• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/204208-xenoblade-chronicles-2/76340715

I want to start out by stressing that I had nothing to do with discovering all of this. I was just lurking in the reddit discord server when someone by the name of Moosehunter started revealing stuff about the blade RNG algorithm, the NG+ blades, the OST and more. Hence all credits belong to Moosehunter. I'm just writing this so we have it all in one place. I take no credits whatsoever.

Party member and blade name spoilers up ahead.

There are 5 elements involved in the algorithm that determines what kind of blade you can get from a core crystal. These are: the blade base probabilities, the pity system, which type of crystal is used, your Idea Cloud, and finally LUK (the stat). I'll go through them one-by-one.

Blade base probabilities
Every rare blade that can be gotten from a crystal has a base probability rate. This includes blades like Wulfric and Vess who are gotten from named core crystals (you can release them and then get them back from the gachapon system). A list of the base probabilities can be found here:

https://pastebin.com/raw/dzuxLqGy

Note that Wulfric, Vess, etc. are not given. They all have base probabilities of 1 in each column. So why are there 5 different columns? Well, it turns out that the game chooses which column gives the base probabilities on your save file upon the creation of said file. So if the game decides to give you column 5, you will have high base odds for Godfrey, Perceval, Azami etc. while having low base odds for Vale, Agate and Ursula. KOS-MOS, the NG+ blades and the named crystal blades are the only blades with the same base probabilities in every column.

Myth 1: Some blades (like Godfrey and Azami) are more common than others (like Zenobia and KOS-MOS).
This claim is not completely true or accurate. In reality it depends on which column your save file has. In column 5 Godfrey and Azami indeed have high base probabilities, but in column 1 they have much lower base odds.

The pity system
Yes, there is actually a pity system in place to prevent people from getting RNG screwed too badly. Moreover this system can be used to determine which column your save file has (more on that later).

So how does it work? Every column has a set of 3 fixed pity blades. As you open cores without getting a rare blade, your pity counter will increase by a number that depends on the type of core used. Common cores give 5 points, rare cores give 25 points and legendary cores give a whopping 50 points. You get your first pity blade at 100 points, your second blade after 200 more points and your third one after 300 more points. Your pity point counter is reset every time you get a rare blade. The pity blades are as follows:

Column 1 - Godfrey, Agate, Boreas
Column 2 - Perceval, Azami, Adenine
Column 3 - Gorg, Perun, Electra
Column 4 - Kora, Nim, Finch
Column 5 - Vale, Ursula, Floren

With the exception of Azami (column 2) the pity blades all have low odds in their column compared to other columns (that's a relief).

This pity system is what allows us to easily see which column our save file uses. The first step is to put your blades in chronological order and see which 10(-ish) blades you got first. Your 3 pity blades should be there, as well as other blades with high base probabilities (on average). This should give you an indication of which column your save file might use. If you want to be even more certain you could release one of your pity blades and use legendary crystals till you get him/her back. If you had all 3 pity blades and released one of them, then it takes 500 points (10 legendary cores) to get that blade back. The next one takes over 35 legendary cores to get back (as far as I know the person testing this is still opening cores, RIP). Release blades at your own risk, because if you're wrong about which column your save file uses, then you might not see that blade again for a while.

For more details, click on the link at the start.

Last edited:

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I got Kora during chapter 2 I think (just after knowing the guy with Roc) on a common core. I didnt know I was that lucky lol.
And I got it on Nia that is my healer :D.

(I should be finishing Xenoblade 2, but I waited a week for that patch that was delayed and now I'm fully invested on BAyo 2 )

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely had Column 2 in the Pity Blade Sweepstakes. Adenine and Azami were my first two rares if I recall correctly.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Holy shit, I had no idea KOS-MOS was that rare. Managed to get her about 20 hours in. Looks like I got really damn lucky.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No wonder KOS-MOS took so damn long to get. Also surprising how low Agate's rate is, she was one of the first I got.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got Kos-mos like in 30 hours without even trying and most of the rare blades so I don't have that problem with this system at all.

Deleted member 21094

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like I'm column 2 then, I pretty much got all those rare blades in that column really early, then I kinda stopped getting rares(I didn't even try really since I got enough to continue)

Oct 25, 2017
having a gacha system in this game is so incredibly stupid and pointless. You can't even spend real money on it, so... like whats the point?

Also the whole having to use a rare item to transfer blades really hampers your ability to experiment builds.

Insanely baffling design decision.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I got KOS-MOS from a common core crystal SUPER early into the game lol. But yes I got a few rare early and then a million rare crystals later and I was getting NOTHING. So I gave up.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
this_is_bullshit_the_wire.gif

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
This is a totally shitty system and if the next game has anything like this in it, then I'm saving my money. The fact that a damn single player game has rates like this is just baffling. On top of that, even giving another driver a blade is a pain in the ass. The game is fun, but damn, this sucks. Never got KOS-MOS, either.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
As we figured, KOS-MOS is way much more difficult to get than anyone else. I thought it was cause she's the only light gacha blade in the game, but that's not it. They just made her hard to get just cause they wanted to. Damn you Monolith

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
As we figured, KOS-MOS is way much more difficult to get than anyone else. I thought it was cause she's the only light gacha blade in the game, but that's not it. They just made her hard to get just cause they wanted to. Damn you Monolith
That's how they getcha to spend that money.....wait.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got all rare blades by chapter 8.
*shrug*

and Kos-Mos was my 2nd

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
The gacha system wouldnt really be an issue if the pity system didnt just apply to 3 blades but all of them.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
....so can I use any of this to help me get KOS-MOS or am I still outta luck there?

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This will soon turn into a thread for people to gloat about how early kos mos dropped for them

rulerk1

Nov 14, 2017
ive only played XBX. For those who played both is this worse or better than XBX drop rates.

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
This gacha shit has no place in a full priced game. Especially since it's just a barrier for no reason.

I think the purpose is for people to have different experiences and promote exploration in party composition, but im pretty sure there a better ways to slowly introduce you to different blades.

Its was probably one of the young designers basically going "yo people play a lot of gacha games right? i bet they would love it here as well"

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Column 5 - Vale, Ursula, Floren

Guess I'm in this column because these were my first three rares in that order.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I got Perceval, Azami, and Adenine in that exact order so I believe this.

I got KOS-MOS in chapter 4. :)

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I finally gave up on KOS-MOS (and the other blades I was missing) and finished the game a month or so back. I don't regret the decision.

XB2 is a special game, and is in my top 10 of all time, but that gacha is bullshit. Why didn't they just let you use core crystals as currency and let you get what you wanted? Why not make a super hard quest for KOS-MOS? So weird that they even did this.

I'll probably go back for a NG+ run, but I bet the blades from that are going to be stupid rare too.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I never pulled KOS-MOS in my 90 hour playtime.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine how much better the game would be if you got all the rare blades via quests or specific objectives instead of the gatcha system. It was just so unneeded and this game would be infinitely better off for it. You still could've had the gatcha system for common blades but tying a majority of the rare ones to it is just not a good mechanics. Beating the game and still missing like 6 rares isn't a fun feeling.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
having a gacha system in this game is so incredibly stupid and pointless. You can't even spend real money on it, so... like whats the point?

Also the whole having to use a rare item to transfer blades really hampers your ability to experiment builds.

Insanely baffling design decision.

It's probably because of the gachapon that originated the term. It's a fever in japan since always, so that's why it's viewd as common and why it wasn't a paid item. The act to got something good or bad is the thinking behind it.

MG_0223-1000x667.jpg

Daknight

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped bothering with the blade pull after awhile. The animation time, the rng luck for rare blades and mostly that you will probably never used then. I played the game changing one blade or two at most (outside of the damn field skills).

I also stopped bothering with chest, I rather hard to find or get chest would have a guarante blade making doing some quest worthwhile.