gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Well, it seems Tsubaki apologized for mistaking the words in the description of Sega's TGS content. She mistook" 龍が如くシリーズ最新情報 (the latest news for RGG)" as "龍が如く最新作発表 (new RGG title announcment)".

今年のTGS終了

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah well, easy come easy go. I have more than enough replays of the series to go for them to take their time on the next announcement (especially if it can end up being Yakuza 8).

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the 2007 Miike movie and... uhhhhh. The atmosphere (and overall feel of the series) was on point I'll give them that at least.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Currently playing through Kiwami 2 and can someone tell me when new Makeover stuff (dresses, hair etc.) will be available in the Cabaret minigame?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Just skimmed through the stream. As expected, there were no announcements. The comedy duo did their thing, they played some Yakuza 7 and the game received an award. The official Twitter account is talking about the movie announcement, but I don't know if they actually mentioned that on the stream too (they probably did, but I didn't want to watch the whole thing).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its a pity (but expected) that nothing of significance was shown off today for RGG, but on the bright side at least no damn remakes were announced (I was worried last month for a brief moment when that Kiwami 3 thing cropped up, but was thankfully killed quick). Hopefully we get some good news in 2021 about a brand new RGG game/spinoff as I'm super excited to see what they start doing on the PS5 even if its just a better performing game engine. And looking even further ahead, I'm already hyped for 2022 since that should realistically be when RGG8 gets announced/released, as that's honestly my most wanted sequel right now! Even if its years off!

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, after months of just pushing through Yakuza 5, I can finally say I finished it.

I really didn't like it. My impression from months ago that I posted here we're getting even worse each chapter. I hated the story in this one, only liked the ending.
The gameplay is good, but it definitely is not enough this time around. Calling it bloated would be falling so short lol

But hey, I mean, one game I don't like in the 7 I've played is pretty good ratio haha

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Just skimmed through the stream. As expected, there were no announcements. The comedy duo did their thing, they played some Yakuza 7 and the game received an award. The official Twitter account is talking about the movie announcement, but I don't know if they actually mentioned that on the stream too (they probably did, but I didn't want to watch the whole thing).
That movie was mentioned. That was the RGG related latest information. It didn't talked much but Nagoshi implied he is involved with the project to a certain degree

Meanwhile Yokoyama tweets "Various projects are going on for 15th anniversary, also making a game."

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I just started Yakuza 3 for the first time and I have to know, do any of these children return in later entries? I'm actually really enjoying the literal Dad simulator aspect of this game lol.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The kids get minor rolls in later games, 3 is where you see them most. I love 'em myself, especially Taichi who just cracks me up.

That movie was mentioned. That was the RGG related latest information. It didn't talked much but Nagoshi implied he is involved with the project to a certain degree

Meanwhile Yokoyama tweets "Various projects are going on for 15th anniversary, also making a game."

Potential 15th anniversary game eh? Wonder if maybe we'll get some sort of anniversary stream in early December (on the anniversary date of RGG1) to tease the new game? Otherwise I can't imagine it being announced this year.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Event to show off a new game? ;) I'm just darn curious as to what the next game will be, so many directions they could go in.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you, interesting! Curious what they're going to show us. Either way: It's a good time to be a RGG fan. I'm sure they're preparing some huge things! :)

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Yakuza 8 is already a known given, so I sure hope the 15th anniversary game is something else that the fans want, whether that's 0-2, or something else.

Majima and Saejima dual-protagonist game with playable pre-1985 flashbacks would be killer.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
usually we'd have a new game announced now but it seems likely that covid affected them as well. I'd expect the announcement to come maybe in November instead with a march release assuming it's only pushing back a couple months.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Even if 8 is the most brain dead/obvious choice... I still want it ahead of anything else. Ichiban > all at this point. I want to see more of him, less of the legacy cast. Either as a sequel to 7, or a strange Dead Souls/Samurai spinoff starring Ichiban.

The takeaway from that "PS5" clip is the frame rate - way smoother than the PS4 version. 60FPS yum! Launch date shenanigans aside I'm down to replay it in March, will be pretty much just under a year since my last replay, so perfect time to play the enhanced version. Unless I buckle and get the Series X version first. Might do that anyway, just to have a physical "next gen" version.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's a nice way to shit on the community that allowed the series to gain traction in the west.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Some small snippets of PS5 gameplay have been cropping up for 7 it seems:

Looks pretty identical to the PS4 version, albeit a bit sharper. Obviously the notable improvement far and away is the frame rate, its way, way smoother. Bodes well for other cross gen Yakuza games in the coming year(s) as those should be 60FPS as well. The new engine is pretty enough as is, I really wouldn't care if they just refine the same engine all next gen so that we get to keep the 60FPS frame rate.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
It's wild that they really time exclusived a next-gen version... Pretty sure they delayed the game to line-up with the launch of the new console as well.

Wonder what announcement will be made on the anniversary show.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
That's a nice way to shit on the community that allowed the series to gain traction in the west.

Yeah, the hardcore PlayStation fanbase kept this game alive in the west by a thread. Sega certainly deserves all credit for how amazing Yakuza 0 was and its eventual critical and commercial success, but at the beginning it was still a word-of-mouth affair amplified by the tireless efforts of many of the OG fans here. And now for some pittance of exclusivity money -- assumedly, since they're already showing off the PS5 version it's not a technical issue -- Sega decides to squander that goodwill by demoting the PlayStation as a platform to second tier status.

I don't mean to be too hyperbolic about it, but it's certainly symbolic that another platform will be the first to get a next-gen version of a Yakuza game. And to be clear, I'm not saying this as a platform warz kind of thing, but that most people who own a PS console now will probably get a PS5 and not an Xbox realistically.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
It's a bummer for sure, but on the other hand the fact that the series is notable enough to be courted as a timed Xbox exclusive kinda makes me smile... though maybe I'm just able to take the news in stride because I'm also ditching PlayStation (for PC).

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bummer for sure, but on the other hand the fact that the series is notable enough to be courted as a timed Xbox exclusive kinda makes me smile... though maybe I'm just able to take the news in stride because I'm also ditching PlayStation (for PC).
I'd like to see the numbers for 0 and Kiwami. I honestly don't think it's as big on Xbox as this deal tries to make it look, despite GP.
I'm not even that mad about having to wait some months more for Yakuza 7 tbh, but the fact that MS goes around and tells everyone how pro consumer they are and that they hate exclusives is really getting annoying when 90% of their conferences are full of "first on Xbox" games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild that they really time exclusived a next-gen version... Pretty sure they delayed the game to line-up with the launch of the new console as well.

Wonder what announcement will be made on the anniversary show.
Its pretty likely it was delayed yeah. Because the game itself has been done since January and while it has more text to translate than Judge Eyes did (as well as external factors), it just seems to suspect that the game took this long to release. I'd have rather preferred an July/August release for the PS4 version just to keep it out of the way of the next gen launch but watcha gonna do. I'm excited to replay it early next year in 60FPS, and until then I guess that leaves me very much open to do my RGG2/Of the End runs I had planned!

MarcoGorgar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro
Hi boys and girls, please is there a list of games on japanese psn that have English subtitles? I remembered that I have 6000 there, and as yakuza 7 and Judge Eyes are on sale, I could buy one of them. Mafia remake would be an option too. Thank you.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
small big street fight spotted in Kamuracho ~(三C・>

EiwVDxdUwAEadnm.jpg

Thanx. OH boy, i will search about Mafia Remake .. maybe i have some lucky.
It has.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Yakuza 4, was such a leap in quality after 3. I really did not like 3. Currently making my way from Y0 -> Y7. Probably helps to start Dead Souls in October where it's more fitting!

Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza 3 (PS4)
Yakuza 4 (PS4)

Dead Souls
Yakuza 5
Yakuza 6
Judgment
Yakuza 7

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
small big street fight spotted in Kamuracho ~(三C・>

EiwVDxdUwAEadnm.jpg

It has.

Someone should mod a little Playstation triangle button prompt over their heads, ready for that epic heat action! When looking at those smaller shots on twitter's preview view, I actually wondered if they were in game shots for a brief second (until the sign gave it away). Dragon Engine getting to me... I can only imagine how they'll upgrade it next gen (though I personally hope it isn't upgraded to the point we go back to 30FPS again, 60 just looks so much nicer from the small preview vids...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to start Dead Souls this month, so before that I got back to the RGG1 HD mission mode I've not quite sorta finished yet. Doing some of the missions as weaker Kiryu's shows off how silly it is to not upgrade him along the way. Aside from not being anywhere near as fun, some of these fights are made way more difficult as a result.
Some of the gimmick missions are sorta entertaining but evil at the same time. Shindo's took me several tries to nail - a fairly underleveled Kiryu has to beat Shindo and his goons without losing your heat status (so no heat moves, giant swing etc. for me!) Doesn't help that Shindo actually decides to evade in that fight as well! Meaning you gotta both pick your opening well, and not waste any time picking said openings else your heat will deplete and its mission over!

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
I have been replaying through the series over the past 1.5 months in anticipation for Y:LAD. I finished 0-2, boy is 0 such an amazing game and probably one of those game of the decade types. At some point I will be going through it again in the next year and actually spending more time this go around with the side missions. I am playing Y3 now, and I had totally forgotten how much this game dragged. The worst part is the damn map, just plain sucks and brought back memories for me having played this back on the PS3. Hoping I can rush through this game, more excited to play Y4 again. I know some hate that game, but I enjoyed it immensely.

Yakuza 3 really needs a Kiwami remake at some point. The game can be much better with a remake to fix some of the originals issues in an updated engine.

I know some people are upset that Y:LAD is coming first to the Series X for next gen, but this is how these things go. Then hearing about the MSFT consumer friendly crap. Those guys bitching, we will all be sad when we find out that none of these games are BC on the PS5 and we will need to hold on to our PS4's unless they also get a release on PC and Xbox for (Y3-6). That is my biggest concern is that the rest of the series gets stuck on PS4 if we don't get these on other platforms.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
I have been replaying through the series over the past 1.5 months in anticipation for Y:LAD. I finished 0-2, boy is 0 such an amazing game and probably one of those game of the decade types. At some point I will be going through it again in the next year and actually spending more time this go around with the side missions. I am playing Y3 now, and I had totally forgotten how much this game dragged. The worst part is the damn map, just plain sucks and brought back memories for me having played this back on the PS3. Hoping I can rush through this game, more excited to play Y4 again. I know some hate that game, but I enjoyed it immensely.

Yakuza 3 really needs a Kiwami remake at some point. The game can be much better with a remake to fix some of the originals issues in an updated engine.

I know some people are upset that Y:LAD is coming first to the Series X for next gen, but this is how these things go. Then hearing about the MSFT consumer friendly crap. Those guys bitching, we will all be sad when we find out that none of these games are BC on the PS5 and we will need to hold on to our PS4's unless they also get a release on PC and Xbox for (Y3-6). That is my biggest concern is that the rest of the series gets stuck on PS4 if we don't get these on other platforms.

Ive only played zero through 3 and judgement so far, but dang, 3 was the first one I felt like I had to force myself through... Im excited to try 4!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
No, it really doesn't. As someone who isn't a fan of how Kiryu was "updated" in Kiwami 2 (more like downgraded...) 3 isn't going to get better in a remake unless you want pretty graphics. They'd need to scrap his combat from Kiwami 2 and remake it back to how it was in original 2 and 3 - make sure he has his proper move set back and have them work correctly. They fixed the limp tiger drop in Judge Eyes at least.
But I still don't see the point. Plus 3's difficulty (on hard mode) would be nerfed through the floor just like Kiwami 2, guess that's good news for people that like spamming one combo over and over, but as someone who actually likes the more defensively minded enemies in the original version of 3, the thought of playing a Kiwami 2 styled version where difficulty is completely absent, doesn't excite me one bit.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
So after months of not touching it I finished Yakuza 4 tonight. Boy that ending fucking sucked haha.

I dunno, it wasn't an awful game but I really didn't like having four playable characters. The 1985 massacre stuff was interesting but the way everything wrapped up was total nonsense and not in the usual fun Yakuza nonsense kinda way.

I like Akiyama, but saejima and tanimura are meh as fuck.

3 was a little rough for me coming off of the more modern games but I enjoyed it overall. Four is messy af and four characters is too many.

Anyway that's my thoughts for now, onto 5!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Only issues I have with 4, like above, the end plot is silly. Not the plot as a whole (I liked it) but just the end chapter which just gets really dumb really quick. I wonder if it were rushed? Because boy other parts sure feel it...
Like, we get four characters but not enough content for each of them. Akiyama gets four full chapters, Saeijma gets two full chapters, a long fight, and a boss fight, Tanimura gets an awesome first chapter, an ok second chapter (would have been better if the briefcase wasn't glued to you), a cutscene for a chapter, and a cool end boss fight that could have used a proper long fight as build up... Kiryu gets a long fight, a cool boss fight, a cutscene, and a absolutely amazing long fight with no damn boss fight...

You really feel that the team were stretched thin on this one - the plot falls off a cliff after a certain point, the main story content is so short compared to any other game in the series. Thankfully the side content is still spot on, and fleshes out the characters really well (especially Akiyama and Tanimura). I guess Dead Souls acting as a stop gap between 4 and 5 was a great help to shore up the story content issues with 5 because that game is damn huge just in terms of story (the final chapter alone is like 4 times the length of 4's)

Still, 4 (or 5) playable characters are to many. 0 got it perfect with just the two characters (helped that they were already well established as well so they didn't require a Yagami or Ichiban level of introduction).

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
No, it really doesn't. As someone who isn't a fan of how Kiryu was "updated" in Kiwami 2 (more like downgraded...) 3 isn't going to get better in a remake unless you want pretty graphics. They'd need to scrap his combat from Kiwami 2 and remake it back to how it was in original 2 and 3 - make sure he has his proper move set back and have them work correctly. They fixed the limp tiger drop in Judge Eyes at least.

But I still don't see the point. Plus 3's difficulty (on hard mode) would be nerfed through the floor just like Kiwami 2, guess that's good news for people that like spamming one combo over and over, but as someone who actually likes the more defensively minded enemies in the original version of 3, the thought of playing a Kiwami 2 styled version where difficulty is completely absent, doesn't excite me one bit.

Ive only played zero through 3 and judgement so far, but dang, 3 was the first one I felt like I had to force myself through... Im excited to try 4!

It's crazy, I've always had a love/hate relationship with Y3. The graphics don't bother me so much in the PS4 version, which some they might. What drives me nuts is the map and the senseless exploration when trying to figure out what to do at times when you are on a mission. Y0-2 fixed a lot of that and even the later entries in the franchise.

I've always enjoyed the Uncle Kaz orphanage story, it just adds another dimension to the Kiryu character and its something a bit different than the usual we are used to in this series.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The orphanage stuff is one of my three favourite parts of 3. The other two being the soundtrack (which is best in the series for me), and certain boss fights/long fights late in the game when you have all of your moves (the last few fights, especially Joji and Mine are just amazing to play, at least for me).

Can't say I ever had the issue with never knowing where to go though, then again I always tend to walk all over the city, doing side stories, mini games and getting into random fights so I stumble onto the objective accidentally - sooner or later!

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat 3, started up 4...

3 was a nice change of pace from 0-2. I found the ending of chapter 11 surprisingly moving. I also found combat annoying because everyone can block in the middle of being on the receiving end of a combo, but Kiryu can't... but I also didn't go around collection revelations etc until the endgame and several of those moves made a big difference.

4 has some weird tonal issues/missteps at the start where it's really hard for me to commit to liking these characters (
first guy is a misogynist capitalist but I can't tell if the game knows he kinda really sucks and the second guy... well, how old is Haruka now? To me, she's a child!
) but I'm gonna stick with it to see where it ends up, the story is kicking into gear despite me finding some of the individual moments off putting.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat 3, started up 4...

3 was a nice change of pace from 0-2. I found the ending of chapter 11 surprisingly moving. I also found combat annoying because everyone can block in the middle of being on the receiving end of a combo, but Kiryu can't... but I also didn't go around collection revelations etc until the endgame and several of those moves made a big difference.

4 has some weird tonal issues/missteps at the start where it's really hard for me to commit to liking these characters (
first guy is a misogynist capitalist but I can't tell if the game knows he kinda really sucks and the second guy... well, how old is Haruka now? To me, she's a child!
) but I'm gonna stick with it to see where it ends up, the story is kicking into gear despite me finding some of the individual moments off putting.
Yeah pretty much everyone who's been playing the remasters for the first time has mentioned that Saejima/Haruka moment. I played Y3 for the first time earlier this year and thought that was a really gross scene that absolutely did not need to be included.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's my new pick for "worst Yakuza game to start with"

you could start with 0-3 and understand the appeal of the series but I didn't even mention how this one forces you into the hostess mini game basically right away as well...

the rooftop and underground additions are cool tho!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
4 was for the long time the BEST starting point for people who didn't want to track down 1-3 (due to rarity, buying older consoles etc.) so not sure how its the worst one to start with now... its actually pretty much a new beginning plot wise, aside from a couple of Kiryu parts of the plot so that's handy, and also with it being a technical improvement over 3 it makes it a more favourable point for people to jump into the series that might not like 3's slow start, or its no nonsense approach to fights (aka people can happily button bash without having to learn how to open enemies up...)

Also, Kiryu isn't completely helpless mid combo most of the time. It is possible to guard against some of the later hits of a combo even if you get hit by the first few, though it depends on how fast the attacks are (enemy goon slower attacks have ample time to guard against the last couple of hits, or just dodge out of the way (and really its been like that since the first PS2 game). Or you just make sure you get the upgrades that either let you a) land on your feet with X after being knocked down, or hit triangle as your falling to the ground to spring up and do a sweet reversal that stuns an enemy if it connects. Or just... dodge, blocking should really be a last resort since it leaves you stuck in one place and isn't really all that useful, especially in 3 where enemies need to be attacked from behind for that full combo damage - dodge their attacks and then launch a combo of your own (or counter hit etc.)

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Because if it was my first Yakuza game, I'd have stopped playing by now because the first lead is a gross creep and then so is the second. The tone is way off from what I like about these games, or rather it's front loaded with stuff that's always been easier to ignore in the other games.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
After months of ignoring Yakuza 5, cause I hate Haruka, I finally started playing it again over the weekend. Took from March to last night to finally finish chapter 2.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well they certainly did dub Karaoke... that's all I'll comment on that. Can't wait to replay the game though, but thankfully with the PS5 version being March it gives me an excuse to squeeze in Dead Souls this month rather than jump onto 7 next month.