Flink

Oct 27, 2017
Any consensus on the best external sdd/thumb drive/flash drive to get for a reasonable budget (can stretch this pretty far if something is amazing), speedwise? Probably want 256gb or above.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Related to Xbox and emulation: Capcom has all their "2nd Stadium" games on sale for .99 cents for the next few days on Xbox (and next few hours on Switch). What this means is that you can pick up the SF Alpha Trilogy or Darkstalkers Trilogy for $2.97 which is darn cheap when you think about it. Most official emu collections rarely reach that level of value. I already own the full package on PC but I went ahead and picked up the Darkstalkers games on Xbox and Switch just to have them there, along with some of my other faves like Super Puzzle Fighter II, Gem Fighters, Knights of the Round, and King of Dragons. There's no online play I don't think so that'll be a deal-killer for some but I never play these games online so I don't care. I like to support efforts by companies to release their back catalog when possible.

I thought about maybe making a thread "Darkstalkers Trilogy $2.97 on Xbox and Switch" but I figured the thread would be filled with whining about online play and the two JP-only Darkstalkers variants so I didn't bother.

BTW, the stadium games have decent scanlines and filters on Xbox. Not so much on Switch because it doesn't scale them properly due to the overall lower resolution (1080p docked I'd imagine. I didn't try it handheld yet).

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So after the retail mode was taken away, I have finally set up Dev mode and been reinstalling the emulators.

One issue I have come across though is I can't for the life of me remember how to change the settings of a retroarch core and then save it to be the same across all games for that core.

Set up the PS1 options I want but it's only saving it for the game I did them on.

Any advice would be great.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Yeah I think he's being a bit dramatic with how long it takes to reboot. I also think he should've focused more on the individual standalone emulator apps instead of RetroArch. Still good to see them cover this though.

Jaylinx

Apr 7, 2021
Few years ago, it used to be 5+ minutes to switch from Retail to Dev. Now it's barely 2mns. I thought I would be bothered to use RA in Dev Mode after Retail disappeared, but I don't think about it anymore. I also found RA less buggy in Dev Mode.

Goldstick

Jun 6, 2019
Porto, Portugal
I have been trying to register for a Dev Partner account for some time now (I'm also interested in developing something by myself), but every card I try to pay with is declined, even though it says it accepts debit cards. This does not happen anywhere else. I'm in Portugal/EU.

Did someone went through the same thing? What are my options?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So how is the state of Xenia right now? Are most things playable? I've got a stack of 360 discs that can't be played on the Series X like Lollipop Chainsaw that I'd love to get up and running on Xenia but not sure if the state of the emulation is worth jumping in just quite yet as I'm aware its very much a work in progress still.

So it still works, but Oliver recommends just using a dedicated console for emulation since switching modes takes a while. Does it really take that long to switch back and forth?

Its like a 5 minute reboot. If you're casually ping ponging back and forth between retail Series X games and Retro stuff in a single night I could see it being annoying but otherwise I haven't found it to be too terrible.

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Any of y'all have weird issues with Dolphin core in retroarch where it randomly switches aspect ratios? Was playing Wario World tonight and it kept switching at various parts in the stages.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered this because I've decided to start collecting the old James Bond games for PS2, and would rather play those games upscaled running at 60 fps instead of hooking up my old PS2 slim. But I want to be sure before I go ahead with signing up for a $20 developer account. Dev mode isn't likely to be taken away since it's technically a separate sandbox, and therefore isn't monitored. Right?

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered this because I've decided to start collecting the old James Bond games for PS2, and would rather play those games upscaled running at 60 fps instead of hooking up my old PS2 slim. But I want to be sure before I go ahead with signing up for a $20 developer account. Dev mode isn't likely to be taken away since it's technically a separate sandbox, and therefore isn't monitored. Right?

Exactly! Entirely separate from retail and can't access retail features so you're free to run whatever on it without fear of being banned or having your dev license revoked. Just follow the latest dev mode guide and you'll be up and running in no time. I highly suggest you do go the USB route and load your games onto a thumb drive or external HDD though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiviIeZdq1Y

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly! Entirely separate from retail and can't access retail features so you're free to run whatever on it without fear of being banned or having your dev license revoked. Just follow the latest dev mode guide and you'll be up and running in no time. I highly suggest you do go the USB route and load your games onto a thumb drive or external HDD though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiviIeZdq1Y

Thanks! I found another YT video and got the BIOS loaded along with the USB setup. Now just to find a disc drive somewhere to rip my games.

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I found another YT video and got the BIOS loaded along with the USB setup. Now just to find a disc drive somewhere to rip my games.

If you care about presentation and whatnot. You can find boxarts for pretty much every PS2 game here.

github.com

Sony_-_PlayStation_2/Named_Boxarts at master · libretro-thumbnails/Sony_-_PlayStation_2

Contribute to libretro-thumbnails/Sony_-_PlayStation_2 development by creating an account on GitHub.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Ever since switching to Dev mode, I've been experiencing INSANE input lag running Duckstation.

Does anyone have any tips?

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since switching to Dev mode, I've been experiencing INSANE input lag running Duckstation.

Does anyone have any tips?

Yes you have to make sure duckstation is flagged as a game not an app if you're running it as an app you don't get the full power of the system.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
2 silly Series X questions.

Does remote play use external internet data? As in, if my series X is in another room and I use the Xbox app in pc to play it is that going to use data like browsing the web and watching videos would as far as my ISP is concerned?

Can you use the controller plugged in to the PC or a charger without batteries in it?

Just trying to figure out whether I'd be better off putting the console next to my PC or leaving it on the living room TV and using remote play, but when I use remote play the controller likes to disconnect very frequently

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
2 silly Series X questions.

Does remote play use external internet data? As in, if my series X is in another room and I use the Xbox app in pc to play it is that going to use data like browsing the web and watching videos would as far as my ISP is concerned?

Can you use the controller plugged in to the PC or a charger without batteries in it?

Just trying to figure out whether I'd be better off putting the console next to my PC or leaving it on the living room TV and using remote play, but when I use remote play the controller likes to disconnect very frequently
No to the first, yes to the second.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Looking to finally jump into emulation on the Series X. Is there any benefit to having a separate 'Dev mode' account versus just registering my current account?

OP
OP
neoak

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Besides the higher resolutions, should be pretty much the same. CPUs are identical.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So in a positive note for me at least, the Sonic SMS ports, Sonic Time Twisted, and AM2R original game ports still work. Glad to be able to keep them on my Series S.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So thinking of just making my series s my emulation machine. It's just as simple as making a dev account and then paying 20 bucks?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I wouldn't feel comfortable paying a monthly fee for this. Dev mode works fine.

But isn't constantly switching between retail and Dev a pain? Heard it takes a while.

Though it looks like apps will be blocked after a few days and updating them every week may be required. Which would be a bigger pain.

Hm.
Is Dev mode safe, as in the apps will always work? Might look into it, I really miss emulating old arcade games on the big screen

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't it just work paying for it once and then cancelling after downloading the apps? Or will MS continually block these from working like they did with the old apps?
It wouldn't be hard for Microsoft to remove these apps and with how hard they came down on them before I'm sure they'll be doing it again. I'd be surprised if the apps lasted more than a month.