ne1weknow

Oct 4, 2018
I have now moved over from retail XBSX2 to Dev mode AetherSX2 (as recommended by people on the discord since XBSX2 is "behind" and maybe was more available / practical for retail mode).

I might not have that quite right but whilst I have PS2 emulation up and running on Xbox again practically as before, plus the addition of retro achievements is cool, I noticed a couple of steps back - can't figure out how to enable vibration and Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero now has a graphical glitch specifically for the cars when viewing them in the UI - in races it's all fine though.

There is a PCSX2 wiki entry which indicates someone had a similar experience at one point but they were on Windows so the fix talking to change of drivers is not completely relatable to Xbox.

Anyone noticed this glitch and managed to fix it? Are XBSX2 and AetherSX2 based on different versions of PCSX2 perhaps?

Maybe I just run them both side by side and use which emulators works best - that's not crazy is it? Whilst there is cross compatibility right now with memory cards and save states, I can just foresee heartache at some point and I'd like to avoid if I can.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone had an issue with the Dolphin emulator where it seems to open slower everytime you open the app? Seems like it's taking forever for the app to open now whereas before it was almost instantaneous.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know if you can stream your Xbox SS/SX via xbxplay (or other android app)? I have a logi G Cloud I use to stream my PS5 but wondering if Dev mode emulation allows for it too. TIA.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had an issue with the Dolphin emulator where it seems to open slower everytime you open the app? Seems like it's taking forever for the app to open now whereas before it was almost instantaneous.
I got Dev mode setup on my Series X over the weekend, and I encountered TONS of issues with that latest UWP release of Dolphin (v1.14).

The app booted immediately when I first launched it, but every subsequent launch after setting up my file paths would hang on a black screen or seemingly freeze my console. I thought I had majorly fucked something up, but all my other apps worked fine. I eventually realized it was just taking FOREVER to open for some reason. So I uninstalled it and went back 2 releases (v1.12), and now it works just fine like when I had Dolphin on retail ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got Dev mode setup on my Series X over the weekend, and I encountered TONS of issues with that latest UWP release of Dolphin (v1.14).

The app booted immediately when I first launched it, but every subsequent launch after setting up my file paths would hang on a black screen or seemingly freeze my console. I thought I had majorly fucked something up, but all my other apps worked fine. I eventually realized it was just taking FOREVER to open for some reason. So I uninstalled it and went back 2 releases (v1.12), and now it works just fine like when I had Dolphin on retail ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Good to know. I'll go back and download v1.12 as well. I had to go back to using RetroArch because of how slow Dolphin was going. Glad I'm not the only one lol

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I dunno what it is but I feel like all the apps I've tried have had weird performance losses in dev mode.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I dunno what it is but I feel like all the apps I've tried have had weird performance losses in dev mode.
Have you set them as games in their properties? If you leave them designated as APPS they only use a part of the Xbox power. Setting them as Games gives them mutli CPU core access and full GPU access. You can set an override in the Dev mode settings so all apps are recognized as Games.

ne1weknow

Oct 4, 2018
I have now moved over from retail XBSX2 to Dev mode AetherSX2 (as recommended by people on the discord since XBSX2 is "behind" and maybe was more available / practical for retail mode).

I might not have that quite right but whilst I have PS2 emulation up and running on Xbox again practically as before, plus the addition of retro achievements is cool, I noticed a couple of steps back - can't figure out how to enable vibration and Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero now has a graphical glitch specifically for the cars when viewing them in the UI - in races it's all fine though.

There is a PCSX2 wiki entry which indicates someone had a similar experience at one point but they were on Windows so the fix talking to change of drivers is not completely relatable to Xbox.

Anyone noticed this glitch and managed to fix it? Are XBSX2 and AetherSX2 based on different versions of PCSX2 perhaps?

Maybe I just run them both side by side and use which emulators works best - that's not crazy is it? Whilst there is cross compatibility right now with memory cards and save states, I can just foresee heartache at some point and I'd like to avoid if I can.

PS I know I can just change to software renderering temporarily and that's what I've been doing when I want to purchase cars or do car modding which then renders the game as a blurry mess but the glitch is gone.

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Have you set them as games in their properties? If you leave them designated as APPS they only use a part of the Xbox power. Setting them as Games gives them mutli CPU core access and full GPU access. You can set an override in the Dev mode settings so all apps are recognized as Games.

Huh... is that the reason? I'll have to make sure I do that next time I launch in.

ne1weknow

Oct 4, 2018

The two recommended settings (do this remotely from the web portal)

View: https://imgur.com/a/YUYVLMg

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
If I dedicate a console to emulation in Dev mode; do I ever need to boot into Retail, or can it effectively be a one-time switch?

I'm interested if I can run the console in Dev mode full-time, but not so much if I need to perform regular "maintenance" of switching between modes…

ne1weknow

Oct 4, 2018
If I dedicate a console to emulation in Dev mode; do I ever need to boot into Retail, or can it effectively be a one-time switch?

I'm interested if I can run the console in Dev mode full-time, but not so much if I need to perform regular "maintenance" of switching between modes…

The system tells you that your games and apps won't be accessible if you switch. Freaked me out a little until I realised it's only referring to a temporary state whilst in dev mode. The switch isn't that painful and the "Safe exit" app makes it even easier.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Took me a while, but I managed to get Dev mode running on my Series S. I'm not going to install it on Series X for the time being because I'm worried it might brick the console. I don't need to fiddle with FTP solutions if I don't want, right?

Got all the emulators installed through remote acess and games on a flash drive.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
Got it working on dev mode over the weekend. Wasn't too bad. I'll check it out more next weekend

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The system tells you that your games and apps won't be accessible if you switch. Freaked me out a little until I realised it's only referring to a temporary state whilst in dev mode. The switch isn't that painful and the "Safe exit" app makes it even easier.

What the heck is "safe exit"?

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It's a UWP app you can install that allows you to easily exit out of dev mode without having to worry about unticking that checkbox that wipes out all of your sideloaded apps. Makes things nice and streamlined going back and forth between retail and dev mode.
It is a nice little app you can open that just immediately restarts the console back to retail mode and saves all your dev mode settings making sure nothing is wiped.

ooh nice. Might have to grab that. I've already almost quit out without unchecking the box a couple of times already lmao.

Flink

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having so much trouble with Dolphin. I've tried many versions (started when they first introduced the GUI all the way up to the current ver) and I just cannot get things to behave.

First off, the GUI is extremely laggy/buggy. Even after scrolling through the list, which temp improves the scrolling speed, quitting and reopening the app presents the slowness again. IF the games even show up. Which leads me to...

The paths I set in the Settings (for games and the general "Dolphin" folder) reset upon quitting/reopening at app.

No issues at all with any other emus. It's just Dolphin.

Is this happening to anyone else? Any advice? Could it be the thumb drive I am using (this one: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BAR-Plus-128GB-MUF-128BE3/dp/B07BPK3XWW)?

edit: Using a Series S if that means anything. Cannot put games and such on internal drive via Durango, unfortunately.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having so much trouble with Dolphin. I've tried many versions (started when they first introduced the GUI all the way up to the current ver) and I just cannot get things to behave.

First off, the GUI is extremely laggy/buggy. Even after scrolling through the list, which temp improves the scrolling speed, quitting and reopening the app presents the slowness again. IF the games even show up. Which leads me to...

The paths I set in the Settings (for games and the general "Dolphin" folder) reset upon quitting/reopening at app.

No issues at all with any other emus. It's just Dolphin.

Is this happening to anyone else? Any advice? Could it be the thumb drive I am using (this one: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BAR-Plus-128GB-MUF-128BE3/dp/B07BPK3XWW)?

edit: Using a Series S if that means anything. Cannot put games and such on internal drive via Durango, unfortunately.
Same. I downloaded an older version yesterday and it seemed to have fixed the issue and today I couldn't get a single game to play. Also on Series S.

Flink

Oct 27, 2017
Same. I downloaded an older version yesterday and it seemed to have fixed the issue and today I couldn't get a single game to play. Also on Series S.

Glad I am not crazy! I am not a fan of this emulator at all.

Is the performance/setup for Wii/Gamecube via Retroarch that bad? I may go through the trouble of just settling on that. I was super excited to run standalone Dolphin, but all these issue PLUS the performance when I was actually able to play a few games was not great. Micro-stutters constantly.

Plus, I am unable to exit out of any game. Just gets stuck on "shutting down." Have to exit app via the Xbox button > Dolphin > Quit.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Thought I had everything all set up for Dev mode yesterday, but now RA won't read my E: drive for my external. All the other standalone Emus will find it and run off of it, it's just that E: is showing as having nothing on it.

And yes, the drive was set up properly via a Windows PC with the proper inheritances and settings. Just infuriating.

PolskiGamer17

Oct 27, 2017
The Current dolphin is broken, but some people are super stubborn and refuse to acknowledge it.
AVOID THE CURRENT DOLPHIN IT CAN CORRUPT FOLDERs WHICH THEN YOU CANNOT DELETE.
1.3 is more stable but has lesser compatibility with certain games

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Is the performance/setup for Wii/Gamecube via Retroarch that bad?
It's FAR worse lol.

I seem to be having a good experience with Dolphin v1.12 on my Series X, playing off a USB flash drive. I honestly think the only hiccups I'm encountering in games are BECAUSE I'm using a cheap USB 3.0 flash drive lol.

I really want to get a better storage solution for this stuff. I like that NVME 3 drive + USB 3.0 enclosure setup someone earlier in this thread listed.

Last edited:

Flink

Oct 27, 2017
The Current dolphin is broken, but some people are super stubborn and refuse to acknowledge it.
AVOID THE CURRENT DOLPHIN IT CAN CORRUPT FOLDERs WHICH THEN YOU CANNOT DELETE.
1.3 is more stable but has lesser compatibility with certain games

Good to know, but I also had major issues with 1.3. Could that be because of the folders not being able to be deleted after uninstalling, and the errors transferring over with I try to revert to an older version?

I hate to have to just reformat my drive, but if that's what it takes...

Damnit! Haha.

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at my wits end here. Im trying to get X-Men vs Street Fighter on Retroarch to scan.

No matter what I do this one specific game will not be recognized by RetroArch and it's driving me crazy. Everything else I've thrown at it has been fine.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I'm at my wits end here. Im trying to get X-Men vs Street Fighter on Retroarch to scan.

No matter what I do this one specific game will not be recognized by RetroArch and it's driving me crazy. Everything else I've thrown at it has been fine.

Sometimes with disc-based systems it's easier (and much quicker) to do a "Manual Scan" and import the games into playlists that way. If your thumbnails don't download for a particular game, you may have to rename the game in the playlist (not the filename) to match the game's thumbnail name in the repository. In this case it's "X-Men vs. Street Fighter (Japan)"

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes with disc-based systems it's easier (and much quicker) to do a "Manual Scan" and import the games into playlists that way. If your thumbnails don't download for a particular game, you may have to rename the game in the playlist (not the filename) to match the game's thumbnail name in the repository. In this case it's "X-Men vs. Street Fighter (Japan)"

Awesome. I'll try again that way tonight.

Oct 27, 2017
Had a question that might have been answered in this thread at some point that relates to entering dev mode and quick resume. In the past when I merely tested dev mode after installing and setting it all up I observed that all my quick resume games were wiped and for that reason intended on retail mode whenever I would finally emulate something which, sadly, I never was able to before it was shut down. I'm wondering whether my experience was a one off or it is an inevitable and unavoidable to have quick resume save states be totally wiped whenever entering dev mode to play whichever emulated game?

I'm one of the people that really adores quick resume whenever it's available and it's become one of the strongest reasons my series X has been my preferred platform for third parties and I'm not sure losing them whenever playing say a PS1 game would be a worthy trade-off, especially since I'd be playing those older games and current game pass games concurrently.

I read the comments above mentioning some app called safe exit, seems like it might be something designed to solve this problem by preventing a full reset of the console and all that's involved in that. Can anybody clarify this for me?

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Had a question that might have been answered in this thread at some point that relates to entering dev mode and quick resume. In the past when I merely tested dev mode after installing and setting it all up I observed that all my quick resume games were wiped and for that reason intended on retail mode whenever I would finally emulate something which, sadly, I never was able to before it was shut down. I'm wondering whether my experience was a one off or it is an inevitable and unavoidable to have quick resume save states be totally wiped whenever entering dev mode to play whichever emulated game?

I'm one of the people that really adores quick resume whenever it's available and it's become one of the strongest reasons my series X has been my preferred platform for third parties and I'm not sure losing them whenever playing say a PS1 game would be a worthy trade-off, especially since I'd be playing those older games and current game pass games concurrently.

I read the comments above mentioning some app called safe exit, seems like it might be something designed to solve this problem by preventing a full reset of the console and all that's involved in that. Can anybody clarify this for me?
I don't think there's any way to avoid Quick Resume getting cleared when you switch to Dev mode, unfortunately. The "safe exit" app is to prevent all of your installed Dev content from getting wiped when you switch back to Retail mode. If you just quit normally out of Dev mode, you lose it all.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's any way to avoid Quick Resume getting cleared when you switch to Dev mode, unfortunately. The "safe exit" app is to prevent all of your installed Dev content from getting wiped when you switch back to Retail mode. If you just quit normally out of Dev mode, you lose it all.

Damnnnnn...that's kind of a steep cost for emulating in my mind, I don't suppose retail mode will be restored soon ; ). What exactly is the specific reason quick resume's cleared? Does the retail side have to be totally suspended or shut down to enable dev mode?

OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Damnnnnn...that's kind of a steep cost for emulating in my mind, I don't suppose retail mode will be restored soon ; ). What exactly is the specific reason quick resume's cleared? Does the retail side have to be totally suspended or shut down to enable dev mode?
Yeah, it's a complete separate environment.

I believe it's a security measure: it either wipes the entire memory or makes sure all the retail bits on RAM are cleared so they can't be snooped in dev mode.

Same going to retail: no leftover code in RAM. Both security, and ensures stability of games

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if it is possible to take a Flycast VMU save and import it to a real VMU?

I'd like to start a MvC2 save and then eventually transfer it over to a real VMU to use on actual hardware.

Feb 13, 2021
Finally started to play today after getting everything set up, but most stuff just crashes back to dashboard. Ehh I'ma leave it alone for a while and just play WWE2K23.