• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
well. since im skipping on a few games and the path of exile expansion is a few weeks away, now seems like a perfect time to hop back into yakuza 0

It didnt hook me when I played the first couple missions but I didnt exactly give it a fair shake either.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Greetings everyone! Before my impending 'announcement', I would greatly appreciate if you guys could follow my Twitch channel. I plan on doing daily (yes, DAILY) livestreams of both Yakuza 2 and KIWAMI 2 simultaneously. Appreciate the help. https://www.twitch.tv/theelecplay
I like the sound of that, be cool to see the same scenes/set pieces in both old and new simultaneously. I'll have to give it a watch when I get the chance.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
http://live.nicovideo.jp/gate/lv308249017

Famitsu's streaming show with Yokoyama and Aika. This streaming is supposed to show us a new cabaret management game.

11/9 20:00 (JST) (in 24 hours roughly)

Sadly, this steaming is niconico only.
-you need to make a niconico account
-terrible video quality if you do not have a premium account

Enjoy....

Famitsu uploaded the last show with Yokoyama to youtube a couple of weeks later. We will be able to watch this streaming with decent quality before Kiwami 2 is out...I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifm8TwyFlCM

Famitsu uploaded the above stream on their youtube channel.

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
yay, I was sent to this thread by a shadowman16, whose name sounds like a Valiant Comic with a number attached to it.

I finally started playing Yakuza 0 last nite! man, it feels good to be back up in this game series!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
yay, I was sent to this thread by a shadowman16, whose name sounds like a Valiant Comic with a number attached to it.
Easy mistake to make! But its a riff on the Mega Man bastard boss Shadow Man (why I picked the one boss I can't consistently beat I'll never know!). I did love the recentish run of the Shadowman Valiant comic though.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry im not sure if this the right place to ask this.

Is there any difference between Yakuza 0 in PS4 PRO vs PS4 standart?

thanks

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
i played Y0 on both systems.
you can use Boost Mode on the Pro to eliminate screen tearing that's very often when running on a regular Ps4. it's silky smooth with boost mode.
Bar one boss fight. Weirdly, one of the end boss fights for Kiryu has a less than stellar frame rate, even using boost mode. Its
Kuze round 4
for those wondering. Never understood why that area is the one point where the frame rate struggled when the rest of the game is silky smooth.

Also worth noting boost mode fixes Kiwami as well. No screen tearing/frame rate dips anymore for that and the PS4 Pro also eliminates screen tearing and provides a more stable frame rate for Yakuza 6 as well. Be interesting to see how people find the Kiwami 2 demo this week - I'm very interested to see how performance is in that game, seeing that I've seen no screen tearing in any pre release footage (while it was super evident in 6). Makes me wonder if they've managed to get the engine running better on the base console as well (here's hoping).

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
If I had to skip Yakuza 2 for the time being (either until Kiwami 2 or getting hold of a physical copy in the near future), would 3 spoil some of the plot for me? Earlier, a friend of mine had a pretty shook reaction to what he referred to as a "huge plot twist" towards the end of 2.

Really don't wanna water-down what is considered to be the best story in the series if possible, lol. Kazama's revelation to Kiryu towards the end of Y1 was something I did not expect throughout all of my time with 0.

mO10sAP.jpg

For those that missed it, here is the Complete Series of the Yakuza Locations Tour videos where I compare real-life Kabukicho with Kamurocho:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0HKt-kbL9salfM8AniFF6VEkIygbcP_1
I love this, man. Thank you for your videos!

Last edited:

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only spoiler in 3 would be that you'll notice there's a character filling a position you knew someone else had, but that's about it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Yakuza, maybe more than any other series, can be played out of order without any problems. I think I went 4, 3, 5, 1, 2, Dead Souls, 0, 6, with no real ill-effects. There are always going to be a few plot points you might not catch, but I can't think of any way playing a later game in the series will ruin an earlier one. The stories are so self-contained, and there's no real over-arching grand plan to keep track of.

I mean, think about 0 and 1. If you played 1/Kiwami first, then it's great going to 0 and seeing how Kiryu and Nishiki's relationship was back in the old days. If you play 0 first, then seeing how it all ends up in 1 makes it hit that much harder. It works either way. If you play 3 before 2, I think the only thing that'll change is that you'll meet Kaoru and think "Oh, she's that lady from the start of 3, I wonder what her deal is"; it's really not going to spoil anything.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza stories are self contained but it also has the best feeling of growing up with the characters between games and it's incredibly rewarding to play them in order for many reasons. Obviously if you don't have the means to do so then it's fine to skip games or play them out of order, but otherwise it should be avoided and I think Y2 is literally the only one that has relatively small impact on the others.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate the responses, everyone!

It seems like not only is Kiwami meant to be a 'director's cut' of the previous games, but it bridges certain gaps between events of the story. I'm sure by the time Kiwami 3 is announced, Majima will return since the game takes place two years after the events of Yakuza 2. There might be certain plot elements with side characters that were never mentioned. When I was playing Kiwami, there was a segment in which Kiryu talks to Haruka about the Milennium Tower once being referred to as The Empty Lot.
I think I speak for everyone who started with 0 in saying that those continuity callbacks to 1988 are very much appreciated.

And let's just hope there's a Kiwami 3.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what a Kiwami 3 would really add, other than using the updated Dragon engine. Content wise they could add more mini games etc. but its not really needed, 3 wasn't really short on stuff to do like 1 or 2 were. The real advantage to a re-release of 3 would be getting an uncut version released in English finally. Its really hard to go back to the English version after playing through the Japanese version.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Nagoshi briefly shared his thought on Kiwami 3-5 a few months ago as they were PS3 games and modernized enough. He didn't think they were needed to be remade. I don't remember where he said this. Maybe the august stream or something that happened right after the announcement event. IIRC, Kuroda asked this and he replied like the above. His thought could be changed in years (PS5 will be around the corner by then???). I want Kenzan Kiwami more than 3-5 though.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Ishin localization would be great above all else imo, that game looks awesome. I guess Kiwami 3-5 would be unnecessary at this point in time. A more reasonable request would be 3-5 PS4 compilation, with 60 FPS and 3's cut content restored.

I've not played 6, but in the videos I've seen, I don't know if I'm liking the look of Dragon engine combat. It seems meatier and more grounded, but without the speed or fluidity of 0. I also liked the quick style swapping of Kiwami. Tough to beat 4 different styles that can be swapped between with no delay, once you unlock the relevant abilities to do so. Hopefully someone can speak on 6's combat, and what they thought of it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Combat wise I liked 6 for the most part, but its definitely hurt by its more limited moves list. Some moves are incorporated into your heat state (R2 when you have heat) like auto picking up weapons when attacking ala beast mode but it does feel different compared to past games. Not bad mind you, just different. As for the speed, I swear Kiwami 2 looks faster/more fluid. Just an opinion based on some of the footage shown so far from TGS.

Nagoshi briefly shared his thought on Kiwami 3-5 a few months ago as they were PS3 games and modernized enough. He didn't think they were needed to be remade. I don't remember where he said this. Maybe the august stream or something that happened right after the announcement event. IIRC, Kuroda asked this and he replied like the above. His thought could be changed in years (PS5 will be around the corner by then???). I want Kenzan Kiwami more than 3-5 though.
I remember those comments as well. I'd rather get a series of remakes on PS4 and PS5 though, just because I want them all on 1 platform but I definitely don't see the need to really remake them. Well, maybe to give fans more Majima but that's about it.

I also really want Kenzan Kiwami. Just because I love that game so much.

What's interesting is the fact that although Kiwami is a remake of Yakuza 1, not all substories made the cut. In fact some new ones replaced the originals. In Yakuza 1, there were a series of substories where Kiryu buys paintings from an artist and I think the Cafe Alps owner buys more paintings. Upon completing all of the painting substories, the game says 'five years later, the artist became the most popular painter in France' or something like that. This was missing from Kiwami.
Yeah, I remember those side stories as well. Plus several hostess side stories were cut (since the hostess count was cut from 4-5? to 2). Not too bothered about what was cut, mainly just because I felt the new stuff we got was better than the original side stories.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I've not played 6, but in the videos I've seen, I don't know if I'm liking the look of Dragon engine combat. It seems meatier and more grounded, but without the speed or fluidity of 0. I also liked the quick style swapping of Kiwami. Tough to beat 4 different styles that can be swapped between with no delay, once you unlock the relevant abilities to do so. Hopefully someone can speak on 6's combat, and what they thought of it.

It's a step down from 0/Kiwami, to be sure, but it's still enjoyable. It's probably my favourite of the pre-0, 30FPS, single style combat systems, if that puts it in perspective. Kiryu has elements of a lot of the previous characters' styles, like a Tanimura-esque counter, a Saejima-esque 'spin a dude around' throw, that kind of thing. There's some decent depth to it (though the throw is probably going to be your go-to move in any fight against a lot of guys because it's just so useful for clearing some space), and a lot of fun to be had with the Heat moves. You fight alongside AI buddies quite often in 6, and there are some great team-up Heat moves. Great bossfights, too.

0/Kiwami is definitely the pinnacle of the series, though, with all the styles and 60FPS. Maybe we'll get back there after a few more Dragon Engine games, though. You can tell a lot of 6's development time and budget must have gone towards creating the Dragon Engine, but now they've got that finished I'm sure they'll be able to focus on expanding some of the game mechanics again.

As for possible remakes of 3, 4 and 5, I'd be OK with some nicely done HD Remasters for PS4. 60FPS, 1080p, with maybe a few little quality of life additions like being able to save anywhere and pause cutscenes. I mean, I'd happily take full Kiwami-ised versions, too, but I don't think the PS3 games really need it the way the PS2 ones did.

Last edited:

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, is anyone here getting the JP version of Kiwami 2 next month? I could wait like I did with 6 but since I got Kiwami 1 JP, I felt like I might as well add to that with Kiwami 2 XD.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, is anyone here getting the JP version of Kiwami 2 next month? I could wait like I did with 6 but since I got Kiwami 1 JP, I felt like I might as well add to that with Kiwami 2 XD.
A couple of us in this thread are grabbing it. I'll be downloading the demo this week then getting my physical copy as soon as the game is released (just hoping now Amazon Japan don't mess me around!)

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I'll get that demo too just to witness the Dragon engine a bit. I hope we have some tutorial for search and controls because I can't read Japanese, lol.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Demo is coming out in Japan (and probably Hong Kong) PSN stores on the 22nd of November.

As for controls - if you've ever played a Yakuza game before you'll be fine since they control pretty much identically. Bar the story bits obviously being hard to understand without speaking the language, the menu's and general gameplay will be super easy to pick up controls wise.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017

convo

Oct 25, 2017
If the demo is like the last Y6 demo it's gonna be the full game download size again, and once you have bought the game digitally the whole game unlocks. it's inefficient and efficient at the same time. I wonder if Majima is gonna be part of the demo.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If the demo is like the last Y6 demo it's gonna be the full game download size again, and once you have bought the game digitally the whole game unlocks. it's inefficient and efficient at the same time. I wonder if Majima is gonna be part of the demo.
I doubt Majima is part of the demo, unless you can sing karaoke with him. The demo takes place in Osaka - chapter 2 of the main game its the bit that was shown off at TGS. You do get several activities to take part in though - Virtual On in the arcade, the fighting arena, karaoke, the photography mini game...

I do wonder about the download size as well for the same reasons you mentioned above.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
In general, how do Yakuza 2's original subquests compare to 1's, because that was easily Kiwami's biggest disappointment after coming straight from 0.
Its been a while since I last played 2 so my memory is fuzzy on most of them, but I think it sits between 1 and 3 in terms of filler and meaningful stories (3 - or Kenzan was where things saw a step up in terms of side story writing in my opinion, with some ace (attorney) side stories included in both).
But in 2's case there are several that really stand out as some really great stories like
the fake Kiryu/Shinji hustling people, all the Host Club Adam side stories where Kiryu aims to become the number 1 host, The Amon clan back for revenge (a fav of mine as it introduces the rest of the Amon clan) and who could forget "Be My Baby". Perhaps one of the most famous side stories in the entire series!

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Skipped a lot of side content from 1 and 2, but the few stories I played in 2 were very in line with stuff from recent games. There's one in particular that's legendary and people always think of when someone mentions Y2 lol, it was so bizarrely funny to me that I think it was my first "so this is Yakuza lmao" moment with these games.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza stories are self contained but it also has the best feeling of growing up with the characters between games and it's incredibly rewarding to play them in order for many reasons.

Having played Zero and then Kiwami, I have to agree. I don't think Reina and Nishiki's outcomes in Kiwami would have been very impactful for me had I played that first and then Zero. Growing attached to those characters first made the story in Kiwami so much more meaningful, despite the average, somewhat anime-level writing of 1.

What's interesting is the fact that although Kiwami is a remake of Yakuza 1, not all substories made the cut. In fact some new ones replaced the originals. In Yakuza 1, there were a series of substories where Kiryu buys paintings from an artist and I think the Cafe Alps owner buys more paintings. Upon completing all of the painting substories, the game says 'five years later, the artist became the most popular painter in France' or something like that. This was missing from Kiwami.

I had no idea that stories were cut from the original. That painting substory reminds me of that one-off episode from Samurai Champloo. Sounds like they did the right thing on that one.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
2 has some good substories like Akimoto one, he never fails to give me a smile :) and would like to see him again :(, but 3 is where the substories grew on me.

Makaveli

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Just finished 2 on an emulator. Finished Yakuza 0 and Kiwami about 2 or so weeks ago and decided emulation would be the best way to go to get through the series before 6.

It was pretty great. Awesome boss fights, solid music, and the game was throwing so much crazy stuff at me at the end I was losing my mind. Really looking forward to playing Kiwami 2 now. I thought playing through 2 would make it easier to resist wanting to import Kiwami 2 but now I'm really itching to see some of those moments redone. At least I can focus my attention on 3, 4, and 5 for a bit.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
2 has some good substories like Akimoto one, he never fails to give me a smile :) and would like to see him again :(, but 3 is where the substories grew on me.

I loved his Kenzan story as well, really cracked me up. Pity he wasn't used in any other Yakuza games, I guess 6 would have been the best one to have him reappear 10 odd years later to see how he's getting on but instead we got the awesome conclusion to
Pocket Fighters
instead.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Can anyone tell me where I can get Slugger Majima to interrupt a fight in Kiwami? It's the last interruption I need!
There'll be a singular goon either just standing somewhere on the street or walking along. They'll talk to you once you bump into them and start a fight. It's different from regular fights in that they don't actively seek you out + you have dialogue at the start.

Once you defeat one or two, Majima shows up.

SpiffyGiffy

Oct 25, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
There'll be a singular goon either just standing somewhere on the street or walking along. They'll talk to you once you bump into them and start a fight. It's different from regular fights in that they don't actively seek you out + you have dialogue at the start.

Once you defeat one or two, Majima shows up.

Oh yeah I know that, and thanks. But aren't the interruptions location-based? Mad Dog is always around Mad Bowl and Breaker is around Theater Square, for example. I'm just wondering where the goon that trigger Slugger is.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Interruption locations... lets see if I can remember:

Tenkaichi St - I believe near the convenience store (opposite the intersection to the public park that leads to Nakamichi St)
Just south of the Millenium Tower, near the beef bowl restaurant
Shichifuku St - near the large building just west of MEB (the large building was the disco dance club in 0)
Theatre Square - just west of Debolah, on the path that leads up to Shichifuku St (where the pocket racing circuit is)

Only issue is, I don't remember which spawns which Majima. At a guess I think you want either Shichifuku or Theatre Square, at least I had thug Majima spawn most of the time around Tenkaichi and dagger (Mad Dog Majima) spawn around the millennium tower

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I'm going to stream Kiwami 2 too. I will have a national holiday, a free day and a weekend just after release so I will probably try to plat it in these days, I'm planning to play 16-20 hours a day on average.
Without cam and voice, actually I'm not a streamer anymore but if someone is still interested here is my channel: https://www.twitch.tv/SquirrelOfDojima

SpiffyGiffy

Oct 25, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Interruption locations... lets see if I can remember:

Tenkaichi St - I believe near the convenience store (opposite the intersection to the public park that leads to Nakamichi St)
Just south of the Millenium Tower, near the beef bowl restaurant
Shichifuku St - near the large building just west of MEB (the large building was the disco dance club in 0)
Theatre Square - just west of Debolah, on the path that leads up to Shichifuku St (where the pocket racing circuit is)

Only issue is, I don't remember which spawns which Majima. At a guess I think you want either Shichifuku or Theatre Square, at least I had thug Majima spawn most of the time around Tenkaichi and dagger (Mad Dog Majima) spawn around the millennium tower

Thanks for that. More specifically, the guys that trigger Slugger Majima are just out of that path beside a car on the right as you move onto Schichifuku St. Also, the guys who trigger Mad Dog Majima are just outside Mach Bowl. Pretty sure the one or Millennium Tower triggers Thug Majima, although I could be wrong.