Votes: 73 8.5%
  • Halo 7: The Dark World

Votes: 216 25.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
As a PS5 and Switch only guy (no PC), I'm all for it!

But I fail to see how this benefits MS at all.

I'm trying to see, but I'm failing.

I mean if they feel they can not grow the brand any longer via hardware sales.... certainly outside the US... You have to find new sales and gamers somewhere.

When you spend the money they have on publishers.... remember they bought 2 massive publishers. The value in them is their reach on as many platforms as possible. So when you think about the fact that they just want to sell games.. and make little profit on systems and have pretty much given up winning the hardware race, the next move is logically .. publisher. They just need to deal with the backlash which I feel they just need to assure their fans their games will be safe someway going forward but they are shifting their focus. I have no idea if this is how they will handle it just assuming the rumors are true, for me it makes sense when you spend the money on publishers they have recently.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's not really that different from Horizon/Spiderman/God of War/TLOU/Uncharted/etc coming out on PC after X amount of time.

Exactly this.
People are just making a big deal out of this.
Sony said they made the PS4 Pro because of ppl migrating to PC later in the gen.

....why didn't they do a PS5 Pro at the start of the gen....

When next gen starts..what do the average person shop for: consoles or a PC?

Why do you think platform holders try to convince you their console is the best place to play?

PC is not the same as console vs console....no matter how much some try to make it or want it be.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I know most don't agree but I really think this is a win-win for Microsoft.

Here's how it will look:

- Huge PC business (Starfield, Halo, Flight Sim, CoD, Diablo 4, Overwatch, Starcraft, etc)
- Gamepass sub business (continue to get all MS games day 1 plus EA Play, others rolled in)
- Mobile business (King, etc)
- Console business (Non-Gamepass Xbox users, Switch 2, and PS5)

That is a pretty compelling gaming business.

I think this is all leading up to a...

Spin-out of the gaming business. Shareholders don't want an AI/Cloud freight train attached to a lumpy, unpredictable, mid-single-digit (the dreaded MSD) segment. With ABK they have the heft to do it.
if you remove the typical console tribalism emotionality, i agree, i think it's a rational place to take their business. Playstation/Nintendo is going to become Microsoft's 'PC market' equivalent of Sony's, where most everything gets ported an indeterminate amount of time later; arriving at the same conclusion Sony did with the PC market, which is, you're never gonna get those players in your garden -- so it's better to just release full price at some point and monetize that market anyway. Live service games that are attempting to be the next Fortnite or whatever absolutely need to be everywhere and on everything day 1, which is true for Playstation also. And if Microsoft sorta disassociates from the hardware side and just licenses out the Xbox brand to a subset of PC manufacturers with a certified spec and bundled controller, then essentially you start seeing Playstation games on Xbox platforms, or ecosystem, in a way too. Much like with the steam deck. I think Microsoft leaning more into their innate strength with the PC business and giving up on the idea of owning the living room or whatever, which is an outdated mode of thinking anwyay, will take them further and higher.

Last edited:

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
That...isn't at odds with anything even rumored to be happening?
Yes, it is also from eight months ago.

Sony said they made the PS4 Pro because of ppl migrating to PC later in the gen.

....why didn't they do a PS5 Pro at the start of the gen....

When next gen starts..what do the average person shop for: consoles or a PC?

Why do you think platform holders try to convince you their console is the best place to play?

PC is not the same as console vs console....no matter how much some try to make it or want it be.
PC may not be as direct of a competing platform, just like NSW and mobile, but they are serious competitors for gaming time. If you seriously misread pricing you run the risk of alienating your audience. Back during launch, people were reselling the PS5s for around $300 above MSRP which some people took that as, Sony can launch it at $800 and still sell it. This is without realizing that the reason it is so attractive is because of ecosystem buy-in and MSRP being reasonable.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well my best guess is that Xbox and Windows may become a more singular thing in future, so like the Xbox UI is integrated as a mode in Windows, and the games are essentially the PC versions, allowing anyone to make an "Xbox", similar to how they sell Windows. Other than a graphics settings screen in games, it'd likely be a similar experiecne for most people.

Same way that we'll probably see Steam Machines come back in the next couple of years

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the goal is to use the Xbox branding to replace "windows store" or "games for windows" entirely for Microsoft's gaming initiative. Just have one brand across PC and console that isn't confused by multiple storefronts and apps that only kinda talk to each other. They're ALREADY almost there already - the Xbox Game Pass app could just become an Xbox app instead and eliminate the overlap.

Jeff Grubb (Via VGC): "Gears of War is being considered for this"
OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
www.ign.com

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle and Possibly Starfield Are Reportedly Being Considered for PS5 - IGN

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle and possibly Starfield are reportedly being considered for PS5, and this may indicate a new multi-platform approach inside Microsoft for certain Xbox games going forward if it proves to be true.
That's not original reporting, they're just covering Tom Warren's article at The Verge, which characterizes this move as more than a couple isolated ports:
www.theverge.com

Microsoft weighs launching Indiana Jones on the PS5

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle could be heading to PS5.
A new multi-platform approach for certain Xbox games is emerging inside Microsoft, we're told, with the company weighing up which titles will remain exclusive and others that will appear on Switch or PS5 in the future. Indiana Jones appears to be part of this new wave of multi-platform games.

Exact timing and platform availability for Indiana Jones and the Great Circle could change, particularly as Microsoft's new multi-platform approach for Xbox games hasn't been finalized. Microsoft has been evaluating bringing certain Xbox exclusives to PS5 and Nintendo Switch in recent months. Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush have both reportedly been under cross-platform consideration, and we understand Microsoft has also looked into bringing other Xbox games to rival consoles.

Apr 9, 2018

Here's how it will look:

- Huge PC business (Starfield, Halo, Flight Sim, CoD, Diablo 4, Overwatch, Starcraft, etc)
- Gamepass sub business (continue to get all MS games day 1 plus EA Play, others rolled in)

Spin-out of the gaming business. Shareholders don't want an AI/Cloud freight train attached to a lumpy, unpredictable, mid-single-digit (the dreaded MSD) segment. With ABK they have the heft to do it.
This, maybe not the spin out, I'm not sure, but yeah this seems like a win for them in the short term anyway

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
i'm surprised the first "big" one isn't Halo Infinite going multi platform, since it's a f2p/live service title.
this is the kind of game where you want to cast your net as wide as possible, and it's currently limited to PC/Xbox

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i'm surprised the first "big" one isn't Halo Infinite going multi platform, since it's a f2p/live service title.
this is the kind of game where you want to cast your net as wide as possible, and it's currently limited to PC/Xbox
better to send out a critical darling and successful live service game instead

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
idk if you meant this as a gatcha, but he's not wrong, just because they're releasing some games on PS doesnt mean he enjoys PS getting a cut of the sales.
It's the same situation on Steam. Xbox almost certainly doesn't like having to concede as a legitimate competitor in the PC games distribution space, but it was necessary to have all the work they did prepping for day-and-date PC versions to actually be profitable.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
I am more surprised they are tweeting anything like this before an actual response at this point.
So is everyone... they wanted to polish that messaging probably for a few weeks. Now they will have to rush it.
That's never good, not saying anything isn't good either.

Given the leaks (for now), I doubt people are running around selling their Xbox just yet, but dayum, one more week ignoring people calling could definitely shift some minds.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

They are moving away from seasons in Infinite and they are doing content updates instead. While it seems like 343 will still support the game, it seems like they are slowly winding things down for Infinite and moving onto the next game. Porting Infinite this late may not be worth it at this point.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
This thread is moving at a good clip but I hope someone can help me answer this:

I'll forever be curious what would've happened (or what their internal discussions were about this) had Xbox opted to double down hard on exclusivity after Bethesda and the ABK acquisitions (excluding COD for the sake of the buyout).

With all of these studios, if they had really committed for 3-4 years that everything could only be played on Xbox, maybe even extending it a couple years into the next hardware generation, I'm really curious if that would've brute forced, for lack of a better phrase, brute forced a lot of HW sales. Particularly with the portfolio from ABK, especially if they could take a lot of studios off COD and diversify the output over there. But, this multiplat news is coming months after ABK closed, so we'll never know.

Any guesses why they wouldn't have tried this? I'm sure the answer's something simple, like they played this scenario out internally and it still didn't work (maybe with PC in the picture it wouldn't have moved the HW needle), or it sold a lot of Xboxes but this new multiplatform reality still makes more $$ in the end.

It would've been a Hail Mary and maybe they just couldn't risk that bleed for the years it would take to see it payoff.

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
Jeff Grubb just said on Game Mess Mornings that both Pentiment and Gears of War are being considered too.
The fact that Jeff Grubb is now hearing shit and it's also more stuff outside of Bethesda and ABK titles makes it 100% clear to me that I think Xbox is planning on porting their entire catalogue. Even if it's just consideration, if you port Gears, why not port Halo? If you're porting Hellblade 2, why not port Fable or Avowed? If you port Starfield, why not port Indiana Jones, Blade, etc.

I really feel like they're considering their entire catalogue little by little or all at once.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
This thread is moving at a good clip but I hope someone can help me answer this:

I'll forever be curious what would've happened (or what their internal discussions were about this) had Xbox opted to double down hard on exclusivity after Bethesda and the ABK acquisitions (excluding COD for the sake of the buyout).

With all of these studios, if they had really committed for 3-4 years that everything could only be played on Xbox, maybe even extending it a couple years into the next hardware generation, I'm really curious if that would've brute forced, for lack of a better phrase, brute forced a lot of HW sales. Particularly with the portfolio from ABK, especially if they could take a lot of studios off COD and diversify the output over there. But, this multiplat news is coming months after ABK closed, so we'll never know.

Any guesses why they wouldn't have tried this? I'm sure the answer's something simple, like they played this scenario out internally and it still didn't work (maybe with PC in the picture it wouldn't have moved the HW needle), or it sold a lot of Xboxes but this new multiplatform reality still makes more $$ in the end.

It would've been a Hail Mary and maybe they just couldn't risk that bleed for the years it would take to see it payoff.

I posted something similar last night… no doubt COD and Minecraft exclusivity would move massive amounts of consoles. But I think the most likely answer is that they "need" to make more money faster than that.

TheEchidna94

Dec 10, 2022
I hope they let us transfer our save files over to PlayStation with these games like they did with Minecraft dungeons

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017

Here's how it will look:

Nadella said a couple of years ago that he was thinking about the way games are made, distributed and played.

There's definitely a line between the cloud and AI to multiple facets of game development. He knows gaming is set to grow significantly and probably wants as many of those workloads on Azure, using his tech stack, as humanly possible.

That's also why I think they'll continue to buy up studios and pubs. It's R&D and real-world use cases to continue making Azure and any middleware or services for Microsoft.

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
I mean markets run on east coast time and this rumor has blown up to a more mainstream thing.
The markets and also… work on this scale doesn't wait for people to check into their cubicles. I mean ideally they were already working on this for weeks and I'm sure Comms had some fun meetings over the weekend (RIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.