• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Just got around playing The Division today.

I'm not happy with the One X update, there's visible screen tearing in almost every enemy encounter I've had so far and it even drops below the 30fps mark. What a disappointing patch.
That's odd, I've had screen tearing but it's been very rare. I only saw it briefly when I was leaving one of the outposts after that it's been pretty good.

I'll play a bit more later to see if I can trigger that.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
That's really odd, I've played a few hours and never experienced screen tearing like that.

Yeah, I'm going to give it another shot later tonight and see if a fresh reboot shows a difference.

That's odd, I've had screen tearing but it's been very rare. I only saw it briefly when I was leaving one of the outposts after that it's been pretty good.

I'll play a bit more later to see if I can trigger that.

I am hoping for a similar experience, let's see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
The enriched visual is not using dynamic resolution. It uses a form of sparse rendering to achieve 4k resolution.
My whole life has been a lie...

I haven't done this in a while, so here's the running tally of all X Enhanced titles.

Xbox One: 130
Xbox 360: 17
OG Xbox: 32

For a total of 179 titles since the Xbox One X came out... wait for it...

179 days!

giphy.gif

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Update on The Division (fresh boot):

I played the game for about 2 hours today, only noticed a single screen tear and frame-rate felt consistent.

I guess the game doesn't function properly after using rest mode?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Update on The Division (fresh boot):

I played the game for about 2 hours today, only noticed a single screen tear and frame-rate felt consistent.

I guess the game doesn't function properly after using rest mode?

Good to hear it was better after the restart. And it wouldn't surprise me re: rest mode, though I know from the past games with known problems with that (like FF XV) weren't the same for everyone. Which makes it even trickier to nail down, lol.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Good to hear it was better after the restart. And it wouldn't surprise me re: rest mode, though I know from the past games with known problems with that (like FF XV) weren't the same for everyone. Which makes it even trickier to nail down, lol.

Yeah, I'm just going to refrain from playing anything after using rest mode. Thanks for your help.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody play Halo 4 backwards compat on One? My question is does matchmaking on 360 put everyone playing Halo 4 on 360 and One (back compat,) as well as MCC, all into one MP pool? or are the player counts segregated? Player base for this game is woefully small on 360

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody play Halo 4 backwards compat on One? My question is does matchmaking on 360 put everyone playing Halo 4 on 360 and One (back compat,) as well as MCC, all into one MP pool? or are the player counts segregated? Player base for this game is woefully small on 360
MP is separate for the 360/BC and MCC versions. Same with Halo 3.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

You are technically playing the 360 version of Halo 4. So thats the playerbase.
MCC is its own game.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Any of the BC games are on the regular 360 servers, but MCC is a totally different pool, so they're split.

Ole No Bones

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm still blown away that Rocket League isn't enhanced for a while when it has a PC and PS4 pro version already. Doesn't seem like it should take so long.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Hey guys and girls curious question and I hope someone can answer.

Recently on ERA the admins sat down with Insomniac and the question of could Sunset Overdrove get enhanced was brought up. They basically said they had no plans I believe.

My question is, at what point could Microsoft step in and make the game 4k themselves?

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hey guys and girls curious question and I hope someone can answer.

Recently on ERA the admins sat down with Insomniac and the question of could Sunset Overdrove get enhanced was brought up. They basically said they had no plans I believe.

My question is, at what point could Microsoft step in and make the game 4k themselves?
Never because Sunset Overdrive is an IP owned by Insomniac Games and not MS.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Never because Sunset Overdrive is an IP owned by Insomniac Games and not MS.
But Red Dead and everything else Microsoft don't own...
Well, i think that is a valid question since they do the same to 360 games (via emulation). Theoretically is possible but it will not happen unless on a BC for the next xbox.
Ahh ok that makes more sense...I thought if it's on Game Pass that would make it fair game. Thank you for the response.

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
But Red Dead and everything else Microsoft don't own...

Ahh ok that makes more sense...I thought if it's on Game Pass that would make it fair game. Thank you for the response.

The developers don't actually have a say in terms of enhancing 360 games because MS doesn't change any of the code of the game. Ms have a method that enhances old 360 games without actually touching them.

Xbox one games need to be "touched" and therefore has to go through the developer

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well, i think that is a valid question since they do the same to 360 games (via emulation). Theoretically is possible but it will not happen unless on a BC for the next xbox.
360 games are emulated which allows to inject the layer that manipulates the resolution as those games were not as demanding from a specs perspective as current games. Xbox One games run native. A developer has to update the game to the latest XDK version in order to increase resolution.

To do the same with un-patched Xbox One games you would need a similar emulation layer for those games. But as Xbox One games make use of the full CPU spec of a OG Xbox One that layer would introduce performance issues because it would definitely require additional CPU resources and I am not sure if the up-clock of the CPU in the X is sufficient to do it.. In result for example frame times would possibly suffer by default.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
360 games are emulated which allows to inject the layer that manipulates the resolution as those games were not as demanding from a specs perspective as current games. Xbox One games run native. A developer has to update the game to the latest XDK version in order to increase resolution.

To do the same with un-patched Xbox One games you would need a similar emulation layer for those games. But as Xbox One games make use of the full CPU spec of a OG Xbox One that layer would introduce performance issues because it would definitely require additional CPU resources and I am not sure if the up-clock of the CPU in the X is sufficient to do it.. In result for example frame times would possibly suffer by default.
Have a source on this? Afaik this isn't how rendering works, it's feasible to do the same thing with BC games as it is with unpatched Xbox One games. In the same way that they force VSync and 16x AF on unpatched games. On PC you can force games to render at higher resolutions that the game doesn't support at the rendering level with DirectX. It's not a foolproof solution however and can cause visual issues but it's not impossible. I feel Microsoft would rather just let devs manage their own games that aren't legacy software yet.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

360 games aren't emulated. They think they run on a real 360, the emulation happens on a system level. The reason why they can change resolution and LODs is because they know when these commands are executed and just change it in runtime to the maximum. The game thinks it is still running in its original resolution.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
360 games aren't emulated. They think they run on a real 360, the emulation happens on a system level. The reason why they can change resolution and LODs is because they know when these commands are executed and just change it in runtime to the maximum. The game thinks it is still running in its original resolution.
Emulators makes games think they run on original hardware, so games running in an emulator are emulated (through the emulator).

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

The BC layer (emulation supported by hw) offers the capabilities that games think they run on a 360 and at their original resolution. Inside that layer 360 API calls are translated into Xbox One API calls including if enabled the translation between original resolution and target resolution (via a virtual GPU in software) and other adjustments specifically for the game.

Each BC game comes with its own BC layer that encapsulates the 360 game to achieve the following two things: That the Xbox One thinks it runs a Xbox One game and the 360 game thinks it runs on a 360.

But this is not on a system level, this runs in the ERA (game partition).

Read for yourself: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry--xbox-one-x-back-compat-how-does-it-actually-work

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Have a source on this? Afaik this isn't how rendering works, it's feasible to do the same thing with BC games as it is with unpatched Xbox One games. In the same way that they force VSync and 16x AF on unpatched games. On PC you can force games to render at higher resolutions that the game doesn't support at the rendering level with DirectX. It's not a foolproof solution however and can cause visual issues but it's not impossible. I feel Microsoft would rather just let devs manage their own games that aren't legacy software yet.
For the first part there was an extensive article on eurogamer.net how it works. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...x-one-x-back-compat-how-does-it-actually-work

For the second part this is how it would normally work in software. You need another (abstraction) layer of software that executes the translation from original resolution into the higher target resolution. New software layers means more CPU time as that (layer) code must be executed on top of the normal game code.

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Having loads of fun with X-Com 2 this free play weekend. Scales up nicely to the X power. Barely runs at 1080p on my PC but no issue on the X.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Playing God of War all weekend made me go back and install Rise of the Tomb Raider because the games are so similar in structure. It looks absolutely incredible on the One X. I 100% completed it the first time around, but I might be doing it again now.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Having loads of fun with X-Com 2 this free play weekend. Scales up nicely to the X power. Barely runs at 1080p on my PC but no issue on the X.
My experiences were otherwise, while I love XCOM, the performance was awful on my X. Especially when the Lost turn up in numbers. I guess this can be attributed to the CPU dependent nature of this game.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Yep,had a great time with it also over the weekend,just a few hours left to decide if I pick this up at the deal price or For Honor...I noticed a lot of small skips/stutters on the X though and long pause between switches to the Alien turn or pauses while they change or load a mindmerge and stuff like that...otherwise it looks and plays great,as does For Honor.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
So when are the Darksiders game patches launching?

Definitely want to replay those titles in 4K, I feel like they've been in development for so long!

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
Playing God of War all weekend made me go back and install Rise of the Tomb Raider because the games are so similar in structure. It looks absolutely incredible on the One X. I 100% completed it the first time around, but I might be doing it again now.
I did the exact same thing. Started playing God of War and I was reminded of RotTR so much that I went back and started it over (only got halfway through when it first came out). Yesterday, a week later, I finished Tomb Raider at 4k and it looked really good the whole way through. That very last area really reminded me of a Dark Souls environment.

B4D1E

Nov 11, 2017
With Campo Santo being bought by Valve, what does that mean for the Firewatch 4k enhanced patch? Did anyone hear something? I bought last time it was on sale but am waiting for it being patched before starting it.

Oct 30, 2017
Question: on the store, it says "You can plau this game for now or buy it to own." There is an install button and a buy to own button. but is also shows a 35$ price tag on the main page. If I click install, wiil I be charged for it? I remember downloading it when it got on GWG. Can I redownload it again? Thanks!

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question: on the store, it says "You can plau this game for now or buy it to own." There is an install button and a buy to own button. but is also shows a 35$ price tag on the main page. If I click install, wiil I be charged for it? I remember downloading it when it got on GWG. Can I redownload it again? Thanks!
Yes, you can download again anytime it says Install, and no you won't be charged. You'll know when you're about to be charged because it'll prompt you for payment.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
My experiences were otherwise, while I love XCOM, the performance was awful on my X. Especially when the Lost turn up in numbers. I guess this can be attributed to the CPU dependent nature of this game.

That's WotC though which indeed has terrible performance
Base X2 is the one on free play days

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. Why are they giving an option to Buy though? Is it only for people who had not originally downloaded it? Otherwise I don't get the logic...
It's because you don't own the license to the game. If you let your Gold expire, you can't play the game anymore. Buying it allows you to own the license and play it regardless if you have Gold or not.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. Why are they giving an option to Buy though? Is it only for people who had not originally downloaded it? Otherwise I don't get the logic...

Even though you can play the games with Gold or Game Pass, people might want to permanently buy some for the account. Sometimes it's on sale, or they're planning to lapse/cancel the membership, but it allows you do either. I thought the "You can play this game for now or buy it to own" language was clear, but yeah, it's nothing to worry about when you're playing it with your membership.