Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously what the fuck how did anyone consider a 2-minute loading time ever acceptable

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
Didn't Sony show off Spider-Man on PS5 with less than a second load time?

was it the retail spiderman game?

those arent next gen exclusive. IE just made for the new console only. like demon souls.

But those are optimized for the console, using Velocity Architecture, not like BC games.

I think people were expecting the games to automatically load as fast as they've seen them do so on the PC versions.

Loading times in PC with SSDs are similar to Series X.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i'm so happy to see games getting better performance just naturaly being installed, MHW seems to have a nicer fps is amazing, really happy with that. can't wait to see games like Ryse or Sunset Overdrive being enhanced

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Didn't Sony show off Spider-Man on PS5 with less than a second load time?

Optimized for PS5 :)

The medium showed instant transition between world too :)

Medium_GIF2_Niwa.gif

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
There is a whitelist of games that work.
Microsoft control which games and which emulation profile is used.
X1 games arent supposed to need emulation

see this post
That is specifically for Xbox and Xbox 360 games. Xbox One titles don't require that.

Beyond that, the Xbox back-compat team have been hard at work since drawing the line under their Xbox 360 and X-enhanced program a while back. It likely comes as no surprise to discover that Series X can technically run the entire Xbox One catalogue, but this time it's done with no emulation layer - it's baked in at the hardware level. Games also benefit from the full CPU and GPU clocks of Series X (Xbox One X effectively delivered 50 per cent of its overall graphics power for back-compat), meaning that the more lacklustre of those performance modes added to many Xbox One X games should hopefully lock to a silky smooth 60fps.

Inside Xbox Series X: the full specs • Eurogamer.net

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México

I don't get it, what is the difference between "optimized but only on Series X" and "optimized for Series X"? both are Series X games, compiled with Series X hardware in mind.

At the end, both will use Velocity Architecture.

X1 games arent supposed to need emulation

see this post

Not emulation per se, but a virtual machine environment with special treatment. The system add things like HDR for all games.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I don't get it, what is the difference between "optimized but only on Series X" and "optimized for Series X"? both are Series X games, compiled with Series X hardware in mind.

they are different. a game made for cross gen vs a game made for the new systems. the cross gen game will have old gen descopes particularly would be in gameplay, vs textures, resolution, framerate that the new gen wouldnt have. Unless the game is made in a way where they downport which is what MS recommends.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
was it the retail spiderman game?

But those are optimized for the console, using Velocity Architecture, not like BC games.

Loading times in PC with SSDs are similar to Series X.
No idea, it was said to be Spider-Man PS4 at least, but I googled it and it looked like they loaded a level, no logos etc. And it loaded fast on Pro too so I guess it can't be compared to what we see here, 8.1 sec on Pro, 0.8 sec on PS5

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Not emulation per se, but a virtual machine environment with special treatment. The system add things like HDR for all games.

that Series X can technically run the entire Xbox One catalogue, but this time it's done with no emulation layer - it's baked in at the hardware level.
So this would suggest no VM.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
This pic is from the One X version and it lines up with my experience with playing the game on a HDD.

I6AA4Iv.png

Series X - 36s

One X w/SSD - 1:15s

One X w/HDD - 2:14s
red dead load time man that's some shit

Nah that's about right. Sometimes it's longer. It depends on the area of the map that you're loading into usually, but it can range in the 2-3 minute.

I still obsessively play RDR2, I've spent many nights staring at the spinning gun
lol I'm gonna have to start the game again and time the loading, it would impressive I guess that I never felt it taking 2 minutes tbh.
Though I'm looking looking forward for not having to sit through all these loading screens next-gen, in games like The Outer Worlds sitting through two loading screens after dying or loading in the wrong place was really annoying.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
they are different. a game made for cross gen vs a game made for the new systems. the cross gen game will have old gen descopes particularly would be in gameplay, vs textures, resolution, framerate that the new gen wouldnt have. Unless the game is made in a way where they downport which is what MS recommends.

What I mean is taking care of loading times using VA. For a system level, both are Series X|S games, not Xbox One games.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
One thing I'm really curious to see is if the SSD will help when downloading games. When I moved last year I got access to gigabit internet, but downloads cap out at about 200mbps on my One X to my USB 3.0 SSD. I assume that this is due to write speed limits on the SSD, so I'd really like to see if downloading to a PCIe4 SSD will help speed the downloads up.

Yes, it should. A small caveat is how the onboard S/DRAM cache will function because saturating it can lead to bottlenecking of write speed (which is rare and happens after 10s of GB of data has been written continuously).

As an anecdote, I have both a gigabit internet connection and a ps4pro w/ samsung 860EVO SSD (1GB LPDDR4 DRAM). Compared One X where my download speed tops out at around 130Mbps or16.25MB/s, my PS4 can download and write speeds anywhere at speeds between 320Mbps or 40MB/s all the up to 800Mbps or 100MB/s.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Why do we keep jumping in circles in here. There's like ahalf a thread full of post telling people it isn't optimized and the other half pretending to be sad it's not as fast as built from the ground up next gen games.

Im happy as fuck MHW saw a drastic improvement though.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
That's a huge improvement in load times. No longer do we have to wait an eternity for something like RDR2 to load.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
No test of GTA 5 Online? On PS4 I can get through most of a 3-4 minute song before it actually loads

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seem good so far - not far off what an external SSD drive does attached to a One X though is it? Hopefully when some stuff gets optimized it'll be even better though. Interested in the Control one through - 10 seconds sounds like to the menus, not the actual game!

yeah that's what I'm curious about, I've been using an external SSD for my One X and if the internal SSD doesn't have that much of an improvement then it's not worth grabbing the proprietary expansion storage to me since I'll just keep using my existing external SSD

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning on getting a PS5, but it terms of boot loading time, I feel like I'm going to end up being slightly underwhelmed since I already have a 1 TB SSD in my PS4 Pro. Just from that alone, I received a pretty noticeable boost in boot up time across the board.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
These seem like pretty substantial differences to me. I'm quite baffled as to what people were expecting.
Well PS5 is claiming almost instant load times. I was hoping for something similar on XSX. 1-3 second load times is what I was hoping for. Not 43 sec, 38 sec, and various ~20 sec load times. Still better than what is there now but just not what I was hoping for. Of course PS5 load times may be similar and all of the "instant loading" may just be marketing fluff.