• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
In before Sakurai spoils blade Nia somewhere in the new Smash XD

Malos would be sweet, but really I'd take any playable character from Xenoblade 2. Rex and Pyra/Mythra, Nia, or even solo Pyra/Mythra would be cool. I'm guessing they'd go Rex and Pyra/Mythra though, since that captures the game mechanics the best.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
l6v6zvny8dk01.jpg

Alternate costumes please Takahashi!

Choco and his Blades are miracle
DX2xTU-U8AIVpxG.jpg:large
Praxis can take those water bubble things off?!? Huge revelation

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
In before Sakurai spoils blade Nia somewhere in the new Smash XD

Malos would be sweet, but really I'd take any playable character from Xenoblade 2. Rex and Pyra/Mythra, Nia, or even solo Pyra/Mythra would be cool. I'm guessing they'd go Rex and Pyra/Mythra though, since that captures the game mechanics the best.

I think Rex with a mechanic where he could swap between Pyra, Mythra, and Roc or Nia (depending on how spoiler-y they want to be) as his Blades would be pretty great, although that may take a bit too much work depending on how much they have it change his moves.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think Rex with a mechanic where he could swap between Pyra, Mythra, and Roc or Nia (depending on how spoiler-y they want to be) as his Blades would be pretty great, although that may take a bit too much work depending on how much they have it change his moves.

It's a shame there isn't an obvious non spoilery third choice for Rex. Either Roc or Blade Nia have obvious story spoilers. The only option I can think of other than relatively random rare or common blades that incorporates the switching is to just Ignore the canon and go with Pyra/Dromarc/Poppi Alpha

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
It's a shame there isn't an obvious non spoilery third choice for Rex. Either Roc or Blade Nia have obvious story spoilers. The only option I can think of other than relatively random rare or common blades that incorporates the switching is to just Ignore the canon and go with Pyra/Dromarc/Poppi Alpha
Rex gameplay, without going full late game spoiler will be
Rex with Pyra only
Smash special: Pyra changes into Mythra and Siren satellite strikes the arena

Discharger

Oct 25, 2017
Favourite story moment?

Oh, man.. how do you even pick a favorite? I mean, in terms of favorites, all the emotional moments have a special place for me. If I had to pick one, it might be the dinner scene in Chapter 10 where Rex had been subjected to those visions of all his companions verbally tearing him down, culminating in that moment where he breaks down during the meal, wondering where he went wrong. One of Rex's best moments, and immediately after it ends, the cast gets a chance to talk to the Architect and learn the actual origin of the world they live in from the being responsible.

Actually, pretty much all of Chapter 10 was great.

I'm sorry but "One Last You" >>>>> "Drifting Souls"

Engage me bros!

I mean... this soundtrack is one of the all time greats, and although I love both songs, I'd rank One Last You over Drifting Souls as well if I had to rank them. Both are terrific though.

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
Finished the game a few days ago and now read through the whole thread. :D

I'm really bummed out that I didn't play any Xenoblade games before. Sold my Wii before the first one came out and never owned a Wii U. The ending still works, but I feel like I missed out on so much due to not knowing the story of XB1. It's really cool that they did this though and I understand not wanting to reveal the connection beforehand. Also glad they didn't choose to put the bad/good ending stuff in, I would've been extremly disappointed getting the bad ending after taking 128h to beat it. I think we basically got the good ending, just more vague so you have to ask yourself "wait, she did retain her memories, didn't she?!".

Fantastic game overall, really not much to complain about (since they fixed the worst issues for me). My GOTY 2017, slightly above Super Mario Odyssey. Looking forward to the story DLC now. Since we're probably not gonna get post-game stuff and I don't see them doing a prequel to the story either, I just hope it adds story to some of the main characters. I think there is some potential with the whole rebellion thing going on in Mor Adain and Morag didn't get quite the deep character development as for example Nia. Some more on Zeke's background would also be highly appreciated, his story was left even more barebone.

I see that as just teasing lol. There is zero moe moe interaction between Rex and Morag at all.^_^

Hell, there is more interaction between Zeke and Morag actually lol.(Morag is 100% bro con though.)

So I haven't seen anybody mentioning it: Am I the only one who got the vibe that Morag and Brighid are an item? ^_^ Brighid said that blades and drivers being a couple isn't unusual and she gives advice to Rex and Pyra that seems to be coming from experience! There are also a few scenes where Morag and Brighid are rather coy about each other.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see Brighid on Morag is more of a mother or sister relation there. Morag seems to be still quite green even with all that power she had. So Brighid is her voice of reason.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the club, join in the conversation and the (light-hearted) arguments.

Favourite story moment?

Thank you, glad to be here!

Probably the "Klaus" scene... my god. Anything involving Jin in the later chapters especially were incredible. His character type, and design was very clearly inspired by Sephiroth which I like. Whoever did his English VA knocked it out of the park!

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Oh, man.. how do you even pick a favorite? I mean, in terms of favorites, all the emotional moments have a special place for me. If I had to pick one, it might be the dinner scene in Chapter 10 where Rex had been subjected to those visions of all his companions verbally tearing him down, culminating in that moment where he breaks down during the meal, wondering where he went wrong. One of Rex's best moments, and immediately after it ends, the cast gets a chance to talk to the Architect and learn the actual origin of the world they live in from the being responsible.

Actually, pretty much all of Chapter 10 was great.

Thank you, glad to be here!

Probably the "Klaus" scene... my god. Anything involving Jin in the later chapters especially were incredible. His character type, and design was very clearly inspired by Sephiroth which I like. Whoever did his English VA knocked it out of the park!

Chapter 10 was excellent, offering up lots of memorable scenes in quick succession.

I do think the dinner scene was one of the best in the game and really made me feel for Rex, who I enjoyed throughout.

I dug some of the really goofy humorous scenes as well. Comedy is difficult to get right and what is awkward for some will totally deliver for others - however, it really worked for me throughout.

I also though Jin was great throughout, as was Malos.

I'd give a shoutout to the closing cutscene of Chapter 1 too, when Pyra grabs the sword herself and goes to work, fighting Malos. It was a rad moment.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how they introduce Klaus right at the end but still make him feel like a fully formed character. Good stuff.

Discharger

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the flight at the end over the dead city until they get to the sea and when it dawns to everyone that "this is Elysium! They made it!"

Yeah, that was great as well. "Elysium was here all along" and Rex looking at the inactive core Crystal and saying "we're finally here" got me too.

Another line that hit me, both times it was used was the "I'm glad to have met all of you" line. Klaus used it near the end of his scene, and coming from someone who has been though so much, the fact he could find something positive in the mess he created was great. Knowing what he did to their universe, and doing what he could to try to atone for it, and giving him a positive note of reflection to go out on was great.

Of course the second use of the line I was referring to was when Morag said it to Rex and the rest in the ending. At that point, Poppi already had me on the edge with her performance, but that line from Morag pushed me over. Didn't really recover either - they did a great job with that ending sequence.

What can I say.. looks like I've got a weak spot for goodbyes

Last edited:

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
It's amazing how they introduce Klaus right at the end but still make him feel like a fully formed character. Good stuff.
Adam Howden putting in WORK. It would be really cool if in 3 theres another universe where Klaus is a random character / party member. To anyone new to the series he would just seem random, but to fans of the series it would be a real OH SHIT moment.

Also its a good excuse to get Adam Howden back again. :D

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Adam Howden putting in WORK. It would be really cool if in 3 theres another universe where Klaus is a random character / party member. To anyone new to the series he would just seem random, but to fans of the series it would be a real OH SHIT moment.
Can confirm, just finished the game (finally) and was like wait. WAAAAAAAAAAAIT. That shit was so dope.

Yeah, that was great as well. "Elysium was here all along" and Rex looking at the inactive core Crystal and saying "we're finally here" got me too.

Another line that hit me, both times it was used was the "I'm glad to have met all of you" line. Klaus used it near the end of his scene, and coming from someone who has been though so much, the fact he could find something positive in the mess he created was great. Knowing what he did to their universe, and doing what he could to try to atone for it, and giving him a positive note of reflection to go out on was great.

Of course the second use of the line I was referring to was when Morag said it to Rex and the rest in the ending. At that point, Poppi already had me on the edge with her performance, but that line from Morag pushed me over. Didn't really recover either - they did a great job with that ending sequence.

What can I say.. looks like I've got a weak spot for goodbyes
Yeah, me too. I was choking up through the whole sequence. What a great ending.

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished tonight finally. I don't know what to think...Some gameplay mechanics and map/level designs really wore me down. As well, the dialogue and interactions went back-and-forth between grounded and over-the-top silly (not just when they were trying to be funny). This game had some really high-highs, and some really low-lows for me.

I'm sure this forum is tired of the discussion, but I plan on starting a thread at some point dedicated to how disappointed I was with the female designs in this game, and the women's overall treatment. Just a shame.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Just finished tonight finally. I don't know what to think...Some gameplay mechanics and map/level designs really wore me down. As well, the dialogue and interactions went back-and-forth between grounded and over-the-top silly (not just when they were trying to be funny). This game had some really high-highs, and some really low-lows for me.

I'm sure this forum is tired of the discussion, but I plan on starting a thread at some point dedicated to how disappointed I was with the female designs in this game, and the women's overall treatment. Just a shame.

It's a shame you felt that way, but I respect your opinion. But what I would say is, there's plenty of threads already discussing sexualised design, many of which discuss characters in this game in great detail.

Maybe post in those? I'm not sure we need another thread talking about the designs in XC2 exclusively.

Don't let me stop you of course, but it's well-trodden ground at this point. Or better yet, have the discussion here? This is not a fanboy thread and we all accept the game has problems.

I feel bad even suggesting these things, but we know the inevitable 15-page thread will turn into an absolute shit show, where the game is ripped to pieces and people who like the game are belittled, and painted as otaku sex pests.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Still trying to gigure out myself how I feel about the game now that the dust has settled down.

Sexualized design wouldn't be my #1 pet peeve, but it's clearly an issue with the game.

I think I may do a second run after patch 1.4 or 1.5 if they finally fix the stupid ass affinity chart "visit" requirement.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA

I would recomend just airing your grievances here. I like to think this would be a pretty reasonable place for discussion, for everyone here as fully played the game and understands its issues. If you create a new thread about the sexualized designs, it would just blow up and become a giant mess (As the previous design discussion threads have become). If you go in-depth here, I feel like there is a better chance for reasonable discussion.

Don't let me stop you. I agree that the designs are problematic, and if you're really determined then go ahead and make the thread. I just can't see it ending well going by previous Xenoblade 2 character design threads, and Xenoblade 2's character designs have already been talked about in great detial.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably post just in here then at some point. My only thing against posting here is that I wasn't sure if this thread had much activity any longer to discuss it in.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Probably when the party first landed in Morytha. I knew there would be something cool beneath the clouds, and ever since FF Adventure I've always loved the "character falls from a high place into a strange new land" bit (in FFA it happens like 3 different times!)

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

At this point you'd be beating a dead horse. That discussion has been going on for months and months. A lot of people agree with you

Discharger

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably post just in here then at some point. My only thing against posting here is that I wasn't sure if this thread had much activity any longer to discuss it in.

This definitely seems like as good a place as anywhere here to post this. The game has been out a while, most of the discussion on this subject has died down, and almost everyone posting in here has completed XBC2

You aren't alone in feeling this, and in fact in my own case, I almost didn't buy this game at all for the same reason. In fact, when discussing this issue on this forum in a reasonable manner without throwing insults around, I'm fairly certain others blocked me rather than discuss the issue.

It's too bad, as this is definitely a conversation we should be having in this day and age, as this game could still have accomplished all the positive traits it is being recognized for without taking the fan service as far as it did. Realistically, this isn't a problem with just this game, as many other jrpgs run into the same issues. Thankfully, I feel like this is something that will eventually lessen over time, but it's a shame it had to happen in XBC2, as in my opinion, this game is still worth experiencing in spite of any issues it has.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
man i just finished my first play through. 179 hours later, what a FANTASTIC experience, going through all the discussions and lore about what i just witnessed one of my games of the year in terms of jrpg's so damn good!!

Dec 20, 2017
80 hours later, mostly just did main story stuff, and I gotta say that was an absolute joy. A lot of the space stationy stuff with klauss seemed a bit out of left field and honestly so did the mechs but from reading the thread that stuff looks more to be established from previous xenoblades so that's my own fault for having not played them.

I liked how pyras memory was left ambiguous. It doesn't really matter in the end either way so they just left it up to you. Unless there is a definite answer I'm missing? I'm not so good at reading lips.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
I liked how pyras memory was left ambiguous. It doesn't really matter in the end either way so they just left it up to you. Unless there is a definite answer I'm missing? I'm not so good at reading lips.
Unused subtitles found from datamining seem to imply there might have been two endings planned at one point. One where Pyra says "Hello, I'm Pyra" or Mythra says "Hello, I'm Mythra" and another where Pyra or Mythra says "Hello, Rex."

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This definitely seems like as good a place as anywhere here to post this. The game has been out a while, most of the discussion on this subject has died down, and almost everyone posting in here has completed XBC2

You aren't alone in feeling this, and in fact in my own case, I almost didn't buy this game at all for the same reason. In fact, when discussing this issue on this forum in a reasonable manner without throwing insults around, I'm fairly certain others blocked me rather than discuss the issue.

It's too bad, as this is definitely a conversation we should be having in this day and age, as this game could still have accomplished all the positive traits it is being recognized for without taking the fan service as far as it did. Realistically, this isn't a problem with just this game, as many other jrpgs run into the same issues. Thankfully, I feel like this is something that will eventually lessen over time, but it's a shame it had to happen in XBC2, as in my opinion, this game is still worth experiencing in spite of any issues it has.

Eh, extremely unlikely since these kind of things happens because of state of the society in Japan and how those things are normalized for the different media and industries, which is why those games and content don't have a backlash in there since the reality does the same things (like the treatment of women, the women being for the most part conservative, Teenage Gravure Idols posing in sexy bikinis and other diverse examples that makes such things seemed as normal by people raised in Japan)

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just dropping by to talk about Jin for a sec. He's basically a fully realized, fleshed out and interesting version of whatever they were attempting with Sephiroth in FF7.

I just wanted to bring it up due to comparisons I see get made about their looks and surface level edginess. Same can be said for most of the cast. It's so easy to tell when someone really didn't play the game, gave up too early or just wanted to hate it regardless of how good it truly is.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
How can you not though lol

Ha! Nope and it's something that has been the subject of much discussion in here. And every time it is I get bummed out the story DLC isn't post game.

It's interesting that it seems two endings were originally planned (well, that's what the datamine suggests) but were ultimately scrapped.

Maybe they could drop a more concrete answer to the dialogue question via the DLC?

It's already been said that it won't be post game, but those who have completed the game will enjoy it more, so maybe it could answer that somehow.

Just dropping by to talk about Jin for a sec. He's basically a fully realized, fleshed out and interesting version of whatever they were attempting with Sephiroth in FF7.

I just wanted to bring it up due to comparisons I see get made about their looks and surface level edginess. Same can be said for most of the cast. It's so easy to tell when someone really didn't play the game, gave up too early or just wanted to hate it regardless of how good it truly is.

I think Jin has a really good arc, which could be enhanced if the DLC does go back in time and shows the Aegis War.

As for your second point, you're not wrong. There's some people who really hate the game... and some of the people I've seen dish out the harshest criticism, didn't make it past the opening chapters.

Fair enough, they're still entitled to their opinion, but the venom on show at times feels way over the top to me (ie a big fan of the game who can acknowledge its flaws).

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game, I haven't finished Xeno1 yet but I had gotten up to the point where you can go do the final battle. (I don't know why I stopped playing it but I intend to go back to it after this!) Either way, seeing Klaus and then hearing the voice saying that they are going to kill a god made me instantly connect him to Zanza even though it's been years since I booted the game up. It left me really giddy and makes me want to finally finish it even more now.

I really enjoyed the cast, especially Morag. Rex was oddly not as annoying as most upbeat JRPG protags are, I found him actually charming which surprised me. As for Jin, I was kind of disappointed by him and I guess the rest of Torna? I think I'm just missing what Jin's whole arc was besides seeking an answer as to why Blades are forced to forget, which isn't really all that addressed except by Rex's answer of it's supposed to simulate a person dying and their wishes passing on to the next generation. So a blade is simultaneously the old and new generation?

Anyway, makes me curious about Xeno X and how that possibly ties into this since I didn't play that one. Also, the ending made me curious as to what was attacking the station that Klaus was at.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game, I haven't finished Xeno1 yet but I had gotten up to the point where you can go do the final battle. (I don't know why I stopped playing it but I intend to go back to it after this!) Either way, seeing Klaus and then hearing the voice saying that they are going to kill a god made me instantly connect him to Zanza even though it's been years since I booted the game up. It left me really giddy and makes me want to finally finish it even more now.

I really enjoyed the cast, especially Morag. Rex was oddly not as annoying as most upbeat JRPG protags are, I found him actually charming which surprised me. As for Jin, I was kind of disappointed by him and I guess the rest of Torna? I think I'm just missing what Jin's whole arc was besides seeking an answer as to why Blades are forced to forget, which isn't really all that addressed except by Rex's answer of it's supposed to simulate a person dying and their wishes passing on to the next generation. So a blade is simultaneously the old and new generation?

Anyway, makes me curious about Xeno X and how that possibly ties into this since I didn't play that one. Also, the ending made me curious as to what was attacking the station that Klaus was at.

Blades forget because of their data being beamed to the Aegises/the station upon their going back into their Core Crystals.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Forgive my rant.

I'm not looking at this thread, but I just got to the part where Mythra appears and this game has got to be one of the worst written games I've played period. I usually avoid garbage like this (which is why this can qualify as "worst" for me), but I was tricked because Xenoblade and X were decent to good in the writing department.

Fucking garbage shounen anime shit, starting with little girl getting kidnapped because she's stupid, Pyra makes a stupid anime decision to go alone without telling anybody (which turns out to not matter anyways because this story is ass). Only decent character sacrifices himself for nothing because the main character is such a shit. The villains are shit, stupid-ass punk asshole that speaks like everything is a play is fucking awful and cringey. Everyone just powering up like it's dragonball z without any of the charm and all of the bad decisions. "I WILL NEVER USE MY SECRET POWER, HNNNNNN I'M USING MY SECRET POWER" Suddenly becomes a super saiyan who is also no longer pyra because this game can't get dumb enough as it is. I'm sitting here at the party formation screen after this "tryharding to be epic, but is actually just frustratingly stupid" scene and I no longer want to play the game. I haven't played a game with writing this poor since the last 3rd of Dragon Age II.

Once again, forgive the rant. I'm probably just gonna let this sit here until the switch turns itself off, go cleanse myself with a Falcom game, and come back after I've forgotten everything I just saw.