• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
What is Xenia?
Xenia is an open source Xbox 360 emulator that has been in development since 2015! Progress has been slow but there has been a good amount of progress made still, a lot of XBLA games are playable and a good amount a least boot to the menu. As of May 19, 2018 an official patreon page has been opened to help speed up the development of the emulator.

Does X game work yet?
Probably not...yet! Again until this patreon was started, development was mostly done on free time, now that they are making money for developing the emulator a lot of progress is already starting to be made! Development of the program has recently switch over to DX12 to help debug issues, development should switch back when these issues are iron out, current status of the emulator is pretty good.

What do I need to run Xenia?
You MUST be on Windows 8 or 10 to run Xenia, it will not work on Windows 7. If you are Nvidia you need to have driver version 397.96 or later installed (currently 397.96 is a beta driver) for your GPU.

How Can I Dump My Games?
Super easy actually! Any 360 hardware can do it, you just need a USB drive and you are good to go for legit dumps!

Link to the Guide

Where Can I Get The Latest Version?
Follow This Link to get the latest DX12 build. Just click on the latest commit > Configuration: Release and download the artifacts.

Links:
Patreon
Official Site
GitHub
Discord

Last edited:
OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Again, lots of progress being made in the short time this has been on patreon, most of this is done in a very hacky way so far though
unknown.png

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's a very hacky way?

It's weird X360 emulation progresses so slow when it has the closest architecture to PC. Or maybe the architecture doesn't matter that much in the end?

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
What's a very hacky way?

It's weird X360 emulation progresses so slow when it has the closest architecture to PC. Or maybe the architecture doesn't matter that much in the end?
Modify the code yourself from the current branch on github. I think some people are starting to upload some of their builds, but it's still being worked on.

tokyostomp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This may real dumb in my part but how does having a pateron add speed to these projects? I'm assume these coders have 9-5's like most of us, so do they hire more people or quit their jobs to focus in this full time?

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
This may real dumb in my part but how does having a pateron add speed to these projects? I'm assume these coders have 9-5's like most of us, so do they hire more people or quit their jobs to focus in this full time?
Kind of a mix of those. They can actually afford to work on this as a job rather than a hobby.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
They probably dedicate more of their free time to it rather than just doing it at their leisure.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I played Sonic 2006 of all games on Xenia a few months ago. It ran at a solid 60fps and had almost nonexistent load times. With those major issues eliminated, it played like a dream. No longer was Sonic 06 a laughably bad game for technical quirks. Now it was only a bad game for every other reason. This was on some alternate build of Xenia specifically for that game, as the main build had issues at the time. Here's a video of somebody running it:

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it surpasses RCPS3 in performance in a few years
Performance in games that run is actually SUPER good, it's mostly the compatibility that is the biggest issues (and if you have an Nvidia card you get a lot of black artifacts right now) Here is Perfect Dark on a build from 2 months ago

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good update today! Lot's of games got broke by it (needed) but a lot of games render correctly now for the most part and quite a few new games boot too.

I can get pretty close to gameplay in ChromeHounds:
9fcddd3b001bcc6905b89f8ac2a1359d.jpg

P4AU actually renders the backgrounds now:
722ddc6a1c555f4a08902b26c4f8017f.jpg

JoJoHD is working A LOT more than it used too, sprites are not rendering yet
bd03dedef5da82bc814cf55862e3f21a.jpg

RezHD is playable.....in a black screen only (game does "work" though)

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nice! I just want to play Lost Odyssey without having to buy a Microsoft console.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome, didn't have a clue this much progress had been made.

It would be great if MS would make their own version for W10.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Oh DAMN, you guys know how I said ChromeHounds gets to that menu? Shit actually goes into the game with the new update today, it's all white but still this is impressive

d0050b9bca52fda47f2e7302a71fb9bd.png

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see if they can get widespread compatibility. Most of my last gen games were on 360. Given i have a DVD drive and 360 were DVD, im hoping its easier to dump ISOs for 360 than ps3.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Seems way too complicated. I was able to rip dual layer ps2 games with a DVDFAB app that had ISO extraction. That method looks like you have to first dump it as an install, then re-convert it back to an ISO.
Yeah it's not a pretty process but it's not the worst. I am sure we will get a PC only way at some point

Oh also in other news, N+ seems fully playable

8e4f8e0810293e831495ef8763689f82.png

Deleted member 2913

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see they're pushing more for this, was interested into it a few months ago but been holding out till they get further in. Can't wait for more progress.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Dumped Anarchy Reigns and Shadow Run (again not that hard of a process on a retail 360) Anarchy boots but SR kinda hangs :c

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Quick update, lots of progress made today, Halo and Fable should now be marked as in-game. The big issue they were hitting was with mipmaps and now that's being worked on. Banjo Tooie fixes are to blame for this progress lol

EDIT" Well just tried out Halo 3, kinda freezes after this, but this is damn good progress and all I had to do was disable mipmaps (which is being worked on now)
9d275abd9ddb2d9cd26c0b955b48b84c.jpg

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any chance the BC engine used on 360 to emulate OG Xbox will work on this? Because I know that with an unlocked BC (on my barely-used JTAG 360) even games like Rallisport Challenge 2 worked even better than the officially supported titles like Outrun 2.

Edit: They actually addressed this:
Original Xbox Backwards Compatibility
Microsoft released a compatibility layer that enabled original Xbox games to run on the 360. Though likely feasible to get running under Xenia, it's not a goal. There's likely to be a lot of trickery going on that most games don't do, and distribution of the compatibility layer isn't possible.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any chance the BC engine used on 360 to emulate OG Xbox will work on this? Because I know that with an unlocked BC (on my barely-used JTAG 360) even games like Rallisport Challenge 2 worked even better than the officially supported titles like Outrun 2.

Edit: They actually addressed this:
I think it's ok to not follow this when we have CXBX.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Went there... windows 8 or 10 only... so i stick with RPCS3 which has great performances on my PC.
I'll see that later then when i am forced to update
to a system that takes as much time to major update as it takes me to install 8 PCs from scratch on Win7 and want to remove my right to properly administrate my machine. The win10 ROG laptop i bought my sister took 5 friggin hours to first start despite the fact i was on a 10Gbps internet for that. It made a poor christmas experience and i can guaranty my family don't want win10 after seeing the pc sit there plugged the whole day to update.
It'll come, but now is not the time.

OP, you should write the system requirements :)

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3 campaign "runs" and MP runs at like 1fps (performance issues are being looked into right now, appears to be something wrong with a shader that is causing the FPS drop)

Dead Space runs too
unknown.png

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't sadly, support is currently not a priority at all either. I am hoping once the emu is stable they will look into it

Ah, that's a shame. With no BC support on XB1 I would love to see that library made accessible on current hardware.

Cursed Loot, Miner Dig Deep and many more games need a new home...

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
ha enjoyed that video. The subtitles were great. "Is that french?" lol. "it hasn't crashed, fascinating"

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
So Halo 3 now works without any custom Xenia builds, it's still vapor wave version due to mipmaps being broken