• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, btw if you want to change the camera settings but you can't understand Japanese:

the setting are:
視点操作(縦)for vertical setting in third person
視点操作(横)for orizzontal setting in third person
主観モード視点操作(縦)for vertical setting in first person
and 主観モード視点操作(横)for orizzontal setting in first person

you can set them on 逆 inverted or 順 normal

I'd love to know who it is that insists on all Yakuza games defaulting to inverted cameras. It's always the first thing I change.

Hokuto boxart
DPOxJCEVwAEZ1g3

Goddamn that's good.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Yakuza 5.

I enjoyed most of it. There are some parts that didn't hold my attention (hunting) and some characters that just didn't click with me (Shinada) but overall I liked it. The ending was kinda meh for me though, I just don't enjoy the trope of hey, this minor character is actually this big bad this whole time. I think the way it was handled in 4 was better since atleast those characters had motivation. The guys from 5 didn't have as convincing reasons so everything just seemed petty at the end.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed most of it. There are some parts that didn't hold my attention (hunting) and some characters that just didn't click with me (Shinada) but overall I liked it. The ending was kinda meh for me though, I just don't enjoy the trope of hey, this minor character is actually this big bad this whole time. I think the way it was handled in 4 was better since atleast those characters had motivation. The guys from 5 didn't have as convincing reasons so everything just seemed petty at the end.

I liked 5 a lot, but, yeah, 4 definitely brings its story threads together a lot better.

5 has one of those stories where they dump so many plot twists on you in the final hours that I barely even remember what happened any more. I remember laughing when Shinada's final boss turns out to be Baba, though. Neither of them had even seen eachother before; it felt like the devs saying "Well, he's gotta fight someone, right?" :P

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on chapter 6 now I think. I've been going really slow with it, but I've been really enjoying it. All the mini-games are so much fun, I did the dancing for the first time and that was good, but I found it hard to begin with lol.

And yeah, I remember watching Angry Joe's review of it earlier this year. I'll probably watch it again after I finish it to see what I agree with and disagree with.
oh nice! you've seen his review already. i thought for his first time getting into the series, he was pretty on point with how i felt starting out. the first time i played a Yakuza game i had all these expectations and took awhile to get adjusted from it. once i realized it's really a rpg with linear progression and fighting mechanics (a bit like xenogears), i enjoyed it more. the dancing, i initially wanted to skip but kinda glad i was forced to do em as i got good at it.

damn, i need this to be announced to the west. sorta doing a personal mini blackout so i'm seldom coming over to this thread.

is that Yuria on the cover? she looks different...

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That box art is really nice. Can't believe we don't have long to look forward to FOTNS game release in Japan. Should mean I can tidily finish Kiwami 2 before starting it.

Anyway, Kiwami 2's demo has been played a bit but I've got more i want to try. Combat wise is much improved on the whole. Number of heat moves is way larger - basically all the stuff from 6 and a ton from previous games, plus weapon moves plus helper heat moves! So tons of stuff to play with :) looks like there are quite a few moves to unlock as well, but I've not really looked into that yet.
Only heat move issue I have at the moment is that I can't pull off the pillar heat move that well - its the one where you grab an enemy and through them crotch first into a pillar (ouch!). Anyone know the exact requirements for this heat move? The game says grab an enemy (by the chest) and press triangle near a pillar. But I get a normal "smash enemy in wall" heat move most of the time so I must be missing something. Haven't played around with ultimate heat mode that much either yet.
Easily my favourite heat move though is the new Iron heat move. Brutal and hilarious at the same time!

The rest of the game is very much how you'd expect a Yakuza game to be. The extra year has given us gambling and other missing mini games back. Locker keys give you different weapons and different gambling cheat items (which can also be found hidden in the game world). Cheat items work the same way as normal.

The game world is more fun to explore compared to the original game thanks to the more rich game world to explore. More side alleyways, staircases with 2nd/3rd floors, tons of new buildings to explore just like with Kamuracho in 6.

Oh, and the game looks amazing. Not really needed pointing out since the pre release shots looked amazing but I'm still in awe of how great the lighting especially is in the game.

Last edited:

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Kiryu's different movesets getting consolidated into one legend style for Y6 was understandable but a bummer still. Kiwami 2 seems to incorporate more stuff i miss like the beast style charge attack, didn't try much of the ultimate heat mode he goes into but now it's not the only thing i have to rely on. The developers talked big about charge moves in articles and i can see that in this demo. Sadly you can't seem to unlock moves in the demo, but if Majima also got the same kind of attention i can't think of a more perfect game to come out.

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
It sounds like what sucked about 6 is that they were starting fresh in many regards, so they didn't import or build upon assets from previous games (no weapons, minimal heat actions). 0 has a dizzying amount of heat actions and weapons, so I'm guessing there's a lot of animation reuse from 3-5 going on there.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like what sucked about 6 is that they were starting fresh in many regards, so they didn't import or build upon assets from previous games (no weapons, minimal heat actions). 0 has a dizzying amount of heat actions and weapons, so I'm guessing there's a lot of animation reuse from 3-5 going on there.
Exactly. The engine switch while introducing loads of great new improvements also pushed certain things backwards to Yakuza 3 levels kind of - makes you wonder where the series will be with this engine in a few years time. I'm just imagining a Yakuza 5 game in levels of content using the Dragon Engine...

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Played K2 demo. Sotenbori looks really good. Hopefully, daytime sotenbori looks good too. I think the comtat is pretty much the same as 6 but it feels good thanks to 30% speed boost.
What I don't like in 6 (or the new engine) most is thugs tend to stay close each other and make a group. When I punch one of them, they bump each other and share the damage because they are too close...and they didn't fix this... :(

Some speculations here, the acupuncture clinic located in Shinsei-cho (the second map in Osaka) in the original game where Kiryu will visit later in the main story is is found in Sotenbori in this demo. I guess Shinsei-cho is removed in Kiwami 2???

1988 vs 2006
SjNf1l8.jpg

3orNUFE.jpg

dJIaRE4.gif

v45ZVCF.gif

qWCzJdy.gif

That box art is really nice. Can't believe we don't have long to look forward to FOTNS game release in Japan. Should mean I can tidily finish Kiwami 2 before starting it.

Anyway, Kiwami 2's demo has been played a bit but I've got more i want to try. Combat wise is much improved on the whole. Number of heat moves is way larger - basically all the stuff from 6 and a ton from previous games, plus weapon moves plus helper heat moves! So tons of stuff to play with :) looks like there are quite a few moves to unlock as well, but I've not really looked into that yet.
Only heat move issue I have at the moment is that I can't pull off the pillar heat move that well - its the one where you grab an enemy and through them crotch first into a pillar (ouch!). Anyone know the exact requirements for this heat move? The game says grab an enemy (by the chest) and press triangle near a pillar. But I get a normal "smash enemy in wall" heat move most of the time so I must be missing something. Haven't played around with ultimate heat mode that much either yet.
Easily my favourite heat move though is the new Iron heat move. Brutal and hilarious at the same time!

The rest of the game is very much how you'd expect a Yakuza game to be. The extra year has given us gambling and other missing mini games back. Locker keys give you different weapons and different gambling cheat items (which can also be found hidden in the game world). Cheat items work the same way as normal.

The game world is more fun to explore compared to the original game thanks to the more rich game world to explore. More side alleyways, staircases with 2nd/3rd floors, tons of new buildings to explore just like with Kamuracho in 6.

Oh, and the game looks amazing. Not really needed pointing out since the pre release shots looked amazing but I'm still in awe of how great the lighting especially is in the game.

You have to find a pillar in the open space. It won't work with the ones next to the walls or other objects.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know about the pillar heat move, thanks for the tip :)

As for the acupuncture clinic - I thought that the one you visit in the demo is wear Makoto now works? There's quite a few bits in the story that requires that second map, I'd be gutted if that's gone :(

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yakuza 5 is a very long game, I ended up quitting and picking the game back up for about a year. But holy hell does everything about the final chapter work for me, predictible, sure a bit.... But the hype hits

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Good to know about the pillar heat move, thanks for the tip :)

As for the acupuncture clinic - I thought that the one you visit in the demo is wear Makoto now works? There's quite a few bits in the story that requires that second map, I'd be gutted if that's gone :(
I think she works at the same clinic called ほぐし会館. You can find the clinic signboard at the same location in 0.
story_majima02ss.jpg

Mn88AOX.jpg

The acupuncture clinic called よつば鍼灸院 is located about 10~20 meters north from the Park/Haruka's studio and Four Sunshine.
gr1dzgm.jpg

And you can actually enter the clinic.
3298BJx.jpg

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, maybe they are condensing certain bits then :( So does that mean we don't get to go up the tower now? I loved that bit...

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Played the Yakuza Kiwami 2 demo yesterday and oh my fucking god. I was already totally sold into the franchise from the Yakuza 6 and Zero demos, but the Kiwami 2 combat is lightning fast and I love it, oh so much.

So I've decided that next month is my deadline to buy Yakuza 0, my first Yakuza game. Wish me luck, YakuzaERA, though I don't think the outcome is going to be anything other than the deepest, most pure love.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Played the Yakuza Kiwami 2 demo yesterday and oh my fucking god. I was already totally sold into the franchise from the Yakuza 6 and Zero demos, but the Kiwami 2 combat is lightning fast and I love it, oh so much.

So I've decided that next month is my deadline to buy Yakuza 0, my first Yakuza game. Wish me luck, YakuzaERA, though I don't think the outcome is going to be anything other than the deepest, most pure love.
You're in for a good time.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing quite like Outlaw's Lullaby for violently picking up a man and throwing him dick-first into a light pole.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
There's nothing quite like Outlaw's Lullaby for violently picking up a man and throwing him dick-first into a light pole.

The Kiwami 2 version of this track is a remix, isn't it?

This track is so jazzy though. I don't know if I prefer this or the wub wub rock-ness of Yakuza 0. This one reminds me of classic SEGA Arcade games from the 80s and 90s for some reason, and I loooooove it.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, btw if you want to change the camera settings but you can't understand Japanese:

the setting are:
視点操作(縦)for vertical setting in third person
視点操作(横)for orizzontal setting in third person
主観モード視点操作(縦)for vertical setting in first person
and 主観モード視点操作(横)for orizzontal setting in first person

you can set them on 逆 inverted or 順 normal
I hate inverted cameras. Thank you that helped a lot!

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Damn the demo is so short. I loved how smooth the combat became but can't see something very special in Yakuza 6's engine

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question about 0.

I'm at the point where Kiryu is about to head to Sotenbori. Will he be coming back before the end of the game or should I round out everything in Kamurocho now?

0 has also been my first Yakuza after being interested in the series for years, and I love it. Obviously all the extra stuff is hilarious and well done, but the core story is genuinely really compelling.

ZZChao

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still split on the visual upgrade. 6 & Kiwami 2 definitely look more impressive overall. Especially lighting is really great.
However, in some ways I prefer the cleaner presentation of 0 and Kiwami. And the quality of facial animations during cutscenes seems worse to me.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Quick question about 0.

I'm at the point where Kiryu is about to head to Sotenbori. Will he be coming back before the end of the game or should I round out everything in Kamurocho now?

0 has also been my first Yakuza after being interested in the series for years, and I love it. Obviously all the extra stuff is hilarious and well done, but the core story is genuinely really compelling.
Much like the Terminator,
He'll be back.
Don't worry, the only point where you won't be able to do any sidequests and are locked into the main story is near the end, and the game quite clearly and expressly tells you that.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Quick question about 0.

You'll be happy to know that nothing is missable, everything is doable in Premium Adventure (unlocked after completing the game). You can freely travel during PA.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the case in Kiwami. Haven't played Yakuza 6.
Same for 6 as well. Nothing missable there, though you might want to keep a lot of Cat Food on you at all times as finding the cats in both cities can be super random and is a bit of a grind if you leave it to the end (take it from me!)

Anyway, played more of the Kiwami 2 demo today (several hours worth!). Its great. The combat is how it should have been in 6, the weapons are fun to use - make sure you use the Iron heat move at least once for a decent laugh. Graphically if you need to see how improved it is over 0 just go into first person mode and look at all the detail on the buildings on the main street in the north of the map (where Club Sega is). The detail on the shops (especially Club Sega, the Pachinko place and the shop with the massive octopus on it) is staggering. Blows 0 out of the water completely. That's not even taking into account the far improved texturing in general, the lighting and some of the other little details like the smoke and cloth fluttering in the wind. And just in general the ability to explore the game world with no load times is still just as good as it was in 6.

So far I can tell that I'll be spending an amazing amount of time playing this game when I get it in a couple of weeks. The improvements over 6 are immediately noticeable and I already enjoyed that game a whole lot. Now I get to replay one of my favourite titles with this brand new engine!

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested to see how they do the remixes on Kiwami 2. Kiwami was a mixed back in some areas - some of the remixes were a bit weaker compared to the original themes. Then again its grown on me massively over the last few months, been listening to it loads.

And speaking of Yakuza music, listening to random songs on Youtube and the theme used for the final boss fight of Ishin popped up:

So damn perfect for the fight. Easily my high points of a fantastic game.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Gameplay in 6/Kiwi 2 may not be as tight as in 0/Kiwami 1, but goddamn is it satisfying to perform heat actions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drQUK0EAhZA

AWWW YIS, can't wait to get my hands on the full game and compile a proper all heat actions montage.

bonus video, if you're a majima fan don't click on it :D

Your video reminds me of the exsistance of the ultimate heat mode. I didn't use it at all in the demo.

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
What's the recommended order to get into Yakuza, guys? I have a few of the old games but I've never played any. And I see Yakuza 0 and Kiwami are on sale on PSN.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
What's the recommended order to get into Yakuza, guys? I have a few of the old games but I've never played any. And I see Yakuza 0 and Kiwami are on sale on PSN.
Start with 0, then play Kiwami. From there, you have to wait for Kiwami 2 to get localized (or import it), skip to Yakuza 3, or just play the original Yakuza 2 on PS2.

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Start with 0, then play Kiwami. From there, you have to wait for Kiwami 2 to get localized (or import it), skip to Yakuza 3, or just play the original Yakuza 2 on PS2.

That sounds good, thanks a lot! I suppose it wasn't that hard to figure out but I wanted to ask the experts. Too bad the spin offs in other time periods haven't been localized.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
wtf that heat action on the bridge gif

I've been on that damn boat in that area and nobody got dropped ass first