• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Even if it is cherry picked from three different seasons, that really doesn't matter does it?

How does it tear apart the comparisons from this video?

www.youtube.com

Kimba & The Lion King - How Similar Are They? 「ジャングル大帝」と「ライオン・キング」

EDIT: I now realize I got some information wrong in this video. I was under the impression that the 1997 Jungle Emperor Leo movie, which I show a lot of clip...

There are so many glaring obvious similarities, that you cannot say with a straight mind " oh its just by accident or its because of the setting " .

OP
OP
Antoo

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Even if it is cherry picked from three different seasons, that really doesn't matter does it?

www.youtube.com

EDIT: I now realize I got some information wrong in this video. I was under the impression that the 1997 Jungle Emperor Leo movie, which I show a lot of clip...

There are so many glaring obvious similarities, that you cannot say with a straight mind " oh its just by accident or its because of the setting " .
Your right! Wait.. Kimba is actually a rip off too! DEFINITIVE PROOF RIGHT HERE!

m.youtube.com

Kimba & Simba: King of Beasts - How Similar Are They? 「ジャングル大帝」と「シンバ:百獣の王」

Kimba was created in 1950, and animated in 1965. Simba: King of Beasts came out in 1940. This is just a companion video to my main Video Essay on Kimba/Simba...

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
It's clearly wrong for Disney to officially deny nobody on the production of Lion King had ever heard of Kimba. Thing is, they did walk that back eventually.

It's entirely possible some influence and inspiration took place, on an individual level, but that doesn't make the two stories all that similar at their core.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018

www.youtube.com

Almost all of those comparisons are from the 1997 movie, which began production after TLK. The rest are minor events taken completely out of context, that are cherry picked from over 100 episodes of different shows.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Almost all of those comparisons are from the 1997 movie, which began production after TLK. The rest are minor events taken completely out of context, that are cherry picked from over 100 episodes of different shows.

Well if that is true you have a point. Even if they are cherry picked, I want to know how similar they are.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy longform breakdowns like this. Just added it to my watch later.

Edit: Don't wanna derail.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Why would you listen to someone that has a clear motive to lie? The youtuber clearly backs up everything and has actually watched all of the Kimba material, and read the manga. You have not, so why make bad faith arguments like this?

I dont know the guy and just because he watched all of it doesnt mean he has more knowledge or is more trustworthy than a producer. In this case it probably is though. I dont know, just the question why would I listen to the producer of a dub of a japanese anime is a pretty weird question to me.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Well if that is true you have a point. Even if they are cherry picked, I want to know how similar they are.
The biggest ones that they point out are a minor antagonist in Kimba being a brown lion with a scar (all natural conclusions that come from extremely common tropes), Kimba's dad being a hallucination in clouds (which doesn't even matter because, 1. the frame they choose isn't even of Kimba's dad in the clouds, it's of Kimba himself, and 2. the shows are filled to the brim with hallucination sequences), a bird being a sidekick (the two characters are completely different, not even close), hyenas being villains (again, completely different personalities), and the fact that Kimba also has a loud-mouthed small animal and a dopey large animal as friends (despite the fact that these are also extremely common tropes). Kimba also has a lot of standing on cliffs, because it is a MOTW show, and they need every episode to feel like it has a grand ending with a lot of closure.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
This also annoys me, no it isn't!! It's got a happy ending for one

Also I don't see Mufasa's ghost causing Simba to break down mentally

Claiming the happy ending as a point of contention is pretty disingenuous considering the fact that every adaption Disney did of a Grimm fairytale also sanitized them and made the endings happier.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
I dont know the guy and just because he watched all of it doesnt mean he has more knowledge or is more trustworthy than a producer. In this case it probably is though. I dont know, just the question why would I listen to the producer of a dub of a japanese anime is a pretty weird question to me.
Idk, mostly because 60s anime is infamous for being extremely unfaithful to the original work, and all of the people in Japan affiliated with the franchise agree that the similarities are natural to the setting?

OP
OP
Antoo

Antoo

May 1, 2019
There are some shots that do look similar. However, why would an animation team at Disney pour over multiple different anime series (over 100+ episodes) to find shots to use for their movie? You think an animator would look at episode 28 of the original anime where there is one shot of a character's ass exiting the frame and think this is what will make this movie great? So many of the similar shots are stuff like characters standing over a cliff, which are images that can be found throughout all media.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
There are some shots that do look similar. However, why would an animation team at Disney pour over multiple different anime series (over 100+ episodes) to find shots to use for their movie? You think an animator would look at episode 28 of the original anime where there is one shot of a character's ass exiting the frame and think this is what will make this movie great? So many of the similar shots are stuff like characters standing over a cliff, which are images that can be found throughout all media.
Yeah, this is important to note. None of the similarities are even close to integral to the Lion King. If they ripped something off, it's not like TLK's success is illegitimate.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Honestly, this is one of those debates, where both sides of the medal would do well to actually find a middle ground instead of trying to claim the absolute truth.

I grew up on Jungle Emperor Leo, both the first and second shows, as well as the Manga. There's a ton of similarities, some very surface level, others a bit deeper.

Does that mean Lion King is a ripoff? No, it doesn't. Does it mean that good portions of Lion King were inspired, among others, by one of the most popular anime series in the west for people alond the Disney Animators' general age at that time? Hell yes.

This entire dumb debate wouldn't exist, had Disney been honest about it at the time, and not tried to discount the show as well as Tezuka.

Lion King isn't a ripoff, took some inspiration from Leo, they're not the same story, they use many similar elements. "Natural to the Setting" is downplaying the level of inspiration that was taken. Ironically Leo later one upped that with the '97 movie.

It's hilarious, and no one's really "in the right" about this. Try and compromise, people.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Ofcourse not, but nobody is denying that! TLK is a great movie.
I mean, it's definitely insulting to both of the works to claim that TLK is a ripoff of Kimba. For Kimba, it means that it is only brought up in discussions regarding TLK (Tezuka's IMDB starts off with the plagiarism claims, completely downplaying the fact that he is one of the most important people to the history of anime. His son also finds it insulting that his father's work is used as a weapon in a claim that is based upon bias against a company that his father was a devotee of) and it's own unique qualities are thrown out for this plagiarism claim. For TLK, it means that it is constantly slandered through this claim, when nearly every bit of it has massive holes. Most people legitimately believe that TLK takes the entire plot of Kimba. It is ridiculousness.

Does that mean Lion King is a ripoff? No, it doesn't. Does it mean that good portions of Lion King were inspired, among others, by one of the most popular anime series in the west for people alond the Disney Animators' general age at that time? Hell yes.
It's definitely possible that animators thought of it. It was a thing that was known about. But none of the similarities are substantial, and all of the project leads have stated it wasn't ever brought up directly. Disney's lawyers were the ones that said "nobody on the team was at all aware of Kimba", and they walked that claim back quickly.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's definitely possible that animators thought of it. It was a thing that was known about. But none of the similarities are substantial, and all of the project leads have stated it wasn't ever brought up directly. Disney's lawyers were the ones that said "nobody on the team was at all aware of Kimba", and they walked that claim back quickly.

It doesn't matter how substantial they are and were. What Disney did at the time was shameful and lacked all sorts of artistic integrity.

You don't need to defend TLK, almost no one is ever going to call TLK a bad movie even if it took a lot of visual cues from elsewhere. That's how art works, especially Disney, most of their empire is built on the ideas of others.

All I'm saying is, relax. Both the ripoff faction and the defense faction. Leo and TLK can and will coexist. Trying to downplay Leo's cultural impact and importance (which you wouldn't know about if you weren't there when it aired, really) just to defend Lion King is a fool's errand and utterly reactionary.

Mar 19, 2020
Big fan of YMS' content. I always thought LK ripped off Kimba but this video really shows that's not the case. The whole section on "the simpsons did it first" was well argued and had some great points.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
It doesn't matter how substantial they are and were. What Disney did at the time was shameful and lacked all sorts of artistic integrity.

You don't need to defend TLK, almost no one is ever going to call TLK a bad movie even if it took a lot of visual cues from elsewhere. That's how art works, especially Disney, most of their empire is built on the ideas of others.

All I'm saying is, relax. Both the ripoff faction and the defense faction. Leo and TLK can and will coexist. Trying to downplay Leo's cultural impact and importance (which you wouldn't know about if you weren't there when it aired, really) just to defend Lion King is a fool's errand and utterly reactionary.
I didn't downplay it's cultural importance, and I think limiting it to "that thing the Lion King ripped off" is what is really harmful to Kimba's legacy. The similarities between the works are limited to common tropes at best, and flat out lies at worst. Tezuka's son has talked extensively about this issue and how harmful it is to see his fathers work weaponized against it's own influence. He also noted that the claims almost entirely originated from America 🤔

OP
OP
Antoo

Antoo

May 1, 2019

What visual cues are we talking about though? That famous video shared around has shots like a character looking into water when he has self-doubt. Is this something Kimba invented? Some of these shots do not even line up! It pairs the shot of Simba eating insects with Kimba eating vegetables. Except the disgust on Kimba's face is not from what he is eating. It cuts the scenes together to make it look like that. Kimba is a vegetarian who actively preaches about not eating animals. Why would he be disgusted by what he is eating? What other shots are we going off of? A stampede? Did Kimba invent this event? In Kimba the scene is played off as the side characters comedically goofing around trying to escape. In Lion King, it's an intense and visceral scene that is meant to induce tension. I guess no animated work can have a scene involving a stampede without it being ripped from Kimba.

The opening of that video is straight up pairing concept art of animals from Lion King with footage of animals from Kimba. WTF? A parent lion cleaning their cub by licking them? Real lions do not do this at all I guess.

The straight up blatant similarities such as the parallels between the Circle of Life sequence and the I Just Can't Wait to Be King sequence are from the 1997 film. Thus, if you are arguing about taking visual cues from other works, this Kimba movie is actually ripping off Lion King going by that logic.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What visual cues are we talking about though? That famous video shared around has shots like a character looking into water when he has self-doubt. Is this something Kimba invented? Some of these shots do not even line up! It pairs the shot of Simba eating insects with Kimba eating vegetables. Except the disgust on Kimba's face is not from what he is eating. It cuts the scenes together to make it look like that. Kimba is a vegetarian who actively preaches about not eating animals. Why would he be disgusted by what he is eating? What other shots are we going off of? A stampede? Did Kimba invent this event? In Kimba the scene is played off as the side characters comedically goofing around trying to escape. In Lion King, it's an intense and visceral scene that is meant to induce tension. I guess no animated work can have a scene involving a stampede without it being ripped from Kimba.

The opening of that video is straight up pairing concept art of animals from Lion King with footage of animals from Kimba. WTF? A parent lion cleaning their cub by licking them? Real lions do not do this at all I guess.

I'm not going to go into bollocks lists and comparisons because this tired old debate doesn't matter to me on that level, at all.

TLK doesn't need a defense force, and it doesn't hurt anyone to admit to similarities. I don't care for that comparison video, and I didn't even share it, why would I need to justify myself and be scrutinized on grounds of a video I got nothing to do with? I even acknowledged the '97 movie in my post and would prefer to not get strawmanned into an advocate of the comparisons in that particular video. ;)

I didn't downplay it's cultural importance, and I think limiting it to "that thing the Lion King ripped off" is what is really harmful to Kimba's legacy. The similarities between the works are limited to common tropes at best, and flat out lies at worst. Tezuka's son has talked extensively about this issue and how harmful it is to see his fathers work weaponized against it's own influence. He also noted that the claims almost entirely originated from America 🤔

I'm a bit weary on Artist sons' opinions after Brian Herbert. Sure, it works the way you frame it as well, but the difference here is, that Tezuka's lawyers didn't try to shit all over Lion King, while Disney's Lawyers absolutely did just that.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really buying it. The similarities are there and you got Matthew Broderick saying he thought the whole thing was a remake.

Of course Disney wouldn't be going around saying "yea, we totally copied Kimba". But we have the final product and the similarities are undeniable.

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to go into bollocks lists and comparisons because this tired old debate doesn't matter to me on that level, at all.

TLK doesn't need a defense force, and it doesn't hurt anyone to admit to similarities. I don't care for that comparison video, and I didn't even share it, why would I need to justify myself and be scrutinized on grounds of a video I got nothing to do with? I even acknowledged the '97 movie in my post and would prefer to not get strawmanned into an advocate of the comparisons in that particular video. ;)

I'm a bit weary on Artist sons' opinions after Brian Herbert. Sure, it works the way you frame it as well, but the difference here is, that Tezuka's lawyers didn't try to shit all over Lion King, while Disney's Lawyers absolutely did just that.
I can appreciate your middle-ground ideal, but have you seen the Star Wars threads here? It doesn't exist lol.

Oct 29, 2017
How about them Katzenberg years.

This one controversy always gets the spotlight but is mild compared to the deal that was handed to Richard Williams after working on Who Framed Roger Rabbit and being promised backing for The Thief and The Cobbler. Similarities are actually scarce between it and Aladdin, but imagine how much more damning it would be if Tezuka was working with Disney after being promised a Lion movie, and then they do TLK on their own.

OP
OP
Antoo

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I'm not really buying it. The similarities are there and you got Matthew Broderick saying he thought the whole thing was a remake.

Of course Disney wouldn't be going around saying "yea, we totally copied Kimba". But we have the final product and the similarities are undeniable.
What similarities?

What Disney's lawyers did was absolutely wrong in trying to bury the work of Tezuka. A main point of the video though is that people who lump Kimba and Lion King together do the exact same thing. They downplay his achievements and label him as the guy whose work Disney apparently ripped off. His imdb bio mentions this above any of his other work. He's arguing that people should let Kimba stand alone on its own because at the end of the day it's a very different piece of work. If you go over 100+ episodes of an anime that works with a monster of a week format where new animals are introduced all the time, it is very easy to manipulate footage to make things appear a certain way when they are not.

Sorry if I do come off a bit defensive though. It's mainly coming from the fact that there are drive by posts that do not attempt to engage with the video.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018

You should watch the majority of the video, because he addresses both. The similarities that exist are either from works made after TLK or are very standard tropes. Broderick thought he was doing a remake because he remembered the original show (not very well, mind you), and assumed they must have been related since Simba and Kimba are similar names (also a coincidence). His word doesn't really mean much there.
How about them Katzenberg years.

This one controversy always gets the spotlight but is mild compared to the deal that was handed to Richard Williams after working on Who Framed Roger Rabbit and being promised backing for The Thief and The Cobbler. Similarities are actually scarce between it and Aladdin, but imagine how much more damning it would be if Tetzuka was working with Disney after being promised a Lion movie, and then they do TLK on their own.
Some people actually mix these accounts up, and try to claim Disney was working with Tezuka on a Kimba movie. This isn't backed up by anything. The Richard Williams thing is disappointing, but a similar situation. The similarities are mostly just the same theme, the rest of the movie is nothing alike.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What similarities?

What Disney's lawyers did was absolutely wrong in trying to bury the work of Tezuka. A main point of the video though is that people who lump Kimba and Lion King together do the exact same thing. They downplay his achievements and label him as the guy whose work Disney apparently ripped off. His imdb bio mentions this above any of his other work. He's arguing that people should let Kimba stand alone on its own because at the end of the day it's a very different piece of work. If you go over 100+ episodes of an anime that works with a monster of a week format where new animals are introduced all the time, it is very easy to manipulate footage to make things appear a certain way when they are not.

Sorry if I do come off a bit defensive though. It's mainly coming from the fact that there are drive by posts that do not attempt to engage with the video.

That's circular logic, though. Leo was there first. Leo was a big deal first, both in Japan and the US, as well as Europe and other parts of the world. Mentioning that TLK has a good bunch of similarities isn't downplaying Kimba, it's saying "don't forget where you came from and acknowledge your inspiration".

You can't really downplay Tezuka's cultural importance, he's not Japan's Disney for no reason.

I honestly don't want to spend two hours on the video either, mostly because I probably know every single argument and perspective in it either. This thing could just get worked out if either side stopped trying to hold the absolute truth.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. I didn't expect to actually watch the whole two and a half hours (not familiar with the channel and I was getting anti-SJW vibes) but damn. Cracked lied to me all those years ago. No wonder there was never actually any sort of lawsuit done between the two franchises.

Anyone that comments they aren't going to watch a two hour video and makes a drive-by post saying they know enough about the topic REALLY needs to watch. Especially if you like me never actually saw Kimba. Because damn, anyone that ever claims the stories are the same is just straight up wrong. If strapped on time though...at least watch the first ten minutes.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The dad in the cloud argument is so dumb because it's clearly another Hamlet homage like this video points out. The Animated Hamlet in 1992 used the same method of appearing in the clouds for the King's exit

about the video though, I knew about the horrible racist stuff about the African people but I was not prepared for that other one

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What similarities?

The similarities that the video downplays for 2 hours.

If the similarities are just standard tropes then where are all the other movies and shows like Kimba and Lion King?

OP
OP
Antoo

Antoo

May 1, 2019
That's circular logic, though. Leo was there first. Leo was a big deal first, both in Japan and the US, as well as Europe and other parts of the world. Mentioning that TLK has a good bunch of similarities isn't downplaying Kimba, it's saying "don't forget where you came from and acknowledge your inspiration".

You can't really downplay Tezuka's cultural importance, he's not Japan's Disney for no reason.

I honestly don't want to spend two hours on the video either, mostly because I probably know every single argument and perspective in it either. This thing could just get worked out if either side stopped trying to hold the absolute truth.
If we are following that train of thought, aren't both Kimba and Lion King derivative of this comic?
www.youtube.com

Kimba was created in 1950, and animated in 1965. Simba: King of Beasts came out in 1940.This is just a companion video to my main Video Essay on Kimba/Simba!...

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It's covered in the video; Fred purposely exaggerates comparisons and is basically just full of shit. All of the people who were involved with Kimba artistically (i.e. Tezuka Productions) agree that the similarities are natural to the setting, whereas all of the people who were involved in the business side push the Lion King narrative. I wonder what motive they could have to do that? Hmm....
You are giving too much weight to the Japanese stance. Japanese people are polite and aren't going to say « yeah they ripped us off » as a straight answer.

the parallels between King Leo and TLK are numerous and well documented and can't be just waved away as mere similarities. It's also worth noting that very very few Disney animated movies are actually original works and they're all adaptations of existing tales. To think that they somehow bucked the trend for that one movie only is erring on the forgiving side of things

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
You are giving too much weight to the Japanese stance. Japanese people are polite and aren't going to say « yeah they ripped us off » as a straight answer.

the parallels between King Leo and TLK are numerous and well documented and can't be just waved away as mere similarities. It's also worth noting that very very few Disney animated movies are actually original works and they're all adaptations of existing tales. To think that they somehow bucked the trend for that one movie only is erring on the forgiving side of things
Please, point to the numerous well documented parallels that aren't completely shut down in this video. I am not defending Disney, I am one of their biggest detractors. It's also just ridiculous to say Japanese people are too polite to file a lawsuit.

OP
OP
Antoo

Antoo

May 1, 2019
The similarities that the video downplays for 2 hours.

If the similarities are just standard tropes then where are all the other movies and shows like Kimba and Lion King?
Half of the similarities can be discredited by the fact that they are from a 1997 Kimba movie, which came out after Lion King. Multiple big outlets used this as a source by the way (there's a THR article using it).

Some of the other similarities are the result of manipulative editing. A scene between two lions fighting in Kimba is actually 3-4 different fight scenes from throughout the show cut together (shown in the fact the lion's fur color changes). Another manipulative edit is one between Simba eating bugs and Kimba eating grass. These are completely different scenarios. What is the similarity here? The editing makes you think both scenes revolve around a character acting in disgust to eating something foreign. It's not though. Kimba is a vegetarian throughout the show. He's reacting to the situation he's in. You are making up a narrative out of images that are manipulated.

The rest can be attributed to the type of setting and characters utilize. Are you really claiming that a stampede is an original idea of Kimba, especially when in that show it's played off in a humorous scenario? Can the shows not share a warthog character? Especially when they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT? The warthog in Kimba appears in one episode of the original series with his story involving him trying to woo a girl. Oh, he has a pain fetish too. They share a bird character. So what? The type of bird is completely different and they are completely different characters. With this kind of logic, Kimba is a rip off too:

www.youtube.com

Kimba was created in 1950, and animated in 1965. Simba: King of Beasts came out in 1940.This is just a companion video to my main Video Essay on Kimba/Simba!...

I know I've posted this video several times throughout the thread but some people do not seem to care to actually read the OP. This is the kind of disingenuous parallels that can be made. I guess Tezuka ripped off an American comic?

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I could almost forgive, but then you read stuff like this.

""This is the first I've heard of Kimba or Tezuka. I never heard anything or saw anything about his work," screenwriter Linda Woolverton told the San Francisco Chronicle the next day."

Osamu Tezuka was a creative force whose influence is still being felt today. He's had works find success in America. Disney very specifically knew who he was.

It comes off as shady that they tried to deny the man.

Please, point to the numerous well documented parallels that aren't completely shut down in this video. I am not defending Disney, I am one of their biggest detractors. It's also just ridiculous to say Japanese people are too polite to file a lawsuit.

Keep in mind, Osamu Tezuka took major influence from Disney and had massive respect for them. Given Tezuka's own adaptation of Bambi or this cameo:

Hikari.jpg

BarksTezuka.jpg

I don't know that Tezuka would even want to sue Disney, given what they meant to him.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017

The similarities are from the 1997 Kimba film which has scenes lifted from the Lion King in it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Some of its way too close to dismiss but also a lot of the plagiarism narrative is complete gibberish, like out of context images that look sort of similar etc.
I've got the episodes+movies on dvd and never even connected half the supposed copied scenes because its completely different in context.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If we are following that train of thought, aren't both Kimba and Lion King derivative of this comic?
www.youtube.com

Nah, Leo has way more similarities with Leo, than it has with TLK. But yes, why would it be an issue to admit that Tezuka (or the makers of the anime) could have been inspired by this American comic? That's what artists do, no one is free of influence.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wow. I didn't expect to actually watch the whole two and a half hours (not familiar with the channel and I was getting anti-SJW vibes) but damn. Cracked lied to me all those years ago. No wonder there was never actually any sort of lawsuit done between the two franchises.
Prolly because Adam (YMS) :
-has gone after BLM (multiple times, to boot), namely due to BLM To Pride protests that occurred in 2016 and the subsequent caving in to BLM's demands, as well as BLM Vancouver being disappointed by the inclusion of police in Pride 2017
-Has some...thoughts about beastiality
-Still has this up on this channel for some reason:

-Made some very condescending comments in his Black Panther review because people were excited to see the first predominantly black superhero movie made by Marvel

I'm sure there's other things i'm forgetting but i'd prefer to not derail this any further than other than to say that Adam has a lenghty history of making questionable comment; there's a lot of humor in his older video that is very...chan-like, up to and including images commonly found on chan board.

OP
OP
Antoo

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Nah, Leo has way more similarities with Leo, than it has with TLK. But yes, why would it be an issue to admit that Tezuka (or the makers of the anime) could have been inspired by this American comic? That's what artists do, no one is free of influence.
Then we agree then? I'm not arguing TLK animators did not take inspiration from Kimba, especially when it was such an influential work. Certain iconography is common through all animation. There are so many specific visual cues that are shared across the entire medium such as the hero looking at his reflection through water. We've seen this a million times; it's not proof that Lion King ripped off Kimba. What I'm saying is that this narrative that TLK is a "complete ripoff" is completely disingenuous.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Then we agree then? I'm not arguing TLK animators did not take inspiration from Kimba, especially when it was such an influential work. Certain iconography is common through all animation. There are so many specific visual cues that are shared across the entire medium such as the hero looking at his reflection through water. We've seen this a million times; it's not proof that Lion King ripped off Kimba. What I'm saying is that this narrative that TLK is a "ripoff" is completely disingenuous.

I've said from the beginning, that the biggest, and the ultimate issue with TLK is the sleazy way Disney went about the similarities and the defamation of Tezuka's work. Especially when considering that Kimba was actually a big deal in the US.

Atlantis is more of a ripoff than TLK is, if we wanna talk about Disney ripping off stuff.