• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2018
I wont even get into the details of other stuff you posted as you do not realize the difference between skin or animation and full functioning multicrew ship and difference in value. In PoE standing animations cost 50$.
But the point about P2W is really uninformed. You can buy legally ISK in EVE Online almost for 7 years now and even though you think you are going power, you are not, you are skipping earning currency, but because this is sandbox game you can lose it in seconds. Its not WoW where you buy item and its forever with you or buy levels, you can easily lose the stuff you get and thats why its not P2W, because even you buy something for 600$, you can lose to some organized people in starting ships, thats why there is a difference between sandbox games and theme park games and why having a lot of money does not matter that much.

If someone pays 50 dollars for an emote in PoE I would call them stupid. I already been through this. One game having idiotic monetization and offering ridiculous virtual items does not mean I think another one with even more predatory monetizing is not worth calling out for it.

And yeah WOW multi crew ships they are like yacht in space with guns! Easily worth 27000 dollars a total steal right.... Wait I forgot most of them are just jpegs at this point and not even close of making it into the game... Still total fucking steal right there

Seriously it's nothing 650$+ impressive I have watched several of the marketing pieces of these things and just shake my head and when they are not even realized that is just beyond idiotic.

Tell me does these 650$ ships and similar don't come with insurance?

Tell me will a person playing with the starter fighter have any chance against someone with a 500$ fighter if they are equally skilled when the game launches?

You and I both know the answer to those question I bet but let's see how you try to spin them.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
I dont trust Roberts or CIG to give me accurate intel at this time. I have played this game before with them, where everything is just around the corner....
then don't?
I expect that the sq42 beta will be delayed at least 1 quarter. But i don't care if i get a great singleplayer space sim (and the vertical slice and sq42 Trailer last year was proof that it will be great)

If someone pays 50 dollars for an emote in PoE I would call them stupid. I already been through this. One game having idiotic monetization and offering ridiculous virtual items does not mean I think another one with even more predatory monetizing is not worth calling out for it.

And yeah WOW multi crew ships they are like yacht in space with guns! Easily worth 27000 dollars a total steal right.... Wait I forgot most of them are just jpegs at this point and not even close of making it into the game... Still total fucking steal right there

Seriously it's nothing 650$+ impressive I have watched several of the marketing pieces of these things and just shake my head and when they are not even realized that is just beyond idiotic.

Tell me does these 650$ ships and similar don't come with insurance?

Tell me will a person playing with the starter fighter have any chance against someone with a 500$ fighter if they are equally skilled when the game launches?

You and I both know the answer to those question I bet but let's see how you try to spin them.

you know that you don't need to buy the 27k bundle (or heck even a 100$ ship) to fly it ingame later (or now)? You just have to earn it ingame, like freelancer, like rebel galaxy outlaw or X or almost every other space sim out there.

Jul 17, 2018
Do you know many other game developers (especially aaa games) with this open game development?

Yes, most kickstarted games and some Early Access ones. And some self-funded ones, like Defender's Quest 2 or Treasure Adventure World which had (and have) really detailed and well updated feature trackers.

If you want examples of AAA with open development you must first direct me to other crowdfunded AAA games.

it's likey inside star citizen material (you know, this weekly show they made) or will be in one of the studio updates. (or they won't post it yet, because they aren't sure that ssocs will be delayed and it will be only an update in the roadmap, who knows?)

'it's likely', 'who knows?'
lmao, open development

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read that they need SSOC is required for Squadron 42. Does this mean you have to be online to play, or did I misread something.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, most kickstarted games and some Early Access ones. And some self-funded ones, like Defender's Quest 2 or Treasure Adventure World which had (and have) really detailed and well updated feature trackers.
"most kickstarted games" . lmao now i heard it all. The "most kickstarted" games have mabye 1 update in 1 month maybe even less. (or they sell their soul to a publisher like shenmue)
If you want examples of AAA with open development you must first direct me to other crowdfunded AAA games.
Why? SC and SQ42 are aaa games. Like the EA or Ubisoft titles. Are they that open? No? Yeah i know.

'it's likely', 'who knows?'
lmao, open development
so you now want news for an topic when even the developers haven't discussed it/aren't sure if it will make?
Read that they need SSOC is required for Squadron 42. Does this mean you have to be online to play, or did I misread something.

no, sq42 will use ssocs for local play (the player pc act as a offline server) according to chris.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, sorry, but this post is strange. No goal/milestone missed in 15 years? You are first person i've heard admitting to something like this.
I'm also in software development, just not gaming industry.
I'm not in game development but I manage critical systems that are not allowed to fail. We have hard milestones that we can't miss due to fixed calendar events.

This requieres proper planning and proper ressources management. It also takes proper assesment of the work that needs to be done, proper evaluations of the days-person requiered to achieve said tasks and planning everyone's work around it

This is why the pre-production phase is critical and reading people dismiss it as "not beeing development" are not only thoroughly wrong, they illustrate what's so wrong in many aspects of software development (and not only games development).

If you have to cut features late in production, it's because you either poorly evualuated the amount of work they would necessitate (this happens regularly, it's often my team's job to make sure we find a solution to implement them, which means beeing creative) or the technical hurdles to achieve them where not forseen during the preproduction phase (which is completely fine, it happens, no one is a seer and can see into the future which problems will arise).

A projject starts the minute people start talking about it, and that first step is the most important one of all.

Dec 8, 2018
then don't?
I expect that the sq42 beta will be delayed at least 1 quarter. But i don't care if i get a great singleplayer space sim (and the vertical slice and sq42 Trailer last year was proof that it will be great)

you know that you don't need to buy the 27k bundle (or heck even a 100$ ship) to fly it ingame later (or now)? You just have to earn it ingame, like freelancer, like rebel galaxy outlaw or X or almost every other space sim out there.

Yes I know we will see however how much time farming something like a 650$ ship will actually take when the game launches. Going by how the developers are and have always since the kickstarter targeted their big spenders to fund them to in order to keep them buying their next expensive ship using $ I don't think for one second they will be even remotely "easy" to obtain using the in game currency.

Dec 8, 2018
Why? SC and SQ42 are aaa games. Like the EA or Ubisoft titles. Are they that open? No? Yeah i know.

SC is crowdfunded I bet you know that means many people have contributed big and small to the development of the game hence some might argue they are entitled to know how that money they given the developer to build the game they funded are being used and how the development is going.

EA pays for their own games. Why would they feel the need to share the same information as crowdfunded games.

Do you understand?

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not in game development but I manage critical systems that are not allowed to fail. We have hard milestones that we can't miss due to fixed calendar events.

This requieres proper planning and proper ressources management. It also takes proper assesment of the work that needs to be done, proper evaluations of the days-person requiered to achieve said tasks and planning everyone's work around it

This is why the pre-production phase is critical and reading people dismiss it as "not beeing development" are not only thoroughly wrong, they illustrate what's so wrong in many aspects of software development (and not only games development).

If you have to cut features late in production, it's because you either poorly evualuated the amount of work they would necessitate (this happens regularly, it's often my team's job to make sure we find a solution to implement them, which means beeing creative) or the technical hurdles to achieve them where not forseen during the preproduction phase (which is completely fine, it happens, no one is a seer and can see into the future which problems will arise).

A projject starts the minute people start talking about it, and that first step is the most important one of all.

As a PMP myself, you are bang on in your assessment. The most important phase is the planning phase, and the creation of a scope that all primary stakeholders sign off on is key. Any changes to the scope require the recalculation of all sorts of baselines and timetables.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
SC is crowdfunded I bet you know that means many people have contributed big and small to the development of the game hence some might argue they are entitled to know how that money they given the developer to build the game they funded are being used and how the development is going.

EA pays for their own games. Why would they feel the need to share the same information as crowdfunded games.

Do you understand?

so you agree that there is no other aaa game like star citizen that is so open in development? That is good to hear.

And which kickstarter game is as open as star citizen? (and I mean weekly shows, weekly interviews, weekly roadmap updates, monthly reports and so on and not only a blog/forum post/newsletter every once in a while)

Dec 8, 2018
so you agree that there is no other aaa game like star citizen that is so open in development? That is good to hear.

And which kickstarter game is as open as star citizen? (and I mean weekly shows, weekly interviews, weekly roadmap updates, monthly reports and so on and not only a blog/forum post/newsletter every once in a while)

Because there is NO OTHER AAA CROWDFUNDED GAME and why would anyone else share it or for that matter feel entitled to it?

And who would demand the same amount of information out of any other kickstarter games?

First the amount of projects that got even a hundred of the 280 million SC got could probably be counted on one or two hands and do you think their backers actually would want them to spend large amounts of money and time on video shows and interviews or prefer they pour that into the creation of the game instead when they are both limited.

Second the YouTube channel is only pure marketing and it's not like someone is putting anyone of the developers in the spotlight asking hard questions like why they still not are even close to a squadron 42 release date. Asking Chris Roberts if he actually believes he is good at management. It's all sunshine and rainbows or advertisement for the latest purchasable item through and through.

And for the roadmap in this case the only thing how open they been with it is to show how worthless Chris Roberts is at management.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017

I understand that there can be projects that stick to the schedule day by day, but this is extremely rare and require full team and business people to cooperate, but in 15 years practice, which probably your whole career, being only on projects like that is kinda for me questionable :) Maybe you were extremely lucky, but 99.9% (and i'm not overestimating here) have schedule/planning problems due to many reasons, but mostly just not being able to estimate stuff right and cover it with workers.
Hell even a sudden illness/leave of one of coworkers can put your schedule into the risk and you cannot do anything about it, and thats without mentioning that tech that supposed to work doesnt work and you need to rewrite it etc.
---

And for the roadmap in this case the only thing how open they been with it is to show how worthless Chris Roberts is at management.
What? They are pretty good at sticking to the roadmap and finishing the tasks. I would be in heaven if on my previous development project we were that accurate.
And we were only like 20 developers, not 500 in 3 different time zones which complicates everything.

--
You didn't have to :') lol. So this is why this thread is still a thing. It's SC so shit on anybody and everything is ok.

Good to see the mods don't have to be taken seriously here.
Seriously, he got 5 days ban for that? I mean the whole thread is just fake controversy (should have SHOCKING NEWS title even) as this is standard practice within an industry and it should be closed ages ago, as right now what can be read is mostly trolling and counter-trolling posts.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Concierge-Event-Menu.png

I know the menu seems pretty basic for the price, but you should see the meals roadmap

There is gonna be gold plated pizza, the kind of pizza we don't even have the tech to make you, it's still in development

Please make a donation to fund this amazing pizza

Dec 23, 2018
The issue isn't that a game cant have delays or missed goals in a project. The issue is that SC has CONSTANTLY been delayed with missed goals happening in just about every milestone. This is what makes it abnormal. You dont see a whole lot of games meander for 6+ years in alpha where not a single thing in it can be considered finalized or close to being finalized.

CIG basically restarts the clock at every citcon radically altering their schedule. When the new schedule is delivered thing inevitably start falling behind again. It might look like object container streaming or whatever is only a patch or two behind in the new schedule but they've been talking about it for 4 years like something that was just around the corner.

Just about every problem that the game has had stems from one simple thing. Its monetization. The thing thats kept CIG alive is the same thing that has prevented it from making a functional game. To be able to continue the games production they have to incentivize people to buy into the game. The problem is that to do so they have to oversell functions for the game first before before being even close to committing them into reality. This creates a type of technical debt, as you've now charged people for content and features that need to be integrated into the game, and since you still haven't developed some of the previous features, you have no idea how they will interact with each other. This can be catastrophic.

Take for instance, base building. The dream sold 2 years ago with land claims and a ship just to build those bases. How close is it to reality? How will these structures even work on a game thats instanced? How will effect performance on a game that already starts to feel instance wide strain when too many players or objects are dumped into it? Will the doors kill me like the my ships occasionally do? Will my base decide one day to become a space ship and just rocket off into the sun? Do I have to be present for that to happen? The last few might sound stupid, but they are entirely possible to happen given how things behave in SC right now.

This very mine ship that they hawked during the dinner. How are mines going to even work in a game that has this much empty space? Apparently they are automatically guided? What makes them different from missiles then? Do they stay there indefinitely? Will they disappear the moment I log off? We've already established that this game does NOT like objects overloading the instance. Can they friendly fire?

These are all technical issues that should be dealt with BEFORE the product is released, from the bottom up. Instead CIG has a top bottom game development, they sell you the product first and then try to cudgel it into existence. And then things start buckling from the effects of the spaghetti code

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Star Citizen saga at some point ends like this:

I would be. They'll be flying with no cash. For anyone following of even with rudimentary knowledge. It's easy to see that they have many studios, a large staff and have been diligently working. It's just an undertaking like no other title has ever done and they have massive scope creep. The tech isn't a joke. It may well fail. But what they have created so far is no joke.

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that there can be projects that stick to the schedule day by day, but this is extremely rare and require full team and business people to cooperate, but in 15 years practice, which probably your whole career, being only on projects like that is kinda for me questionable :) Maybe you were extremely lucky, but 99.9% (and i'm not overestimating here) have schedule/planning problems due to many reasons, but mostly just not being able to estimate stuff right and cover it with workers.
Hell even a sudden illness/leave of one of coworkers can put your schedule into the risk and you cannot do anything about it, and thats without mentioning that tech that supposed to work doesnt work and you need to rewrite it etc.
---

What? They are pretty good at sticking to the roadmap and finishing the tasks. I would be in heaven if on my previous development project we were that accurate.
And we were only like 20 developers, not 500 in 3 different time zones which complicates everything.

--

Seriously, he got 5 days ban for that? I mean the whole thread is just fake controversy (should have SHOCKING NEWS title even) as this is standard practice within an industry and it should be closed ages ago, as right now what can be read is mostly trolling and counter-trolling posts.
I'm sure you'd be shocked at the number of posts that dismiss targeting whale spenders with even more absurd ventures. FAKE CONTROVERSY. NOTHING TO SEE. NORMAL BUSINESS. Good stuff, care to sell me a spaceship? Space Madness.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018
I would be. They'll be flying with no cash. For anyone following of even with rudimentary knowledge. It's easy to see that they have many studios, a large staff and have been diligently working. It's just an undertaking like no other title has ever done and they have massive scope creep. The tech isn't a joke. It may well fail. But what they have created so far is no joke.

CIG could literally run out of liquid assets and still be worth tens or even hundreds of millions of dollar as seen by those venture capitalist pumping them for stock. And I'm sure that it wont be because of star citizen proper. They can spin off CIG into CI not G and focus entirely as a sub contractor for 3D assets for movies and such and be profitable, all because a lot of people dreamed of the BDSSE

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They'd be deep, deep in litigation. It wouldn't be so easy to just be like "oh well" bye. I understand what you're saying, and they've obviously proven they have value to a degree regardless. But I don't think they're really in a position to cut and run right now.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
I know the menu seems pretty basic for the price, but you should see the meals roadmap

There is gonna be gold plated pizza, the kind of pizza we don't even have the tech to make you, it's still in development

Please make a donation to fund this amazing pizza
Oh god this thread is amazing HAHAHA

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
e
Hell even a sudden illness/leave of one of coworkers can put your schedule into the risk and you cannot do anything about it, and thats without mentioning that tech that supposed to work doesnt work and you need to rewrite
Sorry if we have production and quality standards and we actually plan around sickdays, vacations, pregnancies and so on early instead of having to suffer the consequences of no planning or poor planning.

So no, those are taken into account when assigning tasks and milestones scopes, and on top of that we add what we call « risk mitigation » which is usually a flat 15 or 20% of our capacity to be able to react to such events on short notice.

This has absolutely nothing to do with luck a d you should tone down your thinly veiled sarcasm and straight out call us liars because well, it's obviously easier than facing the truth about the shitshow that CIG management is.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody is hating on the backers, though. People just find this whole saga unbelievable (and some find it hilarious), and then the defense force crawls out of the woodwork because they feel personally insulted by others who don't share the Fearless Leader's vision.
And then it devolves into personal attacks from both sides. But nobody starts these threads with hating on the backers.

Are you kidding? Go through this thread, you have even seen someone explicitly contradict you here. This whole Star Citizen hate-wagon went from the usual intellectual dishonesty and ignorance of game development straight through to pure, personal hate. I don't know what to tell you. It's sad and dangerous.

People who want to reason about this, who have sensible and logical arguments are always answered by goalpost-moving demagogy like yours.

Who, in your opinion, is the most shameful in this thread? Take a long, hard look at all these replies and dare fucking tell me it is the "defense force".

I'm done with all of you and I sincerely hope you have the integrity, even if you disagree with everything we have to say, to see that something is really wrong here.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you kidding? Go through this thread, you have even seen someone explicitly contradict you here. This whole Star Citizen hate-wagon went from the usual intellectual dishonesty and ignorance of game development straight through to pure, personal hate. I don't know what to tell you. It's sad and dangerous.

People who want to reason about this, who have sensible and logical arguments are always answered by goalpost-moving demagogy like yours.

Who, in your opinion, is the most shameful in this thread? Take a long, hard look at all these replies and dare fucking tell me it is the "defense force".

I'm done with all of you and I sincerely hope you have the integrity, even if you disagree with everything we have to say, to see that something is really wrong here.
That seems healthy.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was at the dinner actually, what was truly sad was just how much CR was trying to push things on us. Not the ship sales, but these supplements he was taking. He kept telling everyone who came up to him to talk to him about the game about these natural vitamins that were making him feel so much better, he said he's writing code 12 hours a day, 7 days a week to complete a physics refactor or something, that he then runs 4 hours, eats, and then goes to sleep. I kept trying to move the conversation towards progress towards milestones, community interaction, the roadmap, gameplay, etc, but every time he would rudely interrupt me to tell me that I should get these supplements, that they would transform my life and make me feel like I'm 18 again (i'm not that old in the first place), the stupid thing was that after 30m of trying to talk to him, I gave in and asked him what these supplements were called and he said he forgot and left the bottle at home. Everyone else had the same interaction with him, when we asked the other devs they were just shaking their head and saying that's what they have to live with.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like you're quite invested.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I was at the dinner actually, what was truly sad was just how much CR was trying to push things on us. Not the ship sales, but these supplements he was taking. He kept telling everyone who came up to him to talk to him about the game about these natural vitamins that were making him feel so much better, he said he's writing code 12 hours a day, 7 days a week to complete a physics refactor or something, that he then runs 4 hours, eats, and then goes to sleep. I kept trying to move the conversation towards progress towards milestones, community interaction, the roadmap, gameplay, etc, but every time he would rudely interrupt me to tell me that I should get these supplements, that they would transform my life and make me feel like I'm 18 again (i'm not that old in the first place), the stupid thing was that after 30m of trying to talk to him, I gave in and asked him what these supplements were called and he said he forgot and left the bottle at home. Everyone else had the same interaction with him, when we asked the other devs they were just shaking their head and saying that's what they have to live with.

You'e kidding right?

For critical systems you include contingencies into the planning, this is pretty much industry practice. There will always be projects that were mismanaged/provided insufficient resources where you have get cascading failures but it is not always the case.

T.Slothrop

Jan 21, 2018
It's not a scam. I actually think it's the future of AAA video game development. At first I thought it was a scam, but now I really think we can expect many more games to follow a similar trajectory.

Everyone's thinking about this the wrong way. What would be point of releasing a "game"? I think of it more as a company that's just making shit that people are obviously enjoying on some weird level.

Why do we care if someone wants to spend 600 bucks on a spaceship they can stare at in a hanger? They're getting stuff for their money, It just happens to be different from everything we expect a game company to do.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
It's not a scam. I actually think it's the future of AAA video game development. At first I thought it was a scam, but now I really think we can expect many more games to follow a similar trajectory.

Everyone's thinking about this the wrong way. What would be point of releasing a "game"? I think of it more as a company that's just making shit that people are obviously enjoying on some weird level.

Why do we care if someone wants to spend 600 bucks on a spaceship they can stare at in a hanger? They're getting stuff for their money, It just happens to be different from everything we expect a game company to do.

Not sure if sarcasm, because even though I purchased a detector five years ago it should be released any day now but could also detect lies, make waffles and constantly give me orgasm every time someone raises an eyebrow.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
What's so bizarre to me is the inherent value of the ships. How does a digital item justify being $1000?

Could another game justify that price? Like warframe selling fancy new frames maybe...

What is it about the ships in star citizen?

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
What's so bizarre to me is the inherent value of the ships. How does a digital item justify being $1000?

Could another game justify that price? Like warframe selling fancy new frames maybe...

What is it about the ships in star citizen?

not sure but the ships aren't fun to fly at all because they're taking a "realistic" approach to weight, fuel, etc.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I feel if you are paying over 3 digits the ships should come automatically with a copy of the game

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the SC True Believers may be impervious to logic and reason, but hopefully these threads serve as warnings to others who might get sucked in to all the bullshit.

Want to gamble $40 on a game that may or may not be finished in your lifetime? Be my guest (it's what I did). But why spend your time defending predatory business practices and programs/exclusive clubs designed to manipulate people?

Status
Not open for further replies.