• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Introducing Samsung Access for TV

Just stumbled on this link beforehand. But Samsung recently launched a Low-monthly payment service for their Smart TVs and one of the services they mention is Game Pass Ultimate.

Why is this significant? Samsung and Microsoft recently announced a partnership (Microsoft and Samsung partner on Xbox cloud-based game streaming) While there's no definitive evidence at the moment as the conditions mention Windows 10 and Xbox One, It's very possible that Game Pass and XCloud will be included beyond Samsung Smartphones and Tablets but also Samsung Smart TVs.

We might hear some news from Microsoft at the Xbox June event regarding Game Pass and XCloud.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
If this require two subscriptions (Game Pass and Samsung Access), this sucks.

If I can use Game Pass directly from my Samsung TV without a Samsung sub though, fantastic!

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this will get more traction than PlayStation Now on Bravias got (now removed).

This is the way these services should be moving.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I think limiting services to certain devices or brands is not exactly brilliant.
We will see. Still waiting for that 1080p that was round the corner for Xcloud beta.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
If this require two subscriptions (Game Pass and Samsung Access), this sucks.

If I can use Game Pass directly from my Samsung TV without a Samsung sub though, fantastic!
By sounds of it gamepass ultimate is part of whatever else there selling - if you already have game pass ultimate you will just login

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
By sounds of it gamepass ultimate is part of whatever else there selling - if you already have game pass ultimate you will just login

In this case, absolutely fantastic!

Currently using Steam Link through my Samsung TV and it's quite nice having nothing else around the TV active whilst playing.

Goldstick

Jun 6, 2019
Porto, Portugal
With Samsung Access, you get your choice of a streaming or gaming service (up to a $120 value), included at no additional cost. Choose from Showtime, Sling TV, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, YouTube Music Premium, YouTube Premium or YouTube TV.²

So with the Samsung subscription you can have access to Game Pass, but it is not clear if you can use the service on the tv if you already have Game Pass.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
This sounds like a huge win for MS if it's true. Having Gamepass+XCloud combo on every Samsung Smart TV means MS gets to expand their subscribers on TV without needing to sell them Xbox hardware.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
I've said before. This is how you get people who don't want another box under the tv (like me) onto the xbox platform. I'm never going to invest in a console just for 3 or 4 games over the lifetime, but I would dip in and out of a subscription app on my TV like I do with tv streaming.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, this is awesome, on the other hand Samsung in its continued fight with LG insists on making inferior high end TV sets, lacking Dolby Vision and OLED.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
iqCvic0.jpg

H7F4kep.png

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Samsung could be a huge partnership. Let's not forget that have a significant market of phones and tablets as well. When Microsoft says they want to be on every device, I assume this means this is not exclusive. Great spot to start however. Let's not forget Xcloud works with Playstation controllers. True 5G infrastructure is already established in some markets.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I'd believe it. Samsung has a pretty okay Steam Link app that's native to the TV.

OP
OP
12Danny123

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Well Now was on Samsung as well seemingly.

It's clear that Sony let the partnership wither and die. Sony back in 2014 used to have a significant market share in the Smart TV market, nowadays its less than 5%. Sony will no doubt struggle to get OEMs to preinstall PSNow on their TVs, Smartphones, and tablet etc.

How only having for one tv beans is not limiting the scope? I have Android tvs and lg ones. This reminds me of certain streaming services having these kind of deals too, for example hbo or prime video, only on certain devices, sometimes even within the same platform

I think it's more of a marketing deal. Xbox Game Pass/XCloud will no doubt come to Android TV, LG WebOS etc, but maybe won't be preinstalled or promoted.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Dont think its really limiting. Maybe Samsung is the only one open for it now.
How only having for one tv beans is not limiting the scope? I have Android tvs and lg ones. This reminds me of certain streaming services having these kind of deals too, for example hbo or prime video, only on certain devices, sometimes even within the same platform

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Please stop. It's a Samsung ad.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
So 4k streaming is incoming ? I can't imagine that they think a 720p stream is great for tvs

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
I think 4k is still some time away. But 1080 should be coming soon.
I don't see that flying either. 720p was okay because the target group was streaming on the go in addition.
Streaming on TV is imo targeted as an substitute for the console, so 1080p would be a bad look. Especially since you have in this space a competing player with stadia.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like this is another way to get access (potential exclusive partnership?), rather than anything to do with the xCloud app itself which could be on a Samsung TV without the a Samsung subscription, or on any other TV.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I bet Microsoft drops Xcloud all together and just calls their streaming service Xbox Game Pass. You can stream the games or download them to your pc/console.
Yeah I'm sure they'll just go down the same route as PS Now, but you'll need Game Pass Ultimate for the streaming functionality. Or, perhaps $10 for any one of Game Pass console/PC/streaming. Then $15 for Ultimate which includes all three.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
This would be a bigger megaton than any one game could be for MS if true.

Every single Samsung owner with WiFi is a ÂŁ1 click away from trying out Gamepass...and once you're in, you'll probably stay.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm sure they'll just go down the same route as PS Now, but you'll need Game Pass Ultimate for the streaming functionality. Or, perhaps $10 for any one of Game Pass console/PC/streaming. Then $15 for Ultimate which includes all three.

What if you want to just play games you've bought digitally?

Edit: nm I reread your post.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
MS should try and be on any device that will let them. If they have some kind of deal with Samsung that is special that's a bad idea.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
Samsung need to sort out the storage problem on some of their tvs first. Can't even download any updates as the memory is full because of pre installed crap you can't delete.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully, it comes to LG (and other countries/regions). This would be excellent, I wouldn't have to buy a PC/Xbox to play Xbox and multiple 3rd Party games

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
It's clear that Sony let the partnership wither and die. Sony back in 2014 used to have a significant market share in the Smart TV market, nowadays its less than 5%. Sony will no doubt struggle to get OEMs to preinstall PSNow on their TVs, Smartphones, and tablet etc.

I think it's more of a marketing deal. Xbox Game Pass/XCloud will no doubt come to Android TV, LG WebOS etc, but maybe won't be preinstalled or promoted.
It's a marketing deal, for sure, the problem is to what extent. I've seen it before, Samsung had a year exclusivity for hbo in Spain for example, the only way to enjoy hbo streaming on TVs was casting on Chromecast or damsumg tv, you had an lg, or other brands, no hbo for you on tv.
And today i can download Vodafone TV app and amazon prime tv app on my bravia Android tv but not on my Android tv mi box s

Oct 27, 2017
Glad they're getting on with getting xCloud out there, also encouraged that they've announced TV app support before any kind of Chromecast like device, just another sign that they understand the market for this service a lot better than Google.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft and Samsung have lots of deals in place with all of their products and services. So yeah no surprise that this would also expand to their TVs as well.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
AccessTV_kv_final.jpg

Premium TV, Premium Content,
Premium Care
Samsung Access is a new subscription that bundles select new Samsung TVs with Samsung Premium Care and premium content, all for one low monthly payment.

HE_Daas_Animation_V7.mp4

Interesting ... This confirms that the xCloud will be integrated into the Game Pass Ultimate. And also Game Pass will be a SmartTV application this year ?

Xbox go really strong if it comes out at the launch of the next gen with the XSX, Lockhart and xCloud (PC, TV, Mobile).

I'm glad that Halo infinite is the spearhead of all of that, it's the best way to rebuild the franchise.

www.samsung.com

All TVs | Shop our Best Smart TVs | Samsung US

Shop the full line of the best Samsung TV models. Discover 4k, 8k, Neo QLED and UHD smart TVs in a wide range of sizes.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
So this is a subscription service for a TV where you get the choice of choosing a subscription service with GamePass being an option. So a subscription within a subscription.

I wonder if they'll still have a separate app for existing TVs so you aren't stuck buying a new TV.

Edit: Seems it's 8 months of GamePass then you have to pay seperately.

Screenshot_2020-06-03_at_12.39.41.png

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Checked the App Store in Europe and there's no sign of anything Xbox branded, anyone in the US able to check? I would assume it's ready to go or real close for it to be featured in the offer.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Glad they're getting on with getting xCloud out there, also encouraged that they've announced TV app support before any kind of Chromecast like device, just another sign that they understand the market for this service a lot better than Google.
TV apps are the worst though. Microsoft needs to make xcloud available on Apple TV/nvidia shield (and other Android tv devices) and roku as well for this to catch on

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I think if it is going to have a TV app, it should have a designated button on the controller like my TCL has one for Netflix. It's very convenient.