• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thoughts on the name?

• I like it

Votes: 2,141 37.2%
  • Meeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Votes: 1,687 29.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 1,935 33.6%

• Total voters

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
It looks like an early 2000's generic dev kit. I'm assuming that design is the only way they could cool down all that power.
Peter Brown at GameSpot says Phil just gave them his target specs and told them to make a design that got them there, rather than coming up with a general console shape and then squeezing things in. Interestingly, they only have one fan and it's at the top where the vents are, which means it's supposedly very quiet despite being "4 times as powerful as One X". It's an interesting idea, the opposite of what they've done with One S, One X, and the Surface line. But, I also think that's kinda cool and exciting.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, then you just put it on top of the cabinet; problem solved.
bbc9dzjp.jpg

I'm sure you're fine if you've got a 65" wall-mounted tv display and what looks like a 6 foot split cabinet sitting underneath. But I'm talking about small apartment tv shelves from IKEA.

But I guess they were advertising huge TVs at the game awards so maybe I'm not the typical game audience?

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At this rate it won't be long before the conspiracy theories about Google being behind its design to promote Stadia start popping up.

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
I'm so terribly disappointed they're just going with PC box design...

The name... I think they're just calling it X series because of multiple SKUs and each is going to have a proper name, I hope.

Just look at the picture in the OP.
That means nothing, even Phill added "Xbox we've ever built" after that quote in the VGAs.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
My money is definitely on this being more powerful than the PS5. They weren't subtle about never giving up the power advantage again, and may have gone hard to ensure that, with a likely scenario of eating the cost with a competitive price.

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Don't most people just call the current Xbox either just Xbox or Xbox One? Never heard anyone specifically say One S or One X so the name might not be that confusing..

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox Series X

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
am I the only that thinks this doesn't sound that powerful? Twice as powerful as X1X? CPU 4x that of X1X? Those metrics don't seem that great considering what we got from the X1X. Am I missing something ?

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just look at the picture in the OP.
Lol that's...that's technically correct... "Fastest... Most Powerful... Xbox, ever".
Clever marketing. But downright confusing when the Verge says it proves it's superior to the PS5 tech wise... just by whats been told.
SO FAR... we know the same about both machines. ZEN CPU, Navi 2020 GPUs, SSD, Hardware RT. So... how does the Verge reach the conclusion they reach?

Obviously though, MS knows what Sony is cooking somewhat. If they had a slogan like "MOST POWERFUL NEXT GEN MACHINE EVER"... and Sony has better specs, they will embarrassingly be forced to change their tag line.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess this will be the end of console generations for Microsoft and from now on they will just release updates to Series X and Series S

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
It means a lot because that's the image that people are looking at at a glance, not watching Phil talk.

Advertising is meant to imply stuff. The fine print comes to those that pay attention.
And because it doesn't say anything after is exactly why it means nothing. You said it right, it's meant to imply, not to be correct. This is nothing new.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I can't believe how bad they are at naming their consoles haha. If its a small console, then it'll look good, if its big then it will truly look horrible.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Ok but real talk, all you people complaining about fitting this in your tv stands are destroying your consoles and you're all stupid :p. If you're packing your consoles, outputting a crap ton of heat, into tiny perfectly sized gaps, then you're frying your electronics. Stop. The Series X isn't as long as my One X, about as tall, and maybe like 4 inches wider. That's NOT a dramatically altered footprint. If you can't fit this where your previous console went, then you were placing your vents right AT the cabinet and letting it radiate right back into the console. This is entirely your fault, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Half /s, but also...

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I think this is the worst designed console I've seen. It is just lazy and boring.

Having said that, doesn't matter too much if the specs are good, and they seem good.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Not a fan of the name, but I do not think there will be anywhere near as much as confusion over it as so many here are suggesting.

Absolutely love the design though. It is so unique and striking. I never thought we needed a refresh of how gaming consoles should be presented, but this has left a seriously strong impression on me.

Skipped out on Xbox entirely this gen despite being a huge fan in the past. I really like the direction they are going with though and might get this sort of early on if the BC does everything Xbox One X does.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Ok but real talk, all you people complaining about fitting this in your tv stands are destroying your consoles and you're all stupid :p. If you're packing your consoles, outputting a crap ton of heat, into tiny perfectly sized gaps, then you're frying your electronics. Stop. The Series X isn't as long as my One X, about as tall, and maybe like 4 inches wider. That's NOT a dramatically altered footprint. If you can't fit this where your previous console went, then you were placing your vents right AT the cabinet and letting it radiate right back into the console. This is entirely your fault, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Half /s, but also...
I've had my consoles in semi-tight spaces for a couple decades now and they still work perfectly fine. We don't all have large rooms with wall mounted TVs and large entertainment centers.

If I can't find a place for this I'll either just return it or wait for a revision where they'll obviously make it smaller.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Half /s, but also...

you know you can have open backs to av shelving? And most shelves are 6-8" high so plenty of headroom above a horizontal console. This is very different and will clearly be challenging for some to find a space for.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Well, I kinda like the design. What I don't like is that I can't fit it right below my TV :( The X fits perfectly between TV and cabinet.
When can we finally preorder?

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to be getting this day 1. Having sold my Xbox one very early on, this time round I now have a lot of faith in what MS can do. I think sales wise and exclusives will be much closer than this gen.

But in saying that I think the name is kind of awful and I'm not sure on its appearance either. I hope it fits ok into my cabinet

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox 360 Core
Xbox 360 Premium
Xbox 360 Arcade
Xbox 360 Elite
Xbox 360 S
Xbox 360 E
Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S

Chef's kiss *mwah*, look at that elegant progression

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
you know you can have open backs to av shelving? And most shelves are 6-8" high so plenty of headroom above a horizontal console. This is very different and will clearly be challenging for some to find a space for.
Well.. 6-8" would fit this console just fine. Heck, go ahead and vent out the open back. Not sure what the problem is then?

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
I think it looks quite sleek, but yeah, its not going to fit into many TV stands. Also the name...it could easily get confused with the One X.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
If it's silent and well cooled, then I don't care about the shape. I ended up using Xbox more than my PS4 due to the crazy noise the latter was making.

I am intrigued about the new controller. The shape seems to be unchanged.

Have they confirmed that Xbox One controllers will be compatible with this thing?

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I really like the look. It's bold and different and I expect down to excellent cooling. I'll be using my horizontally though.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
If it's silent and well cooled, then I don't care about the shape. I ended up using Xbox more than my PS4 due to the crazy noise the latter was making.

I am intrigued about the new controller. The shape seems to be unchanged.

Have they confirmed that Xbox One controllers will be compatible with this thing?

controller is slightly smaller

Xbox One controllers will work with this. also this controller will work on xbox one, too.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Name-wise I think the similiarity to the Xbox One X is unimaginative and will not do it any favours when it comes to distinguishing it from the previous generation.

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
Genuinely think this design is just annoying. Remember the Wii U controller? I've still got that thing shoved down the side of my TV stand getting dusty. The Switch is a pain to fit in. It does look like it prioritises airflow so from a design perspective that's great but it's so goddamn ugly.