• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Direct Storage, is also coming to PC. Of course.

That's good to know, I didn't know if any of it was actually coming to PC at all. Any idea how that will work though? Will it just be something added in an update that somehow makes everything faster? And would it be more taxing on PC, or allow quick resume like Xbox?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
One thing I'm really hoping for is that more devs keep their fancy 4K textures as separate Steam downloads, allowing us to minimize download sizes. SSDs are still expensive, and I hate deleting games and juggling for space- especially when most of the bloat comes from assets I have no intention of using.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
You don't even believe that yourself. 7nm nvidia will dominate any amd card.
Probably… but it would be great if RDNA2 was actually a huge leap in performance and they had something comparable to the old 9700 Pro.

Nope, I haven't. They don't have response times near what a monitor provides. Not by a longshot. And HDR capable G-sync monitors are sub 1k now days. That's cheaper with the response times being better.
There is no LCD on the planet which competes with OLED on response time.
The HP Omen X25f seems to be the fastest LCD RTINGS has measured; one of the newer 240Hz TN panels. Its response time is glacial compared to a C9 OLED.
omen-x25f-response-ti08kis.jpg
c9-response-time-2-lar2jtv.jpg

A real HDR G-Sync monitor - the G-Sync Ultimate displays - costs far more than an OLED TV. And they're worse.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think loading times will be what causes a large impact. I mean, hard drive speed wasn't the cause of super slow loading on older console generations, the real bottleneck was CPU speed, right?
Then again, we do already have games that play significantly worse on PC without an SSD. Final Fantasy XV is a good example, at least with 4K assets enabled.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
$300 is when it gets debatable, but $400 is likely going to be a 56 CU RDNA 2 from AMD, so basically a better binned SX GPU. Who knows about RTX 3000 line but it should be a big leap.
I expect from AMD it will be RDNA 56 for $400 & $500 for the RDNA 64, then "Big Navi" 80 CU for close to a grand.
I doubt AMD releases another 400$ tier GPU before years end with how recently they released the 5700 series. If they release anything i think it will be a higher end model.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think loading times will be what causes a large impact. I mean, hard drive speed wasn't the cause of super slow loading on older console generations, the real bottleneck was CPU speed, right?
Then again, we do already have games that play significantly worse on PC without an SSD. Final Fantasy XV is a good example, at least with 4K assets enabled.

Were there any tests done with FFXV on SSDs compared to HDDs without 4k assets?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So with the pretty insane specs and custom hardware of the Series X, I really wonder how much impact next gen will have on PC gaming, talking about next gen only games here. Couple of points:

- custom SSD with custom decompression hardware: Xbox Series X games won't run on a standard HDD, is it safe to assume future PC ports will require a NVMe SSD with atleast 2.4 GB/s? I think that will be the case indeed. However, XSX also sports features we have not seen in PC gaming yet, like hardware decompression. I wonder if PCs will be fine with PCIe 3.0 SSDs running at 2-4 GB/s or if hardware decompression may be necessary. Maybe it is possible MS or other vendors will release SSDs with similar hardware found in Xbox Velocity Engine?

- VRAM / RAM: So it seems like in best case scenario, developers will use 10 GB of extremly fast GDDR6 memory for the GPU. I wonder if future games will struggle on 6 and 8 GB VRAM cards, sure it could probably work on lower resolutions and with lower textures, but will it be enough for a stutter free experience? In addition, XSX uses a new, apparently, hardware based feature called Sampler Feedback Streaming which MS said will massively reduce VRAM consumption due to intelligent texture streaming. I have found something similar called DirectX Sampler Feedback, but I don't know if its the exact same thing and if current GPUs support it at all. If it can't be used on PC we could see an enourmous increase of VRAM usage and higher prices for new graphics cards.

- Mesh Shading. So this was a surprise for me. Mesh shading allows for significantly increased geometry detail with high framerates and low CPU usage. However, only Turing supports this and apparently, according to Star Citizen developers, it's not an easy switch between older shading methods and mesh shading. Could this mean GPUs that do not feature mesh shading will suffer in next gen games?

- CPU: so the Ryzen CPU clocks at about 3.6 GHz fixed for 7 cores and 14 threads which is very impressive indeed. Due to the high efficiency of Zen 2 and the high clock count, Intel CPUs with less than 12 Threads may not keep up with that, even if clocked higher. So will 4c/8t cpus die next generation?

BTW, I know a lot of "PC will get better parts after the consoles are released" talk will come up. Let's just say this: I think it's important to view it from a perspective of people who just upgraded their PCs. People don't have money to buy a new GPU or CPU every year.

What's your opinion? How will next gen consoles impact PC gaming?

Impact? I read your post, and I don't understand what you're asking. The next generation of consoles is about to be released, sure. PC gaming will go on, unaffected.

I've been running SSDs in my PC for years and will continue to do so.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Going to be upgrading my PC whenever the next RTX card is announced. Coupled with a PS5, I'll be good for the next decade or so.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I would agree if the 5700XT had ray tracing capabilities. As it stands skipping this year will basically give away all the market to Nvidia. They have to release a new midrange card.
AMD doesnt have the resources to release many GPUs these days. Lisa Su said big navi was coming to PC this year. So if they decide not to release that i can see you being right. It can only be 1 or the other IMO. With corona its possible we dont get a new GPU at all this year from either side. Have to consider that we dont know the ramifications of it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AMD doesnt have the resources to release many GPUs these days. Lisa Su said big navi was coming to PC this year. So if they decide not to release that i can see you being right. It can only be 1 or the other IMO. With corona its possible we dont get a new GPU at all this year from either side. Have to consider that we dont know the ramifications of it.
if covid19 does affect things, I suspect them to just go for a paper launch and release whatever they can produce, meaning shortages. but I don't think AMD can risk leaving Nvidia to their own devices

and neither can consumers

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See, this is what I don't understand in these discussions. Why would I want to mimic the Series X?

I never said YOU personally would. The thread is about how an insanely powerful (2080 range) console released for a probable $599 price point in late 2020 could effect PC gaming.

In the recent past you could only get this sort of power from a PC but this time it will be available from day one in a console cycle much like the 360 in 2005.

Of course there's a multitude of other reasons to own a PC (I took that as read lol) but in terms of power the PC platform will lose a great deal of its appeal with the release of XBsX and PS5 imo because it will cost twice as much to achieve the same results on PC in terms of graphical fidelity, image quality and resolution.

Again there's tons more reason to get a PC I'm talking specifically about power.

Holy fucking shit PC gamers get touchy when new console hardware is revealed lol... Calm down you'll be able to do 8k/144fps in next gen only third party games before long and retain your bragging rights 🤣

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I know there are fanboys for PC just as in console where they say insufferable things and for some reason feel threatened by console refreshes, but the vast majority look forward to these refreshes, as they ultimately push the industry forward, and let our costly machines do even more than they could before as we slowly wait for devs to milk old hardware.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this even from a PC gamers perspective. It's absurd and happens at the start of every single generation. These same people had a lot of fun and laughs about the "Notebook CPU's / low end GPU's" at the start of last gen yet we still got games that looked like Second Son, Driveclub, Uncharted 4, Horizon, Spider-Man, God of War, GT Sport, Days Gone and Death Stranding.

They seem to be in meltdown at the thought of consoles with really good mid range desktop class 8 core/16 thread CPU's clocked at almost 4Ghz, 9-12 tflops GPU's (closer to 12-15tflops accounting for architectural differences from GCN) and extremely fast SSD's that can be used as very fast RAM pools.

Again PC gamers should be over the moon with joy that the base specs for Xbox and multiplatform development in the coming year will move from the shitty Jaguar CPU's, 1.2 tflop GPU's and slow HDD's to all of the above.

Exciting times for gaming as a whole in extremely dark times in the real World. Peace ✌️

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
So can anyone clarify what the next gen of PC storage is, and when it's available? Or is there nothing beyond NVME, in which case how comparable is that?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I never said YOU personally would. The thread is about how an insanely powerful (2080 range) console released for a probable $599 price point in late 2020 could effect PC gaming.

In the recent past you could only get this sort of power from a PC but this time it will be available from day one in a console cycle much like the 360 in 2005.

Of course there's a multitude of other reasons to own a PC (I took that as read lol) but in terms of power the PC platform will lose a great deal of its appeal with the release of XBsX and PS5 imo because it will cost twice as much to achieve the same results on PC in terms of graphical fidelity, image quality and resolution.

Again there's tons more reason to get a PC I'm talking specifically about power.

Holy fucking shit PC gamers get touchy when new console hardware is revealed lol... Calm down you'll be able to do 8k/144fps in next gen only third party games before long and retain your bragging rights 🤣

It's not about bragging rights. Why do you think that XSX is likely to impact PC gaming and not the other way around? Have you considered the possibility that more expensive hardware could push people towards PC gaming?

Oct 26, 2017
Personally I see it as a huge positive for PCs. When Series X releases the high end market will have to seriously impress.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

I agree that we live in turbulent times so predictions aren't easy. I am certain that Nvidia will go all out and launch a full range of products and I hope that AMD can do the same. If they don't, they're screwed. The high end may get all the headlines but entry-level and mid-range cards move way more units.

If they get sticker shock from the console, why would they spend over twice as much for comparable PC?

Because consoles are moving out of budget hardware territory. If you're spending more money anyway you might decide that a PC is better value.

Last edited:

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
That's good to know, I didn't know if any of it was actually coming to PC at all. Any idea how that will work though? Will it just be something added in an update that somehow makes everything faster? And would it be more taxing on PC, or allow quick resume like Xbox?

It's part of the DirectX package as far as I know, so it'll be part of a Windows update. It's an API and not an automatic thing from what I can tell, so developers will need to explicitly utilize it in any Xbox or DX12 PC games. Its purpose is to make I/O less taxing on CPUs than doing so without the API, so in theory everyone should benefit (or rather, not see any heavy performance impact).

The other component of reducing the CPU overhead of decompression is done with hardware on the XSX that presumably won't be available on PCs, but it'll take benchmarks to figure out how that compares. The console CPUs aren't fully comparable to Desktop PC CPUs, and we're likely 2-3 years off from when we'll see it be more greatly utilized in a broader variety of games, so those high end CPUs that already have more cores, higher clocks, etc. than the XSX's CPU today will become the entry level and mid-range CPUs of tomorrow. It's possible that they expect the overhead to be a greater CPU bottleneck on the console in the long run than it'll be on PCs, and since you can't just buy a new one later, developed hardware to help mitigate that.

I can't find much on how the Quick Resume works but I'm guessing it's not as simple as "you have DirectStorage so now you can do it" and it's something they'd have to coordinate with the Windows development team to implement.

So can anyone clarify what the next gen of PC storage is, and when it's available? Or is there nothing beyond NVME, in which case how comparable is that?

My understanding is that for now things have settled on the NVMe interface and they're upgrading the PCIe bus to attain greater transfer speeds. So "next-gen" basically just means PCIe 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, etc. There are different types of non-volatile memory that can be used for SSDs but I don't think any of it really involves moving consumers away from NVMe/PCIe at the moment.

There's different form factors for NVMe SSDs but I think the most common on PCs will probably remain M.2 2280. The storage for the XSX looks a lot like an M.2 2242 form factor SSD in an enclosure.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I agree that we live in turbulent times so predictions aren't easy. I am certain that Nvidia will go all out and launch a full range of products and I hope that AMD can do the same. If they don't, they're screwed. The high end may get all the headlines but entry-level and mid-range cards move way more units.

Because consoles are moving out of budget hardware territory. If you're spending more money anyway you might decide that a PC is better value.
Consoles being budget territory is a relatively new thing, though, when you look back and consider inflation. Even $599 would still be relatively cheap by that metric. $599 today is the equivalent of around $450 in 2006 when the PS3 launched. Conversely, for the next consoles to match the actual cost of the PS3 in 2006 they would need to cost $770 in 2020 dollars.

Tldr: $599 is reasonable price based on the buying power of a dollar in 2020 and would fall on the normal side of console launches with inflation factored in.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Consoles being budget territory is a relatively new thing, though, when you look back and consider inflation. Even $599 would still be relatively cheap by that metric. $599 today is the equivalent of around $450 in 2006 when the PS3 launched. Conversely, for the next consoles to match the actual cost of the PS3 in 2006 they would need to cost $770 in 2020 dollars.

Tldr: $599 is reasonable price based on the buying power of a dollar in 2020 and would fall on the cheaper side of console launches with inflation factored in.

A fair point, but the same is true for PC hardware which was stupidly expensive in the 90s.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
A fair point, but the same is true for PC hardware which was stupidly expensive in the 90s.
I agree about prices in the 90s, and last gen new consoles launched already weak compared to budget PC builds. But it's not really the same this time. Consumers will see a $599 or possibly even $499 console that competes with, and in some ways may even surpass PCs that cost well over $1000 dollars.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Nvidia releases with much higher frequency than AMD but even they usually stagger the launches of tiers. They will certainly lead with the x80/x70 30 series so depending on the timeline of that, the existing Turing GPUs may remain the competitors of the 5700 series throughout the year. AMD may need big Navi 2 first

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I agree about prices in the 90s, and last gen new consoles launched already weak compared to budget PC builds. But it's not really the same this time. Consumers will see a $599 or possibly even $499 console that competes with, and in some ways may even surpass PCs that cost well over $1000 dollars.

What are you basing the PC prices on though?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
There's different form factors for NVMe SSDs but I think the most common on PCs will probably remain M.2 2280. The storage for the XSX looks a lot like an M.2 2242 form factor SSD in an enclosure.

2242 seems about right. They are compact and bit on the shorter side. Slightly smaller than a Playing Card.

You already have folks getting concerned over Seagate being mentioned for the brand of a context of ignorance using Backblaze HDD failure rates. When folks need to realize SSDs aren't magnetic storage, don't have moving parts. so the commonalities of rate of failures for HDDs does not even apply to SSDs, but this won't stop the kneejerk and people stuck in their preconceived notion, but whatevers.

I couldn't find 2242 Samsung drives, but I did find this - https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-DRAM-Less-Internal-Performance-SB-1342-2TB/dp/B07XVTRFF8

Sabrent 1TB units cost $160, whereas the 2TB units are $300.

The pricing is relevant because I don't think MS is going to undercut very much, and of all the current storage technologies, M.2 NVMe are currently the fastest and also the most expensive.

It also depends on who the supplier is. Micron, Hynix, Samsung seems most logical. Marvell can't be ignored either. I am interested to see a teardown and one of the SSDs removed from it's enclosure to see it's exact form factor.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Again PC gamers should be over the moon with joy that the base specs for Xbox and multiplatform development in the coming year will move from the shitty Jaguar CPU's, 1.2 tflop GPU's and slow HDD's to all of the above.
I do love it when game requirements go up and they stop running at high frame rates unless I spend a lot of money on new hardware.
And when CPU options on PC are only 10-15% faster, which definitely seems like enough to push 30 FPS games to 120 FPS.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This board and its understanding of PC gaming is a forever fountain of hilarity. Keep warring, uninformed soldiers in a pointless battle!

With every new generation of console, it seems like this talk always comes up.
That's because it always does. And every time, these consoles are gonna do some CRAZY SHIT THAT CANNOT BE FATHOMED BY PCs, that will then be matched and surpassed within months of release, if not upon release.

Rinse, repeat.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I only hope for some severe price cuts for dedicated GPUs on PC, especially the entusiast level ones,

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Based on currently available PC hardware or hardware that will be available at launch?
We don't know what will be available at launch, but this is still nothing like last gen because it's launching with a full fat desktop CPU running at desktop speeds as opposed to having a failed mobile architecture in it running at low clocks. The GPU runs at high settings equivalent to 2080 performance on a quick slapdash port without optimizations. It has 1TB NVME SSD.

Even if prices come down, I still don't see PC's meeting performance at equivalent prices.

This is assuming the person doesn't already have a gaming PC.

I'll personally update my gen1 Ryzen for a gen 3 to match the CPU and upgrade my GPU to something equivalent or slightly better when something in my price range can do it. I still expect to spend more than the console costs.

But for the average console player? They'll just buy another console. If this gen wasn't enough for them to jump to PC, next gen definitely won't be.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
We don't know what will be available at launch, but this is still nothing like last gen because it's launching with a full fat desktop CPU running at desktop speeds as opposed to having a failed mobile architecture in it running at low clocks. The GPU runs at high settings equivalent to 2080 performance on a quick slapdash port without optimizations. It has 1TB NVME SSD.

Even if prices come down, I still don't see PC's meeting performance at equivalent prices.

This is assuming the person doesn't already have a gaming PC.

I'll personally update my gen1 Ryzen for a gen 3 to match the CPU and upgrade my GPU to something equivalent or slightly better when something in my price range can do it.

But for the average console player? They'll just buy another console. If this gen wasn't enough for them to jump to PC, next gen definitely won't be.

Well, we'll know soon enough!

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
They have said that the decompression hardware is doing the work of five CPU cores.
They can say a lot of stuff, you know.
There's also the obvious option of not compressing anything for PC.

Even if your PC is only ever used for gaming and absolutely nothing else, I can't imagine that it has less going on in the background than a games console running a streamlined OS specifically built for gaming.
It may have less or it may have more. The point is that on PC when you're not using the resources for background tasks they are readily available for games. On a console something which you're not even using is still consuming the resources allocated to it, because it's a fixed standardized platform.

I don't know what you think scheduler changes are likely to do which could be better than exclusive access to most of the CPU.
I've said what changes.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
They can say a lot of stuff, you know.
There's also the obvious option of not compressing anything for PC.
They seem to be getting 2.0-2.5x compression ratios (2.4GB/s drive, 4.8GB/s with compression, and 6.0GB/s peak).
Without the compression that means games would have to be 2.0-2.5x bigger, and drives would have to be 2.0-2.5x faster to transfer that data in the same amount of time. The higher transfer rate itself will mean additional CPU overhead too.
So a 100GB game now takes up 250GB space and requires a PCIe 4.0 SSD capable of 6.0GB/s peak transfer rates.
Hardware decompression makes a lot of sense.

It may have less or it may have more. The point is that on PC when you're not using the resources for background tasks they are readily available for games. On a console something which you're not even using is still consuming the resources allocated to it, because it's a fixed standardized platform.
The console has a single core dedicated to running the OS, and the OS itself will be doing far less in the background than a general-purpose operating system will be.
I can't really see a better scenario than that.
The alternative is allowing the game to share access to that core - which brings a whole host of problems a developer would much rather avoid (inconsistent performance, for one thing) for the sake of gaining access to maybe half of one core's available time.

I've said what changes.
I can't see why you think that "improve the scheduler" is a better solution than giving the game exclusive access to the cores. That's essentially the best-case scenario of what an improved scheduler could achieve.
Yes, Ryzen, Threadripper, and Epyc have all highlighted issues with Windows' scheduler as core counts have increased - and I agree that it could be further improved, but for gaming that's not going to be better than exclusive access.
You don't want anything else running on the same cores as your game because then background processes have the potential to impact game performance.
I get the impression you had a bad experience with Game Mode on a 4c4t CPU in the past (where I would not have recommended it) and are assuming it was like that for every CPU.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I already use Process Lasso to adjust process affinity for many games on my Ryzen CPU, since that can make a big difference in performance with some of them. The problem is the background processes though.
I'm not sure how you would configure it to automatically move all non-game processes to a specific group of cores, and only do so when the game is the foreground application - or enforce that strictly.
Meanwhile Game Mode did this automatically with a simple option in the Game Bar.
You can create profiles in process lasso. Go crazy and open everything that is not a game(and maybe not game launchers), Set everything to the core affinity, priority and IO priority you want and then restart and repeat to get stragglers. Using core 0-x for the OS works best because you cant get every process off core0 as some are hidden, but the game cant use that core at all anymore to get better frame times, so I put the OS+Misc on the last core so I can have the game use every core.

I can't see why you think that "improve the scheduler" is a better solution than giving the game exclusive access to the cores. That's essentially the best-case scenario of what an improved scheduler could achieve.
There is waste when you cut off full cores to the game when you can just tell the CPU to do those things when its convenient for the game.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
There is waste when you cut off full cores to the game when you can just tell the CPU to do those things when its convenient for the game.
Well yes, that is true. I meant that it's going to be the best option as far as game performance is concerned - you can't beat having exclusive access to the cores it's running on.
Obviously it's not the best solution for maximizing total CPU utilization when you factor in non-game tasks. But that means less-consistent game performance and less available overhead - which is important to have in games. If that was your priority, you wouldn't be enabling Game Mode in the first place though.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see why you think that "improve the scheduler" is a better solution than giving the game exclusive access to the cores.
Because a game doesn't need "exclusive access" to the cores on PC. It needs the OS to allocate the fastest cores for its processes and account for CCX/intracore/offcore latency differences if at all possible.
Again, there's hardly anything running on your typical gaming PC in the background, and when there is - it's a conscious user choice, not the OS making stuff on its own.
In this reality giving some "exclusive access" to physical h/w will lead to a waste of available resources - which is exactly what happened with Game Mode.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Because a game doesn't need "exclusive access" to the cores on PC. It needs the OS to allocate the fastest cores for its processes and account for CCX/intracore/offcore latency differences if at all possible.
You're right - it is important for a scheduler to account for that.
That's why they made those changes in 1903:
y8nxtm08um331zuj5q.png

Again, there's hardly anything running on your typical gaming PC in the background, and when there is - it's a conscious user choice, not the OS making stuff on its own.
I think you're way off with your idea that there is "hardly anything running" on a typical PC.
There is currently "nothing running" on my PC except for Firefox; i.e. it's the only open program on the taskbar. There are 241 other processes running in the background if I exclude Firefox and Process Explorer. Now that might be higher than some, but there's not much I can do about it other than having a dedicated system just for games and nothing else.
A gaming-only PC with absolutely nothing installed, and stripped-down services is far from a typical PC that people use for playing games on.

In this reality giving some "exclusive access" to physical h/w will lead to a waste of available resources - which is exactly what happened with Game Mode.
If nothing is running in the background then none of your resources are being wasted by giving the game exclusive access to cores - because they weren't being used in the first place.
Either the resources are being "wasted" by being reserved for the game, or there was nothing running in the background to interfere with the game anyway so Game Mode was unnecessary. It can't be both.

Game Mode was the right approach to take, but not the optimal solution. It shouldn't have been abandoned and I hope to see it return - hopefully with some configuration options to adjust how resources are reserved/allocated.