• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Me too! The game feels a bit stiff nowadays, but I've been replaying it on and off of late, and more works than doesn't.

I'm really happy with Yamaoka's work on The Medium, as far as it hitting those Silent Hill vibes, so I'm good whatever the truth behind these rumors ends up being.

And frankly, until a new Silent Hill game is *out* I'm not investing anything in it. Cause Silent Hills was a real project too.

Ehhhhhhhh...Silent Hills didn't really ever start active development.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
6SebJ6L.jpg

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Ah, I think I have seen those, but forgot all about it. Thanks.

Me too! The game feels a bit stiff nowadays, but I've been replaying it on and off of late, and more works than doesn't.

I'm really happy with Yamaoka's work on The Medium, as far as it hitting those Silent Hill vibes, so I'm good whatever the truth behind these rumors ends up being.

And frankly, until a new Silent Hill game is *out* I'm not investing anything in it. Cause Silent Hills was a real project too.

It wasn't, really. I mean, on paper, it was greenlit, but Junji Ito revealed that despite being a concept artist on the project, he never submitted a single piece of art and didn't even know the project was canceled until it was officially announced. There's no indication more work went into it beside what he saw in PT and that pitch trailer that they showed at a GDC, I think. I guess it depends on what you consider 'real,' I guess.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but in different ways. Dusk has said that he allegedly knows a Silent Hill game is in production to some degree. Khatarsis has said there was a Silent Hill 'reboot' that is being fully developed and funded by Sony and the 'former Team Silent.' So one of those can be true without the other, so you guys are fundamentally talking about two different things. I don't blame you for confusing the two, however, Dusk often weighed in on that when the rumors were the hottest and said he found Khatarsis reliable even if he wouldn't commit to saying he believed that part of the rumor and muddied the waters of the discourse a lot back then.

For what it's worth, Khatarsis has also been saying that Sony is going to fund and develop multiple MGS remakes done by Bluepoint as well. And who knows, maybe that is all true as well, but if you're really attached to the Sony aspect of that rumor, I would still keep expectations in check even as a believer or whatever.

I honestly have no idea if Akira Yamaoka is part of the project or not though, that was from Karthasis, but I hope so.

I'm excited for anything Akira Yamaoka, though.

Well

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't, really. I mean, on paper, it was greenlit, but Junji Ito revealed that despite being a concept artist on the project, he never submitted a single piece of art and didn't even know the project was canceled until it was officially announced. There's no indication more work went into it beside what he saw in PT and that pitch trailer that they showed at a GDC, I think. I guess it depends on what you consider 'real,' I guess.

My read on the situation is that Silent Hills was basically Kojima's last desperate gambit within Konami. He roped together commitments from a bunch of famous folks despite Konami already being super mad at him for MGSV and other things, and PT was his attempt to effectively nudge Konami into moving forward with a project they weren't sure about.

The demo got a surprising amount of buzz, but it wasn't enough to cajole Konami into committing to the project (given Kojima's penchant for going over-budget and past-deadline) and things fell apart and the rest is history.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it konami that wanted kojima to work on a new silent hill?

Maybe at some point in history, but by the time PT was announced, I sincerely doubt that. Kojima was already on the outs with management by then. I can't imagine the same folks who basically moved him to an empty floor away from his team out of spite were like 'yeah here take another one of our IPs and do whatever you want with it".

Oct 29, 2017
Oh dear, what do we have here? Another Silent Hill rumor, I fear.

#lolItWillBeAnythingButSilentHillJustWatchlol 😞 😨

#lolcenawinslol regardless 🤢

#ShadowsoftheDamned2?

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

I'll still stay on this train until the very end, but goddamn it the false hope hurts a bit every time.

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, it could be? They released SH4 on GOG, and recently did crossovers with Dead By Daylight and Dark Deception. And Masahiro Ito only said that the project he was working on wasn't Silent Hill. That doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't a Silent Hill project in development. It might not even be an in-house project.

Some have interpreted the context of those tweets to mean his previous projects were cancelled over the years, and weren't Silent Hill. Remember that English isn't M. Ito's first language. Jury's still out as to whether he also meant his most recent game, though.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Is Shadows of the Damned a ''people may have been hoping to hear about'' situation?
Like I really can't see he referring to anything other than SH or Bokeh's project.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Elder Ring.

These pasts months have been a rollercoaster for Sillent Hills fans.

Jun 13, 2020
Just a reminder that Sony doesn't give a shit about their Japanese division. The rumor about former Team Silent members working on a new Silent Hill doesn't seem very likely when the creator of Silent Hill has recently left Sony.