• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
"What about Dreams and RDR2", says people clearly pointing out to all the times R* asked for money to fund RDR2 by making exclusive sales and events to people who already spent thousands on GTAV Online, and all the times Media Molecule released a paid alpha with only one of the promised features in Dreams working while selling new brushes for over five hundred dollars.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
"What about Dreams and RDR2", says people clearly pointing out to all the times R* asked for money to fund RDR2 by making exclusive sales and events to people who already spent thousands on GTAV Online, and all the times Media Molecule released a paid alpha with only one of the promised features in Dreams working while selling new brushes for over five hundred dollars.

Didn't you go to $300 dinner on a saloon just so you could have the chance to buy your very own Marwari horse for an extra $700?

Dec 8, 2018
Why do you need to catch up? Its not like your playing Battlefield 5 or something. You don't have to bother with others like in real lfe you don't have to. I mean you can do your own things, professions and stuff. Yes i'm comparing it with real life but that's the same...no need to catch up. Just mind your own business or together with an Org.

Lol just like in real life. This is a game ffs.

Thing is in battlefield v you can jump into any tank or any plane and be competitive at whatever you want even against people at the highest lvl as a rank 1 the only catch up mechanic is if one team is severely behind they capture flags easier.

You can also spend money on skins and other visual stuff but regardless if you do or not it won't bring you any advantage against the ones that don't.

If I want to be a pirate in SC without spending any money except on the game when it launches and get into a dogfight with another pirate in a several hundreds of dollar ship will I be able to compete if we got the same skills?

Same question can be said for all professions.

I mean you yourself have said you spend 6000 dollars on this game already you seriously think you and everyone like you won't have an extreme advantage in the beginning and probably the entirety of the game.

Just like in real life however this game will skew severally towards those that spend a lot of money. Sure you can still do the same things but just like taking a Ford Fiesta to Nürburgring you won't expect to even remotely compete with someone with equal skill in a Ferrari.

The only question is for how long it will take for one to get a "Ferrari" in this game and if it even is a realistic goal if you don't want to sacrifice your actual real life.

This of all games should have a catch up mechanic so that less fortunate players could have an equal chance at competing at the same level as anyone else but I bet you and all of the other concierge have no interest in that and I bet the developers have some kind of incentive to keep you guys happy.

Last edited:

GusFacsimile

Oct 25, 2017
Is Star CItizen the Fyre Fest of video games?
I think we're just waiting on official pics of the meal to confirm.

This seems like a grand experiment around sunk cost fallacy and selling a, dream, and how long you can keep exploiting it. I mean that list of 'features' of the single player is ludicrous and obviously written to kick the release can down the road. It could easily have been a second project after they released the main space sim part, but then they'd have to deliver a finished product and break the fantasy that keeps the 'whales' in the game.

There's no doubt some solid work is getting done, but tech demos 'aint a game. It's sad that there are probably backers that will have died (or will die) while waiting for this.

Dec 23, 2018
It really is amazing. The interest in this game has seemingly evaporated, the state of the alpha is dismal, the common honeymoon pattern after a patch seems to be getting smaller with each one, more and more people complaining about the state of the game post patches. There was a fucking meltdown in the community a few days ago about how they've pretty much gutted the weekly updates and feature series that people pay money via subscriptions to subsidize and a week before that people were complaining about more and more features keep getting delayed or falling out of the roadmap altogether.

This is not normal game development no matter how many times the extreme fanbase tries to rationalize it. CIG should know by now whether or not the SQ42 beta is going to be up as promised next year, they should know what the beta entails (is it a full feature/length beta? Just a few missions?). Instead they fall into the same pattern of telling people the bare minimum while waiting for their next CitCon to bare the bad news and try to soothe them with something else. Something else that becomes the narrative focus of the fanbase to stymie any legitimate criticisms that others might have.

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol just like in real life. This is a game ffs.

Thing is in battlefield v you can jump into any tank or any plane and be competitive at whatever you want even against people at the highest lvl as a rank 1 the only catch up mechanic is if one team is severely behind they capture flags easier.

You can also spend money on skins and other visual stuff but regardless if you do or not it won't bring you any advantage against the ones that don't.

If I want to be a pirate in SC without spending any money except on the game when it launches and get into a dogfight with another pirate in a several hundreds of dollar ship will I be able to compete if we got the same skills?

Same question can be said for all professions.

I mean you yourself have said you spend 6000 dollars on this game already you seriously think you and everyone like you won't have an extreme advantage in the beginning and probably the entirety of the game.

Just like in real life however this game will skew severally towards those that spend a lot of money. Sure you can still do the same things but just like taking a Ford Fiesta to Nürburgring you won't expect to even remotely compete with someone with equal skill in a Ferrari.

The only question is for how long it will take for one to get a "Ferrari" in this game and if it even is a realistic goal if you don't want to sacrifice your actual real life.

This of all games should have a catch up mechanic so that less fortunate players could have an equal chance at competing at the same level as anyone else but I bet you and all of the other concierge have no interest in that and I bet the developers have some kind of incentive to keep you guys happy.

It will never be fair even if you join the game years after. Nobody will be at the same level. People can join Orgs and don't need to have their own big ships they can't even run because they don't have the money ingame. even large Org with big Capitals can't even do those things from the start. You can make money together and still purchase your dream ship ingame or just start with just hauling cargo and have some people who can protect you.

The community and the Org are really helpful to those people so in the end...they will be fine.

It really is amazing. The interest in this game has seemingly evaporated, the state of the alpha is dismal, the common honeymoon pattern after a patch seems to be getting smaller with each one, more and more people complaining about the state of the game post patches. There was a fucking meltdown in the community a few days ago about how they've pretty much gutted the weekly updates and feature series that people pay money via subscriptions to subsidize and a week before that people were complaining about more and more features keep getting delayed or falling out of the roadmap altogether.

This is not normal game development no matter how many times the extreme fanbase tries to rationalize it. CIG should know by now whether or not the SQ42 beta is going to be up as promised next year, they should know what the beta entails (is it a full feature/length beta? Just a few missions?). Instead they fall into the same pattern of telling people the bare minimum while waiting for their next CitCon to bare the bad news and try to soothe them with something else. Something else that becomes the narrative focus of the fanbase to stymie any legitimate criticisms that others might have.

Wow...people complaining, "news at 11". I see people complaining about a lot of games here on Era so whats new? Eve Online players complaining, Elite Dangerous players are complaining.

Heck even people in this thread are complaining about something they don't know shit about or not even interested in, in the first place. Did you see the CP 2077 downgrade topic? people are already complaining. What is normal game development? If you ignore the concept sales and everything around it to fund the game...yes, this is normal game development.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018
I spent 5k. Do not regret a thing. Yet I can't get myself to buy a 2080ti. Maybe cause I find star citizen to be less of a scam lmfao

You could have been buying top tier GPUs every other year over the course of 6-8 years and still have spent less than in SC while that game isn't even close to release. I'm sure some of the big ticket ships you might have bought are still in development hell to this day.

But sure, physical hardware that make the experience of most games in the market significantly better holds no candle to the dreams a picture of a ship can give you.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
At this point, I think it'd be more productive to guess what year they'll give up the ghost, and in what form it will take.

FBI raid as leads abscond to a non-extraditing country?
Going under, blaming those who sue them for refunds?
Apology letter, saying their vision was too grand?
Waiting until they're "hacked", servers go down for maintenance, and they leave in the middle of the night?

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
This isn't a shitpost, genuine questions.

Didn't this game start development in 2011?
How far along is it? I remember them wanting to release a single-player campagin as well - What was it called, Squadron 42?

Asking those who are still actively supporting the game.

Paying $675 for a virtual ship though, sorry but... That's fucking insane.

That's definitely more expensive than a next-gen console.

Makes me wonder though... Will the game be ported to the Scarlett and the PS5? Surely, they'll be able to run it, no?

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a shitpost, genuine questions.

Didn't this game start development in 2011?
How far along is it? I remember them wanting to release a single-player campagin as well - What was it called, Squadron 42?

Asking those who are still actively supporting the game.

Paying $675 for a virtual ship though, sorry but... That's fucking insane.

That's definitely more expensive than a next-gen console.

Makes me wonder though... Will the game be ported to the Scarlett and the PS5? Surely, they'll be able to run it, no?
From what I've heard it's not very far along

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I spent 5k. Do not regret a thing. Yet I can't get myself to buy a 2080ti. Maybe cause I find star citizen to be less of a scam lmfao
I mean to be fair almost everyone in here is going to try to make you feel bad. The game exists and that's something that seemingly everyone doesn't understand. That this isn't just a techdemo. There's a game it's akin to an early access title that is slowly being developed.

Carlius

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I mean to be fair almost everyone in here is going to try to make you feel bad. The game exists and that's something that seemingly everyone doesn't understand. That this isn't just a techdemo. There's a game it's akin to an early access title that is slowly being developed.
Let them hate. Nothing new tbh . I love the game.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Yeah I only now have a PC that can run it, and I'm having a lot of fun playing the game with friends. Tho the 2080Ti is legit not worth the cash if Nvidia comes out with their Super series and the cards past that would probably be even faster.

Captain_Raoul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Every thread about SC is the same echo I hear from people. They have nothing new to discuss, The same words they throwing around, Scam, cult etc..

But those same people spending a lot of time watching concern-trolling videos..As if they don't realize, they're creating a cult of their own.

They hating cult.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018
It will never be fair even if you join the game years after. Nobody will be at the same level. People can join Orgs and don't need to have their own big ships they can't even run because they don't have the money ingame. even large Org with big Capitals can't even do those things from the start. You can make money together and still purchase your dream ship ingame or just start with just hauling cargo and have some people who can protect you.

The community and the Org are really helpful to those people so in the end...they will be fine.

Yes this game will NEVER be fair that is the best words you said in this whole thread. And the funny thing is you actually believe that people like you who spend thousands of dollars won't use those ships. Maybe you might not and you are just a collector of ships or something with your money but I bet most people with similar spendings as you have will spend hundreds and thousand of dollars more on in game currency to use their ships as soon as the game actually launch since that is an option already before the game even have.

The sad part is you also believe lots of "poor" people will join big orgs to slave on 650$ ships to earn money. I bet 1% of the population would even consider that an option and the rest look for another way of procuring money. The only ones who will play like that are people that already own those ships and takes turn being captain of the ship. The RP community of slaves I bet is pretty small unless the game itself highly incentivize that you do and then the game developers are straight evil. But I would not put it pass them to get the whales happy since that have been the only strategy of this game since 2012.

And hiring people to protect you while you go on a cargo run.... Did you play on the RP servers on WoW for to long or something. Like what would happen? A game where the planets are actually planet sized and you can jump through space? The possibility of encountering anyone must be astronomical low even if the servers actually one day allows for more than 5 people close to each other without it going haywire.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I mean they are actually developing stuff and adding content at a decent lick. Yes, the content they add is mostly jank city, and the rate of improvement of that jank is glacial. Morality aside, they really need to stop using expensive ships with novel gameplay systems to hook the whales. There's a massive backlog of those systems to be added to the game, and they've got a mile to go on a number of gameplay loops which would be considered core. On the novel systems they come up janked up and fester, but RSI keep adding more and more to the list.

The entire thing is a terrible example of scope creep and dire project management. I'm still not a fan of the core flight model, it plays alright but it's nowhere near best in class.

OP
OP
Noodle

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Wow...people complaining, "news at 11". I see people complaining about a lot of games here on Era so whats new? Eve Online players complaining, Elite Dangerous players are complaining.

Heck even people in this thread are complaining about something they don't know shit about or not even interested in, in the first place. Did you see the CP 2077 downgrade topic? people are already complaining. What is normal game development? If you ignore the concept sales and everything around it to fund the game...yes, this is normal game development.

"No complaints about anything are valid ever because people complain about everything" is certainly a take. And all just to rationalise criticisms of one game.

Every thread about SC is the same echo I hear from people. They have nothing new to discuss, The same words they throw around, Scam, cult etc..

But those same people spending a lot of time watching concern-trolling videos..As if they don't realize, they're creating a cult of their own.

They hating cult.

Company continues practices it has been criticised in the past for => "why don't you ever say anything new?"

Captain_Raoul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes this game will NEVER be fair that is the best words you said in this whole thread. And the funny thing is you actually believe that people like you who spend thousands of dollars won't use those ships. Maybe you might not and you are just a collector of ships or something with your money but I bet most people with similar spendings as you have will spend hundreds and thousand of dollars more on in game currency to use their ships as soon as the game actually launch since that is an option already before the game even have.

The sad part is you also believe lots of "poor" people will join big orgs to slave on 650$ ships to earn money. I bet 1% of the population would even consider that an option and the rest look for another way of procuring money. The only ones who will play like that are people that already own those ships and takes turn being captain of the ship. The RP community of slaves I bet is pretty small unless the game itself highly incentivize that you do and then the game developers are straight evil. But I would not put it pass them to get the whales happy since that have been the only strategy of this game since 2012.

And hiring people to protect you while you go on a cargo run.... Did you play on the RP servers on WoW for to long or something. Like what would happen? A game where the planets are actually planet sized and you can jump through space? The possibility of encountering anyone must be astronomical low even if the servers actually one day allows for more than 5 people close to each other without it going haywire.

I do not have any big capital ships other then the Orion (mining ship almost 300meters long). The only Capital ship i will have is the Javelin and that's also the most expensive ship in the game atm. But i will have it for free with the referral program (500 recruits away from it). I only own small, medium and a few large ships right now and i only have the ships with specific gameplay i'm interested in.

You clearly have no idea what your talking about and how this community is with new backers. I have never said that people won't use those ships it's just you can't do everything with you capital you want because the running cost, crew, supplying, hire AI crew for yours ship will be expensive. Again..this game is not really about PvP but more PvE. There will always be more A.I in the universe then players in the end, or did you think Star Citizen only had real players?

Noodle I mean, what was your reason to make this thread?
You were bored and thought of "let's see how people react to this"...as if you didn't know about it beforehand.

Or did you need attention?

Oct 25, 2017
I do not have any big capital ships other then the Orion (mining ship almost 300meters long). The only Capital ship i will have is the Javelin and that's also the most expensive ship in the game atm. But i will have it for free with the referral program (500 recruits away from it). I only own small, medium and a few large ships right now and i only have the ships with specific gameplay i'm interested in.

You clearly have no idea what your talking about and how this community is with new backers. I have never said that people won't use those ships it's just you can't do everything with you capital you want because the running cost, crew, supplying, hire AI crew for yours ship will be expensive. Again..this game is not really about PvP but more PvE. There will always be more A.I in the universe then players in the end, or did you think Star Citizen only had real players?

Noodle I mean, what was your reason to make this thread?
You were bored and thought of "let's see how people react to this"...as if you didn't know about it beforehand.

Or did you need attention?
First rule of Concierge Club, don't tell the space plebes about Concierge Club.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ah yes, "I only have to recruit a few more members and I'll be double-plus platinum."

5ZLm1p1.gif

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Every time I see these gifs and vids saying its amazing and groundbreaking and it's like....being pretty isn't the same as being an actual game, being pretty is a tech demo. I remember the original Metal Gear Rising and how amazing everyone said it looked until it turned out it wasn't much more than a tech demo and Kojima had to get Platinum to make an actual game, and the original MGR had 10x more substance than anything I keep seeing from SC.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
The problem is that they're actually delivering some incredible feats never before seen in gaming and have been pretty up front about everything.

WellgroomedKnobbyAxisdeer-size_restricted.gif

HelpfulRedArabianwildcat-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif
People love ignoring the fact that it's actually playable right now and that it's underlying tech is already far, far beyond anything else on the market, it's easier to just say "Oh it's not even a game yet, sad!" rather than trying it out during a freeflight and seeing for themselves that the monumental scale of what's playable today is completely unprecedented in games.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

This reminds me of Camelot Unchained, a game I backed thats also been in dev forever. At this point you don't have a choice but to let people show some hate. Its deserved after a certain point. People are not out of line by poking fun at games approaching a decade in development while still taking money along the way. Feature creep or not.

Doesn't mean it wont eventually turn out a release. Just saying... Sometimes criticism is warranted.

Dec 23, 2018
For every "Oh just look how pretty this game is " gif you can find one where the players are clipping through the ground, propelling themselves in space with their nipples, NPCs lounging in the air or running in a corner, players looking like something out of Junji Ito and just random glitches that I just cant comprehend where a QA team is going to try and isolate because everything feels like its being held by gum

https://twitter.com/Terak404/status/1165924496567623680

Yes, its alpha. Yes its been like this since 2015 and the doors are still the deadliest enemy

This was in a FFXIV GDC presentation about why 1.0 failed and how they were able to make it into one of the most miraculous turn around in the gaming industry.

How-Final-Fantasy-XIV-A-Realm-Reborn-Miraculously-Recovered-From-a-Catastrophic-Launch-438366-3.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
For every "Oh just look how pretty this game is " gif you can find one where the players are clipping through the ground, propelling themselves in space with their nipples, NPCs lounging in the air or running in a corner, players looking like something out of Junji Ito and just random glitches that I just cant comprehend where a QA team is going to try and isolate because everything feels like its being held by gum

https://twitter.com/Terak404/status/1165924496567623680

Yes, its alpha. Yes its been like this since 2015 and the doors are still the deadliest enemy

This was in a FFXIV GDC presentation about why 1.0 failed and how they were able to make it into one of the most miraculous turn around in the gaming industry.

How-Final-Fantasy-XIV-A-Realm-Reborn-Miraculously-Recovered-From-a-Catastrophic-Launch-438366-3.jpg
All very accurate. Also, rose colored glasses are always in style.

Dec 8, 2018
Every thread about SC is the same echo I hear from people. They have nothing new to discuss, The same words they throwing around, Scam, cult etc..

Perhaps because the only worthwhile news worth discussing coming from this game is these kinds of news of predatory, shady funding schemes. If people were impressed by the development of the game that would be discussed but as years go by less and less (wonder why more or less all those have a lot of dollar invested) outside of select few now even care to defend even the

Are you stealth bragging or what are you replying to? I never asked about what 300m or whatever else ship you own? And to have it for free you only need to recruit FIVE HUNDRED more??? First off I don't even want to know how many more you already recruited and once again is this some kind of bragging I don't get since spending so much time on this you have another concept of free than most I would wager since time certainly is not.

And you said people and even big orgs would not be able to use those capital ships from the start but now they can so what is it?

And I know the game will include AI and the only question is how big of a impact they will actually have when the game launches. I guess it depends on how much money people like you and the big players who are deeply invested in the game will keep pouring into the economy and the recruitment of them to pilot their thousand dollar ships when no many of the real players are interested and how hard it will be once again for non p2w players to be able to hire them because of it. Once again I think I know who the developers will cater and target and where the can gather money in the kind of predatory ways they currently are.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Every time I see these gifs and vids saying its amazing and groundbreaking and it's like....being pretty isn't the same as being an actual game, being pretty is a tech demo. I remember the original Metal Gear Rising and how amazing everyone said it looked until it turned out it wasn't much more than a tech demo and Kojima had to get Platinum to make an actual game, and the original MGR had 10x more substance than anything I keep seeing from SC.
Well one, the core of SC is that of a space simulator, It's dogfighting gameplay certainly has more substance to it than an action adventure hack and slash (I love MGR myself) but the comparison is ludicrous, it's like comparing an pick up and play game like an Ace Combat to DCS or any legitimate plane sim where it takes serious time/commitment to grasp the depth of the flight model as if it's a meaningful comparison, but hey, I'm talking to someone who can gauge gameplay depth from gifs, so this is probably falling on deaf ears.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
The problem is that they're actually delivering some incredible feats never before seen in gaming and have been pretty up front about everything.

giphy.gif
Can we play this or just watch it? I honestly don't know if these gifs are already playable on alpha, but if they aren't than I wouldn't count that as "delivered"

Dec 8, 2018
People love ignoring the fact that it's actually playable right now and that it's underlying tech is already far, far beyond anything else on the market, it's easier to just say "Oh it's not even a game yet, sad!" rather than trying it out during a freeflight and seeing for themselves that the monumental scale of what's playable today is completely unprecedented in games.

Imagine if people realized it's nothing but empty space and you have as much fun interacting with those cities as you have a rock in the dessert and it provides as much when it comes to gameplay as a skybox.

Oct 25, 2017
This.
It's all window dressing.
Spin it as scenic sandbox, where the only limit is your imagination. I am looking forward to the game getting to the point where only whales play it and have their empty fleets and instead have to spend real money hiring gamer labourers to staff their ships. The whale gig economy. Uber drivers will need somewhere to turn in five or so years when vehicle automation hits.

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The referral program is even more sinister lol. Want the biggest ship in the game? Get hundreds of people into the game. So I guess all the community leaders and content creators are doing it for the sweet sweet super star destroyer.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda gives you the impression it's all a pyramid scheme now where they're having to sell new ships to pay for the old ships they sold but have run out of money to actually make. Except they're going back to old investors for money rather than new! Now they know who the real whales are who have more money than sense, or have serious self control issues, they're gonna milk them for all they got.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Can we play this or just watch it? I honestly don't know if these gifs are already playable on alpha, but if they aren't than I wouldn't count that as "delivered"
Yeah this is in game footage. I have seen these areas from my laptop in game. There are absolutely jaw dropping moments in the game. Don't get me wrong, it's very alpha and has bare bones gameplay loops, plus your progress resets at every update. Also people need to be reminded that ALL ships will be buy-able with in game currency. But during this alpha stage it's kinda wasteful to earn the money then lose it at next patch so if you want a ship forever (through all alpha stages) you have to buy it with real money. Once they go live permanently lots of people will start playing way more.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017

giphy.gif

Huh? Am I supposed to be impressed? Yeah, the graphics are good. But that's all background, not unique interactive environments.

LOL can't believe there is a referral program too! Becomes even scammier as a MLM.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
"very alpha" is a nice way of putting it.

In the exact same amount of time, Neversoft released every single one of their Tony Hawk Pro Skater games.

The entire series. THPS1 to Proving Ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.