Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
So about the same as having an SSD on One X and PS4 Pro. But that was no surprise considering there are no optimizations yet.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Well PS5 is claiming almost instant load times. I was hoping for something similar on XSX. 1-3 second load times is what I was hoping for. Not 43 sec, 38 sec, and various ~20 sec load times. Still better than what is there now but just not what I was hoping for. Of course PS5 load times may be similar and all of the "instant loading" may just be marketing fluff.
I dont think PS5 will have that on BC. if it does that is insane. You could believe it for both systems on games that take more advantage of the architecture.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Well PS5 is claiming almost instant load times. I was hoping for something similar on XSX. 1-3 second load times is what I was hoping for. Not 43 sec, 38 sec, and various ~20 sec load times. Still better than what is there now but just not what I was hoping for. Of course PS5 load times may be similar and all of the "instant loading" may just be marketing fluff.

We'll know when we actually see tech breakdowns for PS5. Any day now.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Oh my god. That's what console players have been dealing with when playing Destiny?

jfc
I'd love to see Mass Effect 2/3 tested. I sat with my brother as he played through those on the 360, after he watched me plat on PC. We clocked his load times after death in part 3 around 1 minute 45 seconds. He was getting massively irritated after having seen me load in under 10 seconds.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
These Xbox series x load times you're seeing here are just backwards compatible games, without any patches at all.

The more instant load times, I assume, will be there for games developed specifically for the new systems.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
The load into MHW took from the character menu took less that 8 seconds, holy shit. I can't wait for this game to be optimized.

Oct 27, 2017
This is so nice to see. I'm mainly excited about how SSDs impact in-game menus. This may seem wild to PC players, but simply bringing up the menu in Destiny 2 or Red Dead Online can feel like an eternity while you're in combat. Watching PC footage of Destiny 2 makes me jealous, as (and this is an overstatement, but honestly not by much) it seems like a PC player can go into their Inventory, change gear and get back into the fight before a console player's Inventory fucking loads.

one

Nov 30, 2017
So x2 - x6 improvement. Is it impressive? I thought SSD is much faster than HDD.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Is it bad I'm getting a next gen console strictly to play last gen games with better load times? Playing Destiny 2 just feels so awful to me right now.

Pretty sure that's what most people are doing at this point, since we're having another somewhat anemic launch window. I'd like to play Spider-Man: MM and I'm looking forward to The Ascent, but I'm really somewhat lukewarm on both of those. Playing current-gen stuff like RDR2/TLOU2/Cyberpunk 2077/etc with improved performance and (perhaps eventually) graphics is much more appealing at this point in time.

Deleted member 32101

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I bought my first SSD in 2009. I couldn't play on consoles since then due to the abysmal loading times and it was always funny how I can never read loading screens on PC, it's too fast. Funny how this is big news now, over a decade later, but good anyway. One more bottleneck of consoles closed. Makes sense, since they are now mostly indistuingishable from PC architecture anyway.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
There are still profiles that are used to manually control what features are/aren't used. These profiles are downloaded when you turn on your Xbox.
But, what about people on submarines?!?! :P

Serious question: Why are the loading times of RDR2 in IGN's video 1:04 but The Verge tested it at 0:52? How can there be a difference of 14 seconds?
Loading different zone?

Storage speed is not the only bottleneck for game loading, the CPU still needs to initialize all the NPCs, scripts, dynamic objects in the enviroment, handle the level load, initialize player, etc.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Nice improvements! I compared a little bit to Stadia (only games in that list in the OP that they share are FFXV, RDR2, and Destiny 2).

Destiny 2, loading a planet:
XSX: 30 seconds
Stadia: 30 seconds...if after loading your character. It takes around 50 seconds if you're already on a planet and going to another one...so not sure exactly what they were doing for their comparison or if it's the same across the board for Series X.

RDR2, resuming your game:
XSX: 38 seconds
Stadia: 24 seconds

FFXV, resuming your game:
XSX: 13 seconds
Stadia: 21 seconds

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Me after seeing the Destiny 2 load times.

tenor.gif

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Someone please test Borderlands 3 already.
I want to know if that initial 2 minute 30 second startup to main menu time disappears...

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Me after seeing the Destiny 2 load times.

tenor.gif
When Stadia first launched that was what I tried to explain here lol. The almost non existent load times make it a new game.

I let me Pro sub expire and tried to play via xCloud on Sept 22...and let's just say I am at peace with waiting until my Series X arrives in November to play again

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 full vid from Tow Warren. This is the normal BC version not the next gen patch one already

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That doens't invalidate at all the point, difference is minimal.

Sony and MS are going full marketing with this one
On the SSD? No, they are not. SSD are wonderful for loading, streaming data and level designs. This are just BC games, calm down until you experience optimized games on your console at home.
Didn't Sony show off Spider-Man on PS5 with less than a second load time?
The demo showed fast travel, which has most assets already loaded.
Sony is claiming almost instant loadtimes on optimized games. Not BC games.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Why are we assuming XSX games will have shorter load times than BC games when they'll have higher resolution assets, more advanced audio and bigger game worlds?