stn

Oct 28, 2017
Playing this series for the first time ever, am really digging it. Is the correct order of play 1 > Future Connect > 2 > Golden Torma (or whatever its called)?

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best place to find ice cabbages? I've been getting every collectible on Valak Mountain and haven't gotten one yet.

Oct 25, 2017
First time player currently 39 hours in. This has quickly become one of my favorite games ever. I notice I'm always 2-3 levels above the enemies so I decided to play in expert mode the rest of the way unless I hit a roadblock with a boss or whatever.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Playing this series for the first time ever, am really digging it. Is the correct order of play 1 > Future Connect > 2 > Golden Torma (or whatever its called)?
there is no order. play what belongs together in the order it came out. Torna is an expansion to 2, so play that after. FC is the epilogue to 1. nothing more to that. (this is also addressed in the OP btw)

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
First time player currently 39 hours in. This has quickly become one of my favorite games ever. I notice I'm always 2-3 levels above the enemies so I decided to play in expert mode the rest of the way unless I hit a roadblock with a boss or whatever.
And thus he became a wise person.

I just began and I plan on remaining at level 3 for a while lol.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I've been super overleveled in my playthrough lol. I figure I played the game at normal levels by skipping most of the side quests when I originally played the game on Wii. This time I'm actually enjoying the quests and trying to build up affinity with the regions and everything as I go. I'm sure it's fine if I'm level 45 in chapter 8.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Yeah, that's the ideal order to play the games. Torna is a prequel story but it's best played after 2 due to spoilers and contextual reasons.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

Just stay on expert mode and tune your levels up or down as necesary, no need to go back out of expert at any point imo.

Sharla not healing when you need to be healed is next level annoying

I just got Sharla and Im playing as her. Im surprised how in long battles I dont have my heals up in the most critical moments. If a fight starts going wrong is hard to recover.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best place to find ice cabbages? I've been getting every collectible on Valak Mountain and haven't gotten one yet.
I believe it's around the church, but honestly so rare, you're better off just randomly wandering around and picking up any collectables you see. If you managed to get to one of the secret areas, then jumping off that area into the exit pool then that sometimes spawns Ice Cabbages too.

Sharla not healing when you need to be healed is next level annoying
I just got Sharla and Im playing as her. Im surprised how in long battles I dont have my heals up in the most critical moments. If a fight starts going wrong is hard to recover.
Are you guys using your AP to level her arts? Those usually reduce CDs as well as increase healing potency. Also, maxing out her Devotion skill tree helps because the last skill reduces Healing CDs, too.

Starvald

Mar 24, 2020
My thoughts on Expert Mode and levels as a beginner on the franchise and the game:

I probably do around 80% of the available quests on an area before moving on. I know you can get more quests by getting more affinity with places but haven't tackled that yet. Sometimes I advance the story and go back to a previous area to finish off some quests. I was getting over leveled and I love the combat and a challenge.
I have turned on Expert Mode when I arrived at Gaur Plains and decreased my level to match the monsters then. Since then I have left the Expert Mode on and I am usually around the enemies levels when I advance the story.I just arrived at Makna Forest and have Shulk at level 26/27 and have banked Exp that could get me to level 35. I feel that I could also further decrease my level by 1 or 2 for some extra challenge but I am enjoying it as is right now.

I know that when you get new characters they won't get the banked EXP. For me that is not an issue because I don't need to raise my level unless there is a big spike in difficulty. I know it can also be an issue for completionists as they would have to grind to further advance the EXP on the new characters.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it's around the church, but honestly so rare, you're better off just randomly wandering around and picking up any collectables you see. If you managed to get to one of the secret areas, then jumping off that area into the exit pool then that sometimes spawns Ice Cabbages too.

Are you guys using your AP to level her arts? Those usually reduce CDs as well as increase healing potency. Also, maxing out her Devotion skill tree helps because the last skill reduces Healing CDs, too.

Yup I maxed it out so far

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just found another weird audio "bug" at the end of Chapter 11, in the final sequence. The original version of Tragic Decision plays although I know there's a new (and amazing) arranged version. You can only change between original and arranged for field and battle music, so I find it weird.
I think there's a few of these. I got the OG One Who Gets In Our Way for the cutscene at the beginning of Chapter 15. It's a little jarring after hearing see much of the remix.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been hunting for it for two hours. I have one piece already. I just need one more. This is torture.

Do you know the secret area in Valak with high level enemies? You can drop off it on the opposite side from where traveling to the landmark puts you. There's a circular pond of water there. Set the time to night and collect orbs in the water. Save and reset (or however you force respawns in this version, on Wii it was a soft reset). It really shouldn't take all that long. The water there has the highest chance to spawn it at night.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find ice cabbage that hard to find and even got an extra one or two. Found it near the wound landmark.

Just gotta reset the game (close it via menu and open it again) once you pick up the items to reset it. Got it within 5 minutes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know the secret area in Valak with high level enemies? You can drop off it on the opposite side from where traveling to the landmark puts you. There's a circular pond of water there. Set the time to night and collect orbs in the water. Save and reset (or however you force respawns in this version, on Wii it was a soft reset). It really shouldn't take all that long. The water there has the highest chance to spawn it at night.

I'm not sure. I think the only secret area I've found so far is the altar.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It just clicked on me that Mythra in japanese is called Hikari and that the Monado is the sword of light. Light in japanese is hikari.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
The one I'm talking about has extremely high level enemies. I believe it is called Valak Peak but I'm not 100% sure going just on memory.
No it's Three Sage Peak. You'll have to go there eventually for a couple side quests, the main trick of getting there is having quick step gems and timing your jump.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Beat the game!
Lost a lot of steam at the end but generally still a top game. I definitely understand where all the praise for the last 10 years has come from.

Story was very good, characters very good, combat and areas(for the most part) good and music was also very good, though some tracks are played so often that it feels like the OST is small

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I am 90 plus hours in, took a break from the main storyline to level up and get items. When you are at same level of the superbosses, its finally a fair fight.

I am mixed about this aspect of Xenoblade. You are heavily penalised for being at a lower level, but mainly in terms of accuracy. So its not just like you take heavy damage and give very little, but also your attacks will miss a lot.

Once you are in range of your enemy level, then you can have a fair fight. I like that the game warns you in advance, so you can start preparing for a big move. And I recognise so many of the systems in place in X and 2, for example, the idea of toppling an opponent and then initiating a chain attack to freeze time and dish out heavy damage. At this point, the fights flow like this: wait until your chain gauge is full, break or topple the enemy, start chain, and then do as much damage as you can, possibly extending the topple, while you can. Its exhilarating because you have limited opportunities, and you have to capitalise your openings.

One thing I cannot bring myself to do are the side-quests. I did some but because I felt like it, I don't want to grind them just to raise affinity levels. Now I am near the end of the game and I am unsure if I should try to get new skill trees for the characters or just wrap it up now and start a new game plus.

mèx

Dec 30, 2017
Italy
I'm not really feeling the new Mechanical Rhythm, something sounds off. Maybe the violins sound more authentic but also more subdued? I don't know if it's even that, I cannot put my finger on it. :|

The remastered field theme of (late game location) Fallen Arm is truly amazing though.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
when you revisit Central Factory, the teleporter to Mechonis Field is gone, but you can still go back to Agniratha. Turns out I missed a UM there, lol

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting thing I noticed that may be common knowledge, but I'll mention it nonetheless: once you unlock a certain vanity armor/weapon skin, it is unlocked forever.

So if you buy out the inventory of a merchant to unlock new armor/weapon skins and then reload a save from prior to that (to save money), you'll still have everything you just unlocked before reloading.
WTF, it's like unlocked on a system level rather than on each save file? That's amazing.

Hey all, I am looking for some guides and tips on how to play with Riki and Melia and I tried YouTube but I am kind of getting into spoiler territories (thanks YouTube Recommendations). Could anyone hook me up with some guides that remain spoiler free, I would really appreciate it.
Don't have a guide, but I can tell you how to play Melia.

Melia's thing is that she casts buffs on the party while holding elementals and then discharges those buffs to deal damage. You can have three elementals active at once. Since agility is an extremely valuable stat in this game, you generally want to keep the agility buff active the longest. And as Melia is the game's only real mage, Ether is her most important stat. Summon Bolt grants an Ether buff and does her highest damage. So the general pattern when I play Melia is:

Summon Wind
Summon Bolt
Summon Blaze or Earth

Then while those are recharging, you can get in

Spear Break followed by Starlight Kick to topple stuff, or alternately, Mind Blast if it's available

Discharge two elementals
Summon Bolt
Summon Copy

Now you are back up to three elementals, and your party has had buffed agility the whole time. Wait until Summon Wind is ready to be summoned again, and then discharge all three elementals and immediately resummon Wind and start the cycle over.

Playing this way allows your party to have agility buffed by 20% almost constantly, while doing buffed Ether damage due to Bolt and random helpful other things like toppling and sealing enemy arts via Mind Blast, which also gives you enough time for her summons to recharge.

Also, if you're drawing too much aggro with her (as she can do quite a lot of damage), build up her affinity with Reyn and link the skill that allows her to wear heavy armour.