Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope this is not forbidden - we (two-person core team from Bulgaria) are releasing our Xbox One game... today. The game is called Elea (it is a first-person old-school sci-fi adventure/walking sim) and have a full Xbox One X support. I think the fans of writers like Stanislaw Lem and Arthur Clarke can potentially appreciate the game for what and how the narrative is presented.

The game is using Unreal 4 and it is also console exclusive to Xbox. For both versions, we are using dynamic resolution, but on X we can hit native 4K in Quality mode at a very steady 30FPS (the game is using fully dynamic lighting model - there isn't any static light in the game at all). Performance mode is also using dynamic resolution, but the framerate is targeting 60FPS (so overall the resolution is lower).

Compared to the original Xbox One, X version is using better shadows, better AA, better anisotropic filtering, far better screen space reflections, and post-process profile.

We made a specific profile for the Xbox One X version, tailored to the X hardware and it is very close to ultra settings on PC. In Performance mode, we are lowering just the resolution (for a very steady 60FPS, minus when the game is streaming higher chunks of data and when we "autosave") and nothing else. All the fx, shadows and so one are the same as in the Quality mode.

So I bought this to support you and generally acknowledge your presence here. I quite like the narrative so far but visually it's almost unplayable. The chromatic aberration is painful and I'm not sure if you realised but on a 4k screen the text is so small it is unreadable :(

The textures and effects look good from what I can tell and I love the sound effects but can't recommend it until a CA toggle is added and the font is enlarged.

Koralsky

Oct 28, 2017
So I bought this to support you and generally acknowledge your presence here. I quite like the narrative so far but visually it's almost unplayable. The chromatic aberration is painful and I'm not sure if you realised but on a 4k screen the text is so small it is unreadable :(

The textures and effects look good from what I can tell and I love the sound effects but can't recommend it until a CA toggle is added and the font is enlarged.

Thank you for your feedback - there will be another update and we are already thinking about giving the player the choice to turn on and off some of the post process effects - CA, motion blur, etc. The hud will also be updated to fit better on 4K screen.

Thank you for this! I'd much rather a dev tell us what enhancements are for accuracy. What would you say the average resolution winds up being for Performance Mode?

And added to the list!

Sadly I can't tell you the exact numbers at the moment, but in performance mode, the resolution is gravitating between 1080p to 1440p. With the eventual option to turn on and off some of the post FX, there can be some improvements in the resolution scale in Performance mode, because Elea is post-process heavy game.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I have tried replacing the thermal paste on my X to liquid metal but it never seems to help and my X overheats.
My biggest issue is I don't think the heat sink makes a close enough full contact to the cpu.
Also I'd love to know what MS are using for the thermal pads, it's like a really soft foam and I'm thinking the harder pads I've switched to are not working. I've tried 1mm and then 2mm but they both interfere with how the heat sink contacts the processor.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
So do we think Microsoft has stopped doing 'X' enhancements for 360 games? Nothing since all the way back in April :(
It's Fable II's 10 year anniversary and they really need to patch in 4K, that and fix the framerrate because that game has never had its performance right in BC.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just for fun, I played some BF4 right after playing the BFV beta. It's a damn shame older games won't get updates. Maybe we can hope for something a la Heutchy method but for Xbox One games.
Highly doubtful unless Microsoft goes the emulation route of Xbox One games similar to 360 and OG Xbox games, in which case they would have go through them individually and test them for their new hardware which wouldn't make all Xbox One games compatible at launch.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Highly doubtful unless Microsoft goes the emulation route of Xbox One games similar to 360 and OG Xbox games, in which case they would have go through them individually and test them for their new hardware which wouldn't make all Xbox One games compatible at launch.

The Xbox One itself is running virtualised anyway, so half the work is done this time. The games don't actually know or care too much about what hardware they are running on, just that they have access to the power they need to work

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

Native 4K
HDR
Dolby Atmos
2 settings:
High resolution or High framerate
Enchanced Texture Resolution

So amazing for what they done.

I want to finish Rise of the Tomb Raider but i Realllly dont want to do any side quests and sometimes tracking through the open areas feels like a waste of time for me personally since i just want to finish the story. i think im only 20% done and i feel like playing is a bit of a chore :( .... plz help with any suggestions lol!

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
As far as I know emulation isn't required for them to intercept drawcalls and render them at 3x.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I wish that trailer was HDR.

The only company I've seen who has made an actual HDR game trailer was Ninja Theory for Hellbade

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hope this is not forbidden - we (two-person core team from Bulgaria) are releasing our Xbox One game... today. The game is called Elea (it is a first-person old-school sci-fi adventure/walking sim) and have a full Xbox One X support. I think the fans of writers like Stanislaw Lem and Arthur Clarke can potentially appreciate the game for what and how the narrative is presented.

The game is using Unreal 4 and it is also console exclusive to Xbox. For both versions, we are using dynamic resolution, but on X we can hit native 4K in Quality mode at a very steady 30FPS (the game is using fully dynamic lighting model - there isn't any static light in the game at all). Performance mode is also using dynamic resolution, but the framerate is targeting 60FPS (so overall the resolution is lower).

Compared to the original Xbox One, X version is using better shadows, better AA, better anisotropic filtering, far better screen space reflections, and post-process profile.

We made a specific profile for the Xbox One X version, tailored to the X hardware and it is very close to ultra settings on PC. In Performance mode, we are lowering just the resolution (for a very steady 60FPS, minus when the game is streaming higher chunks of data and when we "autosave") and nothing else. All the fx, shadows and so one are the same as in the Quality mode.

Looks really great!
Hopefully we'll see more great games from Bulgaria, I read it's becoming some what of a tech hub.

Does Elea any HDR support currently?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I am LTTP with this, but just started up Rise of the Tomb Raider. There are two settings that say it does 4k. There is the native 4k setting, then there is an enhanced visuals settings, but on that one it says it does 4k resolution and other enhancements. Is the "Enhanced Visuals" dynamic 4k?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I am LTTP with this, but just started up Rise of the Tomb Raider. There are two settings that say it does 4k. There is the native 4k setting, then there is an enhanced visuals settings, but on that one it says it does 4k resolution and other enhancements. Is the "Enhanced Visuals" dynamic 4k?
Yeah. Or abit lower then 4K.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Or abit lower then 4K.

Thanks! What did you guys play it with? Enhanced or Native?

Loving the game so far and it is gorgeous, but some slowdown and screen tearing in the upper 1/3 of the screen when playing in 4k Native. Have not tried much of the Enhanced Visuals since I was not sure what it was doing.

Looking forward to Shadow since it seems like they did a lot of specific work with the "X" version.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I thought DF's video said that "enhanced visuals" was checkerboarded 4K.

edit: @6:10 if it doesn't take you there

Mr. Linneman in the video said:
Essentially what we're seeing here is a reconstruction technique similar to checkerboard rendering used to produce a pixel count of 2160p just like on the [PS4] Pro. Unlike the Pro, however, this is used in conjunction with the "enriched" mode...

This is from the demo and a couple months later, Digital Foundry had another video in which Richard Leadbetter quoted Mr. Linneman (and added "and he's played this game more than anyone") as saying that the Native 4K mode as being the most "consistent performer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4WIoHd9V0U&feature=youtu.be&t=374

I think this might be the last time they talked about the Xbox One X version of this specific game.

last edit: added time in case timecode skip doesn't work or something, also I misspelled Mr. Leadbetter's name.

Last edited:

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Yea, I wish BF4 had any type of upgrade. I think it's still 720p?

Yeah, me too. It's still 720, thankfully it's much smoother on the X.

Really hoping we see this with the next Xbox. Though at the rate we're getting Enhanced 360 titles I'm not getting my hopes up.

I don't know anything about software or hardware, it was just wishful thinking on my behalf.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Thanks! What did you guys play it with? Enhanced or Native?

Loving the game so far and it is gorgeous, but some slowdown and screen tearing in the upper 1/3 of the screen when playing in 4k Native. Have not tried much of the Enhanced Visuals since I was not sure what it was doing.

Looking forward to Shadow since it seems like they did a lot of specific work with the "X" version.
The enriched mode looks a lot better than the Native 4K mode, but it does have more frame rate drops.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shadow Of The Tomb Raider looks insane in that video, will definitely be one of the showcases of the console from what we're seeing. Hopefully the framerate is good even in visuals mode, because I think I'll go for that in such a single player experience.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Same here. From someone who has been playing the series since the original, it is unbelievable how far we've come graphically. If this was a fast shooter I'd consider framerate but it is TR, I want to enjoy the details as I play.
that video DF just released about all of the technical enhancements from Rise to Shadow is a treat. Still on the fence if i will buy on launch or wait a little for a sale ...

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Not a fan of the performance of Shadow of the Tomb Raider on 1X to be honest. Both modes drop frames and have screen tearing. 30fps mode has bad input lag and the 60fps mode struggles big time in every hub area.

Oct 26, 2017
Hey people, according to Reddit Rime had received a X patch. There I found a link to the official Xbox page and sure enough it says 4K/HDR there.

But I booted it up and it sure as hell isn't enhanced nor HDR. Odd.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Hey people, according to Reddit Rime had received a X patch. There I found a link to the official Xbox page and sure enough it says 4K/HDR there.

But I booted it up and it sure as hell isn't enhanced nor HDR. Odd.
I think Rime has been on the list for a lllooonnnggg time now. It "coming soon" before, but I see it says "available now." Maybe we'll see the patch hit here pretty soon?

You can sort your games list by "Last Updated." Does Rime even show up at the top for you?

Oct 26, 2017
I think Rime has been on the list for a lllooonnnggg time now. It "coming soon" before, but I see it says "available now." Maybe we'll see the patch hit here pretty soon?

You can sort your games list by "Last Updated." Does Rime even show up at the top for you?

When I sort it at the X enhanced list, nope. Only for Xbox One. Which is correct because I installed it yesterday.

dieter

Oct 27, 2017
V-Rally 4 can be added to the list, Microsoft lists it as 4k UHD, no HDR. I believe it matches WRC 7, since it is the same developers and engine, although the framerate is a slightly more stable 30 fps, at least from my experience.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Was Infinite Warfare ever patched to optimize its framerate on X? I know Digital Foundry first post-enhancement analysis showed that it still had some small dips below 60fps, just wondering if Infinity Ward ever went back and tidied it up to match the locked 60fps on PS4 Pro.

Seen it go on sale a few times for around $20, which is pretty great considering the pretty awesome campaign.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
Diablo 3 is on sale and I was wondering how much of an upgrade the X enhanced version is vs the base ps4 version that I've played.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
V-Rally 4 can be added to the list, Microsoft lists it as 4k UHD, no HDR. I believe it matches WRC 7, since it is the same developers and engine, although the framerate is a slightly more stable 30 fps, at least from my experience.
I've found that the vast majority of the time if Microsoft lists a game as "4K" on their list it means 2160p. There are a few oddballs where that is not the case, in their list, but it seems to be the exception and not the rule.

I'll add it to the list. Thanks for the heads-up!

Diablo 3 is on sale and I was wondering how much of an upgrade the X enhanced version is vs the base ps4 version that I've played.
It hits 2160p the vast majority of the time. Digital Foundry has a write up about it. The game plays so damned well with a controller, if you like the game it's easily worth the sale price.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Was Infinite Warfare ever patched to optimize its framerate on X? I know Digital Foundry first post-enhancement analysis showed that it still had some small dips below 60fps, just wondering if Infinity Ward ever went back and tidied it up to match the locked 60fps on PS4 Pro.

Seen it go on sale a few times for around $20, which is pretty great considering the pretty awesome campaign.
No it never was but it's not too bad, it's mostly just screen tear that's the issue. I'm waiting on the next Xbox to replay this one so I don't have to deal with the flaws it has right now.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It never got fixed but it's not too bad, the main issue was that the PS4 Pro version had better frame rate and no tearing so clearly they pushed the resolution too far.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017

There have been a few patches since then but it's hard to say whether these addressed the performance/tearing issues as I haven't tried the stressed areas in the campaign mode.

I'll see if I can boot it up during the beginning to see if it still has the tearing at least.

Seems RiME got removed from official X enhanced list. :(

So did Bulletstorm, which none of the devs have ever confirmed to be working on an X patch so I'm not surprised.
Yeah it's a bummer but at least they're not leading people on anymore. Bulletstorm still looks pretty crisp for a 1080p title though and performance is quite good.

Rime on the other hand sadly still has framerate issues even on the X. A bit hard to tell what the resolution is but seems like possibly 1080p, it has a bit of softness to the image and edges so maybe it's using temporal anti-aliasing. It's actually kind of close to Abzu in image quality which doesn't look too bad on XBO or the X but the art would obviously stand out much better at a higher resolution.

Edit: So looking at Digital Foundry's analysis on the PS4/Pro versions of Rime it looks like it's not a well optimized game on any of the console platforms & these versions are at 1080p resolution.

Last edited: