• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Yep .. use it all the time. BUT I am a unique case... i run pressstartonce.com which uploads title screens to games so thanks to Gamefly (which I abuse lol). I have ran many physical games off mY XSX.

Otherwise... for normal gaming.. very little.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't used it yet, but I'm glad it's there. I could see myself getting a disc if it's on a great sale physically but not digitally. I could also see myself buying LOTR UHD. With that said, the only games I've played so far have been free with XBLG or on Gamepass. I have bought a bit of DLC, however.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I used it so far was when testing out the difference between my dedicated 4K Blu-ray player. No games have been inserted.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have quite a few physical games already. I got AC Valhalla and Yakuza 7 at launch and I bought the Ultimate Edition of Control and Resident Evil 8 and they're just the Series X games. I didn't have an Xbox One so I ended up double dipping on the remakes of Resident Evil 2 and 3, The Evil Within 2 (long before it was added to Game Pass), Far Cry 4, even Metro Exodus. Basically anything that I want to play that runs in 4K or at 60fps that, obviously, my PS4 couldn't.

Game Pass does mean I don't need to buy so much physically, sure, but I still often do.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only for BC 360 games that were delisted before I had a chance to buy it or never listed on the digital marketplace.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yeah. I own a lot of games that were delisted before I could buy a digital copy, such as Forza Horizon 2, The Orange Box, Driver: San Francisco, and so on, so the disc drive is very important to my full enjoyment of the XSX.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't used the disk drive in my Series X once.

I don't understand this thread at all. People willingly pay more to have a version of a game that they don't actually own
Physical media isn't going to save you from the digital apocalypse. That disk you "own" is a glorified storage drive to move installation data to a console so you can then digitally download a copy of the Day 1 patch and anything else you need for the game to actually function.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
Not even once yet. I really probably should have just to test it out to be sure it worked but whatevers.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine's placed in a way that would be impossible to put one in.

I should probably test it before the end of its warranty.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
My Series X is a Gamepass box so I don't own any games on disc. This topic makes me realize I should probably try it out to see if it works.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Have no plans either. Only reason i used the one x was for movies...but i decided to go all digital there too some years ago.

"Ownership" of media is pretty overrated nowadays.

tomd96

Jul 6, 2018
It's replaced the Xbox One as my primary Blu-ray player, so yes quite a few times, but I'm trying to stick with digital for games now. The only Xbox game I've bought physically in years was Immortals, as it was briefly £10 on Amazon.

DarkCloud12X

Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost entirely digital. I have a few delisted XB1 and 360 titles that never got digital releases that I'll use in the drive. Aside from those the only disc I ever stick into my system is a movie or TV show. I watch a ton of UHD releases on the thing.

Cold storage options makes this a no brainer.

Oddly enough I'm almost the opposite on my Playstation devices due to the storage limitations I run into on them. The maximum external space you can attach to a Ps4/5 differs drastically from what I can connect to my Xbox systems. So I have a mix of digital and physical on the PS devices to save on constant redownloading.

That all said I won't buy a console without a disc drive if I have the option to get one. Never know when a game you want could get delisted and leave physical as your only option.

Last edited:

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I use mine for Blu-ray and UHD movies. I haven't bought a game on disk since the launch week of the original Xbox One and PS4.

Mar 8, 2018
I've been essentially all-digital since 2019. And that's even better on Xbox with quick resume. So, even though I have physical 360 games, I've been slowly replacing them with the digital versions.

I think Ring Fit Adventure is the only physical game I've bought in more than two years.

Feb 9, 2018
I got my Series X like three weeks ago, and first thing I did when I got mine was put my MCC disc in the system to install it. I haven't installed anything else because I haven't played much else aside from a couple of games I've tried out on Game Pass. I've been meaning to reinstall Halo 5 off of disc, but I don't play that as much as the MCC so I've been procrastinating. I plan on installing Doom Eternal some time soon and playing that finally since it got an update. I know it's on GP, but since I already have it on disc I'll use that to save on bandwidth. And I'll definitely be getting Halo Infinite on disc, because any games I know I want I will still buy physical.

Also movies, because I have a lot of Blu-rays.

Uga

Oct 31, 2017
So far only used it for this
cf2YUAB.jpg

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I have a disc in it right now so yes. I prioritize playing physical media 100000000x more than grabbing a download.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I haven't once yet but I'm hoping the UHD Bluray Player gets to the point where it's someday a very quality player. I don't buy movies anymore but I own some of my favorites on UHD Bluray and don't have a good dedicated player anymore, and I'd like to see my Series X or PS5 step up.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I'm mostly digital but I still use my disc drive regularly. I have some BC One and 360 games that I picked up cheap, some of which aren't available digitally either (Forzá Horizon 1&2, Driver: San Francisco, Arkham Origins, Midnight Club).

Digital is obviously more convinient but I very much value having the option of physical for when something is cheaper or I really want to properly own a copy.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Recieved mine on launch day. Have never put a disk in it, I only assume it works lol

Gooner

Oct 15, 2020
I have used it a couple of times, but it's so loud when installing BC games and cheap retail copies (PS5 is also loud when installing games) that I now just leave the room when installing and watch TV.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I keep Forza Horizon (the original, as I missed it being available for purchase digitally) in there, though I haven't played it in a long time.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought a physical game since the PS2 gen. Can't imagine why I ever would again.

OP, I definitely agree with you. I'd love to be able to buy a Series X with no optical drive.