• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lilo_D

Oct 29, 2017
famitsu review details

-playtime varies depending on the player
-world setting is great and characters are charming. The scenes and music help you get immersed
-the combat systems unlocking as you progress is great
-combat using different blades are fun and strategic
-the fast travel is very convenient.

some questionable things?

-there are lots of things to memorize for battle and is a bit complicated
-you spend lots of time looking at event scenes
-encountering too strong enemy and running away from them during exploration is troublesome
-grinding for things like money can hurt the game's play tempo
-sometimes it's hard to see the map
-a single battle can be quite long, and you wish you can enjoy more variety of battles instead.

Sounds general Xenoblade to me, then I guess this series won't get more than 36 for famitsu forever..................

Garf02

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
-encountering too strong enemy and running away from them during exploration is troublesome
-a single battle can be quite long, and you wish you can enjoy more variety of battles instead.
This part alone tell you whoever played it likely has no experience with previous Xenoblade games. as the combat system is really deep and min maxing, and unless you use it properly your damage output will be a joke.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
All jokes aside, John talking on the 8-4 Play podcast about it... I don't know. Sounded a bit disappointing to be honest.

It probably went something like this: "Nintendo dropped us like a rock when XCX was blasted for its localization, so now I'm shitting on their next game which we didn't have anything to do with."

I'm kidding, obv, but will give it a listen. I can't help but feel they're a little hurt from not being chosen to localize again.

famitsu review details

-world setting is great and characters are charming. The scenes and music help you get immersed

Thanks for this!

Deleted member 7101

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
famitsu review details

Most of their negatives are positives for me.

Lilo_D

Oct 29, 2017
famitsu review details

The negative seems pretty valid if you're not a experienced xeno player,
Can we say Xenoblade Series is really not that friendly for newcomers?

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I tend to find Famitsu scores don't often match western review scores all that often. That said, this works out as being around an 8/10 which seems like a very respectable score. Anything higher would be awesome.

It probably went something like this: "Nintendo dropped us like a rock when XCX was blasted for its localization, so now I'm shitting on their next game which we didn't have anything to do with."

I'm kidding, obv, but will give it a listen. I can't help but feel they're a little hurt from not being chosen to localize again.
How much could Nintendo hate 8-4 if they gave them Fire Emblem Echoes, which has been universally praised for its localization?

Christ, the only people that were bitchy about the XCX localization had more to do with the content changes than anything 8-4 did. And given the timeframe of the game's development, XC2 was already off of the table since it likely started localization around the same time that 8-4 would have been working on XCX.

yungkeef

Nov 2, 2017
I want this game so bad. But I'd never played Xenoblade Chronicles. I just bought a new 2DS XL this weekend and decided to pick it up, too. Part of me has buyer's remorse because I could just wait and get 2. What should I do,guys?

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Xenoblade Chronicles 2 First Review".

Oh!

"Famitsu".

Oh, come on!

I think the majority of thread feels this way. GAF is primarily North American and our tastes/Culture is overall quite different from Eastern gamers. So a Japanese magazine's review isn't going to be the best indicator of our likes. Regardless still dam excited about this game(I have it pre-ordered..... but no switch yet)

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I want this game so bad. But I'd never played Xenoblade Chronicles. I just bought a new 2DS XL this weekend and decided to pick it up, too. Part of me has buyer's remorse because I could just wait and get 2. What should I do,guys?
You don't need to have played the first one to get into this one, they're 100% standalone and not related lore or story-wise at all.

That said, the first game is my favorite JRPG since FFIX, it's incredibly good and it blew me away (and I played it on 3DS).

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Battle system is different but not better. Beginning not done well. You have to stick with it for the first 10h. Music not as good as the first one.

I don't know. I was hoping for more than "just" more Xenonlade. But maybe that's just me.
I'm listening to the podcast and he just said it feels like Skies of Arcadia mixed with Grandia, and I couldn't possibly imagine a more hype description lol

Edit: Here's a summary for those who don't listen:

- he's a long time fan of the series (of course, they localized X :D)
- 13 hours in, feels like he's barely played 1% of the game (he later mentions he hasn't gotten any new Blades for example)
- he just reached the equivalent of Gaur plains
- feels very much like the last Xenoblade (which he loves)
- slow beginning (compares it to the beginning of the original XC - kinda overwhelming)
- the music is really really really good (so far he likes XC's OST more but says that's a high bar, plus again he's barely heard the OST)
- the core battle system feels very different from the previous games', improving as the game goes on
- world design very similar to the first game
- "Feels like Skies of Arcadia mixed with Grandia" from the music and setting
- "like they forgot X existed and decided to expand on the first one"
- again says slow to start, you have to stick with it, overwhelming
- again, feels like he's just getting started, woke up and wanted to continue playing
- mentions the improved quest system

Also they disliked Stranger Things 2 apparently :P

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Let's play "What score did this game get?"
As this game is built in the spirit of hunting action games, it is easy to mistake this as one, but instead of focusing on action it feels more like MMORPG similar to Final Fantasy XIV. It is important to make the best use of customizing job roles or abilities strategically and it is enjoyable to fight smartly. Since the game can be played in many various ways, there is also an abundance of elements which support personally-made challenges [like Nuzlocke for Pokemon games]. However, it is probably going to take some time to understand the interesting aspects of the game.
wait, Nuzlocke is a thing in Japan?

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
it never was the franchise which fascinated the japanese audience and the Famitsu wasn't fully convinced by the games either. The biggest problem with the magazine is the score system of 40 points and how they score different games. Famitsu scores usually higher so that you can say 35/40 for an ambitious project like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a slight disappointment. But in the end, the taste of this magazine is weird and this will never change.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm listening to the podcast and he just said it feels like Skies of Arcadia mixed with Grandia, and I couldn't possibly imagine a more hype description lol

Edit: Here's a summary for those who don't listen:

- he's a long time fan of the series (of course, they localized X :D)
- 13 hours in, feels like he's barely played 1% of the game (he later mentions he hasn't gotten any new Blades for example)
- he just reached the equivalent of Gaur plains
- feels very much like the last Xenoblade (which he loves)
- slow beginning (compares it to the beginning of the original XC - kinda overwhelming)
- the music is really really really good (so far he likes XC's OST more but says that's a high bar, plus again he's barely heard the OST)
- the core battle system feels very different from the previous games', improving as the game goes on
- world design very similar to the first game
- "Feels like Skies of Arcadia mixed with Grandia" from the music and setting
- "like they forgot X existed and decided to expand on the first one"
- again says slow to start, you have to stick with it, overwhelming
- again, feels like he's just getting started, woke up and wanted to continue playing
- mentions the improved quest system

Also they disliked Stranger Things 2 apparently :P
Eh, I thought he actually had disappointing remarks. That sounds good to me, especially because he's still somewhat in the beginning.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
How much could Nintendo hate 8-4 if they gave them Fire Emblem Echoes, which has been universally praised for its localization?

Christ, the only people that were bitchy about the XCX localization had more to do with the content changes than anything 8-4 did. And given the timeframe of the game's development, XC2 was already off of the table since it likely started localization around the same time that 8-4 would have been working on XCX.

Don't come in here with your logic and facts, I was trying to shit on 8-4. Let me rage!

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
It's way too early for reviews. Even Monday next week feels too early for me IMO. Was a source ever named for that embargo dropping today thing? It's been repeated all over the place and I have no idea where it came from.
I dont know. I just read it from several users, and hoped someone had some extra info or could confirm it was real :P Judging by the silence, I guessed it wasn't.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
famitsu review details

>You spend lots of time looking at event scenes

Well what did they expect from a story-heavy JRPG? Some of these 'negatives' are baffling tbh

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can we honestly just ban Famitsu review scores at this point? They've long since stopped being meaningful or indicative of literally anything for most (if not all) games, and pretty much everyone knows that.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This part alone tell you whoever played it likely has no experience with previous Xenoblade games. as the combat system is really deep and min maxing, and unless you use it properly your damage output will be a joke.

The first game scales a lot with level. You can normally just grind your way through tougher encounters to boost your damage output.

But yeah, in general your gems and your skills are what boost your damage to good levels. So lets hope that getting good gems isnt dumb bullshit like in X.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just for comparison, person 4 golden scored 35/40 from famitsu and a 93 on metacritic

Sonic forces scored 35/40 from famitsu and 59 on metacritic

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
For what it's worth, my experience has been a consistent volley between sweet and bitter, hit and miss. Some sessions I don't really have fun at all, and sometimes the presentation takes me by surprise and delights me. This is going to be a tough game to score. The Famitsu scores don't surprise me, and I'm predicting a lot (like... a lot) of heated debate about how good this game is or isn't after it launches.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, my experience has been a consistent volley between sweet and bitter, hit and miss. Some sessions I don't really have fun at all, and sometimes the presentation takes me by surprise and delights me. This is going to be a tough game to score. The Famitsu scores don't surprise me, and I'm predicting a lot (like... a lot) of heated debate about how good this game is or isn't after it launches.

...go on.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like my experience with XC1. It wasn't until I was fully done with that game that I was able to look back and appreciate it. But at the time there were a lot of flaws that made me go crazy.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What gives you the impression that everyone else's feelings towards it will be the same as yours when everyone else's previews have been almost all positive?