apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
just sometimes a pain for RNG to fill the machines with the desirable toys whether switching locations or asking the clerk to switch prizes.

Took forever for a Jumbo Chestnut to appear for me. Then when I got it I realized it may have appeared before but since it looked so close to the normal one I may have reset over it. Figure that would have been something I would have remembered from previous playthroughs.

And yeah on the Komaki stuff. Not that it matters since it's just a few chapters but I still like getting the moves as soon as I can.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So the awesome gaming website Hardcoregaming101 is covering the Yakuza games one by one in a series currently, and they've just reached the third game in the series - Kenzan:

Its a good read if anyone wants an actual good summary of the game including some accurate plot details, a great shoutout to ThePatrick's original FAQ which many (including me) used to play it initially, and just an all round good article that I feels lines up with several of my held thoughts on the game - mentioning Haruka's role correctly in the story (she's an attendant/assistant, not a prostitute...), it does mention that the game is too problematic and a PR nightmare to remake though due to the way Haruka becomes said attendant (basically sells herself to a brothel), and also makes note of stuff like the completion list, combat details and so on. Im curious what their stance on 3 will be lol.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I've been at home sick with a nasty cold, and really felt like playing some Yakuza, so I decided to re-play a Yakuza game for the first time. I wanted to play a fairly recent game (e.g., the dragon engine) that had that classic night life scenery, so I ended up choosing to play Kiwami 2 again.

I was planning to just put a few hours into it, but I've already invested another ten hours and it's just so good. This game has even better pacing than I remember, things get rolling fast and you quickly unlock all of the main attractions.

I've always really liked the game's story. The Tojo Clan and the Omi Alliance are these two big rivals, but this feels like the only game where the two are actually at war. Ryuji is a great villain, and overall I think all of the villains in the game are pretty good. I've critiqued the game's ending before for its ridiculous plot twists and over-the-top soap opera ending, but re-playing it now I see that at least some of the events that I previously felt came out of nowhere were actually foreshadowed. For instance, Majima strongly hints that he doesn't believe that the Omi alliance would actually kill Terada. There are also other hints that flew over my head last time.

I know people critique K2's combat, and I get it, but to me it's just so fluid and a bit of chaotic fun. The weapons mechanic is also pretty neat; how you can pocket weapons from the battle and bring them out whenever. One annoying design decision is how expensive it is to buy the super situational heat actions which you unlock after befriending a person (like, if you're fighting close to the guitarist in Osaka, you can trigger his heat action). In Judgment they made these heat actions freely available IIRC, which was a good idea. They're just not worth the large amount of exp they cost to buy in K2.

One thing I had forgotten is how short most of the substories are in this game. I had one substory which was literally just *substory starts* "hey man do you have an energy drink?" *hands over energy drink* "thanks" *substory ends*. It kind of tracks for the game's high pace, though, haha. Some of the slightly longer substories, like the fake Kiryu double, are pretty great. I had also forgotten how important eating is in this game. The experience points you get from eating is ridiculous; you're basically constantly eating every few street fights.

Can't believe I'm actually going to go through the cabaret club for now a third time (0, K2, K2 again).

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, honestly going back to K2 last year made me really appreciate the substory lenght. Some of the later games really stretch them out. Y6 in particular was painful for me at times (probably because of the voice acting, lol)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Trust me, do 6's side stories but read the text, not listen to the voices. It makes things go by way faster, its way better. I get them trying to make it bigger budget by voicing everything, but that doesnt work when the game is as wordy as Yakuza, it basically destroys pacing. But I do adore 6's side stories though, Ill always stick up for them, they are some of my faovurites in the series, and 8 does an amazing job with basing a few off a couple of these as well!

As for the weapon pocketing in Kiwami 2 and original 2... its honestly baffling that the only game that brings this back (that I remember) is Yakuza 5... Its a legit great idea being able to save some of these weapons for later, especially as (at least in Kiwami 2) I seem to recall you can get some pretty funky ones out of certain encounters. There's really no excuse for 3, 4, 6 and Gaiden to cut that option.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mesuking, Cabaret, and Pocket Circuit are behind me, bar any main/substory inclusions. I was a bit surprised that Pocket Circuit didn't require much in the way of utilizing turbo. Just make a build and almost autowin until the final tournament with its bizarre RNG track ejection.

Onward through the rest of Ch.6.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I was a bit surprised that Pocket Circuit didn't require much in the way of utilizing turbo. Just make a build and almost autowin until the final tournament with its bizarre RNG track ejection.

Yeah if you don't want to mess around with the tinkering there are pretty set guides to what to use. Also I've found that the random track ejections can have to do with what lane your car is in since turns will be sharper on the inside track. Just a random observation.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Track ejections... bah! Gaiden has one particular course that has this stupidly sharp corner as the first corner, that's one of the couple of races I needed a guide for, since it was a living nightmare to either a) stay on track and go fast or b) go fast enough to win race

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, we getting an English RGG TV? That's a nice change. Horii being featured is great news, if there's any interesting info, please relay. I'll hold off watching for now in case there's any late game RGG8 spoilers, I probably wont get to the finale until next week.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Yakuza 6 over the weekend and, with that, my 2 year journey to play through the yakuza games that started when I played LAD.

Currently breezing through yakuza 7 a second time to remember the plot fully then I might start man who erased his name.

LAD spoiler chapter 12:
I remember getting excited when kiryu showed up but I hadn't played the other games beforehand. I just got to that part again and seeing him show up and Majima going "I knew you weren't dead!" Was awesome.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, Bad Ass Dads is Top 3 substories across 0, 7, and Kiwami. Going to have to watch someone choose the 'Gloat' option, which admittedly was probably a bit more fitting in the space they were all in at the time.

Wait, we getting an English RGG TV? That's a nice change. Horii being featured is great news, if there's any interesting info, please relay. I'll hold off watching for now in case there's any late game RGG8 spoilers, I probably wont get to the finale until next week.
I'll hold off as well until someone reports in on what they go over. It's been hell keeping my partner from spoiling late Infinite Wealth, let alone K2-6.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, honestly going back to K2 last year made me really appreciate the substory lenght. Some of the later games really stretch them out. Y6 in particular was painful for me at times (probably because of the voice acting, lol)

Trust me, do 6's side stories but read the text, not listen to the voices. It makes things go by way faster, its way better. I get them trying to make it bigger budget by voicing everything, but that doesnt work when the game is as wordy as Yakuza, it basically destroys pacing. But I do adore 6's side stories though, Ill always stick up for them, they are some of my faovurites in the series, and 8 does an amazing job with basing a few off a couple of these as well!

As for the weapon pocketing in Kiwami 2 and original 2... its honestly baffling that the only game that brings this back (that I remember) is Yakuza 5... Its a legit great idea being able to save some of these weapons for later, especially as (at least in Kiwami 2) I seem to recall you can get some pretty funky ones out of certain encounters. There's really no excuse for 3, 4, 6 and Gaiden to cut that option.

I mean, I really like the substories in 6, haha, and I quite appreciate that they are fully voiced. It makes the people feel more "real". But just like shadowman, I too will often read the text and skip ahead. Not just in substories, but sometimes during main story scenes too, especially in 8. It's kind of a case-by-case for me on whether I prefer to listen to the whole thing or skip ahead; depends on the context.

And yeah, the neat thing about weapon pocketing too is that you always have heat actions available in your pocket, as it were. Also neat that you never, ever run out of weapons. I don't think I've ever used weapons as much as I do in K2.

Btw, I completely forgot that the bar talk from 6 is also in K2. Just had my first after beating the first league in the cabaret club.

Oh yeah, speaking of skipping text and the cabaret club, you can't skip any dialogue in the conversations you have with the platinum hostesses, and they are so unbelievably slow. I remember skipping most of these conversations last time and I'll definitely do it again. I really appreciate how RGG lets us skip most text in the more recent games

Feb 16, 2022
Probably already discussed before, but how do people think they would/should move forward with the party system in LaD9?

Splitting the party up in IW made narrative(both in terms of story and making sure the party/table talk combinations don't get too crazy) and balancing sense, but I was kinda bummed not having the full party available until for the post-game. Party-based JRPGs having sequels that bring back all party members is basically unheard of. Tomizawa and Chitose are the most likely to not come back, but losing the rest of them would kinda suck.

Out of the remaining six, Adachi/Nanba/Saeko probably are the likeliest to return, with them being Ichiban's main circle of friends, and Zhao/Joongi/Seonhee feel less likely though still possible.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not being a big RPG fan outside of Yakuza, I also wonder how parties for 9 would work. Most RPGs tend to give you new parties per new game since its rare (at least from what Ive seen) to get an RPG sequel which is a direct continuation thus few if any returning characters. Even stuff like Mass Effect replaced team members per game (though some thankfully returned). Like, Persona games tend to have all new parties per game.

So Yakuza 8 having a very similar party to 7 was, in my mind, a breath of fresh air. Not just ditching the characters but getting to see what they've been doing, seeing how certain ones interact with Kiryu, and just keeping them around for some amazing chat moments.

I reckon, and this is assuming 9 carries on from 8 with Ichiban. Characters returning would definitely be Adachi and Namba. I assume Saeko as well but who knows what with the "will they wont they" currently. I assume that'll just fall to "definitely wont" and everyone will just continue as if that never happened in 8.

Im leaning toward Tomizawa just not popping up again. I like his character, but he very much feels like a character whose only in one game at the moment. But considering I thought the same about Namba not returning, I can see them bringing him back.

Chitose... I really want her back. I love her default fighting style, and love her personality.

Han? He's popular. I reckon he might return. Ditto Seung Hee. Plus I really dont want RGGS to axe 2/3 of the ladies from 8, that'd be lame. We gotta get to keep one of them. Both are just too good in many respects.

Zhao? I mean, him being a chef now... he's a guy that could again absolutely come back. Again, I love his personality so its hard to let him go lol. I feel unless they shift location again, we'll see the others return, at least I hope so... Just gimme gender neutral jobs next time please RGGS... or at least double the amount the ladies get. And make the jobs less stereotypical.

Btw, I completely forgot that the bar talk from 6 is also in K2. Just had my first after beating the first league in the cabaret club.
There's a couple that pop up from Majima construction as well. One of which I really gotta see how they translated it because its one of those "Japanese rhymes/jokes which is strikes me as something that's a nightmare to translate. Im sure the localisation team did a bang up job though, as per usual.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Probably already discussed before, but how do people think they would/should move forward with the party system in LaD9?

Splitting the party up in IW made narrative(both in terms of story and making sure the party/table talk combinations don't get too crazy) and balancing sense, but I was kinda bummed not having the full party available until for the post-game. Party-based JRPGs having sequels that bring back all party members is basically unheard of. Tomizawa and Chitose are the most likely to not come back, but losing the rest of them would kinda suck.

Out of the remaining six, Adachi/Nanba/Saeko probably are the likeliest to return, with them being Ichiban's main circle of friends, and Zhao/Joongi/Seonhee feel less likely though still possible.

I can't imagine that they'll bring back the entire party again as they welcome more newcomers, however I agree that Adachi, Nanba, and Saeko will likely return. I hope they will update their default movesets or give the returning characters a secondary unique job.

There's a couple that pop up from Majima construction as well. One of which I really gotta see how they translated it because its one of those "Japanese rhymes/jokes which is strikes me as something that's a nightmare to translate. Im sure the localisation team did a bang up job though, as per usual.

Oh, I didn't know that. I honestly didn't find the Majima construction activity enjoyable last time, so I skipped most of it, but this time I'm determined to really give it more of a chance and hopefully go through the whole thing. I did 100% Kiryu's Clan in 6, as I found it more fun to play that activity on the offensive than I did on the defensive.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I actually forget if I ever completed the last Majima COnstruction mission... its 100% optional but I dont like leaving content untouched, but it was super annoying to do, and its such a slog to play through. 6, as you said, at least you were on the offensive, and honestly felt a bit more tactical with my character hierarchy and choices.

Whipwhopper

Oct 7, 2020
Finished OG Yakuza 1 this weekend, really fun and the ending appropriately amped up in craziness. Still confused on Amazing Grace just popping up out of nowhere in the credits.

Starting on OG Yakuza 2 rn, just got to the beginning of Chapter 3. So much better feeling in combat and you can definitely tell they were laying the groundwork for the whole series with this game

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The jump from 1 to 2 combat wise is terrific. Its amazing what an (almost) year can do to really improve the game overall. As with 7 to 8 (or early DE games to LJ), give RGGS time to refine an idea, and it becomes gold. Its why I wish other devs (even those in Sega - looking at you Sonic) throw away concepts so readily for newer games. No refinement, and what you get can end up being worse than what came before lol.

Hope you enjoy 2, its a terrific game, I loved the improvements over 1 and have been wanting to replay it (and Kiwami 2 modded) for years now. But Im still on 8! One of these years...

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at the Sega shop and saw that the new Digsta figure of Goro is there... for 140 euros. For a 17cm statue.
www.segashop.co.uk

Yakuza Digsta PVC Statue Goro Majima Battle Style 17 cm

LIMITED PRE-ORDER, WINDOW CLOSES 20TH MAY 2024 PRE-ORDER ITEM - EXPECTED DELIVERY DECEMBER 2024 Introducing the Yakuza Digsta PVC Statue: Goro Majima Battle Style, standing 17 cm tall! Step into the gritty underworld of the "Like A Dragon" game series with the legendary "Mad Dog of Shimano"...

The same figure (from what I can see) is 53 euros on Amiami.

Anyone here bought stuff from Ami before? Any issues with shipping, etc?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's an insane price hike... Ami Ami are "one of the good ones" in terms of importing. Ive not brought there for ages though. Only thing you'd probably need to look out for are additional postage charges (customs charges here in the UK), but its like a third of the price...

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know a good way to level up jobs fast? Currently in hawaiian haunt. I'm on chapter 9 and I'd like to get more of my jobs in the mid 20 range for all members.

I have the items equipped that level up XP fast too.

Is there another vagabond run like 7?

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Restarted the series playing yakuza 0 on the ally.

I've dreamed of being able to play these games on the go!
Ive heard the Ally handles the series really well! Its great that the main series is now pretty much all available on the PC, you've got countless hours of enjoyment in your hands now!

Anybody know a good way to level up jobs fast? Currently in hawaiian haunt. I'm on chapter 9 and I'd like to get more of my jobs in the mid 20 range for all members.

I have the items equipped that level up XP fast too.

Is there another vagabond run like 7?
So I asked a similar question (though more about grinding to higher levels) and basically I was told the DLC dungeon is the best way (though that wont be available at that point in the game). I leveled up just by doing the stronger "boss" like encounters on the map and going to the more dangerous sections of the city (In Hawaii's case, its around China Town). As far as Im aware there's no super XP enemy in this game but again Ive not finished it so am not sure.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just ended up doing the haunt for a couple hours.

I'll have to try Chinatown to see if there's a big difference.

Just did a side quest with an otaku
And this dude is prejudiced as hell lol.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I got a bit further into Majima Construction and I'm actually really enjoying it this time. It just desperately needs a "speed up"-option for the segments where nothing interesting is happening. A lot of it is very hands-off. Also that bar talk shadowman mentioned was really really good! Overall, I think the villains in Majima Construction are pretty great.

Also, I played the games in the order of story, so I totally didn't catch this the first time, but the Kiryu Clan villains from 6 are in both the arena and unlockable in Majima Construction.

Btw, I always thought it was a very strange missed opportunity that we've still never been inside of the finished Kamurocho Hills. It would have fit in so well in Judgment to have a decent chunk of the main story actually take place in there. IIRC Kamuro Hills contains a shopping mall, and both apartments and offices. Would be a really nice addition to the regular Kamurocho map, and it would also make sense to actually visit it after the Purgatory and then the construction site of the Hills being built

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, I always thought it was a very strange missed opportunity that we've still never been inside of the finished Kamurocho Hills. It would have fit in so well in Judgment to have a decent chunk of the main story actually take place in there. IIRC Kamuro Hills contains a shopping mall, and both apartments and offices. Would be a really nice addition to the regular Kamurocho map, and it would also make sense to actually visit it after the Purgatory and then the construction site of the Hills being built
Ive been asking for this since 2012 lol (aka when 5 released in Japan). Best we get is exploring it in Dead Souls, as unlike 2, 4 and 5 where its only a set piece, there its at least a map where you can have a look round, albeit in a destroyed state :(

Considering we lost the Underground Mall from 4, Id LOVE to have a big shopping center to explore. 8 at least gives us the Mall to explore, and I loved that, I wish we'd get something similar for Kamurocho Hills, but after 12 odd years, Im not feeling too confident we'll get it!

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Ive been asking for this since 2012 lol (aka when 5 released in Japan). Best we get is exploring it in Dead Souls, as unlike 2, 4 and 5 where its only a set piece, there its at least a map where you can have a look round, albeit in a destroyed state :(

Considering we lost the Underground Mall from 4, Id LOVE to have a big shopping center to explore. 8 at least gives us the Mall to explore, and I loved that, I wish we'd get something similar for Kamurocho Hills, but after 12 odd years, Im not feeling too confident we'll get it!

Yeah, especially as I don't imagine that Kamurocho will be the main location of a main RGG game again any time soon. Only way I see it being added is if we get a Gaiden-like game that centers around Kamurocho where they add Kamuro Hills to the map. I don't see Kamurocho being a big enough part of Y9 or J3 to warrant RGG adding a new part of the city.

It would have been really nice, though, to have one final big game that centers around Kamurocho, with a modern map featuring Chinatown, Kamurocho Hills, the rooftops, the underground mall and passages -- basically go all out and give a final, fully featured version of Kamurocho.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, especially as I don't imagine that Kamurocho will be the main location of a main RGG game again any time soon. Only way I see it being added is if we get a Gaiden-like game that centers around Kamurocho where they add Kamuro Hills to the map. I don't see Kamurocho being a big enough part of Y9 or J3 to warrant RGG adding a new part of the city.

It would have been really nice, though, to have one final big game that centers around Kamurocho, with a modern map featuring Chinatown, Kamurocho Hills, the rooftops, the underground mall and passages -- basically go all out and give a final, fully featured version of Kamurocho.
One final hurrah for the city, while giving us all the areas that were in earlier games (mainly 4) would be amazing. Id love to see Little Asia opened back up (its been almost 10 years at this point!)
Kinda feel like they sorta missed the best opportunity doing it with Kiryu in 8, but Im sure they can come up with another good excuse to include it again.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Well think I'm done with Kiwami. Did Haruka's requests but don't think I'll do the climax battles or finish up the completion list so my typical "most of the things" way of finishing. Always funny that I'm driven to do the unreasonable things like getting Haruka's trust to max or getting most/all of the weapons I never will use but then just don't do the second run.

Still like the game more than some of the others that may be better. Can see real tragedy there that could have been better executed if it wasn't the first in the series with no idea of how/where it would go after. There is so much story and background between Kiriyu and characters that would never appear again that I'm attached to more than later things in the series. Think a reason I resent 0 is how little it did with that stuff when there was such an opportunity for it. Oh well.

One think they really could have done better was giving the ending a second pass. Not really story or what happens but the framing and setup of it. Like giving a good reason why a guy who was willing and tried to shoot a kid and was going to kill the other 2 people there didn't after one missed shot. Just continued to stand in the open with no cover or anything. Always forget how lacking the actual conversation with Nishikiyama is as well. Like his resentments up until that point never seemed to have anything to do with Yumi but that is the only thing that was touched on there.

Anyway, figured there is never really a reason to talk about K1 so I'd give it a few words before moving on. Think the next steam sale is in June so will see how much Gaidan and 8 are going for then.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
Did you see Metaphor: ReFantazio? It's Atlus' new upcoming turn-based RPG. It uses a different system in which weak enemies can be defeated with real-time action. Stronger enemies cannot be defeated that way, but you can initiate the fight with real-time action to start the turn-based battle with advantages. I wonder if RGG Studio might try something like that in their next RPG. I think some fans would like it.

Like a Dragon 8 has the best and most dynamic turn-based battle system I've ever played, but there's always room for improvements and new features.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never crossed my mind that it could be incorporated like that in 9. But I'd want my cake and eat it too meaning I'd want it to feel fully fleshed like a traditional brawler and less like Y8's dragon mode for Kiryu where you can only mash a couple buttons ie same animations (which is still cool in its own right in a turn based).

And I can't see the juice being worth the squeeze in my particular case, especially if you can do brawler mode only for weaker enemies.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
You couldn't defeat the strong enemies this way, but you could do the first attack or a basic combo. Perhaps attacking an enemy from behind without being seen. Like Persona 5 Royal's "ambush" mechanic, but more developed. I don't want the RPG to turn into a beat em up. It's just a more dynamic way to start the battle.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think there's a bit of room to make 9s combat slightly more brawler-ish while preserving what we have already. Ive already said how much I adore Kiryu in 8 because of how cleverly his default style works in a turn based battle, I really do feel with a bit more tweaking they could have something even better.

Oct 25, 2017
www.famitsu.com

『龍が如く』シリーズ最新作、ミナト区系女子オーディションが開催決定。本日5月10日より募集開始。シリーズへの出演チャンス! | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

セガは、現在開発中の『龍が如く』シリーズ最新作の出演者を募る“「龍が如く」最新作 ミナト区系女子オーディション”を開催決定。2024年5月10(金)より、日本国内在住の満20歳以上の人を対象に募集開始した。

The new hostess minigame audtions got announced today, 2 things from it.

- Live action again, sorry y'all. 🤣 (I liked it last time)

- The translator says it's called "Ryu ga Gotoku Latest Work Minato Ward Female Audition".
The article says the character will be from there.
Kabukicho is in Shinjuku and the possible/rumored new Ginza map is IRL in Chuo.
So this is either just that the character is from that part of Tokyo or we're getting something actually happening in Minato again. The tiny Roppongi map in Gaiden's intro is indeed in Minato so it could be an extension to that for the next game.
Maybe my speculation is pointless lol. We'll see. I just find it weird that they mention the character's origin explicitly. IIRC that wasn't the case during Gaiden's auditions.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I figured it would be live action again. Personally, I'm totally ok with that. I don't mind those scenes. But that's just a personal opinion of mine of course.

Having a new area located in Minato would be an awesome choice. Ginza itself would be pretty cool. They could do a lot with that area for sure and even include some famous landmarks that are reasily recognizable.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Live action isnt (really) what bothered me. Its the complete lack of dialoge (it repeats so quick) and just... limited options. Seeing as they dont do in game models, you cant have them in side stories or on dates like 5 (the best hostess experience) had. If they double down on it, I wanna have them improve it at least to a point where its not as bad as it was in Gaiden.

But honestly, throw in another Model 3 game and Ill be too distracted to really care about the hostess stuff beyond what is needed for completion lol. I honestly preferred the dating app in 8, because there's some funny fakeouts in it (its one of the few chicken jokes that worked for me, among others).

Speaking of, having had a long stretch of time to play games these past 2ish weeks, Ive finished a few games, among them FINALLY finishing the story (no, not the completion lists) for Yakuza 8. Short version. Loved it, amazing game. Longer version:

Almost 200 hours on the dot, and I finished the game. Granted its one of the few times I try and do most content before finishing the game, guess I just felt compelled to do it before the credits rolled. I put that down to 8 having some of the most compelling content for me to complete in the entire series.

First off. Story stuff. Its a sorta weird game in that regard. Definitely not handled as well as 0 in terms of dual protagonist, but not handled as bad as 4/5/Dead Souls. I loved both plots, but when Kiryu's quickly started to get going, I ended up finding that one more interesting within the game world that's been established all these years. As much as I adore Ichiban and his crew, the Hawaii plot is definitely the weaker of the two. HOWEVER I do love, in classic JRPG trope fashion that they managed to do the whole Fight God type plot, but making it work within the (slightly) more grounded confines of RGG. It also cracked me up that for all his preaching and "control", Bryce is "just" a gun boss. Its just a funny counter to what these bosses usually are - beings of insane power which can take you out with an otherworldly death beam - not just a dude with a silver tongue and two guns lol. Is he one of the weakest villains in the series? ... probably. I mean, I knew he was bad news from day 1 so unlike 6's waste of space, this one was predictable and expected, and I did enjoy the overall mystery to it. He's probably gonna swim around with 4's final boss(es). Not amazing, but serviceable for the plot.

Ichiban's side of things really only (for me) suffered for me due to pacing. Yet at the same time, the more I think about it, once I get over that I actually liked all the places the plot went with the games. Its kinda hard to decide if its that big of a deal or not. Am I really gonna care that it sorta Shenmue'd its main plot point (as in, focusing on just one thing for several chapters?). Nah, probably not, looking at it more of a journey, not the destination, I adored it. But more on why later.

Kiryu's side of things? This one was handled really darn well. You always gotta wonder just how the heck they'll handle someones plot which was "resolved" badly in the end of 6, but someone, not only did the writers have a good idea with his plot in 8, but manages to not only make 6's plot AND ending better on reflection but also sorta address a number of issues with the character Ive had for years. So that's gotta be worth some sorta award... Oh, and not to mention they didnt butcher the ending like I feared, that is fantastically handled.
Kiryu's core plot of finding out that the second great disillusion is not actually a legit thing, but rather a way of sweeping up all the Yakuza and essentially turning them into slaves/killing them slowly due to a dude that has a major chip on his shoulder about Yakuza was... certainly not the way Id see it going in a million years. While it sounds balmy, it actually works because it puts Kiryu directly at odds with Ebina. Kiryu finally fucking admits that he fucked up the way he handled his five minutes as chairman, and Daigo not so subtly calls Kiryu out for not having a clue what it all felt like to handle the stuff he had to shoulder (again, because Kiryu shows up, helps for 5 minutes, then bolts when the actual work needs doing - something he's done for so many games at this point).
Its a strange, yet compelling case of where Kiryu's basically fighting for the thing he just cant give up - as in the Yakuza itself. He doesnt want thousands of people to suffer for the mistakes of his generation.

Now Ebina himself is also another somewhat unremarkable villain. Higher than a Aizawa, Iwami or 4's villains for sure, as his machinations had a clear through line, but the dude didnt exactly exude coolness, or whatever the heck dudes like Mine, Ryuji or Nishiki had. He's probably mid tier for me. Above 4-6s, but under 0-3s and 7's. I do wonder if Ebina even needed the ties to Arakawa. Feels sorta contrived. I feel his plot could have worked just as fine without that. Especially as they (smartly) kept Ichiban away from him for 90% of the game so it avoided another Aoki Ryo ending.

Overall. Adding in Kiryu's side stuff as another angle on his story, not to mention his ending, I feel that they absolutely hit a home run here with Kiryu.

Notes on the endings specifically - while the plots could be a little uneven at times, I wanna talk about the finale chapters first... They are flippin' huge. Like, the game could have easily been a chapter longer and split them up, I think its fair to say that both finale dungeons are suitably huge and they dont compromise on spectacle either.
I had to chuckle at Ichiban's, where the entire thing started to feel like Resident Evil 4, even to the point where your attacked by creatures at not one but TWO points in the journey. Its wacky, but remember Yakuza 2 started this so dont start saying this is some sort of crazy turn for the series ;) The island itself also feels like a mix of two areas of RE4, which again cracked me up... Yakuza 6 has a brief moment with a spooky area and stalker type enemy that some said was out of character for the series, well Id argue now its perfectly in character! I had a blast with the setting, the music, and the encounters. Oh, and it ties up one plot thread which I honestly thought had been ignored because its literally not mentioned for most of the game.
Also props to Ichiban by not letting Bryce go out on his own terms. I honestly saw him jumping over the edge in one of those cheesy deaths, but Ichiban actually bothering to save him is so on point for him, plus not only that, its a great subversion for a series that does that so often. 10/10 defeat there lol.
Also I assumed Eiji would have been a sub boss for Ebina, but having him be the one Ichiban saves, without throwing a punch... I loved it. But not gonna lie I was on edge the entire time thinking that he'd get sniped or something.

Kiryu's side of things is just a big ol' nostalgia trip. I actually had his finale placed at the Tojo HQ, but having them do that one earlier I suppose I should have seen the Millenium Tower coming. Its absolutely recycled from 7's version (I ran that one back to front so many times I can say that with certainty), and they even feed into the whole "Kiryu dont kill noone" with the whole helicopters bit. Both being something 6 did, and 0 did. Its a solid dungeon but Id have liked a few more new areas since Ive seen most of those floors before.
His ending though? Powerful for a different reason. He tries to reason with Ebina who is certain he'll just try again (who knows if he will), but its really just the short ending that wins it for me. Kiryu passes out and is shown rushed to the hospital, and in the post credits scene, its revealed that Haruka and Haruto know he's alive (I mean, watch the news?) and that they can see him again. And that Kiryu's actually not given up, and physically says his real name again, kinda coming full circle from 6. It feels satisfying, if maybe a tad messy on how that works. But who cares. After 12 years of sad endings, Im calling this one a win as no one died and its a happy ending. Let me have this one lol.

Speaking of Yakuza 6... I personally grew less satisfied with the ending the more I disliked the final boss (weird throughline I know). I just felt Kiryu was better than that. 6 often felt sorta... like a spinoff/side story what with how little his main cast did anything, how most of his side stories had sod all to do with his legacy, how his combat was butchered, how his ending just sorta... disrespected him and the immediate rollback that said ending gets in the post credits scene (aside the "Haruto first steps" bit, that was powerful.
Gaiden and 8 though... actually not only fix the issues I had with 6 (better plots, ending, side stories and actually using side characters galore to glance into their lives post their appearances and catch up with them) but also because these also kinda gave worth to his turn at the end of 6, and made me like the ending more. Showing that side of Kiryu where he's basically lost it all (in a matter of speaking) which goes on to make 8 especially work all the better (Gaiden's mainly just for the better final boss, amazing ending, and amazing final chapter/arena... ok most set pieces lol).
So again, that's another thing I loved about the plot. And now... the last piece. The most important thing in the games... the characters. Which since there's so many, Im only talking about a couple because Im lazy. And I havent even got to gameplay yet.

For Ichiban, honestly almost any character can be here. His great friendship with Tomi or Chitose, his ongoing bromance with Adachi (love those two as friends), or the slightly more complicated, but still terrific back and fourth he and Han get. Oh, and props to the dev team for not only giving Ichiban a great one on one moment with his mom, but not offing her. Seriously, the restraint shown in not offing characters in this game is one of the other reasons I love it. Still mad about Hanawa though

But no, I wanna talk about the MVP of this entire damn game. That's Yamai.
Yamai is probably the first real antagonist in the game you meet. Dude controls Tomizawa's life, and is initially seen as just your average Yakuza evil dude. And for a few chapters... he is. I mean, he sets fire to a wooded area just to get at Kiryu lol (this is by far one of my favourite things he does in the game, just peak Yakuza 1 levels of Majima madness). Then you have a great boss fight against him again in his spooky rundown club, where his hostesses cheer him on. And it reveals that he actually isnt a one dimensional gangster. At this point his character fleshes out a bit, with him then (reluctantly) helping Ichiban more and more, while also acting as a real badass. But rarely do villains or supporting characters get closure plot wise, so Yamai's last move is the one that sealed the deal for me - Using his own infamy in Japan, he manages to get safe passage for Lani, Akane and Ichiban's team back to Japan. This of course leads to an amazing third fight against Dwight AND a shark in one of my favourite bosses in the series. And then he bolts once they reach Japanese soil. And its all just to wrap up his plot with his former but not quite lover. Yamai then surrenders while giving up that big coat his been wearing all this time. Dude lives so that he can absolutely come back Sawakshiro style right? He's far FAR too good to be a one and done.

For Kiryu, again he gets a lot of great moments with characters, most of which are meeting up, at least from a distance with old friends from previous games. But the one I loved most is a newbie, and not even for her Kiryu interactions per se... But I just loved Seong Hee in this game. Love her no nonsense (for the most part) personality, but also love how she can be funny/goofy/not so serious as well. The game does an amazing job basically fleshing all party members out thanks to the optional dialogue, dining talks etc. that Ive probably triggered almost all of the optional hidden ones because... well they are just all that good! Love Zhao continuing his love for arcades and Sega stuff (a trait revealed in Yakuza 7), love both Han and Seong Hee getting to be shown as more than just members of the criminal underworld, love Namba's frugal advice, and just love anytime Ichiban and Adachi have a conversation as its usually hilarious.

Anyway, now onto what took me so long to finish the game. The gameplay/content...

So first off, my one minus point. The game unloads the content on you fairly slowly. So you'll be far into chapter 6 I think before all of Ichiban's stuff is unlocked and Kiryu's stuff hasnt even started by that point! If people were frustrated when Kiwami 2 pulled you away from the main plot for its two pieces of content, well Id imagine people might be more annoyed with this (bright side, this has better content).

Main content wise, Dodonko Island is insanely addictive, and probably the most fun of the big modes Ive played in years. Id say 0 with its Cabaret Club is still good/addictive (well, the first time), but look at Ishin - the Haruka stuff dragged because of the completion list, 6's Clan stuff was shallow as a puddle, 7's business management isnt much deeper AND you basically get too good, too fast at it that all challenge disappears long before hitting rank one, to the point where its a grind. Dodonko is fairly breezy in that regard, its slower at first until you get a couple of stars and get access to the farm, but its pretty easy to get standards up to the point where you'll be 5 star in no time. Its a fun ol' story, gameplay loop was perfect for me, and there's a whole completion list Ive yet to complete that's gonna take hours to do (all optional, Im just mad!)
Plus the mix of scavenging, fighting, building, fishing, catching bugs etc. Its like Animal Crossing except it isnt a waste of my time, has an ending, and lets me listen to Sega music as I play. So vastly superior ;)

Sujimon is another home run for me. I love the concept of Sujimon in 7 and them going full force on the Pokemon parody was the right choice. I loved building up and improving my team, and I still have a few I gotta catch even though Ive finished the game! Plus I wanna fill out my entire dex (missing around 25-30 mon). The story is silly yet endearing, I love the professor and Sodachi's journey. No idea how the heck they'll top this in 9... I mean, I suppose they'd need to Pokemon Gold/Silver it and basically introduce a post game story that's the size of the main game, giving rise to new mon to catch and tougher dudes to beat...

Arcade... ah my beloved arcade. Gaiden went in hard with Daytona 2 and surprise favourite FV2, and honestly I knew Id love 8s because when Spikeout and VF3 are two thirds of your headliners, its basically an instant win. Little did I expect Sega Bass Fishing to be the true addictive masterpiece of the bunch! Seriously, Ive put tons of time into this one, even without the rod controller I love it!
But onto Spikeout, my standout mini game for Y8. The combat is insanely deep here, you can do some incredibly combos that really open up enemies and even bosses, tons of moves to use, and the game is tough as nails. Its also insanely long, with a run taking well over an hour to complete, with multiple routes through it - aside the choice of mall or shipyard during stage 2, there's also some alternate paths in whichever third stage you take. I keep coming back to this one, and it took a long time to get half good at it, still not great but I understand how it works better now. And Ill be going back for more during my completion list(s) run later.
VF3 is VF. But on a slope! What is most impressive here is considering this game came out at a time when 3D fighters were still in their infancy. AM2 ups things yet again with an even deeper, prettier etc. game that also includes uneven battle grounds (something fighters rarely do). Its also a team game, so knowing one character aint enough... Im no VF pro (nowhere near close lol) but I really clicked with this one. I love a team of Sarah, Pai and Lau (sometimes Leon, sometimes Jeff). Its an incredibly impressive technical achievement that also still plays insanely well to this day.

Oh, and the UFO catcher... we got some new toys here and there, and I wonder if Im the only one that got them all? Aka let me tell you more about big box toys! Now, the ones in Hawaii and Kamurocho just require you to keep trying until you get it just right so that you get them vertically, then to fall down the hole...
But the Ijincho pocket circuit toys? Nightmares. I had to get them all TWICE as I did them with Ichiban prior to leaving for Hawaii only for Kiryu to have to do them again lol. And they are a pain in the ass. Unlike the others, the boxes can sorta get "stuck" as they may sorta half go down the hole, but not all the way. It took me longer than Ill admit to get these three, and while there's literally no point at doing so (aside completion list glory), I just couldnt not do them. Initially Id thought theyd patched the boxed stuff to be easier to get, but no its just the other location ones are easier to get, with Ijincho#s that much tougher and I dont know why!

Karaoke. A one two punch of not only including amazing new songs for everyone (well, almost everyone), but also including past songs for the 7 crew, and a shit ton of classics for Kiryu. Its a legacy mini game that's otherwise not really changed, but the sheer amount of content here keeps me coming back just because there's so many to play. Pity about Tomizawa though ;(

Hawaii activities - Crazy Drive is terrific and goes from strength to strength as I try and "clear the board" in terms of not only getting a huge high score, but also delivering to everyone. Its got that Crazy Taxi DNA (sans Bad Religion music), infused with some gorgeous Sega blue skies!
Sicko Snap was a laugh, I just wish they could have had a little more variety in how the pervs appeared. But again trying to S rank all courses is great fun, and some of the interactions with them are legit hilarious.

Legacy Activities. Not gonna cover these here because... its a long list, but what this improves on over 7 and previous games are how you can have your whole party take part in more activities now. Mahjong, Poker and the like are way more fun now that your not just playing against faceless AI characters but rather your actual in game friends. Aside the arcade for whatever silly reason... you have VF3 and Spikeout right there... you have Saeko and Zhao comment how much they love VF/Sega... why not capitalise on that? Missed opportunity.

And lastly, because this is long enough as is... combat. Which is, hands down the biggest improvement over 7.
I enjoyed 7's combat, and knew RGGS would improve it. But this much? Yeah, wasnt quite expecting that lol. First off, movement - limited it may be, but it serves a key purpose on why its better. Its just much more fun to position your team to execute combos.

Second, said team combos... I love that you can knock enemies into your team for followups. Its sorta like pinball, where your hitting enemies off your team into other enemies for big damage. It means that you wont always default to one attack because sometimes its better to bounce them about.

Guard breaks and other status effects - Feels this stuff works better in the sequel. Guard breaking is a good idea and prompts you to keep a good guard break move on hard. Status effects also feel useful especially debuffs and the like as something like Warcry + a full on defense debuff + Kiryu strong attack = life bar decimated. There is in fact strategy there, more so than what 7 had.

Area of effect indicators... perhaps the best change is seeing how your attack will effect enemies - is it wide? Will it knock back etc. Makes it much easier to damage several enemies at once.

Difficulty - Feel this sorta got overlooked in discussions to "yeah you dont grind like in 7". So here's the opinion of someone trying to make the game harder. You can absolutely do that, and it works! The first few chapters you may wanna focus on the plot until around chapter 7/8 if you want dungeons as tough as possible, but honestly you can easily just focus on enjoying your time as later fights are plenty challenging. The whole job stuff from 7 isnt as big of a deal this time, good weapons are given out like candy (I basically NEVER crafted anything, there's just little to no point to it unless you wanna be proper OP, something I saved for post game). Just equip weaker gear and you'll basically always be challenged. Whether that be doing less damage to prolong fights longer, or using worse gear so your not so defensively protected... its all legit possible and in those later chapters I never found myself OP, but also bosses werent as long as 7's.

Bosses are also improved. From better dynamic intros, to the reintroduction of QTEs, to some great flourishes in fights like proper tactics and some glorious fan service in one particular boss battle(s). Its not quite where I want it for the fusion of brawler and RPG, but its getting close.

And saving the best for last, the MVP of the game combat wise - Kiryu. Honestly if anything this proves that brawler can be done in a slightly more traditional, deeper way, retaining the feel of the older games while also embracing turn based combat. Kiryu's stances work so darn well, and are so deep - including heat moves, exclusive counters, exclusive weapon grabs for beast, and a ton of special moves that harken back to his brawler days... Im just legit amazed at how RGGS got it all to work without it feeling silly or diminished. I said it before, but Kiwami 3 could totally be turn based with this sort of effort put into the combat. I really hope we see more DOD levels of depth put into future characters.

So yeah, even if your like "ew turn based", 8 still should be tried, its amazing. And seriously, brawlers aint going anywhere lol.

I know some complain about the bloat of the game. Well to no surprise I love it the way as is. I also love Yakuza 5 the way it is, so consider that!

So all in all... I loved it. Big shocker there right? Plot was both a little wonky, but still delivered. I still love Ichiban's style and personality, he elevates his section where a lesser character would have tanked it. Kiryu proved that while he probably should have retired after 5, he's still welcome when the plot calls for it because he can still bring it.

And now I try and get the rest of the 12 months of games I have finished in just over 6 because this game went way over time for me! And I still have some post game/completion stuff to do.
Oh, and also roll on Yakuza 9.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
Live action isnt (really) what bothered me. Its the complete lack of dialoge (it repeats so quick) and just... limited options. Seeing as they dont do in game models, you cant have them in side stories or on dates like 5 (the best hostess experience) had. If they double down on it, I wanna have them improve it at least to a point where its not as bad as it was in Gaiden.

But honestly, throw in another Model 3 game and Ill be too distracted to really care about the hostess stuff beyond what is needed for completion lol. I honestly preferred the dating app in 8, because there's some funny fakeouts in it (its one of the few chicken jokes that worked for me, among others).

Speaking of, having had a long stretch of time to play games these past 2ish weeks, Ive finished a few games, among them FINALLY finishing the story (no, not the completion lists) for Yakuza 8. Short version. Loved it, amazing game. Longer version:

Almost 200 hours on the dot, and I finished the game. Granted its one of the few times I try and do most content before finishing the game, guess I just felt compelled to do it before the credits rolled. I put that down to 8 having some of the most compelling content for me to complete in the entire series.

First off. Story stuff. Its a sorta weird game in that regard. Definitely not handled as well as 0 in terms of dual protagonist, but not handled as bad as 4/5/Dead Souls. I loved both plots, but when Kiryu's quickly started to get going, I ended up finding that one more interesting within the game world that's been established all these years. As much as I adore Ichiban and his crew, the Hawaii plot is definitely the weaker of the two. HOWEVER I do love, in classic JRPG trope fashion that they managed to do the whole Fight God type plot, but making it work within the (slightly) more grounded confines of RGG. It also cracked me up that for all his preaching and "control", Bryce is "just" a gun boss. Its just a funny counter to what these bosses usually are - beings of insane power which can take you out with an otherworldly death beam - not just a dude with a silver tongue and two guns lol. Is he one of the weakest villains in the series? ... probably. I mean, I knew he was bad news from day 1 so unlike 6's waste of space, this one was predictable and expected, and I did enjoy the overall mystery to it. He's probably gonna swim around with 4's final boss(es). Not amazing, but serviceable for the plot.

Ichiban's side of things really only (for me) suffered for me due to pacing. Yet at the same time, the more I think about it, once I get over that I actually liked all the places the plot went with the games. Its kinda hard to decide if its that big of a deal or not. Am I really gonna care that it sorta Shenmue'd its main plot point (as in, focusing on just one thing for several chapters?). Nah, probably not, looking at it more of a journey, not the destination, I adored it. But more on why later.

Kiryu's side of things? This one was handled really darn well. You always gotta wonder just how the heck they'll handle someones plot which was "resolved" badly in the end of 6, but someone, not only did the writers have a good idea with his plot in 8, but manages to not only make 6's plot AND ending better on reflection but also sorta address a number of issues with the character Ive had for years. So that's gotta be worth some sorta award... Oh, and not to mention they didnt butcher the ending like I feared, that is fantastically handled.
Kiryu's core plot of finding out that the second great disillusion is not actually a legit thing, but rather a way of sweeping up all the Yakuza and essentially turning them into slaves/killing them slowly due to a dude that has a major chip on his shoulder about Yakuza was... certainly not the way Id see it going in a million years. While it sounds balmy, it actually works because it puts Kiryu directly at odds with Ebina. Kiryu finally fucking admits that he fucked up the way he handled his five minutes as chairman, and Daigo not so subtly calls Kiryu out for not having a clue what it all felt like to handle the stuff he had to shoulder (again, because Kiryu shows up, helps for 5 minutes, then bolts when the actual work needs doing - something he's done for so many games at this point).
Its a strange, yet compelling case of where Kiryu's basically fighting for the thing he just cant give up - as in the Yakuza itself. He doesnt want thousands of people to suffer for the mistakes of his generation.

Now Ebina himself is also another somewhat unremarkable villain. Higher than a Aizawa, Iwami or 4's villains for sure, as his machinations had a clear through line, but the dude didnt exactly exude coolness, or whatever the heck dudes like Mine, Ryuji or Nishiki had. He's probably mid tier for me. Above 4-6s, but under 0-3s and 7's. I do wonder if Ebina even needed the ties to Arakawa. Feels sorta contrived. I feel his plot could have worked just as fine without that. Especially as they (smartly) kept Ichiban away from him for 90% of the game so it avoided another Aoki Ryo ending.

Overall. Adding in Kiryu's side stuff as another angle on his story, not to mention his ending, I feel that they absolutely hit a home run here with Kiryu.

Notes on the endings specifically - while the plots could be a little uneven at times, I wanna talk about the finale chapters first... They are flippin' huge. Like, the game could have easily been a chapter longer and split them up, I think its fair to say that both finale dungeons are suitably huge and they dont compromise on spectacle either.
I had to chuckle at Ichiban's, where the entire thing started to feel like Resident Evil 4, even to the point where your attacked by creatures at not one but TWO points in the journey. Its wacky, but remember Yakuza 2 started this so dont start saying this is some sort of crazy turn for the series ;) The island itself also feels like a mix of two areas of RE4, which again cracked me up... Yakuza 6 has a brief moment with a spooky area and stalker type enemy that some said was out of character for the series, well Id argue now its perfectly in character! I had a blast with the setting, the music, and the encounters. Oh, and it ties up one plot thread which I honestly thought had been ignored because its literally not mentioned for most of the game.
Also props to Ichiban by not letting Bryce go out on his own terms. I honestly saw him jumping over the edge in one of those cheesy deaths, but Ichiban actually bothering to save him is so on point for him, plus not only that, its a great subversion for a series that does that so often. 10/10 defeat there lol.
Also I assumed Eiji would have been a sub boss for Ebina, but having him be the one Ichiban saves, without throwing a punch... I loved it. But not gonna lie I was on edge the entire time thinking that he'd get sniped or something.

Kiryu's side of things is just a big ol' nostalgia trip. I actually had his finale placed at the Tojo HQ, but having them do that one earlier I suppose I should have seen the Millenium Tower coming. Its absolutely recycled from 7's version (I ran that one back to front so many times I can say that with certainty), and they even feed into the whole "Kiryu dont kill noone" with the whole helicopters bit. Both being something 6 did, and 0 did. Its a solid dungeon but Id have liked a few more new areas since Ive seen most of those floors before.
His ending though? Powerful for a different reason. He tries to reason with Ebina who is certain he'll just try again (who knows if he will), but its really just the short ending that wins it for me. Kiryu passes out and is shown rushed to the hospital, and in the post credits scene, its revealed that Haruka and Haruto know he's alive (I mean, watch the news?) and that they can see him again. And that Kiryu's actually not given up, and physically says his real name again, kinda coming full circle from 6. It feels satisfying, if maybe a tad messy on how that works. But who cares. After 12 years of sad endings, Im calling this one a win as no one died and its a happy ending. Let me have this one lol.

Speaking of Yakuza 6... I personally grew less satisfied with the ending the more I disliked the final boss (weird throughline I know). I just felt Kiryu was better than that. 6 often felt sorta... like a spinoff/side story what with how little his main cast did anything, how most of his side stories had sod all to do with his legacy, how his combat was butchered, how his ending just sorta... disrespected him and the immediate rollback that said ending gets in the post credits scene (aside the "Haruto first steps" bit, that was powerful.
Gaiden and 8 though... actually not only fix the issues I had with 6 (better plots, ending, side stories and actually using side characters galore to glance into their lives post their appearances and catch up with them) but also because these also kinda gave worth to his turn at the end of 6, and made me like the ending more. Showing that side of Kiryu where he's basically lost it all (in a matter of speaking) which goes on to make 8 especially work all the better (Gaiden's mainly just for the better final boss, amazing ending, and amazing final chapter/arena... ok most set pieces lol).
So again, that's another thing I loved about the plot. And now... the last piece. The most important thing in the games... the characters. Which since there's so many, Im only talking about a couple because Im lazy. And I havent even got to gameplay yet.

For Ichiban, honestly almost any character can be here. His great friendship with Tomi or Chitose, his ongoing bromance with Adachi (love those two as friends), or the slightly more complicated, but still terrific back and fourth he and Han get. Oh, and props to the dev team for not only giving Ichiban a great one on one moment with his mom, but not offing her. Seriously, the restraint shown in not offing characters in this game is one of the other reasons I love it. Still mad about Hanawa though

But no, I wanna talk about the MVP of this entire damn game. That's Yamai.
Yamai is probably the first real antagonist in the game you meet. Dude controls Tomizawa's life, and is initially seen as just your average Yakuza evil dude. And for a few chapters... he is. I mean, he sets fire to a wooded area just to get at Kiryu lol (this is by far one of my favourite things he does in the game, just peak Yakuza 1 levels of Majima madness). Then you have a great boss fight against him again in his spooky rundown club, where his hostesses cheer him on. And it reveals that he actually isnt a one dimensional gangster. At this point his character fleshes out a bit, with him then (reluctantly) helping Ichiban more and more, while also acting as a real badass. But rarely do villains or supporting characters get closure plot wise, so Yamai's last move is the one that sealed the deal for me - Using his own infamy in Japan, he manages to get safe passage for Lani, Akane and Ichiban's team back to Japan. This of course leads to an amazing third fight against Dwight AND a shark in one of my favourite bosses in the series. And then he bolts once they reach Japanese soil. And its all just to wrap up his plot with his former but not quite lover. Yamai then surrenders while giving up that big coat his been wearing all this time. Dude lives so that he can absolutely come back Sawakshiro style right? He's far FAR too good to be a one and done.

For Kiryu, again he gets a lot of great moments with characters, most of which are meeting up, at least from a distance with old friends from previous games. But the one I loved most is a newbie, and not even for her Kiryu interactions per se... But I just loved Seong Hee in this game. Love her no nonsense (for the most part) personality, but also love how she can be funny/goofy/not so serious as well. The game does an amazing job basically fleshing all party members out thanks to the optional dialogue, dining talks etc. that Ive probably triggered almost all of the optional hidden ones because... well they are just all that good! Love Zhao continuing his love for arcades and Sega stuff (a trait revealed in Yakuza 7), love both Han and Seong Hee getting to be shown as more than just members of the criminal underworld, love Namba's frugal advice, and just love anytime Ichiban and Adachi have a conversation as its usually hilarious.

Anyway, now onto what took me so long to finish the game. The gameplay/content...

So first off, my one minus point. The game unloads the content on you fairly slowly. So you'll be far into chapter 6 I think before all of Ichiban's stuff is unlocked and Kiryu's stuff hasnt even started by that point! If people were frustrated when Kiwami 2 pulled you away from the main plot for its two pieces of content, well Id imagine people might be more annoyed with this (bright side, this has better content).

Main content wise, Dodonko Island is insanely addictive, and probably the most fun of the big modes Ive played in years. Id say 0 with its Cabaret Club is still good/addictive (well, the first time), but look at Ishin - the Haruka stuff dragged because of the completion list, 6's Clan stuff was shallow as a puddle, 7's business management isnt much deeper AND you basically get too good, too fast at it that all challenge disappears long before hitting rank one, to the point where its a grind. Dodonko is fairly breezy in that regard, its slower at first until you get a couple of stars and get access to the farm, but its pretty easy to get standards up to the point where you'll be 5 star in no time. Its a fun ol' story, gameplay loop was perfect for me, and there's a whole completion list Ive yet to complete that's gonna take hours to do (all optional, Im just mad!)
Plus the mix of scavenging, fighting, building, fishing, catching bugs etc. Its like Animal Crossing except it isnt a waste of my time, has an ending, and lets me listen to Sega music as I play. So vastly superior ;)

Sujimon is another home run for me. I love the concept of Sujimon in 7 and them going full force on the Pokemon parody was the right choice. I loved building up and improving my team, and I still have a few I gotta catch even though Ive finished the game! Plus I wanna fill out my entire dex (missing around 25-30 mon). The story is silly yet endearing, I love the professor and Sodachi's journey. No idea how the heck they'll top this in 9... I mean, I suppose they'd need to Pokemon Gold/Silver it and basically introduce a post game story that's the size of the main game, giving rise to new mon to catch and tougher dudes to beat...

Arcade... ah my beloved arcade. Gaiden went in hard with Daytona 2 and surprise favourite FV2, and honestly I knew Id love 8s because when Spikeout and VF3 are two thirds of your headliners, its basically an instant win. Little did I expect Sega Bass Fishing to be the true addictive masterpiece of the bunch! Seriously, Ive put tons of time into this one, even without the rod controller I love it!
But onto Spikeout, my standout mini game for Y8. The combat is insanely deep here, you can do some incredibly combos that really open up enemies and even bosses, tons of moves to use, and the game is tough as nails. Its also insanely long, with a run taking well over an hour to complete, with multiple routes through it - aside the choice of mall or shipyard during stage 2, there's also some alternate paths in whichever third stage you take. I keep coming back to this one, and it took a long time to get half good at it, still not great but I understand how it works better now. And Ill be going back for more during my completion list(s) run later.
VF3 is VF. But on a slope! What is most impressive here is considering this game came out at a time when 3D fighters were still in their infancy. AM2 ups things yet again with an even deeper, prettier etc. game that also includes uneven battle grounds (something fighters rarely do). Its also a team game, so knowing one character aint enough... Im no VF pro (nowhere near close lol) but I really clicked with this one. I love a team of Sarah, Pai and Lau (sometimes Leon, sometimes Jeff). Its an incredibly impressive technical achievement that also still plays insanely well to this day.

Oh, and the UFO catcher... we got some new toys here and there, and I wonder if Im the only one that got them all? Aka let me tell you more about big box toys! Now, the ones in Hawaii and Kamurocho just require you to keep trying until you get it just right so that you get them vertically, then to fall down the hole...
But the Ijincho pocket circuit toys? Nightmares. I had to get them all TWICE as I did them with Ichiban prior to leaving for Hawaii only for Kiryu to have to do them again lol. And they are a pain in the ass. Unlike the others, the boxes can sorta get "stuck" as they may sorta half go down the hole, but not all the way. It took me longer than Ill admit to get these three, and while there's literally no point at doing so (aside completion list glory), I just couldnt not do them. Initially Id thought theyd patched the boxed stuff to be easier to get, but no its just the other location ones are easier to get, with Ijincho#s that much tougher and I dont know why!

Karaoke. A one two punch of not only including amazing new songs for everyone (well, almost everyone), but also including past songs for the 7 crew, and a shit ton of classics for Kiryu. Its a legacy mini game that's otherwise not really changed, but the sheer amount of content here keeps me coming back just because there's so many to play. Pity about Tomizawa though ;(

Hawaii activities - Crazy Drive is terrific and goes from strength to strength as I try and "clear the board" in terms of not only getting a huge high score, but also delivering to everyone. Its got that Crazy Taxi DNA (sans Bad Religion music), infused with some gorgeous Sega blue skies!
Sicko Snap was a laugh, I just wish they could have had a little more variety in how the pervs appeared. But again trying to S rank all courses is great fun, and some of the interactions with them are legit hilarious.

Legacy Activities. Not gonna cover these here because... its a long list, but what this improves on over 7 and previous games are how you can have your whole party take part in more activities now. Mahjong, Poker and the like are way more fun now that your not just playing against faceless AI characters but rather your actual in game friends. Aside the arcade for whatever silly reason... you have VF3 and Spikeout right there... you have Saeko and Zhao comment how much they love VF/Sega... why not capitalise on that? Missed opportunity.

And lastly, because this is long enough as is... combat. Which is, hands down the biggest improvement over 7.
I enjoyed 7's combat, and knew RGGS would improve it. But this much? Yeah, wasnt quite expecting that lol. First off, movement - limited it may be, but it serves a key purpose on why its better. Its just much more fun to position your team to execute combos.

Second, said team combos... I love that you can knock enemies into your team for followups. Its sorta like pinball, where your hitting enemies off your team into other enemies for big damage. It means that you wont always default to one attack because sometimes its better to bounce them about.

Guard breaks and other status effects - Feels this stuff works better in the sequel. Guard breaking is a good idea and prompts you to keep a good guard break move on hard. Status effects also feel useful especially debuffs and the like as something like Warcry + a full on defense debuff + Kiryu strong attack = life bar decimated. There is in fact strategy there, more so than what 7 had.

Area of effect indicators... perhaps the best change is seeing how your attack will effect enemies - is it wide? Will it knock back etc. Makes it much easier to damage several enemies at once.

Difficulty - Feel this sorta got overlooked in discussions to "yeah you dont grind like in 7". So here's the opinion of someone trying to make the game harder. You can absolutely do that, and it works! The first few chapters you may wanna focus on the plot until around chapter 7/8 if you want dungeons as tough as possible, but honestly you can easily just focus on enjoying your time as later fights are plenty challenging. The whole job stuff from 7 isnt as big of a deal this time, good weapons are given out like candy (I basically NEVER crafted anything, there's just little to no point to it unless you wanna be proper OP, something I saved for post game). Just equip weaker gear and you'll basically always be challenged. Whether that be doing less damage to prolong fights longer, or using worse gear so your not so defensively protected... its all legit possible and in those later chapters I never found myself OP, but also bosses werent as long as 7's.

Bosses are also improved. From better dynamic intros, to the reintroduction of QTEs, to some great flourishes in fights like proper tactics and some glorious fan service in one particular boss battle(s). Its not quite where I want it for the fusion of brawler and RPG, but its getting close.

And saving the best for last, the MVP of the game combat wise - Kiryu. Honestly if anything this proves that brawler can be done in a slightly more traditional, deeper way, retaining the feel of the older games while also embracing turn based combat. Kiryu's stances work so darn well, and are so deep - including heat moves, exclusive counters, exclusive weapon grabs for beast, and a ton of special moves that harken back to his brawler days... Im just legit amazed at how RGGS got it all to work without it feeling silly or diminished. I said it before, but Kiwami 3 could totally be turn based with this sort of effort put into the combat. I really hope we see more DOD levels of depth put into future characters.

So yeah, even if your like "ew turn based", 8 still should be tried, its amazing. And seriously, brawlers aint going anywhere lol.

I know some complain about the bloat of the game. Well to no surprise I love it the way as is. I also love Yakuza 5 the way it is, so consider that!

So all in all... I loved it. Big shocker there right? Plot was both a little wonky, but still delivered. I still love Ichiban's style and personality, he elevates his section where a lesser character would have tanked it. Kiryu proved that while he probably should have retired after 5, he's still welcome when the plot calls for it because he can still bring it.

And now I try and get the rest of the 12 months of games I have finished in just over 6 because this game went way over time for me! And I still have some post game/completion stuff to do.
Oh, and also roll on Yakuza 9.
I was looking forward to reading your final impressions! I wish I had your patience instead of hitting the credits just a few weeks after release. We've been waiting years for this release, after all. But I just can't resist the curiosity of seeing the ending.

The new characters are great, the new setting is interesting, Ichiban makes everything better, and I really liked how they handled Kiryu's side. Game was a lot of fun, definitely my new favorite in the series. This one was special. Obviously the next game can always improve the story, gameplay, content, graphics, but 8 had so many selling points. Watching that RGG Summit and the story and gameplay trailers you're like "I need this game right now". I hope 9 is just as interesting.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking forward to reading your final impressions! I wish I had your patience instead of hitting the credits just a few weeks after release. We've been waiting years for this release, after all. But I just can't resist the curiosity of seeing the ending.

The new characters are great, the new setting is interesting, Ichiban makes everything better, and I really liked how they handled Kiryu's side. Game was a lot of fun, definitely my new favorite in the series. This one was special. Obviously the next game can always improve the story, gameplay, content, graphics, but 8 had so many selling points. Watching that RGG Summit and the story and gameplay trailers you're like "I need this game right now". I hope 9 is just as interesting.
Thanks, and yeah totally agree. 8 was a super exciting prospect and all those mini games/content had me super excited. Plus they promoted Kiryu's side of things well, making me (correctly) think that he wouldnt be a waste in this.

But just curious in several ways where 9 can go from here. Story is gonna be really interesting... I know 7 sorta wanted to act as a new dawn for the series (new protag and all), but it again feels like the in game world is gonna be very different by the time 9 rolls around, very exciting!
Thankfully we already know much more Yakuza is coming, not like we'll be left waiting long to get "something", even if we dont know what that something is yet!

8 definitely fulfilled my hype as this huge game that Ive waited 4 years for in every sense. And yet Im just as excited to see what the next big Yakuza game does, but on the other hand, kinda feel like Im happy to wait a couple of years for it, I need time to catch up with a few other releases (and finally get that 2/Kiwami 2 dual replay in)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Me today: "Im gonna start post game stuff, nice and relaxing"
Me an hour ago: "Enemies leveled up as well? Shit, time to start crafting stuff!"

Love they did this. As I didnt want the post game to be a pointless pushover. 8 handles enemies and leveling far better than 7 did that's for sure, which probably explains why Im still loving the combat in this one even after spending so long playing it. Focusing on the battle related completion targets, as well as the dungeons first, with some Dondoko sprinkled in for slightly more relaxing fun!

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Back to Y8 after a short break. I finally unlocked job swapping and now I can bash dudes to my hearts content to get all the defeat 100 enemies as such and such job. It feels great. The little cutscenes that unlock the jobs are great. A bit annoyed at some of the gender locked jobs though. Housekeeper for women only, really? Come on, we're better than that. I haven't unlocked too many yet but there seems to be a whole lot of jobs to work through. The Sujimancer job is cool as shit. I really wasn't expecting it to actually use your collected sujimons with their level making a difference in their attack power. That is really cool and very satisfying. Speaking of sujimon, I have played a lot of that minigame and it is very fun. They really did capture a lot of pokemon with the mode, way more than I was expecting.

I just got to Dondoko Island and oh, oh no video game, I have things to do with my life. I can't be playing this for a billion hours. As I type this, I just want to get back to whacking trash piles with my bat. Collectibles, daily checklists, bigger overall checklist, working towards 5 stars, leveling and upgrades. I know it's all Animal Crossing stuff but having it in a Like a Dragon wrapper is some hot stuff. Oh boy. I've never had much of an eye for decor and layout so I'm sure my island will look like crap but I look forward to spending a lot of time there regardless.

The substories are really strong. I think I mentioned before that there was a lot substories that had gameplay that wasn't combat related which still seems to be true. Dodging oncoming traffic for a film stunt isn't a minigame but it's a unique thing that gives the substory a lot of character and makes it memorable. I'm not sure if this game is gonna beat Y5 for the amazing breadth of side content but it's doing a pretty dang good job.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The gender locked jobs are somewhat disappointing considering that Id have loved a few more jobs for the ladies. They should even let either gender use all of them, or gimme or jobs to use as the ladies. House Keeper is a pretty great job though, I ended up using that one loads as it really fleshes itself out nicely at higher levels + a decent higher powered weapon. Tennis Ace is terrific as well.

And dont worry, I have no design taste what so ever but the island stuff can still be tons of fun. I just load my phone up with a new playlist and whittle away the hours by ticking things off on the suggestion box (completion list). Its really fun, and super relaxing. Like a vacation inside a virtua vacation.

Ive done most of the side stories now, only have a couple to tick off, but the quality of the side stories hold up great throughout the entire game. Id argue its one of the strongest aspects of the game. There's a couple of bits which could feel a little too predictable, but there's some amazing laugh out loud funny bits as well. Oh, and then there's the whole "make it snow in Hawaii" side story, which had no business going in as hard as it did - its easily the best side story in the game (at least on Ichiban's side), and one of the best in the series.

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
After finishing Like a Dragon Ishin I'm on to Gaiden now. And wow, did not expect this level of padding. Yakuza games tend to have it, especially when tutorializing side content initially but I didn't realize how they would literally put the story on hold multiple times to make me do the Castle Coliseum fights and Akame network substories.

Even though I'm used to it, it's a bit much here

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely get the complaint over padding in Gaiden - its as Wizdog said - game does literally stop to have you do that stuff. Thing is I feel that isnt toooooooooo different to past games where you have Kiwami 2 stopping at a couple of points for its side content, 8 does it TONS with its side stuff, 7 has a few points but those honestly feel a little better integrated with Ichiban's current situation and so on.

Basically I feel after Yakuza 2 the whole padding stuff got worse, especially from 4 and up. But you can definitely notice it in Gaiden. Now, I dont mind at all because I was chomping at the bit to get to that stuff in Gaiden, but yeah I get why some may not like it.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like with Gaiden they had story content for only a few hours but had to extend the game with all the side activities and thus forced you to do some of that when the story came to a halt. I didn't mind too much, because I wanted to do all the side content anyway, but it definitely ruined the pacing for some more intense momente. It didn't feel as smoothly integrated as in other games when they do that.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well we know Gaiden was basically gonna be a 30 minute or so flashback in 8 originally, but RGGS say dollar signs and made it its own game instead. I reckon its the same reason that Kiryu in 8 and Kiryu in Gaiden moves list wise couldnt be any less similar (since Agent Style is completely missing - should have been a unique class for Kiryu...)

But I cant be mad at Gaiden. Between the combat, arena, long fights and the final chapter/ending, I still think its worth a play through, and unlike 8, even with the padding its a pretty short experience for people not wanting to put 10s of hours into the game (unless your me and put just shy of 100 hours into it!)