• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im paraphrasing the title but here is the tweet

For context, Ryan with IGN gave Super Luckys Tale a poor score and has been the subject of much harassment as a rresult

xYfPaWM.jpg

Edit: Here is the start of the tweet thread, for additional context

How do you guys feel about someone in that position calling out reviewers publicly for trashing a game?

Further to that, should they be allowed to outright tell people not to purchase it? Is that not a part of their job?

And please dont use this to go after Shannon on social media, further personal attacks arent any kind of solution. Im more interested in discussing if theres precedence for this type of situation and what the fact its happening means for the realtionship between journalists and game companies.

Last edited:

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
incredibly worrying. shows a lack of understanding of what is criticism and reviews.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Later Tweet.

Nothing really malicious in that review though. Sure it's critical but nothing like "don't even consider buying this garbage" or something of that sort. What was the tweet replying to?

Last edited:

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
What was the context of that tweet? Like, what was it in reply to in that thread?

It certainly seems like poor form for Shannon to say though. She'd be better off staying silent about it since a reviewer is obviously entitled to their opinion on a game.

Skyw3rd

Oct 30, 2017
A review is to give purchase advice. If they didn't like the game and they said that in the review, that should be it. Microsoft calling this out will just lead to more dog piling on Ryan. Microsoft should know better.

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
unsurprising in the age of social media, where everyone can get in touch with anyone. I disagree with Loftis, though, a reviewer has every right to tell readers to not buy a certain product

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
'Don't discourage people from playing and give us higher metacritic.'

OP
OP

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the context of that tweet? Like, what was it in reply to in that thread?

It certainly seems like poor form for Shannon to say though. She'd be better off staying silent about it since a reviewer is obviously entitled to their opinion on a game.

Not sure. Whatever tweet its replying to has been deleted.

Helmic

Nov 7, 2017
A reviewer does not owe any game good publicity. A reviewer is well within their right to discourage others from buying a game. A reviewer can say that something is a good game and still be fully within their rights to say not to buy the game anyways because of X, Y, or Z reason (problematic representation of minorities, shitty monetization/microtransactions, the devs themselves being scumbags). Publishers, developers, and system manufacturers, at least ethically speaking if not in practice, don't get to tone police reviews.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A review is to give purchase advice. If they didn't like the game and they said that in the review, that should be it. Microsoft calling this out will just lead to more dog piling on Ryan. Microsoft should know better.
While I agree with this I wish reviewers sometimes were more objective. Just because you don't enjoy a mechanic or a genre doesn't mean it is objectively bad.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like I'm missing some context. As it stands it seems like a bad way to take criticism.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I agree with this I wish reviewers sometimes were more objective. Just because you don't enjoy a mechanic or a genre doesn't mean it is objectively bad.

Reviews are about your experience playing a game. Theyre subjective by nature and can not be objective and pretending they are is a disservice to the readers

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Very stupid even posting a comment like that specifically targeting a reviewer they will then become a victim to harassment.
It is also concerning that a figurehead of the industry would even do that, its not professional and doesn't look good at all for your company and your division.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I sort of get what she's saying, she's ok with the negative review but she doesn't like that he keeps dissing the game. Like you didn't like the game, move on? Still not a good look though.

Wait, so he's actually getting flack for the negative review? Didn't the game bomb critically overall anyways? It's not like the game got a 90 meta but he gave it a 6 or w/e. That's dumb.

Last edited:

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
incredibly worrying. shows a lack of understanding of what is criticism and reviews.

On the contrary, it shows a good deal of understanding I would say.

What is it about this review that is so controversial? He gave it a low score obviously, but did he totally trash it or something?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
it's a review, therefore subjective in nature, so impossible to be objective. if people cannot comprehend it's an opinion, not fact, it's their problem.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it's fair to quote someone in the title with something they didn't say

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Not a great look for Xbox executives. If a review isn't supposed to say whether to play a game or not, then what is the point of them?

Nailed it. I'm guessing the sales have not been good and Shannon seems to be lashing out a bit at Ryan but let's be honest here Super Lucky's Tale never had a chance releasing so close to Mario Odyssey and that's on Microsoft.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If she didn't want reviews discouraging purchases then it should have been a better game, and that's the end of it.

This shit is incredibly unprofessional and anti consumer, and worse grossly immature to be done so publicly. Quite honestly this kind of behaviour should cause more to damage sales and he games reputation than a lower than average for a mediocre game review ever would.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017

What does this even mean? If a game doesn't click with you, it doesn't click with you. The Review is his/hers to make. Even if you slide in a "you may like this if _____", ultimately that's not the point of the review. If you find a person isn't aligning with your thoughts on games/mechanics in general, you're better off just ignoring that reviewer (which is a perfectly fair approach to take, imho).

Reviews aren't charities or places to give out participation awards.

Last edited:

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ryan got a ton shit of comments from fanboys too. I saw this tweet from IGN's Destin Legarie: "I don't know what's going on but leave@DMC_Ryan alone. Guys done more for Xbox on the media side than anyone I know and has incredible integrity. Guy speaks his mind and is honest. I wouldn't want it any other way."
https://twitter.com/DestinLegarie/status/929087233973305344

Yikes. There is a scary level of tribalism around this kind of stuff on Twitter. Even worse is that I feel like some Microsoft evecs have subtlety encouraged some of this behavior.

People getting all aggressive about Super Lucky's Tale reviews need to re-evaluate their life.

Status
Not open for further replies.