Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Also, we are getting cross gen multi platform games for at least two years. So ps4 and xbox one will still be the base . By that time 4080ti and new cpus and ssds will come out .

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people are so gullible on specs, if anything, this announcement just sounds like this console will be harder to get this kind of firepower out of.

None of this also talks about ray tracing as well. I'd expect most year one and year two games to still be checker-boarded up to 4K, especially on games aiming for 60fps.

And we are done here. Again, year one and two games will be slightly more powerful "PS4 Pro/X1X" type games, not native 4K60 with all the modern visual elements that PC games already have.
Games will be aiming for 30 fps since they will be using checkerboard 4k rendering with Ray Tracing for new fancy effects. Current free to play games will run at 60 and 120 fps at native 4k, but new games will focus on graphic fidelity as per the norm.

Pc gamers will still want 60+ fps and have the benefit of a wide ranging free sync/ gsync at a variety of video resolutions while I think console freesync is only 48-60 Hz on most TVs at 4k resolution which next Gen consoles will focus on. So unless a next Gen console game can consistently have above 48 fps at 4k with RT, it will feel much worse than Pc gaming and you won't even get that unless you repurchase a TV with HDMI 2.1 and a 120 Hz panel. In the end, I think 30 fps will be the norm again aside from F2P games and perhaps CoD/competitive shooters and Forza with a performance mode option lacking RT.

The one thing I have to wonder about changing PC gaming is the NVMe drive. Will multipartform games be designed to work on HDD and SATA based SSD, or how about the slow NVMe drives that are super cheap and not much faster than SATA SSDs?

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
At first, it'll be on par with high-end PCs. After 1-2 years, better GPUs will hit the market at reasonable prices. To answer your question, there won't be much of an impact. Same thing happens at the beginning of every console cycle.
after 1 or 2 years? arent the new nvidia cards hitting the market this year? o maybe at launch with new consoles, in which they will already be ahead of xbox series. i am talking about high end obviously. everything else is on par or even faster than xbox series x. maybe if it was 10 years back a year or two, but in 2020, it wont last 6 months.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Unless you play or want future PC exclusives I personally see no reason to even consider a gaming PC over an XBsX (or PS5 if the specs / features are similar).

XBsX is like a dream console in terms of specs / features.

no....
I always will choose pc over a console for any real non-exclusive game. Unless they run horrible or don't release at the same time.

You will get the best looking/performing games on pc if you have a good pc build.
PS[insert number] will always be for exclusives, same for Switch (although I do buy the occasional 3rd party port/most indies on there).

Also the abundant number of game stores to find deals is much better on pc.

Meech

Oct 29, 2017
With every new generation of console, it seems like this talk always comes up. PC will be fine. Unless the XSX can run full Windows 10, Steam, Epic Store etc. Things won't change much.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
From some of the responses here, you can tell folks who haven't looked at Steam hardware surveys in a while.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Its gonna take a while before games take full power of new consoles, besides most games will be cross gen for 1 or 2 years.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Unless you play or want future PC exclusives I personally see no reason to even consider a gaming PC over an XBsX (or PS5 if the specs / features are similar).

Except for graphics/frame rate customization, mods, tons of controller options, emulation, virtually infinite BC (not the partial BC Microsoft does), etc...

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Doubt it'll change much.

If it released today it'd be insane and definitely hurt PC gaming a bit. It's not coming out to later in the year though...maybe be delayed into next year??

By the time next gen arrives PC will have more powerful CPUs and GPUs making next gen consoles less attractive. The GPU in the XSX is more powerful than my PC GPU but I'll have upgraded by the time it releases.

These consoles need to last until 2026-27. They'll feel outdated by the time they launch and after maybe a year they will feel really dated in comparison to PC hardware.

I have no need for an XSX as I have a PC. I'm just excited that consoles will mean a higher standard of performance because of the specs. Consoles finally have SSDs! Games will have access to faster/higher capacity RAM! While the CPUs will still be weak they look to be more powerful and less crappy than what we have in current gen.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Both XsX and PS5 will be outdated by the end of their first year. That said both will be great upgrades, more than I even thought possible.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like these new consoles are going to push PC games and hardware to be better. PC games have stagnated for a long time now. When's the last time you saw a game that could only run on pc because of the tech? I can't even think of it. The PC space has been really boring. The majority of games are console ports or indie games.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Series X will be outdated the moment Ampere launches which also comes out in 2020.

That's true, but PC ports probably won't take full advantage of certain functions that Series X has for a few years. For the first few years, I honestly think graphical differences between Series X and PC versions will be fairly minute until around 2023 or so.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
That's true, but PC ports probably won't take full advantage of certain functions that Series X has for a few years. For the first few years, I honestly think graphical differences between Series X and PC versions will be fairly minute until around 2023 or so.

Most features are allready backed in DX12.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I feel like these new consoles are going to push PC games and hardware to be better. PC games have stagnated for a long time now. When's the last time you saw a game that could only run on pc because of the tech? I can't even think of it. The PC space has been really boring. The majority of games are console ports or indie games.

Star Citizen probably?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turing already has all of the RDNA2 features that MS is touting. and some of the other improvements are in DX12 already

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried we'll have another time like we had early in the PS4's and XBX's life cycle, where we'll get a lot of shoddy PC ports that aren't optimized for anything less than high-end machines.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017

For me the biggest thing is frame rate. If these new consoles have a baseline of 60 fps, then I'm very interested. But I think there will still be plenty of games at 30 because of developers prioritizing increased eye candy.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
If only.

I think developers are too scared to really tap into PC hardware. Sure games on PC have settings that can push it further but it's not a huge change. Like you say they are developed with consoles in mind so while PC might have prettier visuals, higher resolution, higher Frame rate...they are still held back by console limitations at an engine level.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I'm not too concerned considering that I just built a new machine with a 3800X and a 2070 Super, mostly because I game at 1080p and I'm not upgrading my monitor in the foreseeable future, so I'm good for at least 2-3 years. Got my X for all the BC stuff. Unless I somehow end up having a job that pays crazy good money I'll probably stick with my current set up.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Star Citizen?

May 15, 2018
Denmark
We haven't had a PC Direct in months. Safe to say PC2 is most likely canceled at this point.
Alex-Norris-Webcomic-Name-comics-12-1024x609.jpg

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Games will be aiming for 30 fps since they will be using checkerboard 4k rendering with Ray Tracing for new fancy effects. Current free to play games will run at 60 and 120 fps at native 4k, but new games will focus on graphic fidelity as per the norm.

Pc gamers will still want 60+ fps and have the benefit of a wide ranging free sync/ gsync at a variety of video resolutions while I think console freesync is only 48-60 Hz on most TVs at 4k resolution which next Gen consoles will focus on. So unless a next Gen console game can consistently have above 48 fps at 4k with RT, it will feel much worse than Pc gaming and you won't even get that unless you repurchase a TV with HDMI 2.1 and a 120 Hz panel. In the end, I think 30 fps will be the norm again aside from F2P games and perhaps CoD/competitive shooters and Forza with a performance mode option lacking RT.

The one thing I have to wonder about changing PC gaming is the NVMe drive. Will multipartform games be designed to work on HDD and SATA based SSD, or how about the slow NVMe drives that are super cheap and not much faster than SATA SSDs?
Yup, and especially the bolded, games won't be maxing out those speeds because multiplatform development means the Series X version will always be the most expensive to develop for, in an already small install base that it will have during year one.

Oct 29, 2017
Next gen launching always sells new GPUs a year down the road. The 970 became the most used GPU in steam in like 12 months. Probably something similar will happen with the "RTX 3060" and/or "RX 6700"

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
MS have routinely peddled shit regarding the capabilities of their systems. I'm still waiting for cloud physics in everything. Maybe eDram will save the day this time.

It will bring up the baseline of new AAA games by a ton, but I doubt that I have much to be worried about with a ryzen 3900x and 2080. It will be nice to see games designed around performance that PC has had for years, and I'm sure the series X will be a great value.

The specs of the system will lead to games with higher requirements and the low end of the steam charts will take a quick bump up as people adjust.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I think 30fps will still be standard unless these consoles aren't targeting 4k which they should.

Some games could run at 4k 60fps but it won't be standard.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
If only.

I think developers are too scared to really tap into PC hardware. Sure games on PC have settings that can push it further but it's not a huge change. Like you say they are developed with consoles in mind so while PC might have prettier visuals, higher resolution, higher Frame rate...they are still held back by console limitations at an engine level.

Star Citizen is one game, one game out of thousands that come out. There aren't many others.

I think you hit the nail on the head mentioning engine limitations. That's exactly it. PC games generally run faster, look better, etc, but they are still held back by the engine used in the console game and what is possible. When what's possible on console's improves, it improves the pc games as well.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Why it has to be "because of the tech"?

Imagine LoL, WoW or Dwarf Fortress on a console.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely a great deal, but I expect the next round of mid range GPUs to match or exceed the series X.
Consoles are a fixed piece of hardware, so Series X will be surpassed quickly.

But for me, PC is where my library resides. Over 1k games. Xbox games all on PC. PlayStation console exclusives, as well as first party dipping it's toes in PC. Even a Nintendo console exclusive.

Switching back to console would limit my buying options.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Why it has to be "because of the tech"?

Imagine LoL, WoW or Dwarf Fortress on a console.

What I mean is that the tech isn't being pushed forward for the MAJORITY of games. Of course LoL, WoW, Dota 2, etc are better on pc. PC games are held back by what's possible on the console's, in general for the majority of games. They are held back by developers, not the actual tech. Of course the pc space could jump forward, but they won't do it because the games have to come out on the consoles too, so they have to wait. The only time you see generational jumps is when new consoles come out.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I think the effect will be positive as the baseline is moved up for multi platform games.
  1. Ray Tracing Support
  2. SSD optimized titles.
  3. More Multi core support in game engines.
  4. Cross Play / Cross Save / Play Anywhere
This. It means that the baseline on PC should be much improved and two year old tech actually starts to get utilized more efficiently instead of just brute force.

ChemicalWorld

"This guy are sick"
Dec 6, 2017
Modding/ability to tailor settings/resolution scaling/choice of digital download stores/multiple controller options etc etc

I think PC gaming will be just fine regardless.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It won't have any effect, except moving the baseline up, as usual.

I don't know why we have to go over this every console generation.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Star Citizen, Control, Quake II RTX and Warzone now with RTX support.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It means ray tracing is the future and hard drives will finally get put out to pasture (the latter is long overdue). Adoption will be slow on the PC side but once everyone there has caught up, the future is going to be amazing.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
PC gaming is a huge market in itself and those 970s and 4 core CPUs are not going to go away anytime soon so developers still have to account for them. The big difference will be that you won't be running most games at ultra settings even on high end hardware and those on lower end stuff will need to cut down on details and resolution more.

I have a 2080 Ti and while waiting for Ryzen 3000 series I used it with my 4c/4t 6600K @ 4.6 GHz. When I finally upgraded to 3700X, there was pretty much no difference in max or average framerate, but a massive boost of 20+ fps in minimum framerates. I expect we will see something similar as next gen games roll out - they scale to less cores quite alright but may have issues with micro stutter and lowered overall framerates even with a good GPU.