10GB total

8GB for games
2GB for OS

Windows 10 already has insane boot times on current hardware with SSD's. 56GB/s will be easily enough for the system at 2GB since its not running as much as windows.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Someone explain like I'm 5 why the ''low RAM''(I don't know if there is a official name for this) between consoles have such difference in speed?

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I'll raise my eyebrows about the ram speed but I get that it will be smaller textures etc but still interesting none the less. This is a little lower than I expected but should hopefully be fine. Just could be interesting in a few years though when series X and PS5 start pushing better graphics and lower resolution than 4k.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
"primary difference" does not mean only difference. The word primary would imply that there are other secondary differences.

Maybe its just semantics but I don't see how you can say only when Microsoft themselves are not using the word only.
Storage capacity and optical drive is what I take it as- especially because they're pushing that it has ray tracing and variable rate shading etc.

In this video, they specifically say resolution will be the only difference, as the Series X is design for native 4K and the S 1440P.

Oct 28, 2019
Is there a chart or paraphrased version of this for people who don't know specs because they only play consoles and don't know what this means (about the Series S)? Or should I just wait until someone does a comparison with the PS5 thrown in the mix?

Just wait until early November, there's going to be tens of hours of content of Digital Foundry scouring over every visible pixel on all consoles for comparisons. What you read here is all speculation, mostly if not all from people who have zero clue themselves.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
It's amazing how much better of a value the XSX is over the XSS. Save your pennies. XSS may look ok in 2020, but 3-4 years into the generation and you will be wishing that you had bought a XSX.
Yep, this. Series S is cheap and good for now but Series X is the much better buy if you really want an xbox console.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
this is going to be rather interesting. As most computers built in the last few years matches or completely blows the series S out of the water. It's basically a mid gen refresh console at the launch of a new one. I'm curious how low resolution or performance goes just a few years in because of it.
It will be interesting. It even has a hardware upscaler while the Pro had the checkerboard acceleration. I just wonder what will make for the 'next-gen' push, the architectural gains of the GPU? the SSD? the CPU? Probably all those. I hope it delivers good as it will be the next-gen baseline.

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
imagine the PS5 be 499 and DIGITAL 399. Only 100 bucks difference but more than double the power. Probably wont be 399 though...

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
to sum up:

Ram speed is lower but that was expected. Above PS4 Pro but with lower expected render targets.
SSD speed is unchanged so the SSD here will feel like the PS5. Going to be quick AF.
CPU core speed reduced which by my rough math would mean devs just lose access to one core but that is assuming nothing is changing from the system overhead from XSX to XSS... but still an absolutely massive upgrade over this gen.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
300 dollars folks. It still sounds like they could charge more for what's in the S.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
This has been popping up in my head recently, and it doesn't get much attention. While the Series S is a fantastic price, it further solidifies the fact that the Series X and probably PS5 are making 4K a requirement rather than a suggestion. I know things have more or less pointed toward this for some time, but they pushed 1080p as a selling point all the way back to the 360/PS3 era and definitely didn't always hold themselves to it when graphical capabilities couldn't be met at that resolution (which was a good thing). But the Series S mere existence means that the more expensive machines are for 4K through and through, which means that graphical advancements are essentially hamstrung. Luckily there are other great technologies like VRS and DLSS that will allow for ray tracing and the like while still improving other things, as well as other solutions shown in the UE5 demo.

But yeah, I just find it hard to come to terms with; 4K is a massive resolution jump that I personally don't care about, and it comes at a huge cost to other things that I do care about. 1440p upscaled with different methods should have been the standard for next gen, imo. But what the hell do I know about this stuff.
There is a chance for PS5/PC only releases that push actual graphics forward, since PS5 will have massive userbase, but yeah majority of titles will have to keep Series S in mind sadly...

😢

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Uh that's a much bigger change in ram speeds, and the CPU is a little slower than XSX? Why? I Would think that could easily stay the same and not shave any costs off.

have they confirmed how much ram is used by OS? Isn't it 2.5 or 3GB for XSX? So 7-7.5GBs for games in XSS? I am no expert by any means, and I don't want to upset anyone, but I really wish XSX was the base model. $499 and price reductions over time to $399 then $299 just like Xbox One would've been great.

I'm happy they have this option tho no disc drive kills it for me since Xbox has such good BC and I've got a lot of discs. I'll wait until XSX hits $400 or less in 2022-23
CPU and GPU speed that they come up with is probably already tested heavily to keep the heat in check. It's 60% smaller than the XSX after all.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
It will be interesting. It even has a hardware upscaler while the Pro had the checkerboard acceleration. I just wonder what will make for the 'next-gen' push, the architectural gains of the GPU? the SSD? the CPU? Probably all those. I hope it delivers good as it will be the next-gen baseline.

I just wonder how much they limit on it. We already spent half the gen on xbox stuck in basically 900p hell.....I really do not want to go back to that just to get 120fps.

Although scaling techniques have improved by insane margins in the last 3-4 years.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
12TF vs 4TF for a 1440p target on the lower end. That jump to 4K must take a lot to go from 4TF to 4K.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
There is a chance for PS5/PC only releases that push actual graphics forward, since PS5 will have massive userbase, but yeah majority of titles will have to keep Series S in mind sadly...

😢
Can't they just scale it down for the S? Like a medium setting on a PC game.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
CPU and GPU speed that they come up with is probably already tested heavily to keep the heat in check. It's 60% smaller than the XSX after all.
Yeah, they probably did a lot of clock tweaking with the system to get thermals in a place where they didn't need an expensive cooling solution. That small CPU clock speed loss might seem pointless on its own, but in conjunction with the rest of the system it will help bring down heat.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
i meant in terms of raw tflops and bandwidth, and what that means for 1440p gaming since the PS4 pro is basically a 1440p current gen console. this is supposed to be a next gen 1440p console which is why 226 gbps might be enough.
Oh for sure 226gbps will be enough.

The console only has a third of the GPU performance of XSX, but over a third of the bandwidth. It actually has a little leg room.

It also doesn't need as much VRAM due to the lower resolution frame-buffer and (no doubt) textures will automatically be scaled down to accommodate the lower memory (like they are in PC games at lower settings).

It's really a non-issue. But I'd think of this as a 1080p box rather than a 1440p box. Can't imagine the big next-gen AAAs hitting 1440p on this thing, but plenty of smaller titles.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Phew, that's a gap! The Series X is definitely more future proof.

But that's sort of the issue; the Series S has to run all games that the Series X can run throughout the whole generation. Like dmix90 said, Series S is essentially the baseline for next gen. The stark difference in power shows how much more it takes to hit 4K; 2/3rds of them Tflops for a little extra sharpness is not a very favorable way to spend all those resources, imo.

Andromeda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pro 4.2 TF and 218GB/s
Lockhart 4 TF and 224GB/s

Yep, bandwidth sounds about right for X Series S

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

😢
The entire point of the paired down specs is to run the games at lower resolutions. Series S won't hold Series X and PS5 back any more than the 3070 will hold the 3090 back. The Xbox engineers aren't dumb, a fuck load of R&D went into this, they know what they're doing.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I know $200 means alot to many people, but the value is much better in favor of a Series X in my opinion. Twice the storage, 3x the performance, ability to play disc based games and UHD discs. Even if you don't need a 4k capable console right now, that might not be the case in 2-3 years. If you hold onto the same console for an entire generation, then it might pay to be more forward thinking.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Can't they just scale it down for the S? Like a medium setting on a PC game.
Not always.

For me that "not always" is enough to consider it as potential roadblock for creativity or image quality progress.

Will see how it goes i guess... nothing we can do about corporation market penetration plans and console itself is revealed already.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
The entire point of the pulled back specs is to run the games at lower resolutions. Series S won't hold Series X and PS5 back any more than the 3070 will hold the 3090 back. The Xbox engineers aren't dumb, a fuck load of R&D went into this, they know what they're doing.

On PC you can choose your resolution/graphics settings though. It's not a fair comparison. And PC hardware requirements change; a PC that is fine at the beginning of a gen can be rendered more or less obselete by the end, requiring an upgrade. The same cannot be said for these consoles.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
But that's sort of the issue; the Series S has to run all games that the Series X can run throughout the whole generation. Like dmix90 said, Series S is essentially the baseline for next gen. The stark difference in power shows how much more it takes to hit 4K; 2/3rds of them Tflops for a little extra sharpness is not a very favorable way to spend all those resources, imo.
Yeah we'll see how much the S will drag down the X hardware...

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, for how beefy these things seem to be microsoft has priced these really aggressively, good for us! I remember a lot of people saying there was no way it wasnt going to be 600 us dollars.

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
Logically the numbers would have been decided according to performance requirements. So typical 4k usage should scale down to those XSS figures.

Having said that, the memory bandwidth does look surprisingly low. My understanding was that ray tracing is largely dependent on bandwidth, so I wasn't expecting that type of difference with the XSS.